Joe Kinnear Taking Firm Control Of Newcastle Transfers

It seems that Joe Kinnear is not all that happy with the way the transfers have been handled at Newcastle United in January, and has decided to take a hands-on approach.

joe-kinnear-34343

Joe Kinnear – getting fully involved in the transfers

After the Sunderland match yesterday Kinnear spoke of getting league points on the board as quickly as possible:

“I want to get 16 or 17 points as quickly as possible and then forget about this season,”

“I want to start again with a different attitude and a different team. “

“This has been a struggle from day one.” “We’ve been torn to shreds by turmoil.”

But Kinnear also mentioned that just trying in the transfer market is not enough, which is why we think Joe will be taking a more hands-on approach today until 5:00 pm.

Joe was asked if he had talked to Mike Ashley, just after the game yesterday:

“I haven’t spoken to him today, but we spoke last night,”

“We’re trying to get the finances right and we’re trying to get players.” “

Trying is not enough.”

That last sentence is significant.

We’re not saying that the transfer market these days is at all easy to do business in, but we also think that Newcastle either don’t have the talent, or don’t have enough people involved in doing the deals.

That was proved in the summer, and it’s also been proved in January, and it looks to us that if Joe hadn’t got involved so much lately, we would have been in the same mess with not enough players brought in.

Joe is a doer, and he wants things done.

There are two kinds of people – those who get the work done – and those who talk about getting the work done – and it seems to us we have too many of the latter doing our transfer business.

Whether it’s his job or not to get players in – it’s not as he’s only supposed to identify the players – Joe will be on the phones today trying to make the deals.

That’s fine with us, because at least we know the job will get done, and Joe doesn’t seem to see Dennis Wise as a threat or anything – just someone who can help him get the deals done.

Joe said last night he’d like to get 4 deals done today – so we are hoping they are all incoming deals.

And we’ll know within 9 hours. 😀

Comments Welcome.

• magforlife

Feb 2, 2009 at 7:56 AM

Fellow fans –
    1. Given is history, stop pining for him and get behind Stevie Harper who was excellent and needs your support.
    2. JFK is trying his hardest, his teams are lacking quality at the moment but never effort, he aslo needs your support.
    3. It has always been a painful experience being a Toon Fan, get used to it or support someone else.
    4. Why are fans on here complimenting Sunlin? we had a scratch team out and they had their first choice forward line and midfield and we more than matched them, yes we were lucky with the pen but we also had numerous goal scoring chances.
    5. This is not the time to be siding with the enemy or undermining our club or players and the support yesterday was more like it with no dirty washing shown in public and Sky pundits were gutted with the result.

• Chizzy_Toon

Feb 2, 2009 at 8:09 AM

Totally agree with you magforlife – onwards and upwards as they say. As for the ganme yesterday, it goes to show that even our patched up side together with the backing of the mighty toon army can still put in a display.

• Brettoon

Feb 2, 2009 at 8:14 AM

9hrs left…

• Prince Bassong

Feb 2, 2009 at 8:15 AM

Huszti’s gone to Zenit – That’s another we’ve missed out on.

• magpie6699

Feb 2, 2009 at 8:15 AM

One point about the penalty – the contact was no less than the supposed “push” by Guti that led to Richardson’s free-kick in the first half – and more from behind than that one. And how come Bardsley didn’t see red TWICE and Whitehead at least one yellow?
    Decisions. decisions – Sunlin’ shouldn’t get too worked up-they had their share of luck – as Sbragia admitted!

• Geordiedoonsooth

Feb 2, 2009 at 8:19 AM

magforlife I agree 100% with you. Let’s get behind the club the support yesterday was outstanding fired up by the opera singer blasting out the Blaydon Races. We need a bit more class but if they can give the effort they gave in the 2nd half (which I enjoyed) then we should be okay. I thought apart from the 1st 25 minutes we were the better side, and could & should have won if we’d had Martins or Owen I think we would have scored at least 2 goals. I’ve been supporting the Toon since I was 7 (I turned 60 last year) & what’s happenning now is not new it’s happenned at least 10 time in those 53 years. I can remember relegation in the early 60’s & a few years later when Lord Westwood was chairman I stood in the Leazes end singing “we all Live in a sinking submarine” & “Westwood is a Pirate”. Nowts new the most important trhing is we keep supporting the Toon because “Newcastle is Newcastle United & Newcastle United is Newcastle” Haway the Lads

• Darling27

Feb 2, 2009 at 8:19 AM

I’ll be very unhappy if we don’t sign a left back today.

• Charlietoon

Feb 2, 2009 at 8:23 AM

I think Steven Taylor needs to work on becoming a good wing back. lets face it he has some pace, can run at other players and does not mind getting in the box unlike the rest of the team.

Apparently we are after Luis Garcia with Enrique going the other direction although this is only from the tribal football which I am ashamed to say is an Aussie site. god it sucks

• Chizzy_Toon

Feb 2, 2009 at 8:24 AM

Enrique was outstanding yesterday, i have backed this kid all along. The way him and guti linked play was great. I hope he can keep this form consistant. As for bassong well what an absolute gem of a find.

Fingers crossed we can get a few in through the door today, if we can get 4 in I will be happy.

