Kevin Keegan Responsible For Bassong Signing

Sebastien Bassong has been a great success at Newcastle this season, and it was Kevin Keegan who wanted to have the lad at Newcastle for a week’s trial in August, which seemed a good idea at the time, even though Everton had been keen on the player.

sebastian-bassong-newcastle_1172159

Sebastien Bassong – a rock in Newcastle’s defense this season

Of course the 22 year old Metz player performed very well in his trial and in the game at Doncaster Rovers on July 26th, and was signed for just £500K by Newcastle, which could turn out to be one of Newcastle’s best ever signings.

Sebastien talked about how he was signed this morning to the local Newcastle Journal:

“Personally it has been a good season for me, but if my team goes down there is no way I can say it has been a good season,”

“I will give it everything to keep Newcastle United in the Premiership. I think we deserve to stay up. It’s a big club with some great players, but we have been hurt very badly by injuries.”

“When I arrived Kevin Keegan warned me it could be a long time until I played in the first team, or it could be very quick. It came very quickly because I took my chance when it came.”

“I came to Newcastle because my agent knew Kevin Keegan and my agent told him he had me and that I was a good player at Metz.”

“Kevin Keegan had seen me play one or two times for France Under-21s and he asked my agent if I could come for a trial to see how I was with my teammates and how I felt about living in England.”

“After the trial, Kevin Keegan was happy, the staff were happy, so I signed. It was a big thrill for me when someone of Kevin Keegan’s stature wanted to sign me.”

“I was sad when he went, but even though I’m young I have experienced this sort of thing before.”

So it seems it was Kevin rather than Dennis Wise who was primarily responsible for bringing the young Frenchman to the club.

And even Kevin can be wrong at times, in that it didn’t take the youngster a long time to make the first team, although it’s good man management that Kevin was straight with the youngster, from the start.

But once he arrived Bassong’s interviews were always so positive, and he kept saying he would challenge in the team and would play anywhere.

His appearances were solid, even when he got in at left-back, and then when he was finally brought into the center of defense, when Steven Taylor was injured, he was phenomenal at Chelsea, and we use our words advisedly.

In fact he played a full game for Keegan in the Coventry game in the Carling Cup, and played very well in that game alongside Coloccini.

The boy had a tremendous game at Stamford Bridge, and of course the lads managed a clean sheet in that game, and Sebastien has been a starter ever since and gaining really valuable experience this season.

He’s now appeared in 26 games this season for Newcastle, and started 22 of those games.  Not too bad for a lad who wasn’t  going to play much this season.   😀

• RyanToon

Mar 6, 2009 at 12:00 PM

i knew it!

STARDUST will have to apoligise to most people now 😉

• Toon Graeme

Mar 6, 2009 at 12:05 PM

Ryantoon – you will probably have no chance of getting that apology like!! 🙂

He deserves a better contract and money for the job he has done for us this season.

• richyg01

Mar 6, 2009 at 12:14 PM

We must give him a better contract, Arsenal are already interested in him.

We need to tie this lad down!

Class act Seb, well played!

• Toon Sweden77

Mar 6, 2009 at 12:18 PM

What a great signing! Tie him down to a lifetime contract, more of these signings please.

• Pons Aelius

Mar 6, 2009 at 12:19 PM

Bassong’s already hinted if we go down he’s on his way…

WE BETTER NOT GO DOWN!

🙂

• Macas35

Mar 6, 2009 at 12:29 PM

Another one of the lies emanating from the club – Llambias claimed it was Wise who brought Bassong in. These people have no credibiity whatsoever when they keep making false statements to promote themselves and put others down.

• Stevo

Mar 6, 2009 at 12:41 PM

Excellent player. It is a shame tho, Keegan does have an eye for good prospective players.

Mar 6, 2009 at 12:45 PM

Macas – I thought of that when I read it this morning. HOWEVER

I will say this – the quote given to Llambias was from NUSC’s hideous agenda laiden message.

They have more Agendas than anyone – NUSC WERE shown to be LIARS, in that message they said they only had one banner up advocating change.

It was a lie Macas – I saw the Ashley and Wise Oot banner facing up Blackett Street – ties to the Monument. Therefore if they tell one lie they tell more. I wonder how many more were in their to garner more members.

The club have been backed up with facts from day 1 – they have not tripped over on anything.

Ryan – kneejerking again son? Evidence from credible witnesses should only be accepted – just as in a court of law.

Therefore from all of our sides, lets simply sit on the fence on this one – we cant form a view and get behind the lads.

• komfort

Mar 6, 2009 at 12:55 PM

stardust , evidence from credible witnesses should only be accepted is what i say to the wife , but she still dont believe me

• Macas35

Mar 6, 2009 at 12:57 PM

Stardust – I’m no fan of the NUSC, have never liked them from the start. However, I thought the Llambias statement about Bassong was in an Interview with the Chronicle or Journal? In fact I’m pretty sure it was.

