Newcastle And Everton After Stephane Mbia In The Summer

After Newcastle United bid for 22 year-old Rennes midfielder Stephane Mbia in January, most Newcastle fans would have hoped that we had the player almost wrapped up, to take to Tyneside in the summer.

6209231

Stephane Mbia – no decision on where he’ll move in the summer

But that would be the sign of a savvy club in the transfer market, and Newcastle certainly cannot be accused of that.

And it doesn’t look to be the case either, after Newcastle supposedly bid £5M for the Cameroon midfielder, but Rennes said they wanted twice that amount.

But surely a bid close to £8M could have got the business done, but maybe it’s just not as simple as that.

However, Newcastle lost a big chance to get the Cameroon International last month, simply because there will be a lot more clubs able to bid for him in the summer, including Everton, who had no money to spend last month.

Stephane Mbia has today denied reports that say he has reached an agreement regarding his future destination.

Stade Rennais have turned down an offer from both Everton and Newcastle recently, and we know the Newcastle offer was around £5M last month.

Stephane has said he has yet to make a decision regarding his future club:

“I have not agreed anything.” “I made myself clear that I wanted to join a club last season but Rennes did not let me so I’m still here.”

“I need to finish the season strongly and we will see in the summer.”

This lad would be a good addition to the squad, but it will probably be a choice between Mbia and Michael Johnson of Manchester City.

Michael turns 21 next Tuesday, and we’d be surprised if we get both youngsters to the club in the summer.

• Toon Graeme

Feb 17, 2009 at 11:54 AM

Lets get prem survival first eh.

Not defeatest or negative – the facts speak for themselves.

• Waldo P. Barnstormer

Feb 17, 2009 at 12:03 PM

Got to agree there with you G.

But when we survive we wont get him any how.

• Whumpie

Feb 17, 2009 at 12:16 PM

We should have more, better, cheaper options in the summer. Personally, I’d go for the Brit every time – partly because of language, but also because I think Platini will get his ‘home grown quota’ rule in before long, and that will force the value of English players through the roof, forcing clubs who’ve not already stocked up to pay through the nose for the gooduns.

I think the Mbia thing is the clearest example of why you should not expect to do well in the transfer market with a recruitment team of two amateurs learning the ropes plus one infamously aggressive munchkin with the charm of a chlamidia bug. To be honest, it’s amazing we got anyone at all.

• Kash

Feb 17, 2009 at 12:33 PM

What does Setanta say about Collocini? I can’t access Setanta, and if someone can cut and paste the story that would be great!

• Pons Aelius

Feb 17, 2009 at 12:38 PM

Whumpie – agreed. I’d rather we buy Michael Johnson.

• Pons Aelius

Feb 17, 2009 at 12:40 PM

Kash – Newcastle centre back Fabrizio Coloccini has set his sights on moving back to Deportivo La Coruna at some point in the future.

The Argentina international has labelled Newcastle a ‘great club’, and he has declared that playing for them is a positive experience for him.

Even if returning to the Spanish league is part of his aims, Coloccini is happy to have broken into Joe Kinnear’s plans and to play Premier League football on a regular basis.

The 27-year-old is committed to helping The Magpies out of the relegation zone sooner rather than later.

Coloccini told Xornal: “I’d be delighted to return [to Deportivo] one day.

“At the moment I’m experiencing a similar situation as the one that occurred last season with Depor: I’m playing every game, which is important.

“But we have to move outside of the bottom of the table as quickly as possible.

“This is a new experience to me and I’m at a great club. Besides, I’m learning English.

“Obviously this [the changes of coaches] is never a good thing, but we as players have to cope with it.”

For his part, Newcastle striker Xisco, who is frustrated by his lack of Premier League action, has confirmed that he will not be plying his trade for four weeks.

He said: “I have broken my big toe and I’m out for four weeks. My injury is a blow because the manager started to count on me.

“Everybody told me this change [of leagues] would be beneficial to me, but, as I almost never play, I haven’t been able to find out.

“But I have experienced worse situations. No pain, no gain. I believe I will succeed in England. Besides, you learn a lot from such a situation.”

• Little Willie

Feb 17, 2009 at 12:40 PM

Platini has got no chance of getting his 6+5 rule in as it’s against everything the EU stands for.

• sahota

Feb 17, 2009 at 12:46 PM

Fabrizio Coloccini till now has been playing good in some games and very bad in others. If he continues like that then better we move him at right price. Because , before anything what matters is you don’t concede simple goals.

• Toon Graeme

Feb 17, 2009 at 12:50 PM

So reading between the lines, does he want to go?

