Kinnear Touched By Outflowing Of Support

Joe Kinnear has talked to the press for almost the very first time, since undergoing his heart bypass surgery last Friday.

joe-kinnear-23748

Joe Kinnear – taking it easy in hospital right now

Kinnear talked today to the press, now he is safely out of intensive care, and resting up in his own room at the hospital:

“I’d really like to thank everyone for all their best wishes while I’ve been in hospital,”

“I had the operation last Friday and since then it’s just been a case of taking it easy. The doctors have told me everything has gone well, I feel OK and hope to be able to go home on Sunday.”

“I’ll be ringing Chris [Hughton] to say ‘good luck’ to him and the boys for Sunday’s game.” “I’ll be glued to the television cheering them on and hopefully the lads can build on the win they had against West Bromwich Albion and pick up another three points.”

“I know the fans will be right behind the team again on Sunday. I said from day one when I took over that they are the 12th man for us and they have a big role to play for us again as always at the weekend.”

“I’ve been really touched by all the messages I’ve had from people over the last two weeks. I’d like to thank everyone for that and I hope to see you all again soon.”

Since Joe will be watching, the last thing we want is for the game to be too stressful for him, so maybe can be two up by half time, and then run out easy 3-0 winners.

We’re sure Chris will be explaining that to the players before the game. 😀

But seriously, we think the fact that Joe will be watching the game on TV, will spur our players into doing everything they can to secure all 3 points for the gaffer. We are looking for some very committed performances against Everton, who are a very good side under David Moyes.

Whether you like Joe or don’t like him, he’s given everything to Newcastle since he arrived last September, and it’s hard to ask anybody for more than that.

Howay The Lads!!

• Rodzilla

Feb 19, 2009 at 9:10 PM

…..”glued to the television” watching a must-win TOON game, week after a triple heart bypass. I could think of a few less stressful things to do on a Sunday afternoon given said circumstances!

Good to see you well Joe!

• Rodzilla

Feb 19, 2009 at 9:13 PM

……..(like stroking a kitten or reading a book on topiary).

• nufc1818

Feb 19, 2009 at 9:15 PM

hes a good genuine man, get well soon joe!

ive been missing his rants about….well anything he can rant about really haha

• Johno Toon

Feb 19, 2009 at 9:16 PM

I like joe and think he has done a decne enough job for us.

Get well soon jfk

• Rodzilla

Feb 19, 2009 at 9:17 PM

….actually, stroking a cat would probably be better, given the often abrupt claw-swipes associated with kittens.

• Toronto_Toon

Feb 19, 2009 at 9:17 PM

I wish him a speedy recovery, but think he’s crazy to consider coming back. Hopefully his family will persuade him to give up the idea.

Ideally the Toon would stay up, he’d get the 1m quid he’s allegedly been promised, get a good retirement, and we’d bring someone new in for the summer.

• Brazilian Geordie

Feb 19, 2009 at 9:17 PM

There’s only one Joe Kinnear! 🙂

• Norn Iron Magpie

Feb 19, 2009 at 9:20 PM

Topiary? Very nice. Get well soon JK. Maybe he could make a crazy maze on the pitch. First full team that gets out of it wins three points. lol

• Rodzilla

Feb 19, 2009 at 9:25 PM

Top idea Norn Iron!

…would be a maze in.

…(sorry)

• Rodzilla

Feb 19, 2009 at 9:29 PM

Yeah, fair credit to the man. He’s obviously gagging to get back in there. Like Toronto_Toon says though – pretty serious decision to get so involved so soon. But, guess you can take JFK out of the TOON, but you can’t take the TOON out of JFK. There’s not much more to say on it really – it’s his decision. It’d probably cause him more stress to be relieved of his duties than it would to keep him involved!

I have the utmost respect for the bloke. Fair play.

• Norn Iron Magpie

Feb 19, 2009 at 9:31 PM

Honestly if it was me i would think of my health first. Dont think it would be good for him to come back. Sorry to say it because i like the man. Was starting think things were on the up. Not to sure now though with Houghton and Calderwood in charge

• Rodzilla

Feb 19, 2009 at 9:39 PM

Yeah NIM, it is quite a large gamble the board ‘seem’ to be taking in not appointing a new manager. I also think though, given the current circumstances, that the team will put in that little bit of extra fight. We do also have a MUCH better squad now to what we had a month or so ago. I reckon we’ll be OK. To be honest I just want to stay up this season, rebuild in the Summer and go hell for leather next season. Been a fkn difficult year.

