Tremendous To Be In A City Like Newcastle – Peter Lovenkrands

Peter Lovenkrands is again today singing the praises of both the Newcastle United Football Club and the Newcastle area in general.

peter-lovenkrands-woid

Peter Lovenkrands – after scoring at WBA

Of course Peter has come from a mini nightmare in Germany where his wife and young daughter were struggling to settle in the country, and Løvenkrands admits that he felt depressed and dejected as his career took a spectacular turn for the worse.

Peter had played just 9 minutes this season, before arriving at Newcastle, and he said today:

“People might laugh when I say I have rediscovered the fun side of the game here given the ups and downs that Newcastle have had,” “But it is true. I am just so happy to be here, play football, get time on the pitch.”

“My family is settled and I am enjoying it. Honestly.” “I know what I can do on a pitch and just needed someone to give me a chance. I got one here, a big one, and I want to take it. It has been a tough couple of months. I wanted away from Germany.”

“They knew that early this season so they didn’t want to use me because I didn’t want to be there.” “My family didn’t settle off the pitch and we decided to get away. We could not really live there any more.”

“I told the club and I was close to going to Fulham in the summer window but it fell through at the last minute.” “Schalke had a new coach in and didn’t want to use me. It was understandable.”

“It makes you miserable when you are not playing. It was difficult, especially for me wife. It’s been tremendous to be in a city like Newcastle, with the shops, just being back in Britain is fantastic.”

It was back in the summer of 2000, when Peter was supposed to be on his way to Newcastle, and Bobby Robson and the club thought we had it all wrapped up. Then at the last moment he took a detour north, and signed for Glasgow Rangers, to the complete surprise of Newcastle.

It seems at the time Peter thought Newcastle were too big a club for him, at the time, and of course he will have remembered the experience of 19 year old Dane Jon Dahl Tomasson before him.  Peter thought he  wouldn’t get too much playing time, with the good team Bobby was amassing at that time.

Peter explained:

“I could have moved here in 2000. I came here for a look. I decided to sign for Rangers because, I thought, as a young lad I would have more chance of getting playing time.” “I thought Newcastle were a bit big for me then.”

“Strangely, I have always looked at Newcastle’s results wherever I have been. As an outsider looking in you just saw a massive club. A great club.” “Now I am here you realise how big it is. With the fans, the stadium and my team-mates. It is huge untapped potential.”

“The club is lying at the wrong end of the table, especially looking at the ability of the lads.” “Yes, I want to stay here for the next few years, but right now I just have to play football.”

“I now have that feeling that football is fun back in my body. I feel I have got my spirit back and the will to play football.”

We have a very tough game against Everton tomorrow, and a defeat would send us down the table again.  We then start a run of home games after the game at Bolton, when we will host Manchester United, Arsenal and Chelsea, in that order. A possible 9 points there maybe?   😀

Løvenkrands knows Newcastle still have plenty to worry about this season, but the 29-year-old Dane is convinced Newcastle will remain in the Premier League next season.

Peter continued:

“You can see in training we are not a team who should be lying down there. We just need to pick it up, build on the away win at West Brom. We also have a tough schedule with the big four coming here.

“That could be a difficult time, but if we do pick up points in those games, even one point can get you jumping up the table. Three points and you can leap up five. That is how tight it is.”

It’s good to have our players praising the club and liking it at Newcastle, and it has balancing effect against the gloom and doom merchants, who are always around, and will depress anybody who will listen to them.

There’s no doubt that Peter, Ryan Taylor and Kevin Nolan have raised the spirits of both players and fans alike, with their praise of the Newcastle club, even in the mess we seem to be in.

But supporters must support the team and the coaches, and this demonstration  tomorrow will hardly be helpful.

We hope the NUSC cancel it,  or at least delay the demonstration until say Monday, when they will  not have a negative impact on our team’s chances of winning tomorrow.

Howay The Lads!!

