Lovenkrands Looked A Class Act On Saturday

Peter Lovenkrands had more than a good game for Newcastle on Saturday, and looked a class player up front all afternoon.

peter-lovenkrands-woid

Peter Lovenkrands – this boy can play

And the crowd was right behind the Danish International, and the Newcastle faithful at the game gave him a standing ovation, when he was replaced near the end by Xisco.

Lovenkrands responded to the crowd’s support by scoring his first goal for Newcastle, and a very good opportunist goal it was too, after just 9 minutes. It was a clinical finish, that would have been so easy to have missed.

The former Rangers striker was delighted with the result and his goal on Saturday, and Peter told the Evening Chronicle today:

“The fans were great all game.” “I could hear them chanting my name, and it gave me a big lift.”

“I was absolutely buzzing the whole day when I found out I was starting, but I was very nervous as well.”

“Starting in the Premier League and scoring is incredible, but the most important thing was that we got the three points.”

“My last goal was maybe a year ago.” “I had a couple of reserve team goals, but it’s been a long time on the big scene.”

“It was just great to help the team.”

“Especially in the first half, I thought we looked really good. Shola and I held the ball up well, and we did a good job first half.”

The fans have already taken to the Dane, and if he can keep up this form, and especially bang in a few goals for us, he’ll be very popular indeed, and likely to get a contract extension in the summer.

But we hear from the Glasgow Rangers fans that he can be a bit inconsistent, so we’ll be looking for some good consistent performances at Newcastle, when he gets his chance.

With any luck he could have had more goals on Saturday, and he showed he has an eye for goal, and looked a very very good buy – for nothing. 😀

Peter has to be happy with his contribution on Saturday – certainly the Toon Army were, and Peter seems to be really buzzing at his new club.

That’s great to see.

And one last thing we shouldn’t forget – the Newcastle fans at the game on Saturday were just fabulous – once again – and certainly they are our 12th man this season.

• Pons Aelius

Feb 9, 2009 at 2:05 PM

A definite MOTM performance for me. Looked like a good buy. He’s never going to be world class but hey, he’s 10 times as good as Shola!

• Tom_Toon

Feb 9, 2009 at 2:07 PM

I like him, but I fear he may be dropped next match for Martins, although I’d like Lovenkrands-Martins upfront, it would scare defences but JFK likes the big man-small man and all that so it will probably be Ameobi.

• Tom_Toon

Feb 9, 2009 at 2:07 PM

Ameobi-Martins*

• Tom_Toon

Feb 9, 2009 at 2:09 PM

Also I like Lovenkrands as he tells it how it is, a lot of players when interviewed after matches dont say too much that conflicts with the managers tactics etc, but he was saying stuff like we dropped to deep in the second half, we should have attacked a bit more etc. I like to hear that.

• ObaFan2

Feb 9, 2009 at 2:09 PM

Smith should learn from this guy!

• sahota

Feb 9, 2009 at 2:14 PM

I think if he is given start in some of games or even second half 25-30 minutes, I think he can score atleast 4-5 more goals for us this season and that would be great. I would like that Joe give him chance in few games. Simple reason for him to perform is that he is feeling very comfortable at Newcastle plus he has to prove a point before he gets extension on this contract. That will make him play the best he can.

• toonarmyuk

Feb 9, 2009 at 2:15 PM

Of course Rangers fans are going to say he’s inconsistent….bitter that he left no doubt.

One point – anyone got any thoughts on Xisco coming on, effectively quashing runours that we had him on a pay-for-play fee? Or that’s my take on it anyway. They obviously REALLY don’t rate him!

• Pons Aelius

Feb 9, 2009 at 2:16 PM

If Kinnear is stupid enough to play Shola ahead of Carroll, Martins or Lovenkrands he deserves the sack!

• DanishToon

Feb 9, 2009 at 2:20 PM

Being Danish, I’m delighted to see another Dane join the magpies… Can’t wait to see if Løvenkrands still has som pace left in him.. Hope he will be consistant..!

• bennytoon

Feb 9, 2009 at 2:24 PM

You would have thought newcastle had just beaten real madrid with all the articles today. Mowbray even said himself that it was west broms worst performance to date. I think people could be getting carried away again and will be back feeling sorry for themselves after the everton game.

