Spaniard Xisco Likely To Be Sold In Summer

Newcastle United’s Spanish U-21 striker Xisco is hoping to be back in contention for the run-in to the season, after sustaining a toe injury in the recent 5-0 Reserves win over Wigan, when he scored two good goals.

xisco-ghghgth1

Xisco – recovering from a toe injury

The 22 year-old 6’2″ striker was signed from Deportivo la Coruna in the summer for a reported £5.7M, but has been disappointing in his first season on Tyneside.

It’s true that Xisco has had a lot of injuries in his first season, but it seems he is way back in the pecking order of strikers right now on Tyneside.

Xisco talked today to the Evening Chronicle about his toe injury:

“It’s feeling much better. Two weeks after the reserve game I have started to come back.”

“I could be back in training for the week of the Hull game. But certainly I hope to be back in contention for a place in the squad for the Arsenal game.”

In the summer there will probably be a clear-out of our strikers. We currently have Owen, Viduka, Martins Carroll, Ameobi, Smith and Xisco fighting it out for a couple of places up front.

Viduka and Owen will leave once their contracts expire, and it’s more than likely that Kinnear will try to cash in on Xisco, and maybe even Alan Smith, although Joe will want to take a look at Alan through the rest of the season. The club are also trying to sign Andy Carroll to a new improved contract, and the last thing we want is to lose local lad Andy.

How much of the £5.7M the club will be able to claw back for Xisco is debatable however, since the lad has only appeared 7 times, with just 4 starts this season for Newcastle.  With the competition for places up front now stronger than ever, it’s unlikely he will see much action in the first team during the remainder of this season.

Note: We’ve been told that our RSS feed has not been working – so if you’d like to get the automatic feed for the blog click here.

• Ever seen a mackem in Milan?

Feb 27, 2009 at 11:48 AM

This is taking the mick now Ed. Why do you think its likely he will be sold? No quotes from anyone about it and Xisco seems determined to prove himself.

• Phillippe Alberrrrrrrt

Feb 27, 2009 at 11:51 AM

I agree – It seems to be turning into a bit of a personal vendetta against the young guy

• RyanToon

Feb 27, 2009 at 11:55 AM

i really think we should KEEP xisco, hes got huge potential

• Kash

Feb 27, 2009 at 11:56 AM

The Chronicle article does not suggest that Xisco is to be sold!!!!

• Nobby_Long

Feb 27, 2009 at 11:57 AM

Ed, I don’t mind you writing what you like as articles, but please can you differentiate between post which reflect other reports, and those which are supposition on your behalf.

This artcile is a clear example of the latter, and the tone of the headline is nowhere near respresentative of it being solely based on your view of Xisco’s situation.

Can you not see why some people get angered and frustrated by this?

• Toon Sweden77

Feb 27, 2009 at 11:59 AM

Owen, will leave in the summer.
    Viduka, will leave in the summer.
    Martins, the board better not sell him if they want the fans back!
    Carroll, still young and learning.
    Ameobi, not premiership standard and should been given a new contract!
    Smith, high-earner, likely to be sold because of that..
    Xisco, why sell him when hes not had the chance to prove himself yet? Seems like he wants to stay and DL just said that he was bought for the future..

• Monster

Feb 27, 2009 at 12:00 PM

Has there ever been any reports or indication that Xisco might be leaving in the summer from anyone (except Ed)?

• Nick 69

Feb 27, 2009 at 12:01 PM

theres NEVER been anything said by anyone at the club to suggest he will be sold, and i agree it seems like more of a personal vendetta, you seem to have something against the lad Ed as you mention in pretty much every story that he will be sold, leave the lad alone will you please hes done nothing to deserve this from you, he may not have started well but hes had only a handful of games in a team that is playin poorly and he seem very commited

• Toon_Ksk (Huh? u mean David Craig is real?)

Feb 27, 2009 at 12:01 PM

Ed, I have been speaking up for you whenever you faced criticisms. However, with this article, you are really pushing it too far.

From what I have read, he is coming back from injury and looking to prove himself worthy of a first-team place. He will use this summer to improve his skills and fitness and push for a first team spot next season. Why are you targeting Xisco like what a tabloid newspaper are doing?

To be honest, everybody in the squad is “likely” to be sold this summer since we have already sold our best player, Shay Given. Anything and anybody is possible so stop singling Xisco out.

• hitman

Feb 27, 2009 at 12:03 PM

we carnt afford to let xisco go,he might of been shite since he landed,but it would cost alot more to get someone new in..

• ronaldeano

Feb 27, 2009 at 12:04 PM

Lambiarse said that xisco was “one for the future”

There is no way they will sell him in the summer

• Kash

Feb 27, 2009 at 12:06 PM

Actually, it had been suggested that Xisco was to be sold in January, but some FIFA rule scuppered the move!

