Kinnear Said To Need Heart Bypass Surgery

The Sun is reporting today that Joe Kinnear has been told by doctors that he needs an emergency heart bypass operation.

joe-kinnear-4321

Joe Kinnear – The Sun is reporting he needs heart bypass surgery.

The 62-year-old had a heart attack ten years ago while managing Wimbledon, and there are reports this morning he needs major heart surgery.

It would appear that assistant boss Chris Hughton and Colin Calderwood are set to take temporary control of the side, but Newcastle lost 5 games on the trot earlier this season, when Chris Hughton was in charge.

This comes at a bad time for the Newcastle team – if indeed this news is true – as the club are in the middle of a huge relegation battle.

Joe is still in the hospital in Sutton Coldfield, and has not been discharged, and if the operation is necessary, it is likely to take place this week, and it will take some time for him to recuperate from it.

At 62 years old Joe is not particularly young to have this type of operation.

Kinnear joined Newcastle in late September, after Kevin Keegan left the club in circumstances which have still not been fully revealed. Keegan says he was sacked and the Newcastle Board says he walked out, but was is clear is that Kevin is suing the club for £8M, and that case is still pending.

Neither side is allowed to talk about the case until it is settled in court.

Newcastle had a great win last Saturday when they beat bottom side WBA 3-2 at The Hawthorns, to gain 3 valuable points, but are still just 4 points above the drop zone and relegation to the Championship would certainly be a disaster for the club.

We should know later today if Joe will indeed have his heart bypass operation this week.

• tripp

Feb 11, 2009 at 2:54 AM

Gads. Hope it’s not true both for JFK’s and NUFC’s sakes. If Joe needs heart surgery, he really should step down and look after himself. His health is far more important than the remains of a football season. I wonder if somebody saw this coming and grabbed calderwood in an attempt to keep the ship steady.

• Tom_Toon

Feb 11, 2009 at 2:58 AM

Calderwood is a really poor manager but Hughton is 100% worse, I am no fan of Kinnear, but hope his op goes well, I dont want to see him back though, we must get a manager in ASAP, even if its Very Terribles, he looks like God compared to Hughton and Calderwood, if those too are in charge for any length of time we are well and a truely f*****.

Ketsbaia answer the call!

• Tom_Toon

Feb 11, 2009 at 2:59 AM

100x*

• Toon_Sydney

Feb 11, 2009 at 3:02 AM

tom toon – aguirre a good coach the atletico madrid one?

get well kinnear

• Tom_Toon

Feb 11, 2009 at 3:07 AM

Dont really know much about him but I’m willing to accept pretty much anyone just as long as Hughton isn’t in charge!

• Toon_Sydney

Feb 11, 2009 at 3:10 AM

tom toon – off topic what do u thnk of shikabala, abo trika , mohammed zidan, abd rabou(linked with toon in past), im half egyptian lol

• ginkoh

Feb 11, 2009 at 3:23 AM

Hope he’ll be fine. It always sad to see someone around us had the bad disease like cancer or heart disease. –“-

• 51times

Feb 11, 2009 at 3:24 AM

If this is true, where would we go from there? Joe obviously would need to rest and look after himself, but would we be stuck with Hughton for the rest of the season? What a disaster.

• mikep

Feb 11, 2009 at 3:45 AM

If Wise is so central to everything he must know the players abilities let him manage. We could then play against his old team Leeds. Take care Joe

• Partizan

Feb 11, 2009 at 5:04 AM

This is soooo NOT GOOD!!!

• Alex

Feb 11, 2009 at 5:24 AM

Lets hope its not true for Joes sake , if it is true then he needs to step down as manager . His health is more important than his job . We need to move for a new manager very quickly if he needs the operation .

• obamagic

Feb 11, 2009 at 5:28 AM

If this is true, i think its time for a new manager.

• Partizan

Feb 11, 2009 at 5:33 AM

New manager is needed for sure…JK should not play games with his health,it could cost him dearly.
    Something’s telling me that Sven is on his way to SJP cos Hiddink is almost certain to join Chelsea.

