Malcolm MacDonald Wants Terry Venables At Newcastle

Malcolm MacDonald has come out today in The Guardian and said he thinks Terry Venables is the best man to take the reins at Newcastle until Joe Kinnear is fit again.

terry-venables-quo300

Terry Venables – best man for the job?

Malcolm talked today about Venables:

“If they could get Terry Venables in, that would be brilliant,” “I like Venners a lot. I like what he does. I like how he does it. Players always react brilliantly to his methods. Always.

“Plus he did an excellent job at Middlesbrough a few years ago in similar circumstances.”

“What he did at the River­side might not have been pretty but it was absolutely necessary. And that’s the beauty of him as a manager.”

“He can size up a situation very quickly and come up with an answer to their problems as soon as possible and put a solution in place.”

“He could certainly do the job at Newcastle – although don’t know whether he would take to the way everything is structured out.”

Venables of course turned the job down in September before Kinnear’s installation as Kevin Keegan’s successor.  Terry turned it down because at that time Mike Ashley couldn’t guarantee him the job long term, since he was selling the club.

Of course in retrospect if Terry had accepted the job at that time, he would probabaly be the long-term manager at the club by now, just as Joe Kinnear is, after he bravely took the job on.

It would not be surprising if the London coach now regrets that decision.

Malcolm continued:

“But in the current circumstances they need somebody with a proven track record. First and foremost Mike Ashley needs someone that can guarantee safety.”

“You cannot take any risks,” “You need someone that will definitely safeguard the club’s Premier League status and Terry Venables would do that without any shadow of a doubt.”

From the comments we’ve had on this, there seem to be quite a few readers opposed to bringing Venables into the club.

We’d like to see Hughton and Calderwood given the chance to save us, and see how that goes before we bring in somebody new.

• Starke

Feb 13, 2009 at 9:39 AM

Next season appoint Tassotti as manager I know someone else has said this, but he would be a good appointment.

Tassotti for manager

• Nick D

Feb 13, 2009 at 9:48 AM

MacDonald is hardly credible. he lost the plot a long time ago.

• sweendog

Feb 13, 2009 at 9:54 AM

I agree totally .. Venables is 100% better than what we’ve got .. he can also get the team playing good attacking football if necessary .. going forward I think Venables with Shearer as assistant would be a good 5 year plan.

• Mighty Swedish Magpie

Feb 13, 2009 at 9:55 AM

What about Svennis becoming the next manager? He surely has the ability to make us a force. And it´s so important to have a well known manager hunting down transfertargets.

He didn´t fail att Man shitty did he? And luring Elano in to the nest would be like stealing candy from a child…..

• sweendog

Feb 13, 2009 at 9:57 AM

or shearer as manager and venables as assistant .. whatever it would be a good move ..
    If Ashley had any idea about running a club he would know first a foremost pay over the odds or whatever it takes to get a good manager in and he can continue his miserly ways in the transfer market as long as he listens to manager and buys players for the required positions .. its not rocket science .. I can’t understand hope somebody with supposed business knowledge can’t see this

• DanToon

Feb 13, 2009 at 9:57 AM

I’d take Sven over el Tel. Would cost a lot more tho!

• sweendog

Feb 13, 2009 at 10:01 AM

Mighty Swedish Magpie .. sven would be excellent .. but a relegation battle I would rather stick to an english manager for now .. but next season in the prem Sven would be one of the top of the list..

• Mighty Swedish Magpie

Feb 13, 2009 at 10:02 AM

Interesting with this swedish youngster Samuel Adjei. J-Södra may not be a force in the swedish second division but the kid seems to have a good reputation.

• sweendog

Feb 13, 2009 at 10:05 AM

*hope somebody
    how somebody

• Micky Toon

Feb 13, 2009 at 10:06 AM

Was Supermac drunk again? If it wasn’t for his status as a NUFC player he wouldn’t get much time from anyone. He hasn’t a clue.

• Mighty Swedish Magpie

Feb 13, 2009 at 10:06 AM

sweendog – I still think he would have the impact to lift us up but I don´t think he´s an option at this moment…. Next season would be top notch 🙂

• valle

Feb 13, 2009 at 10:09 AM

I agree… Old man Mac has lost the plot

• Mighty Swedish Magpie

Feb 13, 2009 at 10:11 AM

I think we should go 4 Rasmus Elm of Kalmar FF. He´s a hard working player with lot´s of talent. He´s a calm nice fellow in the Brolin and Ljungberg style of play.

