Newcastle Now Fully Immersed In Relegation Quagmire

Chris Hughton was understandably a little unhappy that his side got absolutely nothing out of the game last night, in which they played well and showed lots of spirit, but to no avail.

chris-hughton-colin-calderwood

Chris Hughton with Colin Calderwood

This of course is the business end of the season, and the truth is that Newcastle are getting very little business transacted.

Hughton, though, couldn’t find too much consolation in last night’s performance, because these days the result is all important, and in the cool light of day, it was yet another home defeat:

“We’re more disappointed because we were able to put in the performance we did but the end result is we’ve got no points for it,”

“We’re at a stage of the season now where we need to put points on the board.”

“I think anybody watching the game would agree we deserved to get something from the game. So it was an opportunity to get points, and we haven’t been able to.

“It leaves us in a fight at the wrong end of the table, a fight that’s going to take us through to the last weeks of the season. If we put on that kind of performance in the last 10 games, I think we’ll stay up.”

Last night’s defeat and Hull City’s 1-0 win at Fulham only serves to increase the importance of our next game, which is at Hull on 14th March.

The Tigers have beaten the Magpies twice at St. James’ Park this season and drew 0-0 at Hull in the FA Cup 3rd round.  So we’ve yet to beat this side this season in 3 tries, so maybe it will be 4th time lucky.

And with that win last night, Hull are 4 points clear of Newcastle, so even if we win our next game we’ll not leap-frog them in the league.

Chris continued:

“It’s a massive game for us because although we put in a good enough performance we got no points from it,” “So it’s vital we pick up something next week.”

Who would have thought at the season start, that we’d be in this position where we need to beat Hull City away, to get within one point of them in the league table?

It’s a very sobering thought for Newcastle fans, but once you’re down there in the relegation quagmire, it’s amazing how even the sides look like in these games, even though we have spent a fortune on some of our players, and Hull haven’t.

• sirjasontoon

Mar 5, 2009 at 10:30 AM

Maybe we can get Quagmire off family guy to manage us for 10 games…might be more effective than Houghton.

• Ericles

Mar 5, 2009 at 10:34 AM

We are in a relegation fight it is true. However, if the lads can put in a performance like they did against Manure last night, we have every chance of getting some points and stay up. Nest step? Beat the bogey and tame the Tigers. As for Ronaldo last night – I would shove the cold end of a red hot poker up his arse so he burns his hand when he pulls it out. Well done last night lads.

• Weezertron

Mar 5, 2009 at 10:46 AM

Giggity giggity.

• Stardust

Mar 5, 2009 at 10:46 AM

Smith and Geremi played v well considering last night, Jonas, Harper, and Martins deserve a special mention. Jonas my MOTM – every player gave his all – thought S Taylor did OK considering they switched Ronaldo to him (probably as they think he is our weakness).

Nice problem of selection for the Hull game – I’d be tempted to play the same 11 and advocate they keep their places if they keep the performance at the same level.

• Toon Graeme

Mar 5, 2009 at 10:48 AM

Stardust – good call on Hull line up.

• RyanToon

Mar 5, 2009 at 10:50 AM

if we go down. what you think the attendances will be??? 35,000???

• RyanToon

Mar 5, 2009 at 10:54 AM

guess we’ll never know 😉

• shearerbliss

Mar 5, 2009 at 11:00 AM

We wont go down! Best squad in the bottom 6

• bobby_ollox

Mar 5, 2009 at 11:02 AM

No we wont go down, but we need another couple of wins very quickly.

• Play like that against Hull next week and we have a excellent chance of taking all 3 points. The games at home to Boro, Pompey, Fulham and the game away to Stoke will decide our season.

