Bassong Likely To Stay On At Newcastle

Sebastien Bassong has talked today about the apparent interest from Arsene Wenger of Arsenal.

sebastian-bassong-newcastle_1172159

Sebastien Bassong – great young player at Newcastle

We don’t even know if Arsene Wenger is interested in Sebastien or not, but it wouldn’t surprise us at all as Arsenal could do with a decent center-back and Sebastien is young – and French, so he ticks all the boxes for Arsene. Sebastien has been phenomenal this season for Newcastle, in his first season in the Premier League.

This is Newcastle’s youth policy in action believe it or not, because we bought Seb for £500K last August and now he’s probably worth at least £10M, after 7 months – not too bad a return, and one fabulous acquisition by the club. There are also other Newcastle youngsters we expect to break through sooner rather than later, and could be worth quite a bundle in a few years.

But most Newcastle fans will not want to see Bassong go to Arsenal or any other club, and it’s up to Newcastle to show the youngster that he can do well at Newcastle, and that the club is serious when they say they’re building for the future.

Even though Newcastle’s finances are under review and being put into some order by the current regime, the club still pays high wages, and if anybody deserved a big increase it’s this lad. And with sokme high wage earners like Viduka, Geremi and Cacapa moving on in the summer, it’s likely the Newcastle wage bill will be relieved significantly, for those who deserve the high wages – like this young lad.

Bassong is already a big fan favorite on Tyneside, so we don’t think the Newcastle hierarchy are daft enough to sell him, although we know many will disagree with that, and cite James Milner as the precedent. 😀

Here’s what Bassong said today to Foot Mercato:

“Newcastle want to make me sign a contract extension, indeed. I’m waiting to see what they’re going to offer me.”

“My agent quickly told me about Arsenal’s interest. But it’s not the moment to speak about it. I must be focused on my football and on the end of the season, we will see what happens then.”

“At the moment I’m 100 percent focused on Newcastle and I don’t see any reason why this would change.”

“But I would lie if I said that Arsenal are not a club I’m interested in. But many things can happen before we can speak about a transfer.”

So you can read what you will into that statement, although most journalists are saying he’s keen on Arsenal. We would point to the fact he’s 100% committed to Newcastle and doesn’t see any reason why that would change.

Seb is a very mature young man, unlike the other 22 year-old Frenchman we unloaded in January, and he seems to be one terrific young professional.

If Newcastle can survive in the Premier League this year (and that’s still an “if” right now), and the club offer him what he’s worth, he’ll be more than happy to stay at Newcastle.

But when Newcastle get a young player as good as Bassong, and playing so well in his very first season, we’d be surprised if big clubs didn’t express an interest in him.

Who wouldn’t want a player of Bassong’s character and skill in their side?  As Newcastle’s youth policy matures, there will be some players we’ll need to sell, because they will not make it at Newcastle.

Look at the number of Arsenal players who started at the London club but are now at other clubs.  Matthew Upson at West Ham and David Bentley at Spurs are  just two examples,  but Bassong is not in that category – that’s for sure.

We’d love to think Seb will stay with Newcastle, and sign a vastly improved long term contract in the summer – but he’s right to say he needs to concentrate on playing until then.

So we think he’ll stay at Newcastle and the club will ensure he’s very happy on Tyneside – just as long as Newcastle can stay in the Premier League.

That’s our thoughts on this – let us know what your thoughts are.

• TOONPIPES

Mar 9, 2009 at 6:12 PM

He is f ucking class and he would be perfect for the wenger bus so .. he might be off … you have to hand it to MA .. he was chairman when this kid was bought and if, like everyone said, KK had no control over transfers .. then MA and whoever else did a f ucking good ….. KK shud have stuck to managing the team instead of trying to get involved in the complexities of modern day transfer – ie, deals arent just done on a nod and a wink from the ‘great’ KK ..

• Tom_Toon

Mar 9, 2009 at 6:21 PM

Those quotes dont fill me with an iota of confidence.

• Daniel Petersen

Mar 9, 2009 at 6:27 PM

Tom_Toon, my thoughts exactly.

• komfort

Mar 9, 2009 at 6:30 PM

ed ,so you think he will stay….and the band played believe it if you like .

• SpartanChris

Mar 9, 2009 at 6:31 PM

TOONPIPES – Bassong said last week that it was because of Keegan’s connection with his agent that he ended up at Newcastle. Nothing to do with Wise etc.

• Hugh de Payen

Mar 9, 2009 at 6:32 PM

He’ll go when we get relegated, as will most of our squad of course.

• RichY

Mar 9, 2009 at 6:32 PM

it doesn’t make sense to sell

he cost 500k and is on low wages.
    if he was sold we would have to replace him and that would cost millions.