• bozo

Mar 6, 2009 at 1:02 PM

Stardust how much does MA pay you to come on here and talk S***.

• bowburnmag

Mar 6, 2009 at 1:25 PM

Stardust – that is the most outrageous sidestep I’ve seen you make on here!!

So Kevin Keegan was responsible for the only really positive thing about our club at the moment? Am I surprised? Not really.

Mar 6, 2009 at 1:27 PM

Macas – No It was from NUSC, I dont recall ever seeing that in the Chronicle – that was in NUSC’s statement the lead up to saying Xisco was a Keegan Signing.

Mar 6, 2009 at 1:27 PM

Bowburnmag – Bozo

I only state the truth at all times, I have not got an agenda.

BBM – did you read my Ins v Outs on the other thread?

• bozo

Mar 6, 2009 at 1:30 PM

Stardust with statements like that you could be auditioning to be the next chairman.

Mar 6, 2009 at 1:34 PM

Love the sound of that Bozo – Stardust for Chairman lol

Might get me bedsheet out and head off down the ground now – trouble is I wouldnt get a vote off you lot lol

• bowburnmag

Mar 6, 2009 at 1:35 PM

Stardust – I know you have no agenda. You’re just a little crackers! That might have been aimed at bozo though.
    My comment implied you could maybe hold your hands up on the Bassong thing.

Haven’t read it mate. Which thread is it on?

• Girth

Mar 6, 2009 at 1:47 PM

calm down people….
    your telling me Kevin Keegan knows all about reserve team players for Metz?? or any other french club??
    We have a system people and he was probably BROUGHT TO THE ATTENTION OF KEEGAN by Wise or maybe even another scout, and then he liked what he saw. What Bassong is talking about is just what he knows, which was more than likely way down the line after he was first scouted!!!

• komfort

Mar 6, 2009 at 1:52 PM

stardust , i think you are just a wind up merchant and you dont believe half the stuff you post on here , could it be you enjoy the attention all be it 99% stick …sussed

• Stuart79

Mar 6, 2009 at 1:57 PM

Girth

Mar 6, 2009 at 1:58 PM

BBM here it is – apologies folks for repeating but its a quiet day.

I appreciate this is very subjective but I just wanted to analyse what was been said re Ashley not strengthening to reality.

I’ve just compiled a list looking at first teamers in and out under Ashley’s tenure, I have advocated that the squad has improved.

Here I list the players what position they play, marks out of 10 for their average performance and/or potential.

Players in

Jun-07 Joey Barton MID 7
    Jul-08 Jonas Gutierrez MID 8
    Sep-08 Ignacio “Nacho” Gonzalez MID 7
    Jan-09 Kevin Nolan MID 7
    Feb-09 Ryan Taylor MID 7
    Total 122

Player Ave In 7.18 out of 10 per player.

For players going out I have rated them out of 10 AT THE TIME they were sold.

May-07 Olivier Bernard DEF 4
    Aug-07 Nolberto Solano MID 8
    Aug-07 Albert Luque MID 6
    Jul-08 Emre MID 7
    Aug-08 James Milner MID 7
    Feb-09 Charles N’Zogbia MID 7
    Feb-09 Shay Given GOAL 9

Player Ave Out 5.8 out of 10.

From the above virtually every player in when fit is knocking on the door of the first team – though Xisco and Cacapa could be argued.
    Of those out I have 9 as first teamers as Rozenhal and Faye in and out cancel themselves out, so I have estimated we now have 14 first teamers coming in with a higher average rating throughout the whole squad and 9 first teamers out with an average rating of all players out at 5.83.

So the argument about Ashley not strengthening in terms of quality and numbers seems baseless. Therefore it can only be the amount of money spent that people can object to.

Like I always say, I always try and refine rationale and thinking and test my thought process – I have played with these figures in a simple excel table, and I always get s strengthening – therefore it seems as if the fans are backlashing for the previous regimes thinning of quality, as more players have been brought in than out.

No doubt you will disagree lol

• bowburnmag

Mar 6, 2009 at 1:59 PM

Girth – It seems fairly starightforward. Not much need for interpretation or likelihood of misinterpretation. Unless he or his agent is making it up……

• Stuart79

Mar 6, 2009 at 2:00 PM

Girth

I thought Bassong was quoted as saying that his agent knew KK and that’s why he ended up having a trial?

Nothing to do with being spotted by Wise ect…

Whichever we he came about he’s a top player and I fear he will get snapped up by a big club!

Mar 6, 2009 at 2:00 PM

Re the llambias quote it was NUSC – and they like I say are liars with an agenda. So I wont form a view on that score until offically confirmed.

Mar 6, 2009 at 2:03 PM

BBM – again I state fella you holding onto the fact Llambias said he was Wises – I have never seen a direct quote – other than a summary by NUSC.

