Oba Martins – My Newcastle Season Starts Tomorrow

Oba Martins is very likely to start tomorrow, and be lining up alongside either Shola Ameobi or Mark Viduka.

oba-martins-goal-against-bolton1

Oba Martins – scoring that fantastic goal against Bolton

The 24-year-old has been out of action since December when he sustained a groin injury against Portsmouth, when he scored Newcastle’s second goal in the second half, of that 3-0 win for the Magpies.

The powerful striker came on as a substitute during the second half after 59 minutes, in the goalless draw against Everton, at St. James’ Park, and looked more than decent.

Oba is very likely to start the game tomorrow, as he came through the Everton game with no ill effects, and Newcastle need his goal prowess for the vital pointer tomorrow.

In the same fixture last year Oba scored twice, in a game that Newcastle won 3-1, and which was Sam Allardyce’s first game in charge at Newcastle.

Oba has always been a favorite on Tyneside, because of his hard work and enthusiasm, not to mention some of the great goals he’s scored for the Magpies, since he was signed for £10M from Inter Milan in the summer of 2006 by then manager Glenn Roeder.

Speaking to The Daily Mirror, Martins said today:

“I can’t wait to get back in because I’ve been out for a long time. I feel better now and my season starts here.”

“I hope that nothing more will happen to me or the rest of the players with injuries.”

“The support of the Newcastle crowd towards me really means a lot to me. I’m going to give my very best. They really love me and I really love them too.”

“I think it’s a very important game for us to win. We have a tough run coming up at home.”

“Last season I scored against Bolton and it was one of my favorite goals. It was one of those goals you never forget. ”

A repeat would be rather nice.”

That’s exactly what we’d love to see from Oba, another goal or two tomorrow. Of course the famous goal he scored at the Reebok last season, was when he kicked the ball with a bicycle kick over his head into the goal, and it’s often shown in lead-ins to Premier League programs.

The picture shown above captures it.

Yes – it was quite a goal, and almost as good as the one he scored against Tottenham, at White Hart Lane, when he hit that unbelievable missile from 35 yards out, that was clocked at 84 mph, as it flashed past Paul Robinson into the top corner of the net.  😀

Just a couple of reasons the Newcastle fans love Oba.

• Toon_Ksk (Huh? u mean David Craig is real?)

Feb 28, 2009 at 3:48 PM

Good to have him back. Increases the chance of us winning.

• nufc_houlty

Feb 28, 2009 at 4:01 PM

please do not partner ameobi is is sh*te

• Wigaz

Feb 28, 2009 at 4:08 PM

Hope he scores tomorrow. It’s great to have him back! I would like to see him upfront with Bent next season i think they would be as good as yorke & Cole were for Man U not to disimilar in style either. Owen is clearly off no point in any of us thinking otherwise. We should have bought Bent in the Jan window but Viduka smith & Shola will do a job till end of the season. My team for next season: Realistic targets.

GK: Harper/Krul
    RB: Beye/RTaylor
    CB: Bassong
    CB: McManus
    LB: Jose/Bale
    RW: Jonas/RTaylor/McGeady
    CM: Nolan/Barton
    CM: Riquelme
    LW: Duff/Loven
    ST: Bent
    ST: Oba

Do for me. Could get us to europe.

• Johno Toon

Feb 28, 2009 at 4:19 PM

Dunno about McManus and i think mcgeady would be very expensive and not worth the price we would have to pay for him tho he is a good little winger, but yeah bent could do a great job for us and with harry , by the looks of it , not very keen on him we might get a bit of value there

• Boro 2-0 up against Liverpool. Bad time for them to start playing well with us playing the top 4 in the coming weeks.

• Johno Toon

Feb 28, 2009 at 5:31 PM

that is a bad result for us

• OHurley

Feb 28, 2009 at 5:35 PM

how is boro beating liverpool? that’s simply ridiculous…

• Obafan

Feb 28, 2009 at 5:46 PM

We need him and I hope he gets a renewed contract, cause he is one of the players we need to stay to build a good team.

My team would be:

Harper (as good as Given)
    R. Taylor – Colo – Bassong – Enrique
    Gutierrez – Butt (rather not but no option) – Duff – Loven
    Martins – Viduka

• Alex

Feb 28, 2009 at 6:30 PM

which ever 11 start tomorrow , as long as Ameobi is not playing i am confident we will win . i don’t think we will start with Viduka , i doubt he could play the full 90 minutes and would be better coming off the bench my 11 for the kick off
    —————-Harper
    S Taylor—Colo–Bassong—-Enrique
    ————–Butt–R Taylor————-
    Duff——————————–Jonas
    ——————-Smith——————
    ——————–Oba———————-
    Subs/Krul , Cacapa , Geremi , Viduka , Carroll , Lovenkrands , Lualua

• coyote

Feb 28, 2009 at 8:30 PM

if they start with bambi it’ll cost us the game and with the smoggies beating the scouser we need to win at bolton

• Tom_Toon

Mar 1, 2009 at 12:58 AM

McManus is horrible, McGeady vastly overrated and Bent is a passenger, he cant do anything but finish.

My first 11 wouln’t have mnay changes to a fully fit squad that we have now, except Dezko partnering Martins upfront, Beerens on the right wing and another centre mid, more attack minded. Then we should buy a another CM, ST and LB as squad fillers and possibly another first choice CB.

• xfer

Mar 1, 2009 at 1:58 AM

“We need Oba to win, i saw a stat a few weeks back, we have only won 3 of the 26 games Oba hasn’t played in.” Pathetic fact to know =/