Ignacio Gonzales Back in Three Weeks

Newcastle fans can be excused from remembering that we still have Uruguyan International midfielder Ignacio Gonzales at the club, on a season long loan from Valencia, since he only appeared just twice for Newcastle,  before he picked up a long term Achilles injury.

ignacio-gonzalez-34

Ignacio Gonzalez – lost season for the Uruguayan International

In fact we fully expected the Uruguayan to return to Valencia last month, after Joe Kinnear had indicated that would probably happen, but he’s still at the Newcastle club, spending his time in the injury room where apparently he got to know Mark Viduka very well.   😀

The Uruguay international arrived at St James’ Park on the final day of the August transfer window with Xisco, just before the volcano erupted between Kevin and the Newcastle Board.

The midfielder, who we remember is nicknamed Nacho, scored 45 goals in 170 appearances for Danubio in Uruguay, and was very keen to do well in England before getting the dreaded injury, that seems to affect so many of our players.

Chris Hughton told the Chronicle this morning:

“I’m sure we will see Nacho this season.” “I really do feel for him.”

“It’s been incredibly frustrating for him.” “This is a lad who has missed most of the season apart from two appearances against Hull and West Ham.”

“He’s missed almost every game.” “I feel for him because he came here on a year’s loan to show what he can do.”

“He came here to play and that has been the big disappointment for him.”

Gonzalez has been scheduled for a mid-March return fro many months now, and we still don’t know what will happen with him, or whether he will very play again for Newcastle United.

When he did play he looked a decent player, but through no fault of his own his loan spell on Tyneside has been a disaster for all parties involved.

It would be nice if he does come back and helps us win a few games in the latter part of the season, and then at least he will accomplished something for himself and Newcastle, but it’s got to be frustrating for the lad.

After the 3-1 loss at West Ham shortly following Keegan’s departure from Newcastle, for the second time, Ignacio had said:

“I am here for a one-year deal but maybe this could be permanent if it goes well.

“I came to Newcastle to play games and the Premier League is one of the best stages in the world to do that.”

We hope to see Ignacio back in mid-March, which is just over 3 weeks away, and we will still will have 10 league games to play, so he can still do a job for us.

It would be good if he can come in and play really well for Newcastle in the latter part of the season, and help us to safety, but he’ll have a hard job getting in the team with Nolan, Guthrie, Butt and Barton all fit.

• Tom_Toon

Feb 18, 2009 at 12:48 PM

So?

• GEORDIE69

Feb 18, 2009 at 12:53 PM

Who? Seriously though why is he still here?

• Tom_Toon

Feb 18, 2009 at 12:53 PM

Maybe that is a bit harsh, hopefully he gets fit as he is the only AM we have.

Howay Nacho!

• Turkish Magpie

Feb 18, 2009 at 12:55 PM

He’s more than decent on FM09

• sweendog

Feb 18, 2009 at 12:55 PM

Nacho Nacho man ..
    He’s got a good rep. of being a very good player so it’d be good to actually see him get a run out.

• Dan4Toon

Feb 18, 2009 at 12:58 PM

Shame for the lad really, and ya never know, could be the creativity we need, and could turn into a star !! or could be dreaming 😛

• beyethegreat

Feb 18, 2009 at 12:58 PM

i thoought he looked decent the times he played

• LoonyToon @ graft

Feb 18, 2009 at 1:00 PM

Lets just wait to see if the lad gets the chance to prove himself….I am sure all true Newcastle fans would love him to be a success….

Showed some nice touches when he came on against Hull earlier in the season…..

• dougnufc

Feb 18, 2009 at 1:00 PM

If he can keep Butt out of the squad then good.

• beyethegreat

Feb 18, 2009 at 1:01 PM

happy birthday sir bobby

have u seen the way the wigan site has reported this (pricks)

• richyg01

Feb 18, 2009 at 1:02 PM

WHO?

• Doocey

Feb 18, 2009 at 1:04 PM

This lad is nothing short of fantastic on his day, believe me.
    I was very excited the day we signed him but to get injured so quickly was irritating. All I’m saying is he’s a similar player to Jonas and as good as him on a good day.

• Howay50

Feb 18, 2009 at 1:05 PM

Wigan Athletic boss Steve Bruce has come out and quashed any speculation that he is in line for the managers job at Premier League rivals Newcastle United.

`Because I`m a Geordie every time the managerial situation at Newcastle is mentioned I`m always in there`

‘I think it`s a little bit disrespectful when their manager is going through what he is going through right now`

‘I`m very, very happy here at Wigan and I have got a terrific job`

‘Theres nothing in it, I`m very happy here, that`s all I can say`

Blimey, other papers are reporting that Ramos might come to the Toon. Who would be our perfect manager to get this club out of the sh*t.

• batty

Feb 18, 2009 at 1:07 PM

ED thought you would have wished sir bobby a happy birthday. HAPPY BIRTHDAY SIR BOBBY YOU WERE AND STILL ARE THE BEST

• Tom_Toon

Feb 18, 2009 at 1:07 PM

A Uruguayan reader said the player he was most like is Ballack, therfore not like Jonas.