• ginkoh

Feb 13, 2009 at 10:11 AM

We need someone who have the plan for long term period with team not someone who come and sack him after 6-7 months again.

Why not try Martinez, Jol or even Bruce.

• sweendog

Feb 13, 2009 at 10:11 AM

Mighty Swedish Magpie .. agreed .. a win at home to everton then I think we would have room to get Sven in .. even though he knows his tactics.. right now I think its more about motivating the players to fight more than play good attacking tactical football ..

• Mighty Swedish Magpie

Feb 13, 2009 at 10:13 AM

And he scored a screamer against Austria.

• sweendog

Feb 13, 2009 at 10:13 AM

ginkoh .. bruce is an absolute no go .. don’t have and never will rate him .. this is the best season he’s ever had .. but with us, Spurs, boro etc doing bad he’s doing well but he isn’t good enough and he bleeds Man U..
    now Martinez or Jol I like ..Jol probably the less riskier of the 2.

• DanToon

Feb 13, 2009 at 10:14 AM

ginkoh – I agree.

• DanToon

Feb 13, 2009 at 10:17 AM

sweendog – I personally would go in this order on them 3…

1st. Martinez
    2nd. Bruce
    3rd. Jol

Just my opinion!

• Mighty Swedish Magpie

Feb 13, 2009 at 10:20 AM

It´s pretty absurd really. The players need a motivator doin their well paid work on the pitch.
    The motivation should come from the heart of playing football and winning games. U must dare to win. Every game starts at 0-0.

Please excuse my poor english writing…….

• toonarmyuk

Feb 13, 2009 at 10:21 AM

Why on earth would you want an interim manager to cover an interim manager!? Surely its time for the club to come up trumps and get a solid, respected, long term manager in?

Sven, Jol, Ketsbaia (my heart speaking, rather than my head), Martinez spring to mind. But there are a whole load of other who would do. Bruce might I add, is NOT one of them!

• toonarmyuk

Feb 13, 2009 at 10:23 AM

Sweendog (Post 5) – surely a better option might be Venebles as manager, with Shearer as assistant until the end of the season, and then perhaps Shearer to take over the manager position for 09/10.
    Not that it will ever happen though, as I do believe that Shearer has said that he would never work for Mike Ashley with the club run as it is (i.e. Director of Football position in place).

• Ericles

Feb 13, 2009 at 10:27 AM

I might respect what Malcolm MacDonald says on many occasions but not on this one. Ed you called Calderwood by another name – Collingwood. Our Collingwood was the Geordie admiral who really won the Battle of Trafalgar (started it too from what I can remember hearing). Anyway it looks like we are back in the whirlpool again. Answer? Keep solid with the lads on the pitch. No points for you Everton!!!

• bowburnmag

Feb 13, 2009 at 10:29 AM

• MickMack

Feb 13, 2009 at 10:35 AM

Why are we always being linked with mercenaries that wouldnt give a toss about Newcastle. Out of all them names – Venables, Poyet, ROBSON??, Sven, all are only interested in money. They cant be the calibre of manager Newcastle needs. Can they??
    Why – with this board, does everything have to be stop gap.? Why cant the board give someone a chance – even Martinez is a better shout than Venables and co. At least he would probably set about building something, and taking us forward.
    Im not saying he’s the answer, just he’s better than the names being circulated at the moment.

Apologies – just thought id get that off my chest.

• bowburnmag

Feb 13, 2009 at 10:36 AM

I can see why people are screaming out for this to be an opportunity to look long-term but haven’t they already done that? I suppose it depends how much you believe Joe’s ‘contract’ claims? Not much else he’s said has come to fruition but it would seem he’s seen as at least medium term. I don’t think it would be decent to make any decision until we know the bloke is in the clear after his op and the experts give their recommendations. We can perhaps talk about replacements then if it’s even necessary. If we’re talking about ‘interim’ managers’ to see us through to our current ‘interim’ manager is fit and well, didn’t the last hunt prove there weren’t many takers? I wouldn’t want to give El Tel a heart problem too. At least Hughton and Calderwood are young and fit still though I’m sure we can get their blood pressure up. I have every faith they’ll do their utmost to keep us in the Premier and every expectation we’ll scrape pretty close to the edge either way.