• Ben_BKK

Feb 21, 2009 at 10:01 AM

He’s looked good so far, hopefully he’s given a chance, as he hasn’t exactly played loads in the time he’s been here.
    Could him and Martins possibly work together?

• Ben_BKK

Feb 21, 2009 at 10:01 AM

Oh, and 1st 😛

• Stardust

Feb 21, 2009 at 10:04 AM

First Class attitude, he only signed till the seasons end, I like everything he says – and like the way he plays even more – a propper player.

Troy Stavers, states he is another of Ashleys mediocre signings, lets hope Peter rams those words down Stavers neck – and gets a long contract come June.

• ginkoh

Feb 21, 2009 at 10:14 AM

Honestly, I don’t care what happen if we still get the 3 points tomorrow.

I can’t say that we surely win tomorrow but I just hope everyone stay on the side, We may down 0-1 but If all supporters show the roar all game for players. I think we’ll be fine.

Howay the lads for tomorrow ! Hope the god be with us.

• will die for the toon army

Feb 21, 2009 at 10:25 AM

sori guys if am being so optimistic but this morning i have been reading abt the new Europa league and I think we can qualify if we get a good run of games and end 7th or 8th.

But the confusing part is does the runner up in the cup final qualify or not. Get back to me coz i want to remain hopeful 4 Europe next year.

These two links are confusing……..

Read this too……….

• batty

Feb 21, 2009 at 10:39 AM

STARDUST see you have joined the mob that hate jade goody thought you dont like mobs hippocrate

• Toon_Ksk (Huh? u mean David Craig is real?)

Feb 21, 2009 at 11:08 AM

Glad he likes this city. I like it too 🙂

• leazers corner

Feb 21, 2009 at 11:18 AM

Needs to be given a chance ahead of Ameobi

• AngerOfTheNorth

Feb 21, 2009 at 11:54 AM

Lovenkrands isn’t a little lad, he can certainly hold his own. He seems able to hold onto the ball and seeing as the aerial approach won’t work against Everton I see no reason whatsoever to start Ameobi ahead of him. Plus Peter and Oba’s pace will pull their centrebacks all over the park.

If that happens, I’d like to see Nolan push up a bit and threaten from just outside the area…

• waddler

Feb 21, 2009 at 12:03 PM

My God! all we need now is Zisco to come on and find his confidence, bang in a goal or two and everyone will be singing Wise’s praises.
    I hope the young lads really push hard next season and become established first teamers.

• LoonyToon

Feb 21, 2009 at 1:17 PM

I was reading the NUSC site the other day (I’m not a member) and they emphasised
    IT IS NOT A DEMONSTRATION.

It will only be morons who turn it into one. They have agreed to meet in town to whip up a carnival atmosphere and have a great time.

It is the press who are pushing it as a demonstration. IT IS NOT.

Just thought I would clear that up because NUSC are getting some bad press. It really looks like they are being targetted and discredited.

And please anyone going do not demonstrate. Sunday is about beating Everton and not about Ashley out. Let’s just support the club until the summer and see what happens. We can’t do anything else. Demonstrating now would damage our club.

It’s never boring being a Toon fan is it. Can you imagine supporting a normal team where you watch them play and spend the following week just waiting for the match. Boring. Bring on the bad press and scandals 🙂 It’s never boring being a Toon fan.

Toon Toon Black n White Army………

• Stardust

Feb 21, 2009 at 3:00 PM

Loony Toon – this was debated on the thread yesterday – the press will only pick up on the Demo angle – the fools are taking a Petition around with them.

Look out Monday morning when the papers and TV are full again. They are morons.

• Stardust

Feb 21, 2009 at 3:07 PM

Batty I dont like her as a person, dont trust her, dont care for her, she has covetted PR all her life and now she is on overdrive, I said I didnt trust her as it could be overstated. My comment was about her character.

I would not and have not wished cancer nor have I laughed about it with anyone.

I have been told youre trying to state on other threads that I am taking the piss out of or her for it.