• beyethegreat

Feb 18, 2009 at 1:09 PM

batty how old is sir bobby

• Howay50

Feb 18, 2009 at 1:11 PM

SBR was born in 1933, so that makes him 76 then.

• waddler

Feb 18, 2009 at 1:12 PM

I hope he gets a chance when fit and he proves good enough to merit a permanent deal, anything else would be illogical.

• batty

Feb 18, 2009 at 1:13 PM

76 BEYE HOPE HE REACHES 77 AND OLDER BUT CANT SEE IT M8 BUT WHO KNOWS HE IS A REAL FIGHTER

• beyethegreat

Feb 18, 2009 at 1:16 PM

howay and batty thanks

batty yes i hope he does too though he admittted himself that he is unlikely to live past the season

no 1 makes me more proud to be a toon fan than sir bobby

• Doocey

Feb 18, 2009 at 1:16 PM

Tom_Toon, perhaps but what I’ve saw of him, he runs at player like Jonas but has a finishing product

• LoonyToon @ graft

Feb 18, 2009 at 1:17 PM

He is a fighter Batty But this cancer is terminal unfortunately….

Met him at his book launch in December….the illness looked as though it was taking its toll….Was and always will be a gent and a true footballing legend…..

Wish we had more of the same….

• big boomer

Feb 18, 2009 at 1:17 PM

The first impression the lad gave was that he had an excellent first touch. Other than that we didn’t see enough to make an opinion. Lets het him fit and judge hime then. We have nothing to lose. We are not exactly breaming with central midfielders with vision.

• Tom_Toon

Feb 18, 2009 at 1:17 PM

I just find it hard to believe you have see him much in a match situation if at all since you say you have watched Stadard de Liege reserves.

• Doocey

Feb 18, 2009 at 1:26 PM

I think you have mis read my comments yet again Tom_Toon.
    I never said I watch the consistently , however I have mates over in Belgium that I visit every year and I like to go see them play when I can.

I haven’t saw Ignacio play live in a stadium but watching him for Uruguay he’s a very neat player. Why would I bother lying anyways?

• Tony

Feb 18, 2009 at 1:28 PM

Tom_Toon
    regarding comment 24 .Ive noticed you have mentioned on numerous occasions different players you think the club should buy.Have you seen all of them in match situations if you have you must be very travelled.

• Tom_Toon

Feb 18, 2009 at 1:30 PM

I didn’t say live.

And Tony, yes, I hve watched all of them in matches, not highlights or not at all.

• Tom_Toon

Feb 18, 2009 at 1:31 PM

I mention well know players n their respective coutries but then Doocey come up with a Standard Liege reserves player who is 16 years old and says he watched Standard Liege reserves, I can only be sceptical.

• Doocey

Feb 18, 2009 at 1:34 PM

Fair enough Tom_Toon but seeing is believing I suppose.

In no disrespect Tom, you’ve mentioned various African midfielders (Correct me if I’m wrong) that would do a good job for Newcastle but most haven’t a chance of gaining a work permit nor Dennis Wise buying them.

• Tony

Feb 18, 2009 at 1:34 PM

so you travel the world watching football matches yet the last derby was your first.strange to say the least.

• Tom_Toon

Feb 18, 2009 at 1:35 PM

Its strage, I dont recall Doocey saying anything about Gonzalez when he joined and he hasn’t kick a ball since, so saying it now sounds like bs, I could be wrong though, but I’d trust my memory over most peoples and it is one of my best attributes.

• Tom_Toon

Feb 18, 2009 at 1:36 PM

Tony – Are you retarded?

I didn’t say live, Doocey just assumed thats what I meant.

• Doocey

Feb 18, 2009 at 1:38 PM

Tom_Toon, I wasn’t on these forums when Ignacio joined, nor was I on here when Jonas arrived.

I only recently joined after Keegans departure.

I assume it is Mangala when you mention the 16 year old?

• Tony

Feb 18, 2009 at 1:38 PM

sorry for questioning your football guru status

• Tom_Toon

Feb 18, 2009 at 1:40 PM

Something like Mangala.

Tony – Its got nothing to do with that, you are putting words into my mouth, not once did I talk about watching matches live in relation to myself or Doocey. You and him just assumed so much.

• Tony

Feb 18, 2009 at 1:42 PM

its allright tom ,calm down im only having a bit of fun

• Doocey

Feb 18, 2009 at 1:43 PM

Tom_Toon –
    Mangala has played for Standard seniors.

• Tom_Toon

Feb 18, 2009 at 1:44 PM

Sad, sad little boy.

• Tony

Feb 18, 2009 at 1:45 PM

dare say i went to my first match long before you were born

• workyticket

Feb 18, 2009 at 1:46 PM

big boomer // Feb 18, 2009 at 1:17 PM

“We have nothing to lose. We are not exactly breaming with central midfielders with vision.”

That was where Gonzales was supposed to come in ’til he was crocked, as the creative one with vision and passing like Xabi Alonso or Fabregas.