Newcastle May Go After Hyypia Again In Summer

Liverpool defender Sami Hyypia has come out and verified that both Sunderland and Newcastle were after his services in January.

Sami Hyypia – Liverpool contract ends in the summer

Joe  Kinnear has said that Newcastle failed with a late bid to bring Hyypia to Newcastle, on the last day of the transfer window last Monday.

And Hyypia confirmed that when he talked to Sky Sports yesterday:

“There were a lot of rumours, and a few offers as well. Newcastle and Sunderland were both really interested in signing me.”

“But Liverpool made it clear that they were not willing to sell me. That was it, although I might have considered another option.”

“The club decide these things, Liverpool didn’t want to sell me. So I will spend the rest of the season in Liverpool, this is my 10th season and it is a great achievement.”

“I will consider my options again in the summer when my current Liverpool contract expires,”

“It is too early to say what will happen then. It is not my style to worry about these things in advance.”

“Now I will concentrate on helping my team to win trophies in a role the manager decides, whether it is on the bench or on the pitch.”

Sami is still playing well for Liverpool, and has put in some excellent performances for the Merseyside club this season, even though he’s now 35 years old.

Sami would be a good buy for Newcastle, because he can add experience to our young back four, and help to mentor Bassong, S Taylor and Tamas Kadar.

But getting him will depend on whether Liverpoool will offer him a contract in the summer, and Sunderland may still be interested in getting a center-half in , since both Davenport and Ben Haim have both been signed on loan only, until the end of the season.

Sunderland could still be in for Sami in the summer, and again challenge Newcastle for the Finnish international.

What do you think?

• Nick D

Feb 7, 2009 at 8:54 AM

15 years too late

• Toon_Sydney

Feb 7, 2009 at 8:54 AM

if yes a 1 year deal only his 35 , one semi serious injury like metatarsal will probably end his career so not sure if its worth a risk, after all every1 in newcastles injured

• Tom

Feb 7, 2009 at 8:55 AM

Pass. Wholeheartedly.

• GHUD

Feb 7, 2009 at 9:00 AM

surely there are better , younger players we can focus on bringing in at summer.

• AussieToon

Feb 7, 2009 at 9:04 AM

Not bad in a relegation scrap, but not needed for next season, hopefully.

• The Real Entertainers

Feb 7, 2009 at 9:06 AM

I understand the need for experienced and leaders at the back, but surely we can buy some one a bit younger!

• The Real Entertainers

Feb 7, 2009 at 9:09 AM

No Llambias interview in todays Journal!

Could it be more lies from the Newcastle board?

• Dan4Toon

Feb 7, 2009 at 9:12 AM

i wouldn’t go for him in the summer 2bh .. our cb next yr will b bassong, colo and Taylor we would need another 1 such as: distin or samba plus we would have young tozer and kadar coming through !!! we would have beye and Taylor for rb and then we would need a lb to go with enrique who i hope doesn’t go !!

• toonarmyuk

Feb 7, 2009 at 9:13 AM

FAR. TOO. OLD!

• bennytoon

Feb 7, 2009 at 9:14 AM

I had a dream about mike ashley last night trying to kill me. I woke up in a sweat. I am coming on here far to often!

• valle

Feb 7, 2009 at 9:19 AM

I have to be honest, considering Colo has now had more than half a season to adjust, im very disapointed with his performances… Im not sure Hyypia is the answer tho, but i do think that a seasoned EPL player who is vocal would be very good alongside Bass… Distin, Scharner or Samba?

• valle

Feb 7, 2009 at 9:20 AM

Bennytoon… Only Mike?… I would think there would be a few more after you 😉

• ginkoh

Feb 7, 2009 at 9:35 AM

I don’t think we need him next season. He’s too old and passed his best career.

Ok, we need more experience but I don’t think he’s the answer.

• Oleg G

Feb 7, 2009 at 9:39 AM

valle

Colo is not that bad. He is not as good as we were expecting from him to be. But its known that not British players have sometimes weaknesses in the D department. But I say, give him more time.

Agree that we need to get a good player like Distin or Samba (who is Scharner? sorry, don’t know him).

I am worried about our Attack.
    Yes, right now we have Oba, Owen, Viduka, Xisco and Shola+Smith, all can play in the front. Also we have some young players.

But Viduka Xisco and Owen probably will be out.
    Shola and Smith, we can’t count on them.
    Carroll, still young, also can’t really count on him being there for us. Oba, Injuries every year.

I think we are missing at least one GOOD plyaer in the attacking possition.

I am not saying we don’t need a really good center mid. and 2-3 deffenders.. But lets not forget that you win games by scoring goals.

We scores 30 Goals in 24 Games. That is 1.4 goals per game. and athough we are number 10 in the scoring list of teams this season, we usually score after we already got one in our own net.

• valle

Feb 7, 2009 at 9:53 AM

Oleg G… Thats true, but i just cant see him getting much better… He is great at bringing the ball out of defense IMO, but he just lack the pace and power needed.

Scharner is a centreback from Wigan who is just what we need.

I agree that we need more in attack, but lets not forget the lion, if he gets his chance im sure he would do quite well for us… Still, we need a very good physical attacker, as well as a good right wing, a backup for left back and a top central midfielder.

I would like somethin like this, hoping its realistic, but you tell me…

Left Back… Baines 1,5
    Central Mid… Johnson 8
    Right Wing… a Valencia or Bentley would be great but too expensive i reckon, any ideas?
    CentreBack… Scharner 7
    Attack… Bendtner 8

• DanToon

Feb 7, 2009 at 10:20 AM

Our new manager might not want him in the summer! Kinnear will be gone by then man!

• Bill F

Feb 7, 2009 at 11:02 AM

Nice one Joe, that will show the soccer world that we really are an ambitious club. Shades of Rush and Barnes!!!!

• Toon_Factor

Feb 7, 2009 at 11:47 AM

He will be 36 no no no

• Jan Stavik

Feb 7, 2009 at 11:53 AM

Valle, whats the point of bringing in players that are no better than the ones we have already?! Spending some 40m on these guys would get you sacked as a toon-manager asap.

Of the lads you want to bring in, the only ones strengtening the XI would be Bentley and Valencia, and they’d cost 15m.

As for Hyypia, no thanks. Bringing in 35 year olds are nonsense if they want to bring the club forward.

• Tom_Toon