• Toon Graeme

Feb 9, 2009 at 2:26 PM

Anyone going to the ressies tonight at SJP?

• Ross

Feb 9, 2009 at 2:26 PM

the general feeling from Rangers fans i know is that he will perform in order to get his permanent deal, and his form will slump from then on in. He’s apparently guilty of suddenly pulling his socks up and trying when contract renewal rolls round.

I however am refusing to beleive this will be the case with us. He seems like he wants to play for us and from what i’ve seen he had a canny game on saturday, was pleased he got on the scoresheet like. Hopefully the first of a few vital goals he’ll score. Still looks quick, and if he can make a nuisance of himself up top with his pace, and pitch in with a few goals then i’ll be happy enough.

• Toon Graeme

Feb 9, 2009 at 2:29 PM

Bennytoon – well done on your point yesterday. A storming performance against a 10 man team. I would have thought that you would have walked it considering, what with all you high class million pound signings and Harry’s attacking tactics.

• Tom_Toon

Feb 9, 2009 at 2:29 PM

Bennytoon – If I were you I’d be worried abou your Spuds, my Spud mates are cacking their slacks.

• AshSays

Feb 9, 2009 at 2:29 PM

Rooney is also inconsistent. I tought Shola was very poor, looked injured and couldn’t understand why he wasn’t replaced with Viduka or Xisco earlier. We also don’t seem to know how to play when we are winning, we kept on a throwing long balls up front (and loosing them) instead of holding posession.

• TOON LAD

Feb 9, 2009 at 2:33 PM

—————————–HARPER————————–
    S.TAYLOR—BASSONG——-COLO——ENRIQUE
    R.TAYLOR——NOLAN—-SMITH—–GUTIERREZ
    —————MARTINS—-LOVENKRANDS———

THAT WOULD BE MY FIRST CHOICE TEAM IF WE PLAY THAT AGAINST EVERTON WE’LL WIN BUT AMEOBI WILL PROBABLY START. C’MON JOE PICK THAT TEAM

• bennytoon

Feb 9, 2009 at 2:34 PM

toon graeme- we dominated the game for 90 minutes and it is not always easy playing against 10 men. I seem to remember there kids giving your first team a spanking in the cup last year .

Tomtoon- i dont know why your friends would worry. we looked good yesterday even though we couldnt score.

• Tom_Toon

Feb 9, 2009 at 2:37 PM

I watched you Spuds yesterday, lots of possesion, but you were poor, Keane was shocking, Pavlyuchenko even worse, Ekotto even worse.

Modric was decent though and Palacios was class, you didn’t create many clear chances though against an injury ravange, second-string, 10 men, Arsenal side.

• DanToon

Feb 9, 2009 at 2:38 PM

v Everton…

——————–Harper

R. Taylor – Coloccini – Bassong – Enrique

—— Duff —— Nolan —— Jonas

—————Lovenkrands

———–Carroll —— Martins

Subs: Krul, Butt, S. Taylor, Ameobi, Viduka, Smith, Edgar.

• Dingo†®

Feb 9, 2009 at 2:39 PM

• Bill F

Feb 9, 2009 at 2:40 PM

Was I watching a different game, cos I thought Shola was decent on Saturday. He laid on the first goal (even if the defender did cock -up a bit) and his persistance helped set up the second. He constantly challenged in the air helping to distract the WB defence and some of his link up play was good. He was also inches away from scoring a goal a goal and getting injured in the process, a brave effort. I have not been one of his admirers in the past but he deserves some credit for his current play.

• bennytoon

Feb 9, 2009 at 2:41 PM

tomtoon-haha. it was hardly second string. Only fibreglass was missing. Keane worked hard i thought. Pav and ekotto i agree were poor. On that showing do you honestly think they will be near the bottom for to much longer? I thought the midfield was very good.

• Toon Graeme

Feb 9, 2009 at 2:43 PM

Bennytoon – were not talking about cup matches are we ya tool.

There is a fine line between domination and 3 points and Almunia was in the way of that line too. A well earned point as I say.

Why take a olive branch of conversation and turn it around and get at me. Thats simply not tennis is it. In fact I think our friendship is really strained now and that upsets me.

