Lovenkrands Motivated At Newcastle For Family Reasons

Newcastle’s new signing Peter Lovenkrands has revealed how having a Scottish wife, who is pregnant and a wee daughter already, put pressure on him to do well in his trial at Newcastle United.

peter-lovenkrands-4

Peter Lovenkrands – motivated to do well at Newcastle

We had mentioned that Peter had a Scottish wife, after he was at Rangers for 6 years when he was just 20 years old, so that’s not particularly strange, and we knew it would be conveniently close to Glasgow and his in-laws.

But Peter has told the Sunday Sun today it was more than that:

“As a footballer, I wanted to play and test myself in the best league in the world,” “But I also wanted to come to the Premier League for my family’s sake.”

“I have a wee daughter and my wife — who is Scottish — is pregnant, so it was very important for me to go somewhere where we could get settled.”

“It was very tough for my wife to settle in Germany.”

“I wanted to get away to the Premier League in the summer, and I was very close to a move to Fulham, but it fell through in the last six hours of the transfer window.”

“After that, Schalke got a new coach who wanted to pick players who wanted to stay there, so I didn’t get too many games.”

“And with four months left on my contract it was agreed by both parties that it would be best for me to get away.”

So the offer of a trial at Newcastle was extremely welcome, but it also brought intense pressure on the Dane to get the deal done.

Peter continued:

“I’ve been on tenterhooks for two weeks. It’s been a fantastic opportunity — my agent talked to a couple of other Premier League clubs.”

“But as soon as I knew about Newcastle, I wanted to come here — but it’s also been tough.”

“I wanted to come here so badly that it has been hard mentally for me, and hard for my family. But I’ve got the move now and I just can’t wait to get started.”

“I know the situation here. It’s serious, but it doesn’t scare me at all. We’ve got the players to come through it.”

“I’d do anything to prove myself over the next few months and win a long-term contract here,”

“I’m still very confident in my ability and very ambitious.”

“For example, I want to get back in the Denmark squad for the rest of the World Cup qualifying campaign.”

“I think I could still manage a sub-11 second 100 metres,”

We think we have one very motivated footballer here, and it also explains why he was unsettled at Schalke 04. It will be good to see him flying down that wing, and we’ll have to bring our stop watches.

There’s a saying – nobody is happy if Mama aint happy – and we can tell Peter that is very very true – so keep Mama happy and do great at Newcastle. 😀

Peter – one last thought – a few goals would be very nice too.

• The Real Entertainers

Jan 25, 2009 at 10:10 AM

Its nice to know there is a honest reason for him wanting to come here and i’m sure he’ll appreciate his location.

Makes a change from the money loving young players that are out there.

Read somewhere he still believes he can go sub 11 seconds in the 100metres !!!!

Wonder who will get the most off sides him or Oba!

• Ed Harrison

Jan 25, 2009 at 10:16 AM

It’s in his statement – last line.

• RAHUL

Jan 25, 2009 at 10:23 AM

come on guys, i know such inactivity in the transfer market is causing a gr8 deal of frustation
    i for cant concentrate on my studies[political science honours], but lets wait till the end of thr transfer window, then things will be clear for all to see, the prob is that we seem to respond to every rumour and crap much like our financial situation which become clear couple of days back, so lets wait and watch

• Ericles

Jan 25, 2009 at 10:24 AM

Hey, is Lovenkrands missus far gone enough for the bairn to be born a Geordie? I think we have a good signing here, and he sounds a genuine bloke.

• Marty-Toon

Jan 25, 2009 at 10:26 AM

Hope he can skin a few defences then with that pace 🙂
    C`mon a few more players this week JK……..
    Get it done already

• totsy

Jan 25, 2009 at 10:29 AM

this guy for me is better than owen

micheal is past it and has really lost his pace

sub 11 seconds……..him and martins up front will cause problems……we could play him on the wing too so duff wont be on the pitch and carrol up front for oba to feed off

• Toon Graeme

Jan 25, 2009 at 10:38 AM

Aye Loven opens up opportunity. The question is weather out tactics master will re-write the nufc script for the pitch!

