After Newcastle United bid for 22 year-old Rennes midfielder Stephane Mbia in January, most Newcastle fans would have hoped that we had the player almost wrapped up, to take to Tyneside in the summer.
Stephane Mbia – no decision on where he’ll move in the summer
But that would be the sign of a savvy club in the transfer market, and Newcastle certainly cannot be accused of that.
And it doesn’t look to be the case either, after Newcastle supposedly bid £5M for the Cameroon midfielder, but Rennes said they wanted twice that amount.
But surely a bid close to £8M could have got the business done, but maybe it’s just not as simple as that.
However, Newcastle lost a big chance to get the Cameroon International last month, simply because there will be a lot more clubs able to bid for him in the summer, including Everton, who had no money to spend last month.
Stephane Mbia has today denied reports that say he has reached an agreement regarding his future destination.
Stade Rennais have turned down an offer from both Everton and Newcastle recently, and we know the Newcastle offer was around £5M last month.
Stephane has said he has yet to make a decision regarding his future club:
“I have not agreed anything.” “I made myself clear that I wanted to join a club last season but Rennes did not let me so I’m still here.”
“I need to finish the season strongly and we will see in the summer.”
This lad would be a good addition to the squad, but it will probably be a choice between Mbia and Michael Johnson of Manchester City.
Michael turns 21 next Tuesday, and we’d be surprised if we get both youngsters to the club in the summer.