• neil

Mar 5, 2009 at 11:14 AM

I worry with CH at the helm. I worry about JFK but more so with CH. I don’t think he could inspire me to put on a winning lottery ticket!!! We did play well last night but it shouldn’t take the visit of Man Utd to play like that. If we’d played like that against Bolton and a load of other teams this season (Especially at home) then we wouldn’t be talking about being in this huge mess. My dad reckons Vidic should’ve been sent off for his tackle on Martins. Not because he was last man but because of what a bad challenge it was – Can anyone confirm this as nature called when this happened!!?

• Kash

Mar 5, 2009 at 11:14 AM

Hughton is still SH1T though!!!!!!

• Toon Graeme

Mar 5, 2009 at 11:16 AM

Neil, Vidic swiped and took out Oba’s legs and the ball was well gone – defo denied a goal scoring oportunity.

• neil

Mar 5, 2009 at 11:19 AM

Sending off do you reckon then Toon Graeme?

• THE MAGPIE

Mar 5, 2009 at 11:21 AM

The point is we dont play like that every game-if we did we wouldnt be where we are. If we had played like that against Bolton we might have got something from the game. Its no good playing crap against Hull and then trying to make up for it against Arsenal/Chelsea.

• neil

Mar 5, 2009 at 11:24 AM

My point exactly magpie

• bowburnmag

Mar 5, 2009 at 11:25 AM

I don’t think Vidic should have been sent off. The angle was too tight because moving away from goal slightly and there was another defender behind him so it wasn’t a clear goalscoring opportunity in my eyes. That’s what I saw from the highlights anyway. It was a horribly professional foul though. Never seen anything as blatant for ages. Then I saw Lucas Neill try to take someone’s foot off and Cattermole try to chop Scotty Parker in half. They took the biscuit.

• bowburnmag

Mar 5, 2009 at 11:26 AM

Obviously not on our highlights though. That wouldn’t make sense.

• Nick 69

Mar 5, 2009 at 11:27 AM

the magpie- that was my point exactly last nite mate.everyone keeps banging on about our performance last nite and how if we do it against other teams we’ll be fine, but the fact is we dont do it against other teams cos if we did we’d be in the top half, people keep saying if we can get the players fired up for hull we’ll beat them, we’veplayed hull 3 times so far this season and not once have we managed to get fired up for it and beat them with 2 losses and a draw, we totally lack inspiration from the management IMO and that is something that needs to be rectified now if we are to stay up

• neil

Mar 5, 2009 at 11:28 AM

Bowburnmag – Dad said he was really peed off when he watched highlights on MoTD because they went on and on about the Nolan tackle against Everton but this one hardly got a mention and it was as dirty as Nolan’s. He also said that Shearer kept saying what a mistake Steven Taylor made for the 2nd goal which got him even more annoyed!!!! LOL

• Nick 69

Mar 5, 2009 at 11:29 AM

bowburmag- a professional foul is supposed to recieve a red card wether it was a goalscoring opportunity or not

• hitman

Mar 5, 2009 at 11:33 AM

And now, the end is near;
    And so I face the final curtain.
    ashley did it his way.

• bowburnmag

Mar 5, 2009 at 11:35 AM

Nick 69 – didn’t the term change? Perhaps I should say ‘horribly deliberate and well executed’?

• Kash

Mar 5, 2009 at 11:35 AM

HUGHTON OUT!!! HUGHTON OUT!!! HUGHTON OUT!!! HUGHTON OUT!!! HUGHTON OUT!!! HUGHTON OUT!!! HUGHTON OUT!!! HUGHTON OUT!!! HUGHTON OUT!!! HUGHTON OUT!!!

• hitman

Mar 5, 2009 at 11:40 AM

NEW MANAGER NOW,MIKE ASHLEY GET OFF YOUR FAT ARSE AND GET THIS MESS SORTED OUT.

• Whumpie

Mar 5, 2009 at 11:41 AM

I think we’ll take Hull apart, I really do. It shouldn’t take ManU to get our player playing, but I think they may suddenly have realised that their value – and wages – also go down if we get rellied.

Sad that it takes that, but that’s footballers for you.

