Shearer – Newcastle Need Another 12 Points To Survive

Alan Shearer has come out today and said he thinks his home town club will survive in the Premier league for this season.

alan-shearer-12345.jpg

Alan Shearer – sees goals in current Newcastle side

It’s really sobering when the good news may be that the club avoids relegation for the season, and it’s high time we started to build the club up again so we can have a good shot at securing a European place again.

Shearer was speaking today to The Sun, and he said:

“I look at those clubs staring at the drop and I can’t see goals in a lot of them.”

“But I can see goals in this Newcastle team and that’s why I believe it is too good to go down – and won’t.”

Shearer says lessons must be learned from this season, which is one of the worst ever for the club, and it’s clear that our image had taken a complete hammering this season, with all the bad things that have happened, since last September.

Shearer added:

“Then we will need to really start again because, to be quite frank, people have been laughing at this club this season.”

“There have been a load of mistakes both on and off the pitch and everyone has to learn from them.”

We’d love to see Shearer try to help out at the club by maybe doin g  acouple of days a week coaching at the club, but Alan may have been completely turned off by the antics of Mike Ashley, who has hardly covered himself in glory these last 5 months, and has taken the club to it’s lowest ebb for many a year.

Alan seems confident that Newcastle can get another 12 points which he thinks will be good enough to ensure their Premier League survival for this season.

Shearer continued:

“The pressure will be on Newcastle more than any of the others because of big club syndrome.”

“The club are going to need at least three wins and three draws.”

Newcastle are currently 13th in the league on 27 points, four points ahead of Blackburn Rovers, who are 3rd bottom.

And with injured players on the way back we should be able to do a lot better than of late.

But to stay up, we will need to do a lot better than of late.

Howay The Lads!!

• workyticket

Feb 14, 2009 at 3:41 PM

Ed with all due respect, your pathetic attempts at insinuation are becoming rather repetitive and boring now.

• sirjasontoon

Feb 14, 2009 at 3:48 PM

Easy Workyticket…Give Ed a break,if you don’t like it don’t log on…pretty simple really.

• Toon_Ksk (Huh? u mean David Craig is real?)

Feb 14, 2009 at 3:50 PM

worthyticket, you have the choice of not coming to this blog. If you are good enough, set up your own blog and write your own stories.

• sirjasontoon

Feb 14, 2009 at 3:54 PM

Well said Toon Ksk…If ya don’t like it…Lump it : )

• Troubled Toon

Feb 14, 2009 at 3:55 PM

Workyticket- I’d like to see you make such a well-run blog

• adaaaam

Feb 14, 2009 at 4:10 PM

Workyticket with all due respect, your pathetic attwmpts at being a big man are becoming rather pitiful and worthless. Ed’s a legend.
    WHO AAAAARE YA!

• 51times

Feb 14, 2009 at 4:13 PM

workyticket – Do you ever stop whinging?

• Rodzilla

Feb 14, 2009 at 4:20 PM

…picked the wrong comment there worky!

FIGHT!

• Halliday_NUFC

Feb 14, 2009 at 4:23 PM

I like how Shearer still says ‘we’.

• workyticket

Feb 14, 2009 at 4:23 PM

sirjasontoon // Feb 14, 2009 at 3:48 PM

“Easy Workyticket…Give Ed a break,if you don’t like it don’t log on”

I do rather like this ‘blog sirjasontoon, but more for the comments. Some of the commentators are far more astute than Ed.

• ToonAce

Feb 14, 2009 at 4:24 PM

Workyticket – You and N’zogbia (Insomnia), all you do is complain…. take a lesson outta his book maybe, and leave us true Toons alone!
    I hear the Mackems have got a blog!

• ToonAce

Feb 14, 2009 at 4:28 PM

P.S. I’m sure you’re lovin the comments now, aren’t you?!?!

• Rodzilla

Feb 14, 2009 at 4:29 PM

ToonAce

….’mackems’ doesn’t deserve a capital letter ; )

• Guinea Mag

Feb 14, 2009 at 4:31 PM

12 points is a realistic target provided we start picking them up against the likes of Everton, Hull, Bolton, etc and maybe a point from either Arsenal / Chelsea……

No rally or protest please for the game against Everton; i.e. 100% support to Newcastle United!!!!

Worky – sorry buddy but your comments are off the mark. Ed is doing a fantastic job and the blog No.1.

• ToonAce

Feb 14, 2009 at 4:32 PM

Good point Rodzilla… sorry bout that! Next time I’ll just spell it with a capital F!

• workyticket

Feb 14, 2009 at 4:33 PM

ToonAce // Feb 14, 2009 at 4:28 PM

P.S. I’m sure you’re lovin the comments now, aren’t you?!?!

I like to check out the interesting ones ToonAce, I just skip through the Charvas.