• royrjmk

Feb 19, 2009 at 9:41 PM

I would also like to wish Joe a speedy recovery

I see we are still top of the league for injuries

• Rodzilla

Feb 19, 2009 at 9:49 PM

yeah royrjmk, we OWN that table – our trophy cabinet is bulging with physioroom.com winners awards.

…looks like we’ll be knocked off the top by West Brom on Sunday though – the cheek of it.

• Rodzilla

Feb 19, 2009 at 9:50 PM

….ah, no we won’t – they got 3 back to our 2.:D

• Hobs

Feb 19, 2009 at 9:55 PM

I don’t think we should disturb the team now by ending Joe’s contract. If it is so that he is not able to continue his job then we should still keep hold of him until someone else can take ower immediately. Another caretaker and then maybe even another manager in the summer is no good for the team at all.
    If there is going to be a new manager then it has to be someone good enough to take the team forward and not another 2nd choise that takes the job because noone else want it. If we can’t get that in now then Kinnear should still be the official manager.

• Rodzilla

Feb 19, 2009 at 10:01 PM

Can’t see that happening Hobs, honestly don’t think anything will change until the Summer. Too sensitive a time. Although this is NUFC and you quite literally never know (although we do currently know a little bit more than usual following the Llambias’ interview and the Journo/Chrona webcast thingy).

• Girth

Feb 19, 2009 at 10:27 PM

you know what it is!!
    sorry to bring old topics up again, but just reading over again this makes me sick!!
    £95,748,570 – Made by Hall and family from NUFC
    £50,099,604 – Made by Freddy Shepherd and his family from NUFC
    £13,698,280 – Dividends paid to the Hall family from 1998 to 2005
    £5,489,239 – Dividends paid to the Shepard family from 1998 to 2008
    ARE WE THE BIGGEST BUNCH OF MUGS OR WHAT?!?!?
    It really boils my p*ss when all Asley has done is put a considerable amount of his money into the club and taken nowt out, but then the above ’employees’ raped fans pockets for years, but still, Ashley is the villan!?!?
    I for one stand by the fact that because of the way the club was financed, and because of the nature of the recession we find our selves in, the existence of NUFC this very day would have been in doubt!!
    Should we not be thanking our lucky stars for Mike Ashley??
    discuss.

• Newckie

Feb 19, 2009 at 11:03 PM

Totally agree Ed, especially your closing sentence. Well said.

Joe had the guts and tenacity and came in all guns blazing (ala press haha…get in son!)
    You have to admit the man is a brick and good on him.

Reminds me of the saying “yea though I walk through the valley of death, I will fear no evil. For I am the meanest son of a bitch in the valley.”

Above all else, Joe deserves respect. Let us keep THAT focus. Get well Joe, let’s hope the lads can do you proud.

• LooneyToon

Feb 19, 2009 at 11:12 PM

Good factual post Girth lad….

Last weeks “interview” by Llambias has given the owner some breathing space….he needs to back up his words with actions…

Personally I couldnt give 2 hoots who is in charge as long as they have the best interest of NUFC at heart….

At the end of the day, Mike Ashley is a businessman and in the long term will want to make a profit on his investment….That “profit” will be made from increasing the value of the club…..not skimming 5 million or so from every transfer window by selling players…..

The only way the club will increase in value is if we are successful on the pitch…ie European football…The target of Champions League football after 5 years, if it came to fuition, would roughly value the club at 500 million (read a report thats hows much a champions league club is valued at the very least)….

It may be worth more as Chelsea are valued at 700 million, Manure £800/£900 million and Liverpool around £500 million….

We dont have to finance a new stadium and Mike has plans to run the club on a level footing meaning no more borrowing…..therefore if we were “challenging for everything” within 5 years he will have made a nice profit and we will all be happy bunny’s….

Personally I am glad the last regime were bought out…we would have been right up the duff if they hadnt…..notice the silence is golden from Shepherd since the figures came out re the finances and how much he made…..says it all really….good riddance….