• Graeme

Mar 9, 2009 at 6:33 PM

I think the “management” (if we have any) are hedging their bets on Bassong. The contract “offer” is there, but he wont be getting one until we either get relegated or pull clear.

If we go down, MA will cash in on every decent asset he can. Seb wont really be interested in fizzy pop football, he’s a player that can go places so will be off to a club with some clear ambition which hardly described NUFC at the moment!!!

• I really dont think Ashley is stupid enough to sell him. He has learnt from his mistakes and wont do it again. But like Tom_Toon these quotes dont fill me with confidence either.

• Flan

Mar 9, 2009 at 6:45 PM

Anyone remember the last time we read any good news about the club?
    Seems like its been years,

• Tom_Toon

Mar 9, 2009 at 6:46 PM

To be honest I’d rather let him run his contract down for 2 years than sell him, he is that good and important to us.

• brownrob

Mar 9, 2009 at 6:48 PM

if we didnt have seb, i think we would be bottom of the league right now

• Probably after we beat West Brom Flan. Not much good stuff going on round here 🙁

• Flan

Mar 9, 2009 at 6:52 PM

Yeah Milan i’d say its more upbeat on the samaritains site at the mo 🙂

• RyanToon

Mar 9, 2009 at 6:54 PM

bassong just rang me and said hes staying for the next 5 yrs 😉

• sirjasontoon

Mar 9, 2009 at 6:58 PM

sirjasontoon // Mar 7, 2009 at 3:09 PM

Wave goodbye to him..be off to Arsenal end of the season.

• Shot Bru

Mar 9, 2009 at 6:58 PM

Flan it seems as though every radio station, newspaper, pundit, bookie and opposing fan is dying for us to go down. It’s doin my head in trying to justify to my mates and other random punters in the pub why we won’t go down.

• Flan

Mar 9, 2009 at 6:59 PM

Wohooooooo!!! Get In Seb!!!! 🙂

• Flan

Mar 9, 2009 at 7:00 PM

Shot Bru
    Especially the Daily Mail they must have a monster bet on us to go down they fookin hate us

• Doocey

Mar 9, 2009 at 7:10 PM

It’s not a bad comment and least he’s dedicated, hope he won’t be another N’Zogbia. However , can’t see him leaving anytime soon, especially if we stay in the Premier League.

• jamie

Mar 9, 2009 at 7:17 PM

the man is guarenteed games here we gave him his change its up to messers wise lmbabaamas and ashley to convince him, he is important enough to get the full show.

DO NOT LET HIM LEAVE

• Sav

Mar 9, 2009 at 7:26 PM

Ever seen a mackem in Milan?
    You say Ashley has learned from his mistakes. What makes you say that?
    We’ve just left another transfer window with a profit. Llambias, the worst General Manager I have ever heard of is still in a job. Wise is still in a job, although apparently he has decided he’s had enough in the summer. We still have a the only manager in the world who would touch us, although now he’s even sicker (sorry, Joe, but its true). We have a perilous league position and our current form is even worse. Attendances are falling. Our best players (Milner, Zog, Given, Owen, Bassong) either have left or look about to leave. We are locked in a legal wrangle with KK and fans have been threatened that our already paltry summer transfer budget will be diminished by whatever payout he receives in compensation for his mistreatment (well that’s my take on the affair).
    Ok there are 2 positives. First, Ash says he is not selling up now – but as he has had no offers whatsoever, that has to be treated with scepticism, if not contempt. And secondly, Llambias has spoken to the fans/media. Well that is reassuring.
    I’m sorry but I don’t see what you see, mate.

• DJG

Mar 9, 2009 at 7:30 PM

I’d like to know where this £10M quote has come from, Arsenals wallet is collecting cobwebs. sounds like hogwash to me.

Interested Wenger? Well TOUGH SHIT THE BOY’S NOT FOR SALE. hahahaha

I personally think Ashley would be too shit scared to sell him. Because of the backlash it would cause from the fans.

• Toon_Factor

Mar 9, 2009 at 7:31 PM

He has no right to leave next season anyway, if it wasn’t for us he would of been playing in the French second division, and now that he relises how good he is it would be very unfair on us for him to leave. 500k to 10mill in 8 months is good, but I reckon in another 3-4 years he will be worth twice as much ! Now i think its time to start giving Lualua and maybe Kadar a chance in the first team as of next season

• jimnufc

Mar 9, 2009 at 7:32 PM

were dooooomed were dooomed

• DJG

Mar 9, 2009 at 7:42 PM

I think in 2-3 years Bassong will be French no.1 CB and worth £20M.

ATM he still holds a bit and needs experience. But if we are gonna sell him to Arsenal wait till Gallas is finished they are desperate and he is worth £20M.

