Habib Beye Still Two Months Away From Playing Again

Habib Beye, the Senegal player who was Newcastle best player in his first season at the club last year, suffered ankle ligament damage during the 2-1 defeat at Wigan on Boxing Day and has been on the sidelines ever since.

habib-beye-410.gif

Habib Beye – still 8 weeks away from playing

It was another reckless challenge from Wigan midfielder Lee Cattermole, who in the previous game between the two side sides had put Joey Barton in hospital too. We wonder if this lad has any idea of the anguish he causes with his reckless play.

Habib has been on crutches most of the time since the Christmas game, with a protective boot  on, but the good news this morning is that Beye is now stepping up his comeback bid, at the club’s North Tyneside training headquarters.

But we’ll not hold our breath because a first team return is still around two months off, about the same time that Joe Kinnear will be away following his successful heart surgery last Friday.

The former Marseilles captain still hopes to come back and help the side in their final games of the season, which could be crucial to staying up, but we are hoping we’ll be safe from relegation by that time.

Habib told nufcTV in an exclusive interview this morning:

“I’ve now started my recovery and I can do some work with my ankle on the bike and also some boxing,” “I hope to be back training in about five weeks but I don’t want to rush things because it was a bad injury.”

“I want to come back with a solid ankle so if I have to wait a little bit longer then so be it.” “Myself and the Doc decided not to have surgery and he has done a great job with me and my ankle feels good.”

But Beye also admits that it’s a little soul destroying to come to training each day with a protective boot on, and be on crutches, and not be able to help the lads, during a difficult period.

Habib continued:

“When you come into training on your crutches every day and you see your team-mates going out to training it’s hard,” “But now I’m a part of the team because when you have crutches and you do nothing you think you are nothing!”

“It’s good to have my boot off so I can come back into training and sweat a little bit.” “I have to work hard and the hard work is still ahead of me, but I’m very happy to be back working towards playing again.”

“Three months out is a long time and I just can’t wait to be back.”

There’s no doubt that Habib has been a huge miss for the team this season, not only because of his play, but also because of his significant leadership ability on the field.

We look forward to Beye returning to the side, when he will have been out for almost 4 months by the time he does return in April.

• Weezertron

Feb 17, 2009 at 11:25 AM

captain next season

• ELFER

Feb 17, 2009 at 11:29 AM

Nope, Barton should be captain (with Veloso behind him).

• Monster

Feb 17, 2009 at 11:38 AM

Cattermole is a c**t. Barton is defo our future captain.

• Whumpie

Feb 17, 2009 at 11:51 AM

Barton hasn’t got the control to be a Captain. I’ve yet to see him play 90 minutes without some smart-assed bit of behaviour. He has enough trouble just playing without getting in trouble; if you ask him to represent the team to the officials too he’ll have a melt-down.

I don’t care how well he can play on his day – he’s a liability, and the last person we want to put under more pressure.

Beye’s an amazing player, and I think we’ve missed him more than any other – including Owen. But full-backs generally aren’t good skippers; you need someone in the middle of the field. I think Nolan will get the nod, and rightly too from what I’ve seen of him.

• Whumpie

Feb 17, 2009 at 11:52 AM

And Cattermole shows that you can get worse than Barton: at least Barton gets pulled up before a court and does his time when he assaults people.

• AndyNUFC

Feb 17, 2009 at 12:30 PM

I saw Beye walk out of Player’s bar in the gate last night. Wasn’t walking funny haha.

He’s a lot smaller than I imagined.

• stevep

Feb 17, 2009 at 12:45 PM

Beye’s a big miss – Nolan for captain next season for me, he’s a lot like Barton but without the bad bits. Think he’ll end up being a top player for the toon

• TORONTOON

Feb 17, 2009 at 2:21 PM

yes barton needs to grow up a bit…nolan for captain next season. i look forward to seeing gutherie, nolan and barton in midfield in a 433 but i don’t think all three can ever be fit together.

beye is probably one of the most solid RB in the league.

• Brutooon

Feb 18, 2009 at 12:56 AM

Beye is a big miss.

Owen injured is a common thing, even if he is not injured – he is not the player he was 5 years ago

Hope Steven Taylor can learn from Beye – both as a player and as an individual

• Tom_Toon

Feb 18, 2009 at 1:10 AM

Beye for captain, not Nolan as Bolton fans said e was brilliant until he got the armband then turned average-to-poor.

As for Whumpie’s statement on full-backs not being good cpatain, what utter bs, Javier Zanetti, Gary Neville etc…….

• lesh

Feb 18, 2009 at 8:28 AM

Barton for captain…. how can you have a captain that’s unfit or banned so often.

We need a steadying and inspirational influence who commands respect as captain – not a walking red card!