Newcastle Close To Mallorca Deal On Gutierrez – But Why?


There is news in the Daily Mirror this morning that Newcastle are coming close to reaching a settlement with Real Mallorca for Jonas Gutierrez.

81950564DD002_NEWCASTLE_UNI

Jonas Gutierrez – bought out contract at Mallorca so why new agreement?

The Argentine international bought himself out of his contract with Real Mallorca last summer, to join Newcastle in the summer.

Gutierrez left Mallorca under FIFA Article 17, the Webster ruling, which allows players under 28 years of age to buy out their contracts after three years, by paying compensation to their club.

And that seems exactly what Gutierrez and Newcastle did, so if everything is above board, what’s the problem?

Real Mallorca are annoyed because only a year ago Portmouth bid £8M for the player, but the Spanish club didn’t take it, so it seems the Newcastle deal in the summer was good for Newcastle, and within the law.

Mallorca lost out, but hey, that’s life, and you cannot then go and complain because you could have had £8M for the player eight months earlier.

If there’s something wrong with Article 17 then fix that, but surely if Newcastle and Gutierrez have abided by all the rules, which both parties say they have, then what is Real Mallorca’s case in law?

The Spanish club have hit Newcastle with a £13.2M compensation bill, which has now been pending for months.

So this is difficult to understand, and does this agreement mean there will be a precedent set, so if any player leaves under Article 17, the player’s club will then claim for compensation and cite the Gutierrez Newcastle case?

It seems the problem, if there is any, lies in Article 17 and that’s whether this rule is lawful or not.

The Daily Mirror is is saying a deal between the clubs will be finalized soon, with a fair price for the winger said to be in the region of £3M – £4M.

Only last week, Newcastle Managing Director Derek Llambias had said they paid £4M for Gutierrez, and maybe that was assuming this agreement went through.

But it’s been a mystery whether the deal Newcastle struck for the Argentine was legal or not, and if it is legal that should be it, and it’s unfortunate for Mallorca, but hard cheese on them.

What do you think?

Comments welcome.



You can share this articleShare on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someonePin on PinterestDigg thisShare on LinkedInShare on RedditShare on Tumblr

20 comments so far

  • RyanToon

    Feb 19, 2009 at 11:27 AM

    Comment #1

    mallorca can kiss my 😉

    0
  • Partizan

    Feb 19, 2009 at 11:30 AM

    Comment #2

    I bet FFS is behind all of this 🙂

    0
  • Ericles

    Feb 19, 2009 at 11:34 AM

    Comment #3

    Another arse swipe from the Mirror, Mirror on the ShiteHouse Wall. Another wind-up, another gin and tonic reporter filling his column probably. In Olde Englishe = bollocks!

    0
  • Partizan

    Feb 19, 2009 at 11:36 AM

    Comment #4

    OMG…..4.5 mill euros for Sakho….we need to act fast on this.Colo could be sold back to La Liga in few years and what better replacement can you get for only 4.5 mill.

    http://www.goal.com/en/news/11/transfer-zone/2009/02/19/1116777/arsenal-eyeing-paris-saint-germains-mamadou-sakho-report

    0
  • Pons Aelius

    Feb 19, 2009 at 11:46 AM

    Comment #5

    FFS has nowt to do with this. I reckon it was Mort and his legal eagles that found the loophole.

    0
  • ToonAllman22

    Feb 19, 2009 at 11:47 AM

    Comment #6

    Worth it?

    0
  • Waldie

    Feb 19, 2009 at 11:55 AM

    Comment #7

    Why is everything so difficult with Newcastle United and transfers since Mike Ashley took over?

    0
  • Nick D

    Feb 19, 2009 at 12:02 PM

    Comment #8

    You’re right Partizan, Sakho and Sissoko should have been snapped up. 4.5m is nothing for Sakho.

    0
  • Monster

    Feb 19, 2009 at 12:09 PM

    Comment #9

    Pons Aelius I think Partizan was referring to FFS’s links to Real Mallorca…?

    0
  • Monster

    Feb 19, 2009 at 12:10 PM

    Comment #10

    Sakho for £4.5m would be awesome… but if Arsenal are interested…

    0
  • Matt

    Feb 19, 2009 at 12:35 PM

    Comment #11

    Sakho is going to be genius.

    0
  • Tom_Toon

    Feb 19, 2009 at 12:44 PM

    Comment #12

    Why pay anything?

    We have done everything according to FIFA rules, therefore done nothing wrong and I dont see a FIFA abitration panel going against their rules, do you?!?!

    Rubbish from the Mirror IMo, Ashley wont pay what whe wont have to.

    0
  • Bosck

    Feb 19, 2009 at 12:55 PM

    Comment #13

    think it’s media rubbish personally. didnt llambias say the other day that this was all sorted.

    0
  • workyticket

    Feb 19, 2009 at 1:15 PM

    Comment #14

    “The Argentine international bought himself out of his contract with Real Mallorca last summer, to join Newcastle in the summer.”

    I divven’t knaa exactly what the score is now Ed, but Mallorca had maintained that Guitierrez (and /or NUFC) DID NOT buy out his contract. That may be rubbish, or not, but that’s what they were going with regarding their civil action against NUFC.

    0
  • Tom_Toon

    Feb 19, 2009 at 1:17 PM

    Comment #15

    He bought out his own contract, that is wha the stated FIFA rule is. Mallorca only said that as they want compensation, which they aren’t gonna get.

    0
  • club insider

    Feb 19, 2009 at 2:13 PM

    Comment #16

    The Daily Mirror is a paper for scandal mongers, liers and cheats.

    It sell well in the land of the Mackem ! 🙂

    And also in the land of the Spud ! 🙂

    0
  • Lew Davies

    Feb 19, 2009 at 3:49 PM

    Comment #17

    It just goes to show you, that mere mortals such as we, know very little about the dodgy underhand wheeling and dealing, that goes on behind the scenes. Also none of us knows the legal aspect, save for the writings of the headline grabbing sensationalist press, who will write anything to fit their own agenda. I’m of the opinion that all this was sorted out before now, or RM would have been making big waves by now. So this is just the press spouting their usual shit about NUFC.
    Its why I dont buy them anymore.

    0
  • Tom_Toon

    Feb 19, 2009 at 4:12 PM

    Comment #18

    Exactly Lew Davies, it die down a lot until the Mirror stuck their dirty awe in.

    0
  • workyticket

    Feb 19, 2009 at 6:57 PM

    Comment #19

    “I’m of the opinion that all this was sorted out before now, or RM would have been making big waves by now. So this is just the press spouting their usual shit about NUFC.”

    Lew, though I understand your mistrust of the press, the date for the hearing was set for early this month a while ago, and they have been thrashing it out. That’s why you’re hearing about it now.

    0
  • Tom_Toon

    Feb 19, 2009 at 7:17 PM

    Comment #20

    Or they are just making up things, which is what I think.

    0

You must log in to post a comment.