• Rodzilla

Feb 19, 2009 at 11:19 PM

Girth,
    I personally never jumped on the board-hating bandwagon after KK’s departure, on the contrary I thought it seemed a little strange his eagerness to leave us in the proverbial, despite how much “he cared” and the apparent olive branch extensions and negotiations from the Board. I guess we’ll all get to see what really happened once their court case is finalised.

I could never understand, or empathise with what all the fuss was about. “How dare MA force KK out!” – Unfortunately for MA, the fans’ knee jerk reaction in response to the shock of an NUFC legend’s divorce from the club, immediately ripped up any status Ashley had already earned by this point and, in a way acted like a smokescreen to hide all his previous good intent.

I’d read about all the money MA had put into the club and was honestly quite bemused by this overwhelming reaction by what seemed like (due to media coverage) the majority of fans. I’m a Geordie living in Sheffield so never actually got to gauge the hysteria levels first hand.

I don’t know how accurate your figures are on the Halls and Shepherds, but if true they are quite hard to swallow. I always knew Shepherd was a crook, but because he was a Geordie and a Newcastle supporter he seemed to get away with a lot more than most. I may well get shot down for this, but I actually felt quite sorry for MA when he was forced to sell, and quite embarrassed by the “Cockney Mafia Out” banners.

I may well have just made some enemies on this blog with this post – but I’m just speaking my mind and telling it how I see it. All I want is success for my beloved club – and some sort of stability FFS. Something I can’t see militant protests and rallies achieving.

• Toon_Factor

Feb 19, 2009 at 11:34 PM

Rodzilla

I agree with your Essay, apart from the part about the “Cockney Mafia Out” banner, i thought that was quite funny

• Rodzilla

Feb 19, 2009 at 11:46 PM

Toon_Factor // Feb 19, 2009 at 11:34 PM

…yes mate, I do have a sense of humour as well and could see the “funny” side of it. I was more concerned about the adverse effect it would have on the Southern-based media’s already bias views on flat-cap and whippet thick Northerners; and the frenzy it would cause amongst the less-perceptive Newcastle fans.

…anyway, it’s late and the Llamas need changing. I’m off to oil the rabbits.

• Stardust

Feb 20, 2009 at 12:38 AM

Girth – those facts were at the heart of my capaign – when FFS the swindler was in charge I would use stringer wording but I am aware of libel! I gave up my season tickets, I had followed the finances for years, thats why throughout all the c*p I have stood by Ashley. A man carrying the can for anothers dispicible acts.

But to this day, despite having taken nothing, given everything, and every fact (not press headline) he has said is true – the Mob chose to distrust him.

for anyone else nufc-finances.org.uk makes good reading

• Stardust

Feb 20, 2009 at 12:41 AM

just read my post – spelling was shocking!

• ginkoh

Feb 20, 2009 at 3:12 AM

See the Newcastle match is the most stressful thing in the world for us. hahaha. Take it easy Joe this sunday will be hard.

• lesh

Feb 20, 2009 at 8:35 AM

re Topiary and Norn Iron Magpie @ 8 and Rodzilla @ 9……

Nice one you two, that’s real cutting ‘edge
    humour…..

• lesh

Feb 20, 2009 at 8:37 AM

Pressed enter too soon.

Easy does it Joe!

• Toon Sweden77

Feb 20, 2009 at 9:01 AM

Morning all! You probably already read this one but Ill post it anyway, really funny..

Q. What does Al Pacino have in common with Charles N’Zogbia?

A. One starred in a movie called ‘Insomnia’, the other’s last name IS ‘Insomnia.’

Q. What do UFO’s and a good transfer deal at St. James’ Park have in common?

A. You keep hearing of them, but never see one.

Q. What’s the difference between Mike Ashley and a Vampire?

A. The vampire only sucks blood at night.

Q. What’s the difference between Shola Ameobi, and a virgin nerd looking for sex?

A. The nerd has a better chance of scoring.

Q. How are games at St. James’ Park like a soap opera?

A. Because just when it is getting interesting, its over until next time.

Q. How many players does it take for the Magpies to score in a match?

A. Twenty-two. The other team has to help.

Q. What’s the difference between Newcastle United’s present management, and a battery?

A. The battery has a positive side.

• Toon Graeme

Feb 20, 2009 at 9:12 AM

Eh up lads. Its the weekend again and the footie is back on at SJP. Thank god for that.