• Nick 69

Mar 9, 2009 at 7:47 PM

well from his comments i think if arsenal did have a real interest he’d go at the drop of a hat, he is basically lettings them know hes interested but not burning any bridges here at newcastle incase nothing comes of it, and talk of £10m is a bit prematue IMO, yes hes been class, and by far our best player, but a good half season doesnt make you worth £10m IMO and i know for a fact arsene wenger wont see him as worth £10m

• ronaldeano

Mar 9, 2009 at 8:00 PM

If Arsenal came in with a 10 million bid, he would be sold.

That is Mike Ashleys plan, to sell top young-un’s that he purchased on the cheap for stupid money

Sad but true

• valle

Mar 9, 2009 at 8:20 PM

All these comments comming from players that likes this or that club should be dealt with and asap. I think a media policy is in order and Seb has certainly chosen the wrong time to start talking about Arsenal… Zog talked up a move, Oba is doing it from time to time, and now Seb… If we want stability, then this certainly dosnt help and the players need to be made aware of this by the club… Give the players honesty and tell them that any offer the club receives will be discussed with them, but inform them that talking about other clubs in the media will be fined.

• Slam magd

Mar 9, 2009 at 8:25 PM

Bassong is good but worth nowhere near 10 million koz he’s inexperienced and not yet a full international. Ed, u keep on bangin about his imminent call up but if u’ve watched ligue one there are plenty of good CBs knocking on the french door plus If u consider the fact that old boy Distin, a much better player and more experienced, has never played for les blues, then bassong is in for a huge task to get a first call up!

• Bill F

Mar 9, 2009 at 8:27 PM

If Arsenal really wanted him then they would splash the cash, I cite Arshavin as an example.
    We do really need to keep players like him though. If we did go down (and I don’t think we will) then a lot of players would probably be prepared to give us a season before they wanted out. I mean the ones we want rather than the over the hill mob.

• safferman

Mar 9, 2009 at 8:29 PM

does anyone still like modric? looks like he might be headed out of spurs but he hasnt really impressed me that much, arshavin looks much more worth the 17 mill!

• safferman

Mar 9, 2009 at 8:30 PM

was just thinking of players we missed out on and how they doin now

• Tom_Toon

Mar 9, 2009 at 8:34 PM

Slam magd // Mar 9, 2009 at 8:25 PM

————————————————————

ut Gallas, Boumsong and Abidal play for France. Abidal is a truly rubbish player, Boumsong is pretty poor and Gallas is a tenth of the player he was 3 years ago, but then again Domenech is a fool and picks players on their star sign. He plays Abidal above Evra and Clichy, he is a joke of a manager.

• Stardust

Mar 9, 2009 at 8:53 PM

Suppose its down to the club to make him an offer that he cant refuse, Im a bit disappointed if he came out with this now, rather bad timing. But we already know in the Charlie debacle that a load of quotes in France were attributed that hadnt previously been said.

He is already aware he is to get a new offer, lets hope we hear no more till the seasons end. The press love going for us, lets not lap this up – its not important for now.

• Stardust

Mar 9, 2009 at 8:55 PM

TT – can I ask why at the bottom of a lot of blogs you type “-” or “–”

Is it to end the conversation?

• AussieToon

Mar 9, 2009 at 8:59 PM

It’s Mike Ashleys plan for this to happen.

Buy low, sell high, it is his way.

Bassong will be sold to Arsenal, survival or no survival.

We are now a business and not a football club, go figure…….

• Tom_Toon

Mar 9, 2009 at 9:03 PM

I actually do it because when I come on the blog the next day, by doing ‘-‘ on a thread to create an even number of comments or an easily memorable number like 35 or 25 I can remember the last 3 pages of threads and how many comments are on each. Therefore when I come to check replies, I dont have to trawl through and find the place I left it, I can go instantly to comment 35 for example.

• Stardust

Mar 9, 2009 at 9:10 PM

Cool – I just remember the number last time I logged in – tend only to follow the front live page, unless I am involved in banter of the previous day or so.

When I refresh I just note the number change – the last number I saw prior to the last refresh is where i start. By keeping it to the front page I can also rememeber the flow of each blog too.

Same result different way of doing it.

• Rodzilla

Mar 9, 2009 at 9:28 PM

AAAH-HAaaaaaaaaaa…….

I thought similar to yourself Stardust – TT gave me the hyphen treatment on a blog a couple of weeks ago after I made a comment on Darren Bent. I honestly thought it was a sign of disapproval I.E. not worthy of a comment.

Now I see! I did ask on another blog if anyone knew what it meant and someone said “ahh, don’t worry about it Rodzilla, Tom_Toon just does stuff like that” LOL

(I just hit ‘Command F’ and tab until I hit Rodzilla – but I use a Mac)