Peter Kenyon anyone?? 🙂

• Wiser_than_wise

Feb 11, 2009 at 5:52 AM

@partizan kenyon is a money grabing C8NT he doesnt give two sh*tes about a club he is involved in,

I hope joe kinnear just quits football all together i do wish him well but if he doesn’t get the surgery and the tough matches come up i don’t think his heart will take the pressure, So joe just throw in the towel please b4 it’s too late, we can bring in scolari to take over even avram grant

• Partizan

Feb 11, 2009 at 5:55 AM

Wise…I know mate,i was being sarcastic there

• Dan_008

Feb 11, 2009 at 6:05 AM

Please no Sven! that would be to much for me to take, I cant stand him and his football is boring!..

Hiddink is my choice.. anyone who can turn an average australian team into a kick butt, almost beat italy if they didnt cheat, is pretty good in my book..

• neeraj

Feb 11, 2009 at 6:18 AM

wishing joe all the good luck, in the world…..

• Danish_Magpie

Feb 11, 2009 at 6:22 AM

Wise as temporary manager?

….

• Danish_Magpie

Feb 11, 2009 at 6:23 AM

Oh, and best of luck Joe. Football stuff doesn’t matter much when we are talking life and death. I don’t think Kinnear is the long-term answer for us, but I want him well and healthy. Get well soon, Joe.

• WesToon

Feb 11, 2009 at 6:32 AM

AAARRRGGGHHHH FFS MAN!!

When does this Sh!te ever end at Newcastle?
    If this is true,get well soon JFK & thank you for everything you have done to steady the ship BUT its time you rested Joe!

Now who the F@ck comes in???

I agree with tom toon, ANYBODY BUT HUGHTON FFS PLSSSSSSS

• WesToon

Feb 11, 2009 at 6:33 AM

@ Danish_Magpie // Feb 11, 2009 at 6:22 AM

Mate,it very well might be the case 🙁

• Marty-Toon

Feb 11, 2009 at 6:39 AM

Get well soon JK……our thoughts are with you man.
    Tom_toon…….Veneballer??????????????
    He is a disaster of a coach…..please no,stay away TV
    Bryan Robson would do a better job but these guys don`t know how to buy players-we would end up with a team that plays rugby stlye football

• Toon_Ksk (Huh? u mean David Craig is real?)

Feb 11, 2009 at 6:39 AM

How about bringing back Glenn Roeder as temp manager until the summer?

I want Otto Rehhagel as manager!! Get him now or in the summer!!

• neeraj

Feb 11, 2009 at 6:45 AM

any body remember
    ZICO

said he would be ready to manage us with wise…..
    has done pretty well with teams like japan and fanerbache….

• roscoe

Feb 11, 2009 at 6:48 AM

Aguirre!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Marty-Toon

Feb 11, 2009 at 6:48 AM

Zico sounds like a good plan n can get us some more S.americans easily

• Partizan

Feb 11, 2009 at 6:50 AM

You want the best manager of his generation….then we should go for the Turkish Mourinho………Bulent Uygun from Sivaspor.

This man will turn Newcastle into something else with only a small amount of money spent.
    He was chosen the best manager in Turkey for 2007/2008 only at the age of 36.Many of them believe that even now he could be compared to Fatih Terim.

I personally would want a younger manager and Uygun perfectly suits that bill.

• Dragonera

Feb 11, 2009 at 6:52 AM

If this turns out to be false nonsense from the papers i will no longer by another for as long as i live,m and that is a promise.

If true then i wish JK all the luck in the world. It took a brave man to take the reins when no one else would and he has done nothing but try his best since his return. Get well soon Joe.

• Aussie Magpie Fan

Feb 11, 2009 at 7:03 AM

I haven’t logged on for a while but I thought this topic is a really important one.. I haven’t been bothered with all the regurgitated transfer BS and the other large amounts of speculation that get’s flung around on this blog site.. But to be honest I really hope this is not true and JK can get back to the helm and manage this club to at least the end of the season.. He cops a lot of bad press from the media and fans alike but I think the effort he has put in this year has been outstanding. He came into a club that was low on morale and even lower on points (yeah yeah – still are) and* he has taken this job when no one else would*. He has a injury ravaged team playing with more gut’s and determination than I have seen in many years. He has stood up to the media and to the refs on Newcastles behalf and all he gets from it is more grief. Please get well soon JK.. I think that you have done more for this club than you will ever be given credit for..
    To all that are writing him off already and speculating about new managers.. you should have a good hard look at yourselves.

