Oba Martins Hopes To Get The Goals To Save Newcastle

It may take Oba Martins a little time to regain his sharpness in front of goal, that was missing in the first half yesterday, when he had a couple of chances but couldn’t put either of them away.

oba-martins-124

Oba Martins – vows to get some goals – soon

Oba Martins had made just one substitute appearance before being thrust back into the team – and with Michael Owen still missing through injury, the team needed some proven goalscorers in their ranks.

But Oba will take a little time to get back to his full sharpness, as he told the Shields Gazette today:

“I tried as hard as I possibly could to score, but it’s a little bit difficult when you come back,”

“I had a chance, but I missed it. I just have to continue to play my football.”

“The ball was a little bit slow for the second header, so I tried to jump and head it, but unfortunately I missed it.”

“For me, we didn’t play well at all. It’s not good at all, because we have to put maximum effort into our football.”

But Martins still seems confident he will add to his six goals over the coming weeks, as he recovers his fitness and sharpness and he went on:

“It’s been a long, long time, but I think I’m over my injury now.

“I’m happy I’m back with the team, and I hope to score a lot of goals before the end of the season.”

Unfortunately the truth is we need Oba in his top goalscoring form now, and when Michael Owen returns after the Manchester United game, we’ll need him in top form too.

The defeat yesterday was a rather sobering reminder to Newcastle fans, that we could well be relegated this season, as unlikely as that may seem.

• DanToon

Mar 2, 2009 at 1:09 PM

NEWS – I have an update on the kit for next season, it will be made by Lonsdale and we are going to be sponsored by bet365.com – I’ve just been to a conference and JJB reps were their and when I asked one of them told me without hesitation! That strip is going to be horrible!

• Kash

Mar 2, 2009 at 1:10 PM

All fine and well, but who’s gonna provide the assists?

No one in the midfield, apart from Geremi when he came on was looking to pass the ball about and retain possession!

• Kash

Mar 2, 2009 at 1:11 PM

I remember your last posting DanToon. Not bothered to be honest, as long as we stay up!

• Ben_BKK

Mar 2, 2009 at 1:18 PM

Bloody hell DanToon, that sounds horrible 🙁

We’ll be Chavs in the Championship…

• DanToon

Mar 2, 2009 at 1:18 PM

Kash – I hear what your saying mate, but i wont be buying it! I refuse to wear anything Lonsdale, chav gear!

• DanToon

Mar 2, 2009 at 1:19 PM

Ben_BKK – agreed.

• bennytoon

Mar 2, 2009 at 1:19 PM

i very much doubt a sponsor will have commited to sponsoring you next season whilst it is unclear what division you will be in.

• DanToon

Mar 2, 2009 at 1:22 PM

bennytoon – what do you know, you dont even have a job… Bum!

• bennytoon

Mar 2, 2009 at 1:29 PM

dantoon- well its obvious you are a liar. bet365 wouldnt commit to spending millions when you could be relegated. Thats common sense.

• roscoe

Mar 2, 2009 at 1:44 PM

Benny toon – will be a shame when you get relegated as i enjoyed going to newcastle.

You guys haven’t beaten us home or away for like 3 years!! WTF are u talking bout… hahahahaha u f#$&ing MORON!

• AshSays

Mar 2, 2009 at 1:45 PM

I think Chris and co will field a very defensive team on Wednesday to avoid been humiliated. I am generally very optimistic but there is no chance of even getting a draw on Wednesday.

• Toon_Ksk (Huh? u mean David Craig is real?)

Mar 2, 2009 at 1:46 PM

bennytoon, you are retarded and you are trying to talk sense? That doesn’t make sense.

• RyanToon

Mar 2, 2009 at 1:51 PM

who cares about the make of the shirt as long as its got the newcastle badge on it ill wear it

• Ross

Mar 2, 2009 at 1:54 PM

who cares about the make? There’s a massive difference between Adidas, and Lonsdale mate!
    Ashley owns Lonsdale im pretty sure?

• LoonyToon @ graft

Mar 2, 2009 at 2:13 PM

Ross…yes he does own Lonsdale….

makes very good business sense from his point of view….and guess wot…extra money in the coffers to spend on players seen as the though the wonderful former chairman decided it would be hunky dory to spend 3 years worth of sponsorship money, taking a massive risk, on one player….

• sahota

Mar 2, 2009 at 3:10 PM

hey guys, why you are wasting your energy on BennyToon. Just let him be alone here. The more you will react to what he says, the more he will enjoy. Thats his motive, so upset people here on this blog. Let his soul rest in peace, just ignore him.

• Rodzilla

Mar 2, 2009 at 3:49 PM

Bet365? I give them enough money as it is. And Lonsdale for Charvas? …as if Adidas isn’t!

…doesn’t make any difference to me anyway. As RyanToon said…

• TORONTOON

Mar 2, 2009 at 5:19 PM

play this

______harper_______
    s.tay–colo–bassong–enrique
    r.tay——–smith——–jonas
    duff——-viduka——martins

and when smith gets sent off, pull off duff and throw geremi on as a holding DM for a 432

• workyticket

Mar 2, 2009 at 5:42 PM

DanToon // Mar 2, 2009 at 1:09 PM

I posted something about a rumour I had heard about this a while ago and now this is the confirmation. Sounds like a Championship team’s kit to me!”

DanToon, we will be playing in Adidas next year, as our sponsorship deal DOESN’T run out until 2010. Why are you making stuff up about conferences, JJB reps and Bet365?

• workyticket

Mar 2, 2009 at 6:05 PM

DanToon, if you want to lie to everyone on this board in future, try covering your arse a little better next time! 😉

• DanToon

Mar 2, 2009 at 6:10 PM

workyticket – Stop guessing mate. I told you a while ago Newcastle & adidas have an option to extent the contract from 2009 to 2014, but are not taking it up coz Ashley can take 100% profit from shirt sales with Lonsdale as of next season.

Pisses me off when I’m just telling you sumat I have been informed about to keep you in the know and your jumping down my throat calling me a liar when you don’t even know the facts!

• DanToon

Mar 2, 2009 at 6:11 PM

workyticket – lolol, you know fcuk all…

• DanToon

Mar 2, 2009 at 6:29 PM

Oooohhh, it’s all gone quiet over there!

• workyticket

Mar 2, 2009 at 8:38 PM

DanToon // Mar 2, 2009 at 6:11 PM

“workyticket – lolol, you know fcuk all…”

Adidas extended until 2010 in 2003 DanToon. When you’ve been caught out, at least admit it.

• Tom_Toon

Mar 3, 2009 at 1:29 AM

Lonsdale, :l **** off, rather have ****ing Diadora or some sh**e on it. Not bothered about bet365, but I’m pretty sure I heard Northern Rock will be our sponsor for a while yet.

As for the article, lets hope so Oba, we have a enough scope to stay up (winnable games) and lets hope we do.

• workyticket

Mar 3, 2009 at 10:53 AM

Tom_Toon, DanToon was making it all up. It’s Adidas and Northern Rock again next year.