Top Young Guns In Action Tonight For Newcastle Reserves

Newcastle United Reserves will be in action tonight at St. James’ Park against Wigan Athletic.

niles-ranger1

Nile Ranger – likely starter tonight against Wigan

The Newcastle Reserves side in the last 18 months has been made up of some of our most promising youngsters, and the average age of the side is often around just 19.

With the Youth Policy now being a vital cog in the Newcastle wheel, the fans will have a good chance to see some of  our top youngsters in action tonight.

Promising players such as Ryan Donaldson, Nile Ranger. Kazenga LuaLua and Brad Inman, and our two top young goalkeepers Krul and Forster, have all been given senior call-ups this season.

Richard Money’s second eleven are returning to action after a layoff of almost two weeks following their 3-0 defeat against a strong Man City side.

And of course our Under-18 side was eliminated by holders Man City at Eastlands last week, in the FA Youth Cup, by a 4-2 scoreline.

But we hope the lads can get back to their winning ways tonight against Wigan, and we’ll have a report of the game.

The KO time tonight is 7:00 pm.

• Bill F

Feb 9, 2009 at 10:51 AM

There has been a lot of mention about Godsmark in the young players but he hasn’t even had a sniff of first team action. Surely he is one to at least get onto the bench. From what I’ve had about him he is what the first team is crying out for.

• WesToon

Feb 9, 2009 at 10:51 AM

Come on you Bairnes

GET IN NUFC!!!!
    HOWAY THE LADS!!!

• Guinea Mag

Feb 9, 2009 at 10:55 AM

Hopefully the likes of Smith, Viduka, etc will be given a run out also as they need games to get match fit…..

• Bill F

Feb 9, 2009 at 10:57 AM

Had should read as heard. 🙂

• Whumpie

Feb 9, 2009 at 11:01 AM

PLEASE go see the match if you can make it! These younguns need some support, and they’re an amazing lot to watch.

I think Kaz is the pick of the bunch – everything Zog had plus a better shot on him and none of the cruddy attitude. Going to be huge for us.

• Bill F

Feb 9, 2009 at 11:17 AM

Wish I could Whumpie but it’s a bit of a trek from Essex. I always used to go and watch them when I lived up there, it was usually me and another dozen diehards in those days. It was a little weird sometimes as I am sure the players but have a good look at us in case we were scouts watching the game and they would often put a little bit more effort in when they came to the side of the pitch we were on. Doubt if the standard was as good as it is now though. There were times when there were decent crowds of a few thousand and we used to joke about how the reserves were getting more support than the lower league teams, like Hull!!

• Whumpie

Feb 9, 2009 at 11:59 AM

Yep – same here. I’m now in Devon (forced southwards by work) but I saw Lua Lua doing his bit against Workington a couple of seasons back.

Funny you should mention the thing about scouts; I noticed that a bit, especially if you left the stand and went pitch-side. I’ll take a conspicuous notebook and a camera if I go to another match – see if I can get a bit of extra performance going!

• Bill F

Feb 9, 2009 at 12:25 PM

LOL, get a headset and speak into every time something happens on pitch.