Coloccini – A New Experience At A Great Club

Fabricio Coloccini played in every game for Deportivo last season.

Fabricio Coloccini – played every game this season for Newcastle

And the Argentine International has been the only player to feature in every game this season, following his protracted £10M move from La Liga during August.

The Argentine international has had to adjust to the pace and physical play of the Premier League, and we’re hoping he will become a better players after getting used to the league this season.

The 27-year-old has shown a great desire to make the most of the experience at St James’ Park, and there was inaccurate reporting of what he said yesterday, when some headlines claimed that he wanted to return to Deportivo, seemingly immediately.

Coloccini has admitted he would be tempted by a return to Spain in the future, but he seems committed to be a success at Newcastle, and help the team pull away from relegation danger.

This is what the lad actually said yesterday:

“I’d be delighted to return [to Deportivo] one day. At the moment I’m experiencing a similar situation as the one that occurred last season with Depor – I’m playing every game, which is important.”

“But we have to move outside of the bottom of the table as quickly as possible. This is a new experience to me and I’m at a great club.”

“Besides, I’m learning English, which I’m enjoying. Obviously this (the changes of coaches) is never a good thing, but we as players have to cope with it.”

Nothing much wrong wrong with that statement, but when you see headlines saying Coloccini wants to return to Deportivo, the reporting is a little suspect, to say the least.

• Will

Feb 19, 2009 at 9:45 AM

I like him, need c0nfidence back th0

• Pons Aelius

Feb 19, 2009 at 9:47 AM

Cracking player. He should come into his own next season.

• Toon Graeme

Feb 19, 2009 at 9:50 AM

Will agreed – he’s looked shakey of late.

He works well with Bassong and thats a good thing.

Cant wait for Sunday – its been a long two weeks!

• ronaldeano

Feb 19, 2009 at 9:50 AM

He needs to do better clearing the ball with his head.

His awareness at set pieces has cost us goals this season, he needs to brush up on that.

Otherwise, good player

• club insider

Feb 19, 2009 at 9:54 AM

Needs a good game on Sunday !

This will be a very important 3 points for us we need to build on the 3 gained as the baggies !!

Ho’way the mighty magpies !!!!

• club insider

Feb 19, 2009 at 9:57 AM

Loved the singing to the Everton fans last season too!

‘Who’s that eating out of a bin? Is it a scouser? Is it a scouser?’

(to the tune of the automatics, is it a monster?)

Priceless ! 😀

• Toon_Factor

Feb 19, 2009 at 10:13 AM

I really like Coloccini, he came in at a difficult time and needs time to adapt, this season we have mostly played the partnership of Coloccini and Bassong, 2 first timers in the premier league and considering that they have done well! Next season should be the season he shows his true class, some people on here have said before that he hasn’t got the right Physique for playing in the prem when you think of the likes of Vidic, Hangeland, Ferdinand and Upson etc, but If you look at players like Carragher, Carvalho, A.Hughes and Iavanovic etc they havnt either and are all brilliant defenders!

• ginkoh

Feb 19, 2009 at 10:13 AM

More physical and he’ll be perfect.

• Whumpie

Feb 19, 2009 at 10:26 AM

Actually, Ed, I think his words are a bit worrying. I think he’s putting out an early ‘come and get me if you think you’re rich enough’ because he’s not enjoying this relegation stuff.

I hope I’m wrong, of course – but his statement wasn’t exactly the same as others who have said they’re here as long as they’re wanted, is it?

• babelfish

Feb 19, 2009 at 11:17 AM

Collocini has been a bit hit and miss this season but i expect him to look much better next season. His partnership with Bassong has been a revelation. If his heart not in the toon then let him go. I think a Beye/Bassong CB partnership would be good.

• african-kenyan-ronnie

Feb 19, 2009 at 11:27 AM

this guy is tota rubbish our back four shoulb be geremi beye bassong enrique

• LoonyToon @ graft

Feb 19, 2009 at 11:30 AM

Decent first season and building a very good partnership with Seb Bassong….

He will get better next season as he adapts to the physical nature of the English game…..

Looks Very promising….wouldnt mind him playing defensive mid either as he is quality on the ball and although he wouldnt trouble the lads at 100 metres, he certainly has the legs to get round the park….

Liking his comments in the paper this week about being settled and wanting to stay….postive…

like it

• Waldo P. Barnstormer

Feb 19, 2009 at 11:33 AM

Cosidering he came to a club where no one knows what the hell is happening 1 manager walks (AGAIN), mass protests during a game, The clubs for sale, an interim manager is brought in, the club is now not for sale, the manager falls ill (is he coming back?) another protest this week.

I think its a testemant to all the players especially those in there first season to be adapting/ performing to a standard that might keep us safe.

• TheDan

Feb 19, 2009 at 1:49 PM

Certainly my favourite player,
    I was delighted when we signed him as he was always in the la liga team of the year I think.

• club insider

Feb 19, 2009 at 5:34 PM

african-kenyan-ronnie,

Shut up you tool !

• cyprus

Feb 19, 2009 at 5:45 PM

Excellent player, cool in all situations. Some people point out a couple of mistakes, but show me one defender in that position, the most responsible of positions (barring that of goalie), who doesn’t make any mistakes. Terry? Ferdinand? You name the team, I’ll show you a dozen errors. Don’t bash him. He’s world class, it will be devastating if he leaves. Most of our clean sheets are with him and Bassong centre, Beye and Enrique. Taylor is full of passion, but is not up to the standard of those 4. Finally, I wish Bassong wouldn’t argue with Enrique on the pitch. It’s not as if he (bassong) doesn’t make his share of mistakes.. (remember them?)