Taylor Hopes For Better Things At Newcastle

Steven Taylor was born in Greenwich, but his family are Geordies, and he moved back to the North East when he was two weeks old.

steven-taylor-6522

Steven Taylor – family are Geordies

And Newcastle’s plight right now is more than a little upsetting to the player who supported Newcastle as a boy, as he told  The Times:

“I grew up in Churchill playing fields in Whitley Bay, playing football every day.”

“Ours was a black-and-white house. My dad had always gone to the match, just like his dad, and we had season tickets in the Sir John Hall Stand.”

“I was a ballboy, too, and that was the best feeling ever. I never thought at that age that I’d end up playing for this club.”

“Everything led up to Saturday and those feelings are still there, still inside me. I know that for the supporters, their week is guided by our results and that’s a big responsibility.”

“I think it’s when I score goals that it all comes out of me — I celebrate like the fans celebrate. Once I ran the length of the pitch and I regretted doing it, because with two minutes to go, I couldn’t do anything. My legs felt like jelly.”

Steven actually started as a striker and when he played for Cramlington Juniors went to center-back out of necessity when the center-back was injured, and has played there ever since.

That’s probably explains why Steven likes to get upfield and of course goes crazy when he scores a goal – like most strikers.

SDteven talked about the plight of Newcastle United right now:

“Relegation?” “This club belongs in Europe.”  “When this club takes off again, it’s going to be absolutely unbelievable. It’s just a matter of when. It’s just waiting.”

“We need to stay up this season and then concentrate on getting into Europe,”

“This club belongs there. We’ve played in the Champions League. When we were knocked out of Europe a couple of years ago, it killed us a bit because it wasn’t the same.”

“You want to be traveling, having something different to challenge for. It doesn’t feel right without it.”

“The last thing we want is to be watching the television when other English clubs are playing in Europe. Every match hurts like a kick in the teeth.”

“I thought our squad was very small last year, but it’s got even smaller.”

Most local Newcastle fans would be surprised at just how well the Newcastle club is known around the world, since we haven’t done well these last four seasons, but did well under Bobby Robson and also we were successful under Kevin Keegan in the 1990s.

But it’s almost a cliche now to say the Newcastle deserve this and that, when our form since Robson left has been hopeless, let’s be honest.

We need two things to happen, and in a specific order.

First step is to survive relegation, and then we really need to reshape our squad in the summer – make it bigger and better.

If we can do that then maybe next year we’ll be safe from relegation at this time – and that would be a start – and an improvement over the last three years.

• cooldj

Mar 9, 2009 at 11:06 AM

1st 🙂

• Ericles

Mar 9, 2009 at 11:16 AM

Our Steve is a Geordie really you naa! He does not shirk his pasion for NUFC that is obvious. What he did to Ronald the Diving Master was not crap defending – it was beautiful, and as turned out – FAIR.

• sirjasontoon

Mar 9, 2009 at 11:25 AM

Steven is a cockney.

“Relegation?” “This club belongs in Europe.” “When this club takes off again, it’s going to be absolutely unbelievable. It’s just a matter of when. It’s just waiting.”

We are waiting Mr Taylor…maybe not as patiently as we once did..we are years away from a UEFA place and will be even further away in the championship next season…I think we will be in the championship 2 seasons minimum.

• sirjasontoon

Mar 9, 2009 at 11:26 AM

4th.

• Pons Aelius

Mar 9, 2009 at 11:28 AM

Far, far better at right back due to his attacking nature IMO.

You can tell he loves the club, I’ve a lot of time for Steve Taylor.

• Dan4Toon

Mar 9, 2009 at 11:30 AM

heard that if we stay up (which i think we will) that in the summer we will be after center defensive mid out of Denilson, Huddlestone and Johnson. Personally i would rather have Huddlestone because he would be the cheapest, still only 22 and if we went after Denilson then they would probs want Bassong, which am sorry just isn’t going to happen !

• Volume_Coxlodge

Mar 9, 2009 at 11:34 AM

For me Steven is a real asset. Those people who knock him should remember that he is out of position at RB.

There are similar instances of the way that petty bitchy comments destroy players. Boumsong – who was dreadful when he left here, was not so bad when he arrived. Now he is back in the French squad and playing champions league for Lyon. And (I never thought I would say this) old Titus is making a name for himself again. Isn’t this a coaching problem?

We need to support Taylor and the rest of the team now. Stop the bitchin’.

• dougnufc

Mar 9, 2009 at 11:34 AM

Huddlestone is a great passer of the ball but he is a bit lazy

• Kash

Mar 9, 2009 at 11:39 AM

Huddlestone is the next best thing to Carrick!

• Kash

Mar 9, 2009 at 11:39 AM

Carrick used to look lethargic on the pitch too!

• Graeme

Mar 9, 2009 at 11:45 AM

When Beye is back and fit, Taylor will be stuck on the bench, no doubt about it.

He needs to get rid of the stupid mistakes in his game. They happen far too often to make him a first class defender imo.

His passion isnt in doubt, just his ability to make it at the top. He’s still a long way from the player he thinks he is and way behind Bassong as a defender.

• Stardust

Mar 9, 2009 at 11:53 AM

Volume Coxlodge – “Boumsong – who was dreadful when he left here, was not so bad when he arrived. Now he is back in the French squad and playing champions league for Lyon. And (I never thought I would say this) old Titus is making a name for himself again. Isn’t this a coaching problem?” You can add Rozenhall and Cacapa to that list.

BUT the only common denominator is playing alongside Steven Taylor. He is so positionally attrocious that he ruins their natural game.

What I can not stand is Taylors “I am the Geordie I am the only one who really cares in this team” statements. He uses that to try and get away from his terrible play.

Cant wait till Beye is fit.