• Stardust

Feb 27, 2009 at 12:06 PM

Classic “EDLINE” as I advocated yesterday – meaningless pointless and destabilising tosh.

• Pons Aelius

Feb 27, 2009 at 12:11 PM

The day we signed him my mate made a crappy looking mock up of the Saturday Night Fever poster, replacing John Travolta’s head with Xisco’s.

Xisco in a Disco

It’s sad but I laughed so hard the Becks I was drinking splurted out my nose f^&ked my keyboard.

Damn those obvious rhymes.

• neil

Feb 27, 2009 at 12:13 PM

Oh dear Ed. Looks like you’ve lost a few supporters with this one. Maybe you could put something like, “In my opinion” or something like that. I think this is what happens when your blog becomes as big as it is. I think I was one of the first people to post on your blog and have watched it grow at a tremendous rate but with that you have to maybe change the way you write your articles Ed. I think people still like the site though just because your site is seen by so many now we don’t want your views to become the voice for all.

• neil

Feb 27, 2009 at 12:14 PM

That is a very funny story Pons Aelius. Made me laugh at my desk however luckily I am not allowed to drink at work!! LOL

• bowburnmag

Feb 27, 2009 at 12:23 PM

neil – that’s slave labour, surely?

• Waldo P. Barnstormer

Feb 27, 2009 at 12:24 PM

I like the site Ed but this is turning into a witch hunt to get the lad kicked out. Every article you have him down to be sold then say he has had a disapointing season when he has’nt been given a chance. Lets just see what happens rather than make asumtions as he aint a high earner, has been said that he is one for the future.

So ease up and give the lad a break. Please.

• Toon_Ksk (Huh? u mean David Craig is real?)

Feb 27, 2009 at 12:26 PM

Please write articles with your heart and conscience. If what you are aiming is getting your own column in The Sun, please carry on writing bollocks.

• neil

Feb 27, 2009 at 12:30 PM

Bowburnmag my boss reckons not!!!! Ouch he’s just whipped me. He’s a great boss and hasn’t made me write that at all!!! LOL
    What do you make of Ed’s article mate? Did you think what I said was fair?

• Nobby_Long

Feb 27, 2009 at 12:30 PM

Ed,

Although I like the blog immensely, I find this kind of sensationalising of your own opinion very disappointing and very unnecessary.

Its too much like tabloid headlines and surely you can rise above that.

IF it is you view – just say so in the headline, then we will all get along swimmingly & get back to arguing about the merits of Ashley’s continued stewardship of the club …..lol

• bowburnmag

Feb 27, 2009 at 12:31 PM

I think Ed has probably got the message but I sort of agree it’s getting a bit daft about Xisco. Isn’t the headline actually just a repeat of one he’s written at least once if not twice before?

Either way though, reading through the posts, it seems the majority at least recognise that it’s Ed opinion and not fact. Isn’t the blog supposed to be a bit of both though? So most of are aware, it’s not all gospel that we’re reading, including the “misleading” headlines? Write it off and say nowt or discuss. Fairly simple couple of options to my mind.

• Toon Graeme

Feb 27, 2009 at 12:45 PM

Is Ed not allowed his own opinions as we all have on here? Just a thought.

• Stardust

Feb 27, 2009 at 12:47 PM

Neil good post – must be strange though – akin to building a house – and a load of squatters moving in with you – do you still own the house or do theyhave squatters rights.

With success comes change – think Ed has to accept he nutured his baby, its grown its own living breathing personality – time to set it free and simply post objective not subjective stories.

look where subjectivity got us post KK!!!! A Mobbase instead of fanbase.

• shearerbliss

Feb 27, 2009 at 12:55 PM

Ed like the others and my respected blogger stardust you have to stop this witch hunt for young xisco. Do you want another saha situation with someone like wigan picking him up to find out we had the next torres!
    If we can WASTE our money on shola why cant we just keep the lad for a few years. Send him out on loan to a championship team so he could get the experence. I for one would give the kid a chance, so could you PLEASE GET OFF HIS BACK!

• Toon Graeme

Feb 27, 2009 at 12:56 PM

Shearerbliss – good point.

• toonarmyuk

Feb 27, 2009 at 12:57 PM

Some common sense there about the Xisxo situation which seems to back up everyone’s feelings towards Ed about his so-called vendetta.

Toon Graeme – yes he is, but we get the drift. Selling Xisco seems to appear ini EVERY article Ed writes, whether it links into the actual article or not.

Hopefully Ed will now take the hint…

• Matt

Feb 27, 2009 at 1:02 PM

Tis getting to be a bit stupid to be honest. Didn’t Llambias say in one of his interviews that Xisco is a long termer? Have some patience will you.