• Charlietoon

Feb 2, 2009 at 8:25 AM

Cant wait to have Martins back….and also what is with joe telling Shola to play injured. I mean its Shola…is he really a better option the Ranger fully fit let alone injured?

• valle

Feb 2, 2009 at 8:26 AM

Why would we need another left back?… Enrique is not our worst player at all and Taylor can play there too, i also agree that Enrique was pretty good yesterday, so perhaps he is slowly turning the corner?… IMO we need a central midfielder and an attacker.

• valle

Feb 2, 2009 at 8:27 AM

Charlietoon… Or the lion for that matter, he is after all a Danish international.

• Charlietoon

Feb 2, 2009 at 8:29 AM

I still think Enriques distribution is very poor and a lot of players need to work on their final ball into the box. Nolan got a free great passes in yesterday and I think him and Barton would be a solid midfield. not particularly creative but solid.

Did anyone else pretty much assume Shola would miss the penalty. I know I was wishing that anyone else but him would step up even Harper!!

• BlacknWhite Barmy

Feb 2, 2009 at 8:29 AM

If shola had to play when not fit – does this not tell you that we need a striker – but first an ATACKING CM – someone with pace and flair and hte abiltity to pass

• Charlietoon

Feb 2, 2009 at 8:32 AM

Yeah Mclovin looked pretty sharp I think! He had some good plays and I’d like to see him given the 90 mins to get him some opportunities to create. I would have rather Duff played up front with Carroll and Loven started than a half fit shola but I suppose as we just signed him for another three years we might as well get some use out of him

• Hekvig

Feb 2, 2009 at 8:42 AM

Well lets see now how you shop during haste. Usually when I do it I never get the right stuff, hopefully Newcastle can 😉

• ian

Feb 2, 2009 at 8:44 AM

I said it before only a person like Joe could handle that board, he is like a moth to light he will just keep bouncing off the bulb where others would give up.

He causes himself a lot of grief, must lose half his wages in fines but doesnt let them get him down, or stop him voicing his opinion, you just know no matter what they say to him or how they treat him in that boardroom it will not stop him from keeping his point of view or having his say, perfect man for the job, probably the only man for the job.

I am behind him.

• rowntree1987

Feb 2, 2009 at 8:52 AM

i think we will sign riise …veloso and a striker on loan and also ryan taylor

• repo

Feb 2, 2009 at 8:59 AM

i think we sign nobody..

dont build your hopes up lads

• BT9MAG

Feb 2, 2009 at 9:07 AM

McLoven shouldn’t start I don’t think – 30 minutes as an impact player would see him at his most affective imo…Having said that, Gutierrez can show pace and guile for 90 minutes so there is hope for the semi-Scot yet!

• BenjiToon

Feb 2, 2009 at 9:07 AM

I wish I shared Ed’s enthusiasm and confidence in Joe. But I can’t believe the club would just hand him the right to sign players, when this is not the way they have operated previously.

Joe’s best bet is to convince Ashley personally over his buys…be on the phone to him every minutes of every hour until 5pm.

I’m praying we some sign talent!

• sirjasontoon

Feb 2, 2009 at 9:22 AM

Here you go jOE Take control son…with a day left in the transfer window haha the club is a joke.

Jk in charge next season will be a disaster..he talks uttter crap…Yawn.

• Nick D

Feb 2, 2009 at 9:43 AM

If Kinnear is here next season, I will be devastated. He’s the ex Wimbledon manager for god’s sake.

The longer he stays, it will be just route one up to a 7 foot Carroll type, no passing through midfield with any creative playmakers
    and pathetically and negatively trying to play offside, instead of playing a sweeper. Plus no good youngsters getting a chance. Just more Duff, Butt and Smith etc.

Martinez or Di Matteo is the way forward. Good young managers who encourage passing football on the deck, good youth development, foreign but played in the premiership and have worked their way up through the lower leagues. Plus loads of contacts.

Next season we must have a proper manager.

• Archie Brand

Feb 2, 2009 at 9:54 AM

As supporters we always seem to be bigger fans of effort than we are of skill

We like Jonas because he’s all arms legs and hair as he heads off down the wing. In truth he’s not that fast (some days he cant get past the first player) and his distribution yesterday was garbage.

Shola – well, what can we say about Shola Bambi-oni?
    Yet again his appalling second touches destroyed any chance we had of creating opportunities and I agree with others here that Ranger should be given the odd run out, or put Carrol out there with LuaLua
    And dont bother with that “he saved us the match” crap – that doesn’t make up for the garbage he played – injured or not.

Coloccini needs a sorting to be any good. He went AWOL again last night and cost us the points.

You have to love JFKs attitude. The Titanic’s going down and he’s heading for the swimming pool. Hasn’t quite caught up.

Dont think he’s quite figured out who Dennis Wise is either. Rumour has it Joe bumped into Dennis in the corridor before the last meeting and asked him to sort out the photocopier and arrange some coffee.
    Those boyish good looks.

I can never tell the difference – which one is he Ant or Dec?

• cashleyout

Feb 2, 2009 at 10:12 AM

if jfk is here for the next 2 season expect another 2 seasons fighting off relegation. i just cant see him being the man leading us up the league and fighting for european places. shame really but its a fact.

• Sav

Feb 2, 2009 at 10:32 AM

Under 450 minutes to wait now…………………………