Nicky Butt Definitely Misses Red Devils Game

Nicky Butt will definitely miss out on Wednesday’s game against his former club, after suffering a knee injury during the 1-0 defeat at Bolton on Sunday.

chris-hughton-460

Chris Hughton – who to make new stand-in captain

That means the Newcastle club have central midfielders Butt, Guthrie, Barton and Gonzalez all out injured, and Kevin Nolan suspended for another 2 games. That’s 5 central midfield players not available for tomorrow night’s game.   🙁

The 34-year-old limped out of the game in the second half on Sunday, and it seems the club are still awaiting news on the full extent of the injury, but the stand-in captain will definitely miss the important game tomorrow night.

And coach Chris Hughton told nufcTV:

“We’re still awaiting the results to determine the full extent of Nicky’s injury, but he won’t be available against Man United.”

“That’s a blow for us given we are without Danny Guthrie, Kevin Nolan and Joey Barton in that area.”  “But hopefully Nicky won’t be missing for too long.”

“We’ve got options.” “Geremi came in on Sunday and did well and we also have Alan Smith who is back in the frame.”

“But we’ll make a decision nearer the game.”

We’ll need another captain tomorrow night, and with Kevin Nolan not playing, it will be a toss up as to who gets the armband for such an important game for the club.

Hughton talked about who will get the armband:

“We’ll be telling the players first, but there are a few candidates.”

Things are starting to look just a little bit ominous for us tomorrow night.

• RyanToon

Mar 3, 2009 at 11:14 AM

FFS, geremi better not play tommorow!!!!!!!! butt is poor but geremi is AWFUL

• Toon Graeme

Mar 3, 2009 at 11:14 AM

Well any thought on the armband? Probably be harper or taylor (S).

• RyanToon

Mar 3, 2009 at 11:18 AM

my captain for tommorow. BASSONG OR HARPS

• RyanToon

Mar 3, 2009 at 11:20 AM

my team

harper

s.taylor coloccini bassong enrique

r.taylor smith duff jonas

martins viduka

• Ericles

Mar 3, 2009 at 11:20 AM

Give the armband to Harper. I think we need a local lad with the presence he has to command from the back. Put Ranger, Lua Lua etc on the bench!!!! Will Owen be watching from an executive box?

• Ericles

Mar 3, 2009 at 11:24 AM

My team would be Harper, S Taylor, Coloccini, Bassong, Enrique, Jonas, R. Taylor, Lovenkrands, Duff, Martins, Ameobi. OK, I can hear the laughs already. On the bench I would include Ranger, LuaLua, Krul, Godsmark, etc etc.

• dougnufc

Mar 3, 2009 at 11:25 AM

anyone here completed hotel626? its a freaking scary game

• faustino

Mar 3, 2009 at 11:28 AM

Every photo you see of Chris Hughton speaks a thousand words. The man is way out of his depth yet we expect him even in some small way to inspire a team way out of form and on the slide to get a result, win or draw, against the best team in the world.

We need someone with clout in that dressing room by the end of the week or we’re down. Pure and simple. Joe’s not back at the club for three months. He won’t get insurance to work until then. We could easily be down by then. The science is simple.

• Matt

Mar 3, 2009 at 11:38 AM

Put Geremi in the middle. He can still do a good job there. It’s not like Butt’s been lighting up our midfield at all this season. He can’t pass and his tackling is getting worse. Butt’s also cost us something like 3 or 4 penalties this season.

• LoonyToon @ graft

Mar 3, 2009 at 11:44 AM

We must play 4-3-3 on Wed night….

Flood the midfield, get in there faces and make life difficult…

If we dont and people like Carrick start popping passes here there and everywhere we will be in trouble….

• tommy_trouble

Mar 3, 2009 at 12:10 PM

I reckon give Jonas captaincy… he’s the only one who looked remotely up for it on sunday and has the capacity to make something happen, not that who’s captain is going to make much difference.

I love stevie t but he’s too prone to getting overexcited (hand pass while on the floor on sunday).

Just pray we don’t start with ameobi again, do the coaching staff actually watch him play? I’m no expert but he’s always been useless, especially this year.

Where’s the incredible youth we’ve been signing? surely there’s someone an come into the team from the bairns to shake things up a bit or play in positions we’re struggling in, funny howmany succesful teams have been doing that…

• magforlife

Mar 3, 2009 at 12:22 PM

Butt will not be missed as his lack of pace would be cruelly exposed tomorrow night, he is no better than Smith and is well past his sell by date.

• Macas35

Mar 3, 2009 at 12:49 PM

Butt won’t be missed? He was our only fully fit central midfielder who has been playing regularly! He’s not perfect but far better than most fans make out on here

• Spitfire

Mar 3, 2009 at 12:54 PM

Macas35

You are probably right -but as someone else pointed out he has cost us about three penalties and about 9 points this season and he doesn’t seem to like playing against his old team

• Macas35

Mar 3, 2009 at 12:59 PM

Spitfire – Nolan has cost us points already by getting stupidly sent off but I dont see him getting slaughtered by the fans. Butt’s job is to tackle, he’s not always going to get it right. I just feel he’s one of those players who will always get stick regardless of how he plays. A bit like Taylor. While I’m not the lad’s biggest fan he even gets blamed for Coloccini’s mistakes!

• Spitfire

Mar 3, 2009 at 1:02 PM

macas- yes I suppose I agree with you ( Nolan will get slaughtered by the fans one day though)

• Spitfire

Mar 3, 2009 at 1:04 PM

Macas – we are just fed up with having – and having to watch -second rate players. It started with Souness and has continued to pick up speed ever since.

• Macas35

Mar 3, 2009 at 1:07 PM

Spitfire – I cant argue with you there, they may look better next season though in the Championship.

• Spitfire

Mar 3, 2009 at 1:10 PM

Macas – I think I’m too worn out now to go through the Championship journey again. I will almost certainly not renew my season ticket next season whatever happens. I think I might be starting to get interested in Rugby !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Macas35

Mar 3, 2009 at 1:23 PM

Spitfire – I think I’m just too numb to care anymore, I cant remember the last season I really enjoyed it was so far back. Even the football under the last season with Sir Bobby wasn’t that great. The atmosphere just isn’t as good with all seater stadiums as well, but I better shut up now before I depress myself even further.

• Whumpie

Mar 3, 2009 at 1:52 PM

RyanToon – I totally agree with your starting 11, although Geremi’s experience and solidity as a defensive midfielder could be valuable.

Hate to say it, but for captain you need a well-liked, experienced battler stood in the middle who shouts a lot and is listened to.

Alan Smith, then.

• Johno Toon

Mar 3, 2009 at 2:39 PM

Im ashamed to admit i think we are going to get beat and beat bad, think we need to do damage limitation from the start and that depresses me so much.

But lets try be positive, still have no doubt we will stay up and i really feel we are buliding here from the back up, we have the best defense we have had in years and slowly getting a midfield together. It will take time but we will get there

• geordie.In.Taipei

Mar 3, 2009 at 3:07 PM

i think you guys are watching a totally different defence to the one im seeing. Cos from what i can see , they a pile of shite ! Maybe i could say that as individuals they can have their moments – wel Bassong does…but collectively they are hap hazard at best and seriously amateur at worst ! With our run ins for the next few games…and some lower clubs gathering form…we may want to consider some form of SOS…there are those of you who sound like Copral Jones from Dads Army shouting dont panic dont panic – but maybe you may want to get the valiums on stand by !!!!!!

• Tom_Toon