• bowburnmag

Feb 27, 2009 at 1:09 PM

Stardust – I have to say, I think that’s a load of toss. No disrespect. I agree regards regurgitating the Xisco sotry but if we regard Ed as a ‘true’ fan then he has every right to present his feelings.
    By the same token of not submitting every headline with ‘in my opinion’ in bold and bracketed text, neither does he lead with “I think I speak for everyone here when I say……”.

I know I’m probably in the minority here but as this is a blog and not a newsfeed, I accept that even as a budding journalist, Ed should be allowed subjective licence on something he takes the time out to present and considering his subjective outlook on the matter.

We could do with some fresher threads though when it’s quiet and he needs to stop giving Xisco grief even though I don’t really rate what I’ve seen so far.

Anyone who thinks Ed is full of it regards anything he types should tell him so but I think it’s unfair to criticise his subjective approach.

(In my opinion)

• Brutooon

Feb 27, 2009 at 1:13 PM

look at our current strikers:

Martins – Our Best Striker, just need a good partner to play with him.
    Owen-injury prone, i think and i hope he join other clubs during the summer
    Ameobi-NEVER improve, championship player
    Viduka-Our best target man but age-wise is getting older
    Smith- not good enough to play in any position. His attitude is brilliant but he deserve to be a FAN rather than a PLAYER
    Caroll- improving hopefully

• Stardust

Feb 27, 2009 at 1:20 PM

BBM – surely we want stability at the club – with stability comes responsibility to report in an objective not subjective or a sensationalist way.

Eds almost become a custodian of opinion, with the ability to influence – his success and the fact he is a fan – means he has far greater responsibility now than when he first started and no doubt created an outlet for “spouting off” like we all love to.

Can you not see the transition of change neccessary?

• bowburnmag

Feb 27, 2009 at 1:45 PM

Stardust – I know what you’re saying but I also feel we should be responsible for our own opinions. The majority can determine what is fact and what is opinion and make their own minds up. He’s not here to speak on behalf of us. He’s here to let us do that for ourselves.

Which means Ed should be able to spout off and we can say if we think he’s talking tosh or not. Which inevitably he does sometimes. However, I don’t question his motives, just his content and his opinion. That’s what I’m here for anyway. Bit of banter and maybe learn a thing or two I don’t already know (some would argue there’s a lot of mileage in that where I’m concerned….).

I’m sure Ed gets a kick from the praise and conversely saying something a little controversial and stirring up debate and getting grief but I still think that’s his right given the nature of the site.

• Toon_Ice

Feb 27, 2009 at 1:48 PM

He should be given a chance to prove himself at the club, he has only started 4 games for Nufc and that is not much. Llambias said that he was bought for the future so i can´t see why they would sell him in the summer.

• Pons Aelius

Feb 27, 2009 at 1:53 PM

Ok, enough about Xisco.

😀 😀 😀

Only Kidding, I think Ed’s had enough stick for one day haha!

• workyticket

Feb 27, 2009 at 2:33 PM

Pons Aelius // Feb 27, 2009 at 1:53 PM

“Ok, enough about Xisco.

Why does Ed keep saying the club may sell Enrique, our only first team left back?”

Maybe Ed just hates Spaniards?

• Tom_Toon

Feb 27, 2009 at 3:10 PM

As said, Llambias said he is ‘one for the future’ therefore he wont be solds. Ed it seems you just want him to go like Enrique. Lets hope he proves you wrong like Enrique did.

As for your Andy Carroll love, I dont understand it! Ameobi is better than him. Andy Carroll is agonisingly slow and has no football brain.

• Shanghaitoon

Feb 27, 2009 at 3:29 PM

Have to agree with the majority of posts on here. Why should we sell him, he’s hardly has a chance to show what he can do has he? If we keep him and he settles and starts to play then he could well be worth what we paid or more. He’s only 22, give him a chance!!!

Really don’t like the misleading heading on this post!! Sorry Ed!

• Ed Harrison

Feb 27, 2009 at 3:31 PM

I would be happy if Xisco proved me wrong – very happy – I am not invested in being right – it’s just what I think – with so many strikers we have. Enrique has come on great – and he’s a keeper for sure – so if Xisco proves me wrong – good for him!
    I think some of you overestimate the views on the blog – it’s just my own opinion – and maybe I will put a little note at the bottom saying that. My wife will tell you I’m not always right. 😀
    Let’s lighten up a bit lads – it’s only an opinion – and again I hope the lad comes through for us.

• Shanghaitoon

Feb 27, 2009 at 3:39 PM

Fair do’s Ed – We’re all allowed to have one!! 🙂

Still think the blog is great!!

• Tom_Toon

Feb 27, 2009 at 3:44 PM

Ed – I think most people getting annoyed with the ‘we think’ rather than ‘I think’ or ‘in my opinion I think he may be sold’. If you worte like this I also think the discussions may stay more on topic. Just a thought.