• waddler

Feb 17, 2009 at 12:59 PM

Whumpie,
    If we only get 2 players a season graduating from the reserves/youth/academy teams we would be in a very strong position within 5 years.
    Youth development must be our long term plan, it will mean if we need a player at some point in the future to turn us from a good team into a great team the funding will be available.
    Next season if we survive we need British players who are young and on the up, not in there 30s.
    Once we have stocked up with the players required for next season we concentrate on the youth set up and accelerate the search for our future stars.
    Won’t it be great to watch kids coming through the ranks who’s heart is in the club and not their deep trouser pockets.

• Ever seen a mackem in Milan?

Feb 17, 2009 at 12:59 PM

He would like to return to Deportivo if we let him i think. Dont think he would request a transfer or anything.

• Toon_Sydney

Feb 17, 2009 at 1:19 PM

he doesnt want to go- he just said he wouldnt mind goin back perhaps after 3-4 years

• lesh

Feb 17, 2009 at 1:24 PM

I’d say Collo’s letting it be known that a move away from life at this’great club’ might prove attractive.

Similarly, he has declared that playing for teh club has been a positive experience for him.

I seem to remember burning myself with hot water when I was a kid. That was a positive [learning] experience for me – it taught me to be careful!!

As far as Mbia’s concerned, if friend Wise’s leading the bid for him (oh, please no), we might as well wish Mbia best of luck in his move to Everton or wherever.

You’re right Ed, why Wise didn’t get the guy signed and sealed in January draws the obvious question. Why is Wise still at the club?

• Turkish Magpie

Feb 17, 2009 at 1:29 PM

much rather Mbia!

• lesh

Feb 17, 2009 at 1:45 PM

Nice one Whumpie // Feb 17, 2009 at 12:16 PM

Totally agree and your reference to a less than charming munchkin left me puzzled over who you could have been referring to.

I’ve just googled the little fella’s name and he seems to have a reputation as a very nasty piece of work.

Oh, just in case there’s any misunderstanding, it was Chlamidia Bug I’d googled!

• Whumpie

Feb 17, 2009 at 2:11 PM

waddler – very well put, mate. I’m actually starting to really look forward to this ‘master plan’ coming together.

I still think those trying to implement it need a dose of reality/humility and some help from some pros, but I think that by the end of the summer we’ll have a reasonable top-half team, a profitable club with realistic outgoings, and a huge selection of talent coming through.

It’s good to be the Toon.

• Whumpie

Feb 17, 2009 at 2:12 PM

Pons Aelius – I take it you’re in (or from) Rome with a name like that?

• Pons Aelius

Feb 17, 2009 at 2:50 PM

Whumpie, no mate I’m a tynesider haha! I was a history graduate in my younger days and just love the romans’ style.

Pons Aelius was the Roman name for the toon

• It Could Be Worse...We Could Be Spurs -DC-

Feb 17, 2009 at 4:26 PM

good little fact that Pons

• murphy

Feb 17, 2009 at 4:26 PM

hmmmm interesting about collocini, don’t say he’s given up on us?! I hope he’s not sick of life in newcastle, it will be another episode we don’t need. As for xisco, that’s a good reaction, he’s determined to make it in English football and not return home with his tail between his legs! good lad xisco, put the effort in and you will be rewarded. besides, did you really think you’d make the first team when Owen and Martins are fit?

• murphy

Feb 17, 2009 at 4:29 PM

anyone else having problems getting to ed’s other blogs? it loads each one then comes up with a blank screen and no writing, hmmm….

• Pons Aelius

Feb 17, 2009 at 4:32 PM

murphy – no mate, I just think he’s talking about when he gets close to retirement. At least that’s what I hope he means!

• Pons Aelius

Feb 17, 2009 at 4:36 PM

DC – The saxon name for Newcastle was Monkchester

Imagine that…

Monkchester United haha!

• Piers

Feb 17, 2009 at 5:12 PM

Rather have Johnson to be honest

• sirjasontoon

Feb 17, 2009 at 5:33 PM

Yawn…I will believe it when I see it.

• Brutooon

Feb 18, 2009 at 12:52 AM

Next season our CM. According to my rankings:

Guthrie
    Nolan
    Barton
    Butt (i wish this season is his last, but yeah another season with him)

Guthrie-Nolan will the the no. 1 choice for next year but i do believe BUTT is an automatic choice. if Mbia join us it might be Butt-Mbia so good players like Nolan,Guthrie and Barton will be on the bench and will move to other clubs..

• Tom_Toon

Feb 18, 2009 at 1:15 AM

Much rather have M’Bia because Johnson is an alcoholic waster, but I wouldn’t want tiehr, Yebda and Topal spring to mind as better, mroe realistic and cheaper DMs than M’Bia and I can think of better players than Johnson in his position (more attacking box-to-box centre mid).

• zoggy

Feb 18, 2009 at 9:23 AM

I look forward to seeing him play in blue then.