• ObaFan2

Feb 9, 2009 at 2:43 PM

Bill F, I agree, Shola did seem to work hard and did ok at rattling their defence. We should/could have scored more but maybe they could have too.

As for Spuds…. WHO CARES!

• safferman

Feb 9, 2009 at 2:45 PM

I rate Loven, he should see the pitch before Smith every time!

• TOON LAD

Feb 9, 2009 at 2:46 PM

WHEN DO WE PLAY SPURS WE’LL DEFINITELY GET 3 POINTS THERE NO WORRYING ABOUT THAT GAME. AIN’T THAT RITE BENNYTOON

• valle

Feb 9, 2009 at 2:49 PM

Spurs always perform against the top teams, but then they collapse when they meet hard working middle teams with def tacs.

• Bill F

Feb 9, 2009 at 2:51 PM

Actually you have to admire Spurs for their spirited defence against a quality Gunners, it was a well earned point for them. 😉

• I dont care how well they played the 3 points is the most important thing. They played badly and we played well. I recall you lost at the Hawthorns Bennytoon so i dont think you can give us stick about us taking the 3 points 😉

• ObaFan2

Feb 9, 2009 at 2:52 PM

Funny how no other team’s fans come on here with any regularity (ok some mackems b4 and after the game as expected) but why should a small club in London’s supporters feel it neccesary to plague our blog so much…

Sad if you ask me.

• JonnyNufc

Feb 9, 2009 at 2:53 PM

Shola looked decent first half…he got himself about a bit. But his end product is still pretty woeful generally…..

Then 2nd half he pulled a Butt, nowhere to be found. They scored from shola passing the ball to them thinking theyd kick it out for a throw lol

• TOON LAD

Feb 9, 2009 at 2:55 PM

rite lads calm down here who are we supporting nufc or spurs. wen we have a good performance they didn’t give us credit.

• Troy Stavers

Feb 9, 2009 at 2:55 PM

@Bill F

reference Shola having a decent game on Saturday. woo hoooooo hooo hooooo hooooo!!
    He was terrible!!

I’m not gonna digest any of your posts again!!

Unbelievable

• He roughed up their centre halfs a bit but did nothing of note except the pass for Duffs goal.

• Kevin Nichol

Feb 9, 2009 at 2:59 PM

I’m certain that this is how we will line up against everton unless we pick up any knocks;

Harper

S. Taylor -Bassong- Collocinni- R.Taylor

Duff – Butt – Nolan – Guttierrez

Ameobi – Martins

I’m not saying i agree with this. I have been a harsh critic of enrique; but i thought he did well against the mackems and was steady against west brom. JK had stated his place was under threat when r. taylor arrived and i think jk will find it easier to drop jose over s. taylor or duff (i thought duff was our mom v west brom).

It will be nice for JK to have difficult decisions on who plays as we have been down to the bare bones to often this season.

• Bill F

Feb 9, 2009 at 3:07 PM

Blimey Troy, bit strong mate, I’m not saying he was a world beater and I would certainly play Carroll before him but he did have a decent game. I would certainly play him before Viduka or Smith.

• bobby_ollox

Feb 9, 2009 at 3:11 PM

bill F – I was there on saturday – I agree Shola did have a good game- dont think it came across on TV – but he was holding the ball up well, twisting and turning against an admittedly poor defence but causing some trouble- he could have scored and/or broken his leg in that incident you mentioned – and he was the only one who had the balls to take an (excellent) penalty against Sunderland.
    Like you – I have not been a fan of his – I hate the fact he cant understand the offside or the handball rule with any consistency – but he played well on saturday.

Troy – where were you sitting to form this opinion – on your arse on a sofa ?

• stu

Feb 9, 2009 at 3:14 PM

Pretty sure Nolan is out for the next two games after picking up 10 bookings!!

Think a few of you will have to change your teams around.

—————–Viduka————-
    Loven———————–Martins
    ——–Jonas–Butt–Smith——–
    Enrique–Bass—Colo–R.Taylor
    —————-Harper————–

• Bosck

Feb 9, 2009 at 3:16 PM

Bennytoon – well if you’re dominating the games then you just enjoy doing that then, and enjoy your point. personally i’ll stick to us not playing that well overall, and getting 3 points.

i guess when you go down to the championship at least you may be able to dominate and win!!

1 2 3 5