I cant wait to see him next week. With Oba’s and Lovens pace we could see some goals.

I still think 4 3 3 will be a way forward for us. With an attack of Oba, MO and Loven.

Cant see it like. He’s never used it yet!

• Will

Jan 25, 2009 at 10:41 AM

I like the sound of him and my mate, who is a rangers fan, says he was pretty popular at Ibrox.

• Tom

Jan 25, 2009 at 10:42 AM

Lovenkrands and Oba up top with Owen just behind them in the 4-3-3 would be quite impressive. A midfield of Barton, Jonas and LuaLua behind them as well.

• Alex

Jan 25, 2009 at 10:44 AM

when the lad was at Rangers they played him on the wing but in his last season he played as a striker and got 18 goals . What do you guys think ,Lovenkrands (sub 11 seconds) & Oba (even quicker) as the new front 2 . That pace will destroy every defence in the premiership

• Californication

Jan 25, 2009 at 10:52 AM

One of the biggest assets any side can have in this league is out-and-out pace. The more pace we have in our side, the more problems we will cause the opposition.

• Toon Graeme

Jan 25, 2009 at 10:57 AM

I think he an Jonas would link up well. With Jonas’ ability to jink past 4 players and Loven pace could be dangerous and our problem has been the finishing.

I see Wed night as a new start to the season.

NO more excuses, its an all out fight til the last whistle blows!

• Prince Bassong

Jan 25, 2009 at 11:01 AM

Apologies for going off topic but IMScouting has a report of a supposed Arsenal target, Mohamed Diame.

Diame joined Rayo Vallecano in the summer and has played 19 games this season claiming one goal in the win over Alaves in September. He was also sent-off in the 2-0 defeat to Elche last month for picking up two yellow cards.

The 6.0ft defensive midfielder is according to IMScouting “a very talented defensive midfielder, who reminds scouts of Osasuna’s Sunny (on loan from Valencia). He has already attracted interest from several big teams in Spain and has the potential to play at the highest European level. He signed for two years at Rayo in the summer of 2008, and renewed his contract until 2012 in October. His release clause is 6 million euros, but Rayo would be ready to sell him for 2-3 million euros.”

IMScouting’s network of scouts in Spain, add: “In terms of ability, Diame is a strong and true fighter, an aggressive, tireless worker in the center of the field. He controls with both feet, which makes it easy for him to escape pressure and send accurate long balls to the attack. His greatest ability is aerial domination, as he has a very good natural jump. He is also technically skilled, knows when to release the ball at the right time which is very important for his position and he can join the attack on set pieces. Diame has perfect tactical positioning, just in front of the defensive line and he almost never loses his position.”

Nw obviously this is the internet and you can’t assume everything to be 100% reliable but this guy is exactly what we need at a price we could afford. Let’s hope Wise and co have their fingers on the button as players like this could prove to be equivalent to Bassong.

• Dragonera

Jan 25, 2009 at 11:03 AM

Toon Graeme

I agree mate, Lovenkrands’ pace will take some of the pressure off of Jonas and it will be even better once Martins returns. If we sign the Finnish LB and that young versatile defender all we will then need is a quality DM. If we get M’Bia or someone similar this transfer window will have been a success imo.

• Alex

Jan 25, 2009 at 11:04 AM

Toon Graeme
    i hope the players think the same “all for one and one for all ” mentality is whats needed .

• Alex

Jan 25, 2009 at 11:06 AM

How far off a return is Martins ?

• Shiftay

Jan 25, 2009 at 11:06 AM

have we got another sibierski on our hands?

lets hope so, that fella was a great freebie!

he still loves newcastle you know – didnt he say something about a season ticket when he retires and hes gonna bring his kids? lol

• Toon Graeme

Jan 25, 2009 at 11:09 AM

Alex – Im sure Oba is due back for Mackems.

Poss a sub – but he is back in training and running etc. Sure read in the Chronicle.

Fills you full of butterflies for next week.