Youre a bloody disgrace – trying to points score with dross like that – trying to take swipes with cheap shots about stuff I havent said. You dont know me, my background or what times it has affected me, my family or those around me.

Fella in the future dont post a single item for me to respond to – you really are the worst kind of low life – shoe scrapingly bad.

• workyticket

Feb 21, 2009 at 3:42 PM

LoonyToon // Feb 21, 2009 at 1:17 PM

“…I say lets give them a chance. It could be a really good organisation if it is given the chance.

I bet we’ll see some charver with 2 brain cells on the telly singing Ashley out on Sunday. Just the usual pleb the press will find to make us all look like uneducated lower class morons.”

LooneyToon,

“4. NUSC recognises that the current situation at NUFC cannot be of long-term benefit to NUFC and therefore calls for that situation to be resolved by the present owner disposing of his interest in the club to somebody/organisation who has the long-term interests of the club at heart.”

So at least some of it is “Ashley OOT” LoonyToon, and less of the “uneducated lower class morons” please, that says much more about you than it does about them. My parents were ‘uneducated’ and ‘lower class’ too. They sent both myself and my siblings to public school and university, but we could never put one over on our auld mutha!

• LoonyToon

Feb 21, 2009 at 4:46 PM

workyticket:
    “So at least some of it is “Ashley OOT” LoonyToon, and less of the “uneducated lower class morons” please, that says much more about you than it does about them. ”

Ok I admit I didn’t choose the best words and apologise for that. I went to school but I’m not highly educated so don’t brand me please. Does it make you feel any better?

What I was getting at with the wrong choice of words is how we are portrayed in the press. You know exactly what I mean you are just being picky and trying to get yourself some browny points on a popularity level.

I do apologise for my comments though. Maybe you are right. Maybe it does say something about me. If that’s the case I’m man enough to admit it and learn from it. Let’s move on.

• LoonyToon

Feb 21, 2009 at 4:50 PM

workyticket:

I know that. I was just mentioning what I had read a few days earlier about Sunday not being a demonstration.

• LoonyToon

Feb 21, 2009 at 5:04 PM

Stardust:

Sorry about that. I didn’t realise.

• LoonyToon

Feb 21, 2009 at 5:12 PM

I’ve just sussed why workyticket reacted to my post.

He’s going to protest. He’s read my post about the demonstration, saw my comment and thought to himeself “I’m not an uneducated lower classs moron”.

Makes sense.

The line is cast. Having a few cans and waiting for a bite. Time for a song “Gone fishing…….”

• workyticket

Feb 21, 2009 at 7:01 PM

LoonyToon // Feb 21, 2009 at 5:12 PM

“I’ve just sussed why workyticket reacted to my post.

Makes sense.

No you haven’t LoonyToon, you’re just making an even bigger fool of yourself. Quite a few people here know that I don’t agree with some of the aims of NUSC.

Just because I am wealthy and highly educated, it does not automatically mean that I will sympathise with your pathetic snobbery and generalisations. I pity you.

• Tom_Toon

Feb 21, 2009 at 7:19 PM

• LoonyToon

Feb 21, 2009 at 11:18 PM

Lol hooked got a bite.

workyticket take it easy man I was pulling your leg. And by the way I’m far from a snob.

“Just because I am wealthy and highly educated”

I don’t know why you had to bring that up. Does it make a difference? Does it seperate your opinion from mine? Is that not a snobby comment to make? I’m not saying you are one but surely you can see how words on a screen can be misconceived.

“No you haven’t LoonyToon, you’re just making an even bigger fool of yourself. ”

No I’m not. I wrote an opinion. A fair one at that I think. Yes I could have phrased it differently and I’ve apologised for that. I’m no fool mate believe me.

Am I now the target of your witch hunt? I hope you enjoy yourself.

“Quite a few people here know that I don’t agree with some of the aims of NUSC.”

Fair enough. Try talking to me instead of attacking me.

Oh and by the way thank you for a warm welcome to the blog. Much appreciated. I only hope others on here are more friendly.

• Tom_Toon