Im optimistic for Sunday. Lets be loud and blow the roof off.

Was watching SSN when I was putting me socks on this morning and according to the form guide chart, we will finish 13 if we continue as we have done!! Wow – what exciting news.

Anyone got any good scouser based songs for Sunday?

• sahota

Feb 20, 2009 at 9:18 AM

I am not sure if you all have same views to me. But I have seen wind changing bit of direction after Newcastle have come out with statements in press about finances and other details. Personally if anyone cares little bit about Newcastle they should know by now that MA is not villain. Yes he has made mistakes. But I think now is time when every fan should get behind team and support the club on whole. That will give MA bit more confidence and who knows things might change quickly. As far as KK saga is concerned, nobody knows truth. I think fans over reacted without knowing what happened. hopefully one day truth will come out. I am not saying anything against KK, but everyone should understand even COURT do not declare someone as KILLER till it is proved in court. Leaving all things behind, lets get behind team and Joe. We are sometimes very impatient, I think Joe is the solution till situation at Newcastle settles down. I mean till MA and fans get together and are happy bunch. Once everything is sorted, many would like to come to Newcastle.

Good luck to Joe for quick recovery from surgery. I hope he comes back for good number of games before season ends and hope we do well and finish above our position last season.

• coyote

Feb 20, 2009 at 9:18 AM

Joes wife would be well advised to remove the tv out of his line of sight and ban all radios during the came
    I can’t think of anything more stressful than watching the toon at the moment it is heart attack stuff

get well soon and keep away from the tele till your fit enough

• Toon Sweden77

Feb 20, 2009 at 9:23 AM

Anyone playing FM2009 ? (stupid question) but I have a question for you: I started playing it yesterday and my question is: Will Michael Owen sign a new contract or is he leaving?

• Toon Graeme

Feb 20, 2009 at 9:28 AM

ToonSweden:

Thats the x million pound question.

I think he will get back into the squad, pimp himself up to look good and sod off in the summer.

Gut feeling.

• murphy

Feb 20, 2009 at 9:31 AM

he’ll sign if you do fairly well toon sweeden, are you in your first season? Buy Mata if you can, he’ll make you millions as after a few seasons man utd take him off your hands for a cool £25m.

Anyone seen the team for Everton, do you think the first 11 in this list will be the team?

Harper, S Taylor, Bassong, Coloccini, Enrique, R Taylor, Butt, Nolan, Duff, Lovenkrands, Ameobi, Jonas, Smith, Viduka, Martins, Edgar, Forster, Cacapa, Geremi, Edgar, Donaldson.

• workyticket

Feb 20, 2009 at 9:34 AM

Rodzilla // Feb 19, 2009 at 11:19 PM

“I’m a Geordie living in Sheffield so never actually got to gauge the hysteria levels first hand.”

Have you ever read about the Salem witch trials of 1692 Rodzilla? 🙂

• Toon Sweden77

Feb 20, 2009 at 9:36 AM

Yes its my first season, only played a few games. 5:th place, one loss so far, against Chelsea. My problem is that because of injuries to Martins and Owen I started playing Smith and Xisco up front and they are doing so damn well that I cant put them on the bench at the moment!

Micheal Owen is already pissed off because I refused to sell him to AC Milan in pre-season.

• Toon Graeme

Feb 20, 2009 at 9:47 AM

Off topic but did anyone watch the UEFA matches last night?

Poor pompey and as for Citey – didnt they look cold in the snow.

Given stood like a tatey when the equaliser ball went passed him. Seen that before.

• Toon Graeme

Feb 20, 2009 at 9:48 AM

Where the hell did pompey come from? Dam Im working too hard. Meant spuds

• murphy

Feb 20, 2009 at 10:03 AM

Yeah smith and xisco seem to be reall goal machines in that game, I’d sell smith for 5m and keep xisco as he’ll stay on the bench and in the reserves and whenever he plays he bangs them in, get two world class strikers and when one gets injured xisco will happly fill that gap.