There is some decent news today in the transfer market today as we seem to be much closer to signing a few good players, but we have to ensure we hold onto most of our current crop, although we still think we could lose Shay Given this week.
Newcastle still want this player – 22 year old Stephane Mbia
Here’s what we know today regarding the transfers Newcastle are trying to negotiate, with a short 7 days left in the transfer market
- Albin Ebondo is on Tyneside today to undergo a medical and agree terms with a fee of £3.5M having been agreed with his club Toulouse, for the 24 year old 5’11” French right back.
- News today that a 3M fee for Scotland and Celtic center-back Stephen McManus would in all likelihood be accepted by the Scottish club, since the 26 year-old Celtic captain now wants to leave Scotland. Stephen, who is 6’2″ tall has played for Celtic 131 times (20 goals) and for Scotland 17 times (one goal).
- The Newcastle Journal is reporting that we are still in negotiations for Stephane Mbia from Rennes, and they indicate the two clubs are getting closer on an agreement for the 22 years old 6’2″ central midfielder, who has been compared to Patrick Vierra. The lad has played for Rennes 92 times (6 goals) and for Cameroon 12 times (3 goals).
- The 20-year-old HJK Helsinki defender, Jukka Raitala, who is 5’11” tall, very physical in his play and can play anywhere along the back four, has finished his trial on Tyneside last week, along with a number of other players, and we would expect something in the next couple of days on who we will sign – if anybody.
Raitala would seem to be a great acquisition for us at just £450K, and he will only get better. We had thought Jukka was the defender Joe was talking about signing last week, but that turned out to be the Cameroon International, Ebondo.
- We could still lose Shay Given to Manchester City with the Eastlands club expected to launch their 3rd bid for Given. Apparently the first two were for £3M and £5M, depending on who you believe, so a bid closer to £10M could do the deal. But we still think Joe wants to keep Shay if he possibly can – after all he’s Irish. :D.
We would hope to get 20 year-old Michael Johnson and 22 year-old Nedum Onouha in part exchange, but it looks like both players do not want to move permanently right now, and loan deals could be worked out, for at least one of them.
- There’s a report in the Daily Mirror that Portsmouth will now bid £4M for Joey Barton, but haven’t Joey and Kinnear already made it clear the 26 year old is going nowhere?
And in fact Barton could be Newcastle’s key player in the run-in to the season – as he seems keen and determined to repay Newcastle United back for the way they have stood by him over the last 18 months, when many a club would have just kicked him out.
- More news yesterday from Charlie boy, and this time he bad mouths Newcastle United. We did not report the story. We would advise N’Zogbia not to bite the hand that feeds him, and to stop his immature antics to leave Newcastle. That’s as polite we can be about this young Frenchman – who is getting on our nerves.
Things seem to have moved forward over the weekend with news that Ebondo looks likely to sign today, we are still interested in the impressive Scot, Stephan McManus, and a deal could even be struck soon for the very good Stephane Mbia, so things don’t look quite as bad as they did last Friday.
Of course we have a very important game on Wednesday night at Man City, and we’d hope Shay is still with us for that game.
A win would send most fans into orbit, after the terrible doom and gloom surrounding the club over the last several weeks – so we’ll hope for that.
Howay The Lads.