I haven’t watched the highlights yet (waiting for them to be put on NUFC TV) but I must admit that if yesterday morning you’d offered me no points but a really good performance and only -1 added to our goal difference, I’d have bitten your hand off.

I, and many other terminal pessimists from yesterday were proved joyfully wrong, and I’m actually a lot more optimistic about our status next season than I was 24 hours ago.

• bowburnmag

Mar 5, 2009 at 11:44 AM

Nick 69 – got me thinking now. Remember the Bob Lee incident against the Mancs? I used to really admire Solksjaer and then I thought my eyes would bleed at the injustice when he chopped Robbie Lee down to deny what would surely have been a certain goal and another famous win against the Mancs. I hated him for ages after that.

• Whumpie

Mar 5, 2009 at 11:45 AM

Wow. What a fun, positive and supportive bunch. Not.

Hughton proves a load of people wrong by taking on the biggest game of his life and coming within a whisker of containing the best team on the planet – against all the odds.

And what do you do? Call for his head.

Kash – your answer to everything is to sack everyone. Go lend your “support” to another team, please.

• Macas35

Mar 5, 2009 at 11:56 AM

Whumpie – I agree, the guy need to be cut a little slack. We put in a good performance and only a daft mistake cost us a point against the league leaders but still people get on his back. He’s had problems selection wise with who he can pick so it’s no wonder results have been poor. He had the right philosophy last night in wanting to attack them instead of just sitting back and being picked off, and selected two pacy forwards to make the most of the space we would get. Hopefully players coming back will help matters futher.

• Stardust

Mar 5, 2009 at 11:58 AM

Personally re Vidic I thought it was a cynical and professional foul as you could get. Ferdinand was behind but Oba would have got a shot off before he was closed down but I can accept the ref might have given more weight to it than I did. However when the ball had got past Vidic what you can say with 100% certainty he made no attempt to play the ball – he played the man – I would argue it was violent conduct and a straight red.

Likewise Rooney whacked Colo accross the face with an elbow, second halk Vidic jumped into two consecutive headers with his elbow and arm raised into the player – again a booking nowadays.

Taylor also could have gone for the Ronaldo whack (even though I loved it)

Overall Man U got away with it again.

• Whumpie

Mar 5, 2009 at 12:08 PM

The Taylor-Ronaldiver thing cracks me up. First, Big Steve does what he does best and sends the little turd flying into the hoardings.

Then, those harsh, harsh words in the tunnel. I don’t know if their analysts will be able to get them over the deep emotional damage of being called a ‘bad footballer’ and ‘ugly’.

Children these days, eh?

I said yesterday that the prem should have a whip-round to pay Taylor to hobble that little tit. Sounds like he had a good go at it for free. Goon on yer, Tayls!

• Whumpie

Mar 5, 2009 at 12:08 PM

Er.. that should’ve been ‘good on yer’. Erp.

• Ericles

Mar 5, 2009 at 12:21 PM

I still think a bloodied Vidic was allowed to stay on the pitch too long considering he was actually bleeding. Once again a delay so that Manure do not have to spend too long with 10 men. Too many refs want to be the hero for the Manure fans!

• Kash

Mar 5, 2009 at 12:34 PM

Whumpie – I have consistently called for new management, and I have not strayed from that!

So why don’t you keep your suggestions on what I should do to yourself, you TW@T!

• NorthernPaul

Mar 5, 2009 at 12:45 PM

We don’t do well against the lesser teams.

Therefore we will be relegated.

We need a miracle.

• Newckie

Mar 5, 2009 at 1:55 PM

Kash! Wind your neck in son and cut the abuse out!

The team needs our support more than ever.
    That is the meaning of the word”supporter”

We don’t need repetitive nonsense in caps either thanks.

I expected a right flogging so I am pleased for the lads efforts against the worlds best. May we keep that fighting spirit going!

Howay The Lads!!