Many assumed it was Wises as KK had been out of the game so long but I now consider Bassong has made it clear and I accept it.

• bowburnmag

Mar 6, 2009 at 2:06 PM

Stardust – no I’m not conspiring against the regime on this one necessarily. Let’s just say they didn’t lay claim to unearthing Bassong. I’m just suggesting you could say fair play to Keegan. All his detractors gave him grief for not being in touch with the game. Yet ironically here we have evidence (?) that he’s responsible for arguably the best thing to walk through our gates in a number of years. You particularly could give credit because he also cost us next to nowt.

• bowburnmag

Mar 6, 2009 at 2:15 PM

I’d argue that rationale is hard to define in the way you’ve tried to, but fair do’s for giving it a go. Nowt wrong with aligning common sense/logic with a gut feeling, you know I agree on that.

I’d also say some of the ‘Ashley’ figures are grossly inflated. I’d probably end up getting it to even out if I was being fair. Which pretty much tells me what I need to know. We haven’t really gone anywhere. We’ve stayed still essentially. Unfortunately, the injuries have ensured we’ve recently strayed to the dangerous side of average.

Mar 6, 2009 at 2:17 PM

No more than happy – I am not point scoring either – I am just happy we have him.

In law NUSC’s statement is Hearsay and inadmissable. therefore it must be disregarded (not forgot about we simply need to await a fact before commenting)

But in light of that full marks to KK for getting him.

I was only making the point about some folks jumping on Llambias’s back.

Mar 6, 2009 at 2:19 PM

Though you might get even in terms of quality in/out I accept thats subjective, the players who are really first teamers its 14/9 in favour of Ashley – I dont think thats subjective at all – I tried to be as objective as possible – how many do you see as real first teamers in and out from that list as its complete.

• Stuart79

Mar 6, 2009 at 2:24 PM

Stadust

Whatever Llambias says, some people will always have a pop at him. As soon as he sticks his head above the para-pit people will be shooting.

I think even he will admit he has brought that situation on himself.

Obviously you have issues with NUSC and I’m no fan but I’ve read a couple of write ups in regards to the meeting and they have both said that Llambias did have a contemptuous attitude on occasions.

He needs to learn that he ain’t gonna be very popular for a while and just needs to take it and not be so confrontational.

We shouldn’t comment really as none of us were though unfortunatly

• komfort

Mar 6, 2009 at 2:29 PM

babayro 4 bit generous me thinks

Mar 6, 2009 at 2:32 PM

Komfort lol

• Macas35

Mar 6, 2009 at 2:47 PM

Sorry Stardust, but it was quoted directly from Llambias in either the Chronicle or Journal. This was part of the article Ed put up about it at the time:

Llambias today has said both of these buys are good players, and he’s right there, and both were brought in by the much maligned Dennis Wise:

“We’re excited about both players. What a star Bassong has been.”

“That was one of Dennis Wise’s signings, he was our cheapest signing.”

“You have to be brave to put him into the team but he’s matured. Jonás is exciting too.”

• bowburnmag

Mar 6, 2009 at 3:05 PM

Stardust –

Different spin on your rationale. Direct comparison where possible in terms of ability and availability over their relative tenures.

Geremi vs Solano Away Win
    Coloccini vs Ramage Home Win
    Taylor vs Moore Home Win
    Cacapa vs Bramble Match Abandoned
    Xisco vs Luque Postponed
    Gonzalez vs Bernard Postponed
    Lovenkrands vs N’Zogbia Quick Draw

About evens like I thought….

• bowburnmag

Mar 6, 2009 at 3:06 PM

Should have wrapped the outcome in brackets……

• bowburnmag

Mar 6, 2009 at 3:08 PM

And don’t even ask how I got Milner vs Milner. Sounds like a film from the 70s. It should be Smith vs Milner.

Mar 6, 2009 at 3:09 PM

Macas – Well I have hunted it down – an explanation may be needed at the seasons end – I found this on the \journal.

“The Magpies paid less than £500,000 for Bassong, while they are understood to have handed over just under £4m for Gutiérrez. And, having brought them to the club, Llambias is adamant two of Newcastle’s best players this season will be there for years to come.

He said: “We’re excited about both players. What a star Bassong has been. That was one of Dennis Wise’s signings, he was our cheapest signing. You have to be brave to put him into the team but he’s matured. Jonás is exciting too.””

I stand corrected it is in black and white.

• bozo

Mar 6, 2009 at 3:12 PM

Stardust I think it just goes to show we cannot believe a thing the current Chairman and owner say. Sadly I think they are dragging our great club down.

Mar 6, 2009 at 3:15 PM

BBM – thats the worst analogy Ive ever seen !

Talk about subjective! I was talking about numbers and overall quality of the squad aligned to criticism!

• komfort

Mar 6, 2009 at 3:16 PM

stardust , unlike you to stand corrected ah well it is friday afternoon zzzzz