• workyticket

Feb 14, 2009 at 4:36 PM

I love Newcastle more than this ‘blog, so I hate it when Ed tries to get people stirred up into trying ruin the club again. That’s all.

• Mags

Feb 14, 2009 at 4:38 PM

Halliday, I was thinking just the same. Well done big Al.

Keep up the good work Ed.

Worky don’t know if you mean to , but you are coming over as very condescending. Please remember we are all toon fans and want the same for our club.

• DJG

Feb 14, 2009 at 4:40 PM

Nxt season, Nolan and Barton/Guthrie engine room. With Riquelme supersub. lol

No Owen/Viduka. Martins, Lovenkrands and the Xisco kid. Trust me he will be bangin them in when fully fit.

• geordie deb

Feb 14, 2009 at 4:41 PM

Any news on Joe and how he got on with his op?

• Rodzilla

Feb 14, 2009 at 4:45 PM

geordie deb

…not heard owt. I’d imagine they’ll probably leave him alone for a few days – respect his privacy. I’d imagine no news is good news though.

I’d expect a press announcement early next week (I might be wrong though)

• Danish_Magpie

Feb 14, 2009 at 4:47 PM

Not the best result for us, with Pompey beating City. Perhaps now Adams is gone they wont be so crap.

Btw. does anyone else enjoy that all the money at City is buying them nothing in terms of results? City and Tottenham have spent an extraordinary amount of money and are no better than they were two years ago. It’s relatively amusing.

• ToonAce

Feb 14, 2009 at 4:47 PM

Ed isn’t stirring people up into trying to ruin the club, we have someone named mike ashley who’s already doing that for us!
    Ed does a fantastic job updating us on news and such, if you don’t like what he has to say then don’t come here, and def don’t leave negative comments about him!
    I would like to believe that we are all gunning for the same goal, and all want what’s best for our club!

• SuperShearer

Feb 14, 2009 at 4:49 PM

People assume that we’re going to get something from the Everton game, I would be happy with a draw. They are a great side with a lot of fight in them. Add to that they have one of the best away records in the league and they will be tough. We have to pick up points from the teams around us. I’m still worried about the relegation fight, mainly because i think there are teams with more fight in them than us. Love that Shearer still refers to NUFC as we shows what the club means to him and that he is a true fan.

• workyticket

Feb 14, 2009 at 4:50 PM

geordie deb // Feb 14, 2009 at 4:41 PM

“Any news on Joe and how he got on with his op?”

I’ve been looking all over Deb. But no news is good news I hope.

• Rodzilla

Feb 14, 2009 at 4:51 PM

Danish_Magpie // Feb 14, 2009 at 4:47 PM

YES MATE! Very much so. It gives me a warm feeling. I still find it funny how Robinho plays for them (his goal against Italy the other night was phenomenal). He must be starting to wish he done a bit more research 😀

• Danish_Magpie

Feb 14, 2009 at 4:52 PM

Would you guys go in the market for a striker in the summer? I hope we can sign up Oba to a new contract and extend Løvenkrands’ stay as well. If we get Carroll signed up, we have 5 strikers in Oba, Carroll, Løvenkrands, Xisco, and of course Shola who just had his contract extended. 5 strikers is enough but I fear we are missing a QUALITY striker to partner Oba in the strongest starting XI. I wold love someone like Bent or Crouch to come in, but that would mean someone leaving and I don’t know that the board will sell Amoebi (who is the only one I would want to leave anyways…).

I suppose the conclusion is that a striker isn’t top priority but if a quality target man becomes available at a good price, we can go for him. I wouldn’t be upset with our current crop of strikers though.

• Rodzilla

Feb 14, 2009 at 4:54 PM

SuperShearer // Feb 14, 2009 at 4:49 PM

We have a good home record against Everton mate:

2007/08 Won 3-2 Butt, Emre, Owen
    2006/07 Drew 1-1 Ameobi
    2005/06 Won 2-0 Solano 2
    2004/05 Drew 1-1 Bellamy
    2003/04 Won 4-2 Bellamy, Dyer, Shearer 2
    2002/03 Drew 3-3 Dyer 2, OG (LC) (lost on penalties)
    2002/03 Won 2-1 Shearer, Bellamy
    2001/02 Won 6-2 Shearer, Cort, O’Brien,
    Solano 2, Bernard
    2000/01 Lost 0-1 No scorer
    1999/00 Drew 1-1 Shearer
    1998/99 Lost 1-3 Shearer
    1998/99 Won 4-1 Ketsbaia 2, Shearer, Georgiadis (FAC)
    1997/98 Won 1-0 Lee
    1996/97 Won 4-1 Ferdinand, Lee, Shearer, Elliott
    1995/96 Won 1-0 Ferdinand
    1994/95 Won 2-0 Fox, Beardsley
    1993/94 Won 1-0 Allen

(I remember watching the 6-2 in a pub with mi Everton fan mate. He got plenty of stick for months!)