• sirjasontoon

Mar 9, 2009 at 11:56 AM

Taylor is not a Geordie.

• Toon Sweden77

Mar 9, 2009 at 12:01 PM

First step is to survive relegation, and then we really need to reshape our squad in the summer -make it bigger and better.

Agree with the theese steps but one important thing is missing here, between these to steps, and its to hire a new longterm, classy manager who can take us one or two steps forward.

• bennytoon

Mar 9, 2009 at 12:09 PM

sirjasontoon is not a geordie

• LATINAMERICATOON

Mar 9, 2009 at 12:22 PM

hey guys, out of topic… but what happened to Fabio Zamblera?

• Toon Graeme

Mar 9, 2009 at 12:25 PM

Bennytoon – Lucky goal on sat eh fella. Mackems nearly done ya!

• LATINAMERICATOON

Mar 9, 2009 at 12:26 PM

stardust… i always thought that boumsong in his first 6 months was good… he then lost confidence and never got the correct coaching and left and now look at him… same can be said for parker who was very good at the start then faded…got sold and now look at him at west ham… let me mention bellamy aswell, all these players were destroyed or not handled by the genius that is graeme souness who for me is the guy who got us into this mess!!

• Stuart79

Mar 9, 2009 at 12:37 PM

Jesus guys!

Does it matter if he’s a Geordie? Couldn’t careless as long as he does his best on the field.

Whether it’s good enough is another question but he has my support while he plays for us.

• Premiership Manager

Mar 9, 2009 at 12:37 PM

If we manage to stay up and Portsmouth go down one of the first players we should look at is Nico Kranjcar.

We also need a central defender, a defensive midfielder, a winger and a forward to replace Owen, Viduka, Geremy, Cacapa and Smith who are very likely to leave.

This will still leave us with a very small squad, however hopefully we’ll aquire several more younger players to bolster the reserves and come next season a few of the younger should be breaking into the first team.

The problem we will have will be funds to buy quality players, however the one positive thing that we have learned in the last year is that you don’t neccessarily have to pay a fortune for quality players.

• Stuart79

Mar 9, 2009 at 12:43 PM

Worrying thing I just thought of-

To stay up we need to win about 50% of our remaining 10 games!

That’s not easy to do when we have Chelsea, Arsenal, Villa to play also.

It’s going to be close and I’m not holding my breath

• komfort

Mar 9, 2009 at 12:57 PM

sirjason , do you think we could tie bennyhill to a carousel and give him a good kicking every time he comes round

• Ericles

Mar 9, 2009 at 1:13 PM

Sirjasontoon – Steve is not a cockney either. He was not born within the sound of Bow bells. He was born in Greenwich which is now part of south London. I have a question. Where were you born Sirjasontoon? Where were your parents born, your grandparents, your great-grandparents, your great-great-grandparents? Mine were all born in Newcastle. Some of those ancestors of mine, back as far as 1761, did not support Newcastle United. One can have Geordie ancestry and be proud of the place, its people, and its team, without having actually being born on Tyneside. Have you ever heard of the old descriptions of such “Geordies” being referred to as “colonials”. As far as I am concerned sleights against Steven Taylor are unnecessary. Remember Jackie Milburn was not a Geordie – like one of my ancestors he was a Northumbrian. If you like Ant and Dec why do you not ask where the name Declan Donelly comes from – is he any the less a Geordie. Is Kevin Whately any the less a Geordie cos his dad was born in Bedford?

• workyticket

Mar 9, 2009 at 1:23 PM

“Some of those ancestors of mine, back as far as 1761, did not support Newcastle United.”

LOL Ericles.

• sirjasontoon

Mar 9, 2009 at 1:33 PM

Ericles all born in the Toon my friend…generation after generation after generation of my family are from The Toon.

Just because I said Taylor is not a geordie big deal..I was stating the facts.

Komfort…I don’t rise the bait with Benny..best ignored in my humble opinion.

• Ericles

Mar 9, 2009 at 1:34 PM

They could not could they? NUFC did not exist. A distant relative called Hedley played for the team a bit in 1905. My own dad played for Newcastle United Swifts around 1928-1930 under Wilf Low and Colin Veitch. That is a bit of proud family history. I hope I do not have to apologise because a great-great-aunt by marriage was a mackem!

• North Atlantic Magpie

Mar 9, 2009 at 2:27 PM

I hope we get rid of Steven Taylor. Having him in defense is dagerous. He always messes things up.
    Beye come back soon so Newcastle can start to get some clean sheets again. With Steven Taylor in defense clean sheets will be very rare.

• sirjasontoon

Mar 9, 2009 at 3:26 PM

North Atlantic Magpie

“It’s about sticking to your 18-yard box, learning that’s your zone as a center-half.” “It may sound boring, but it gets results – it builds a unit.”

A quote from Steven..he understands now that he needs to Stick to his 18 yard box.

• Ericles

Mar 9, 2009 at 4:03 PM

With Beye back and the way Bassong is playing will Steven taylor make the first XI?

• Rodzilla

Mar 9, 2009 at 4:33 PM

I doubt he will Ericles, be good to have a selection dilemma for once though eh?

…we could always play him as a centre forward (?!)

Discuss……

• Rodzilla

Mar 9, 2009 at 5:11 PM

…I’ll get mi coat.

• sirjasontoon

Mar 9, 2009 at 10:56 PM

Grab mine while your there mines a duffel coat the same as stardust’s.

• Sav

Mar 10, 2009 at 1:22 AM

Stardust, what about when Boumsong played alongside Bramble and they were BOTH crap? Who was the common denominator then?

First, Robson, followed by Souness, Roeder, Keegan and Kinnear have all picked Taylor regularly, so ST is a common denominator in that sense perhaps? Give the kid a break.