Love teh derby match!!!!!

• Toon1978

Jan 25, 2009 at 11:10 AM

Well i have come tot the conclusion that NUFC are not going to bring anyone in this window and with the games we have coming up in Man City, Sunderland and the West Brom and then the big boys to battle against we are going to be in deep trouble. No strength in depth at all and if we loose Given and Owen without any replacement we are as good as relegated. The price of the club will plummet and Ashley will see the true force of the NUFC fans and apart from that he will loose millions upon millions of pounds. You would think he would release the funds to get the quantity in at least because no GOOD player in their right mind would want to play for JK or come to a club that is more unstable than the middle east. Tough times ahead for NUFC all down to inept people in charge of the club now and in the past, all in it for their own selfish needs and both blaming each other for the state of the club. NUFC do not deserve the supporters they have and maybe next season Ashley and the previous owners will see what they have done to a once proud club that was fighting Man utd for the title to a CC side that will struggle for years to get back to what they once were.

• Toon Graeme

Jan 25, 2009 at 11:16 AM

Ive got a feeling that JFK has told AShley he can keep us up and MA is running the risk until the summer. JFK has probably given the lads a right knackin after the Blackburn match and rightly so.

Look at now as a start to the season and a big mother of a battle. Have faith lads.

• Alex

Jan 25, 2009 at 11:19 AM

That is an awesome thought Martins & Lovenkrands running full pace at the Scum defence .

• Tom

Jan 25, 2009 at 11:22 AM

Prince Bassong

I think we were linked with him at one point, either earlier in the window or back in December. Ed had an article about him at one point, if I remember right!

• Sir_Bobby_U_Legend

Jan 25, 2009 at 11:25 AM

Looks like Sir Bobby was after him back in his youth… surely that can only be good sign …

• Toon1978

Jan 25, 2009 at 11:30 AM

Been watching a few videos of Lovenkrands on you tube and i have to admit he does look extrememly quick and has one hell of a strike on him but that was before he went to Schalke. I would love to know what happened at Schalke as to why he was not getting his game. IS HE ANOTHER HAS BEEN…. we shall soon see.

• sirjasontoon

Jan 25, 2009 at 11:47 AM

If he plays as much as he talks it might be a bonus..I just think he is way past his sell buy date and the other kids we have signed will be first team players next year in the championship.

I can’t see us doing anything in this window apart from Mike getting much needed casino chips off the back of Givens transfer.

Sad days to be a toon fan. : (

• sirjasontoon

Jan 25, 2009 at 11:49 AM

Bobby bought some pretty poor players if you do your homework…so I wouldn’t even try to draw comparisons..like clutching at straws that fella.

• Alex

Jan 25, 2009 at 12:07 PM

Toon 1978
    last season he was injured for a while and this season Schalke have a new coach that has brought his own players in and wants to give the youth players a chance . On top of that his contract was running down this summer and lovenkrands had already said he wanted out and try to find a club in the UK

• CLINT FLICK

Jan 25, 2009 at 12:49 PM

Lovenkrands may be past is sell by date(free/loan)…But, hopefully not past his ‘use by’ date!..

• Sav

Jan 25, 2009 at 2:08 PM

All very well to say ‘we’ll get players in by the transfer window closes.’
    We will have lost out on a dozen winnable points by then and bew facing into matches with sides we aren’t going to beat with or without new signings. That’s the reality. Those dozen points – what might they be worth come May?

• Tom_Toon

Jan 25, 2009 at 3:00 PM

• BT9MAG

Jan 25, 2009 at 3:36 PM

Pace is brilliant – means we can break with/use him as an outlet, but look at Aaron Lennon…fast as f**k but a poor end product!

Having said that – Duff/Zog/Jonas – I’d feel inclined to start him for his pace ahead of Duff and leZog anyway!

• hisnameisjonas

Jan 26, 2009 at 2:11 AM

reminds me alot of robert! great pace, smart player, lots of flaire and a great left foot. I reckon this is a yet another bargain in the same mould as bassong and jonas

• Tom_Toon