• Rodzilla

Feb 14, 2009 at 4:55 PM

sh1t, I’ve just realised ‘D’ followed by a colon leaves a smiley face! COME ARN!
    😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀

• Danish_Magpie

Feb 14, 2009 at 4:56 PM

Another question: What do you guys see as Ryan Taylor’s best position? I prefer him on the right wing and am fine with Ryan Taylor and LuaLua for the right-wing position, with Jonas my first choice on the left and Duff as backup. Those 4 wingers are good quality and give us plenty of options.

In an ideal world I would offer Celtic Duff + 2-3m for McGeady (younger, cheaper wages). Alternatively, we could sell Duff and bring in Joe Ledley or Kieran Richardson. I don’t hate Duff though, and if he stays, so be it. My only concern is his wages…

• Rodzilla

Feb 14, 2009 at 4:58 PM

*…colon follwed by an upper case ‘D’ I meant

• Wigaz

Feb 14, 2009 at 5:01 PM

Hope all has gone well with Joe’s op. I dont ever think JK was going to get the Job full time & this contract talk was all BS so people couldn’t speculate on who was coming in & cause unrest in the squad. I think Bruce was lined up for the summer & what’s happened to Joe has just sped up the process. Look at what’s happening at Wigan, selling Key members of their squad & not replacing them with much quality anyway. Bruce wouldn’t be letting that happen if he was staying there. I really hope he’s given the job & he’s in by everton game. No disrespect to Joe coz he’s done a good job with what he had but health comes first.

• Rodzilla

Feb 14, 2009 at 5:05 PM

Wigaz, I wouldn’t build your hopes up mate. Hughton said this earlier:

“”We all feel for Joe and wish him well. The ideal scenario, and the one that we all want to see, is Joe back amongst things before the end of the season.

“He’s out for a period of at least two months but when he can actually come back, that is a matter for the doctors.

“Until then I’ve been told that nothing will change – I’ll look after the side assisted by Colin Calderwood. I don’t know what has been said elsewhere, but that is something that has been said to me.”

….although I suppose it’s not too unusual for a football club to say one thing then do the other.

• Wigaz

Feb 14, 2009 at 5:08 PM

Exactly Rodzilla. This regime play it very close to their chest. Hughton & Calderwood will have no idea if MA & Co are having meetings with Bruce or whoever. I hope it happens because we need a manager & neither Hughton or Calderwood are one.

• Alex

Feb 14, 2009 at 5:10 PM

What does everyone think the starting 11 will be against Everton . I have a feeling they will go 433 with the pace of Oba & Lovenkrands .
    ———–Harper———-
    R Taylor—Colo–Bassong–Enrique
    —–Jonas—-Nolan—-Duff
    -Oba–Carroll/Viduka–Lovenkrands

I think that line up would do the Business

• DJG

Feb 14, 2009 at 5:15 PM

Michael Owen = >£1m per goal

Peter Lovenkrands = great deal 4 club.

These ‘Sibierski’ signings are waht keep us in this league. Not the ‘billy big times’. When was the last time you saw Owen and Viduka play together?

• DJG

Feb 14, 2009 at 5:19 PM

Alex for some reason Duff plays better on the right and Jonas on the left linking up with Enrique. I would play,

____________Harper
    R.Taylor_Coloccini_Bassong_Enrique
    ____________Butt(c)__________
    Duff________Nolan_______Jonas
    ______Lovenkrands_Martins

Would prefer Guthrie to Butt. Won’t be back in time tho unfortunatly.

• DJG

Feb 14, 2009 at 5:25 PM

I like the idea of three upfront with Carroll playing one half and Viduka the other. I just feel the three in midfield would leave us a little exposed against Everton. Also Viduka isnt really fit enough and I think Lescott and Jakielka could handle Carroll. I dont think they would be able to handle a Lovenkrands/Martins combo with Nolan running on from midfield.

• catchy in norway

Feb 14, 2009 at 5:37 PM

sorry lads but i dont think shearer is helping the situation with his comments,, if he was a true fan he would be there like a shot saying i will look after thing till joe gets back,,, knowing that joe is not comming back,
    i dont care what he thinks about cashly or rat boy wise, the club is bigger than both of them, and like i say , he will have nothing to loose.
    he is the only fan out of all of us that could walk up to them and say ill look after things,, i think he should just keep his mouth shut ,
    he is just feeding the suthern gutter press with stuff that we already know..
    he still a legend , but should just keep shtumm,,,, imo

• Alex

Feb 14, 2009 at 5:43 PM

DJG your right about Duff and Jonas , enrique and Jonas have a good understanding of each others play . i just think with a 3 man midfield with Nolan we would have too much pace for Everton to handle . The fitness worries of Viduka does make his inclusion a bit of a gamble , but on the other hand he holds the ball up so well and makes room for the quick boys to destroy the opposition defence .