• MickMack

Feb 13, 2009 at 10:38 AM

Tell you what- they will hire who they want, probably Bassett or Howard Kendal or Howard Wilkinson or someone else past it.
    Newcastle fans would vent there anger for one game, then all agree to back the team (as its not there fault) and we’d be back to square one – heading nowhere.
    But Get well Soon Joe.

• DanToon

Feb 13, 2009 at 10:41 AM

MickMack – Hahaha Howard Kendal, that’s a blast from the past mate!

• Davies

Feb 13, 2009 at 10:44 AM

Not Venables for me. Having thought about it, I’m not fussed about Bruce either. I’d like to see Martinez bring a club into the premier league before he takes a task the size of this one, so not him just yet.

I wouldn’t mind seeing Phil Brown have a crack at it.

By the way, MickMack, was that you I saw giving the dog a bone with Paddywack the other day?

• workyticket

Feb 13, 2009 at 10:51 AM

bowburnmag // Feb 13, 2009 at 10:29 AM

“Super Mac is a moron as a pundit. He’s my dad’s hero but I can’t abide listening to the bloke on the radio.”

He’s one of my heros too Bowburn, but you’re right, he does talk some right old guff nowadays!

• Guinea Mag

Feb 13, 2009 at 10:52 AM

Hmmmm; Phil Brown???

He is doing well at Hull City and from the area; albeit a Sand Dancer…..

• MickMack

Feb 13, 2009 at 10:53 AM

Yes it probably was Davies!
    It seems theres alot of sh*t being spouted today from press etc for some reason.
    Who’s next to be lined up to “help out”?
    George Graham?
    David O’Leary?
    John Gregory?
    Brian Little?
    Trevor Francis??
    All great men with great love for NUFC.

• bennytoon

Feb 13, 2009 at 10:56 AM

Howard Wilkinson please Mad Mike.

• toonarmyuk

Feb 13, 2009 at 10:59 AM

bowburnmag – I think Llambias confirmed the contract offer to Kinnear in his tell-all this week in the Chronicle/Journal. Still, they surely cant think he has done well enough to warrant a long-term deal!? Especially with his ticker gone!

• boater

Feb 13, 2009 at 11:01 AM

Is that what he did at Leeds SMac yee old batty cumudgen? Someone with a recent 50/50 ratio on keeping teams in the premier league is hardly a sure bet for me.

• xfer

Feb 13, 2009 at 11:15 AM

We know all about Christ already, dont need more time for him. Bring in Venables!

• bennytoon

Feb 13, 2009 at 11:20 AM

Ashley couldnt afford to buy spurs so he is turning newcastle into a poor mans version. Mad Mike plans to get rid of the black stripes on the shirt and he has already offered Chirpy (the club mascot at white hart lane,) better terms.

Mad Mike has asked Levy if he can rent some of the Trophies to pad out the newcastle trophy cabinet. The ones last won by newcastle are starting to turn green.

• Stardust

Feb 13, 2009 at 11:22 AM

toonarmyuk – dont underestimate the loyalty Ashley will have towards Joe. Joe single handedly walked through a barrage of hatred, stood alongside him, picked his club up and carried them all through the most volatile period in our history. I simply cant see them abandoning Joe quickly, they will do the right things the right way with Joe on board in one way or another.

• LoonyToon @ graft

Feb 13, 2009 at 11:25 AM

Venables wouldnt be the worst choice in the world….bloke has a bag full of experience and has coached at the very highest level both with Barca and England….

Very well prespected by players in the game…..

I honestly cannot see Kinnear returning…..hope he gets well asap but the pressure of managing a Premiership Club (we will be a Premiership club next season) could be too much for the fella….

anyone for Loius Van Gaal? would imagine the bloke would fancy a challenge….works on a limited budget in Holland at AZ (granted it aint the best league in the world) but he is doing a top job…….

Loves himself big time so would handle the pressure like water off a ducks back while also being able to attract the “right” players to improve our squad/team….

• Martin

Feb 13, 2009 at 11:27 AM

Like a number of people on here, I agree that MacDonald talks utter rubbish, but then he’s never been able to control his mouth. I remember in1974, before the FA cup final with Liverpool he spouted off in the newspapers about what he was going to do to Liverpool.
    Bill Shankley loved it. Absolutely loved it and stuck supergobs words on the dressing room wall before the game commenting that it saved him having to motivate his team. the rest as they say is history. Having said that I wish we had a centre forward like him now.