*please don’t respond to this comment with the usual- well he was out of a job any way, that’s why he took the position.

• toonarmyuk

Feb 11, 2009 at 7:06 AM

Just read the NUSC response on nufc.com and I wish they would shut their mouths! They sound like a bunch of jumped-up teenagers who are throwing their toys out because the club wont accept their piss-pot group!

They have picked select quotes from Llambias and responded in a select manner to the ones they think they can twist! It’s really horrific to think that they think they represent the fans, because they sure as hell don’t represent me!

Don’t get me wrong, I think Llambias is an @rse, but NUSC just don’t get it one bit either! At least the club are attempting (however good/bad we think) to move forward – NUSC just want to get everyone angry and depressed, and they never see any light at the end of the tunnel!

• Partizan

Feb 11, 2009 at 7:11 AM

Aussie magpie toon….I think its YOU who should face the reality…JK is ill and whether we like it or not,he has to be replaced by someone sooner or later.

I for one, dont want him to be replaced but i also dont want my team to be without a manager while we’re facing relegation battle.

• magforlife

Feb 11, 2009 at 7:14 AM

Aussie Magpie Fan / toonarmyuk – whats this, an outbreak of common sense! Good posts and im with you both all the way, whats the point of undermining the club and its staff during the season, the severe bitching of some fans drives me bonkers.

• toonarmyuk

Feb 11, 2009 at 7:15 AM

Tom_Toon – Ketsbaia has been having real dramas with his club at the minute as well (he was threatening to walk out only a few weeks ago!).
    He’s a revelation at Anothorsis Famagusta (the first Cypriot club to reach the group stages, and they were within a whisker of making it though that as well (beat Panathinaikos, 2 draws against Werder Bremen, and got a draw at home against Inter Milan, after losing only 1-0 at the San Siro).
    I think if it’s true about Kinnear needing surgery, I think it’s the end of his reign, and while I think the club will probably turn to Venebles (again!) until the end of the season, I reckon Sven will be on the wings as well. Also, genuinelly, dont count out a return of Glenn Roeder on a short-termer (but def not permanent).

• Aussie Magpie Fan

Feb 11, 2009 at 7:16 AM

@Partizan,
    Totally agree mate.. I wasn’t saying that he shouldn’t be replaced if it comes to that.. I’m saying I hope it’s not true… I though that it was pretty clear from my comments

• Partizan

Feb 11, 2009 at 7:21 AM

Aussie Magpie Fan….I hope so too mate…but you gotta admit that this is a very serious situation JK is dealing with.

• Aussie Magpie Fan

Feb 11, 2009 at 7:27 AM

@Partizan,
    Too true mate… I feel for him and his family if this is true. It is seriously hard work being a Newcastle supporter.. The clubs sems to go from one crisis to another.. Although I rate this one as the most important to get past. Both for Joe to get well asap (if it is true) and for the club to replce him with a manager who can steer us away from religation.

• WesToon

Feb 11, 2009 at 7:37 AM

Ketsbaia allllll the way for me Lads,although getting him at the end of the season might be a better idea,dont want to throw him into the relegation battle

As for the short term?? Your guess is as good as mine!

PLS Dear God,stop this nightmare,why dont you punish a club that deserves it like scumberland or spuds even Man shitty or chelski,WHY US FFS?????

• spiderpig

Feb 11, 2009 at 8:01 AM

ketsbaia .dont be daft.the blokes a head case.we need a proven manager.steve bruce for me all the way.

• Partizan

Feb 11, 2009 at 8:06 AM

Steve Bruce will bring Zoggy along with him at SJP 😉

• Born Again Geordie

Feb 11, 2009 at 8:06 AM

I wish Joe well and I think if he does need surgery then that will be the end of the managerial road for him.

We need to make contingency plans and look at a replacement and do it soon.

Houghton – no no no !

Sven is the man – he has distanced himself from any links with the Portsmouth job this morning, leaving the door open for the Toon job ?

We could do a hell of a lot worse !!!