Carroll Still To Sign New Contract At Newcastle

Gateshead-born striker Andy Carroll has said today he is to put contract talks one side to focus on helping Newcastle United stay in the Premier League.

andrew-carroll-4444

Andy Carroll – wants to help Newcastle relegation survival

And as the club approaches yet another tough relegation battle at Hull City, Andy’s local fighting qualities could help against Hull’s team, who always give 100%.

And with Newcastle deep in relegation trouble, for yet another season, Carroll told the Evening Chronicle today:

“It’s a huge battle.” “We need a win there to get us out of it.”

“After the performance against Manchester United, we just need to keep our heads up.”

“We must go into the game against Hull feeling positive.” “It will be tough, but we must get three points.”

Carroll is discussing a three-year extension to his current deal with improved terms, and there was news last week he had signed the contract. But from what Andy says today, that’s not true, and of course he did reject a 5 year deal at the club earlier, but now a 3 year improved deal is in the works.

Carroll talked about his future, as he continued:

“We are in negotiations and nothing has been settled. I have two more years at the end of the season.”

“I don’t want to go anywhere else, but I will see what happens.” “I want to stay here, but if I’m not going to get first-team football I would need to look elsewhere.”

“I’m coming up to 20 now and I need to start playing.” “If going on loan is going to prove that I can do it, I’ll do that and then come back here.”

“There are five or six strikers at the club, so I just have to score goals.” “Whether that is in training or the reserves I don’t know, but hopefully the gaffer sees what I can do.”

“I’ll only go away if they want me to.” “We’ll wait and see.”

We had thought that Andy had signed a new deal, but we’ll have to wait and see now. But most contract negotiations will likely be delayed until the outcome of the latest relegation battle is known.

There will be two vastly different plans in the summer, depending on whether we stay up or not.

• Tom_Toon

Mar 11, 2009 at 3:02 PM

He doesn’t really deserve a new deal, especially with his attitude and the fact he has 2 years left!

• Bill F

Mar 11, 2009 at 3:06 PM

Or reading between the lines, lets see if we are still an EPL side. Although I would find it difficult to see any thing other than a championship club offering to buy him at this stage of his career.

• Toon Sweden77

Mar 11, 2009 at 3:07 PM

Maybe its a bit early to discuss new terms when were not certain to be a premiership club next season, and he still has 2 years left. Dont belive that we will go down but if we should then Owen, Martins, Viduka and Smith would leave so that could bring him the first team football that hes asking for.

Xisco – Caroll

How about that forward line in the championship? Na, dont even think about it, we will stay up, relegation is not an option!

• bennytoon

Mar 11, 2009 at 3:17 PM

Oh Carrol, you look such a fool
    Your corn rows, are so very uncool,
    If you leave us, sirjasontoon will cry,
    But to be honest,we have bigger fish to fry.

Carrol, you will be replaced with another,
    Cheap foreign import,
    We will get behind him,
    You wont get a second thought
    You were only ever going to be a sub
    No matter what you do
    Oh carrol, I;m so dissapointed in you

( instrumental interlude)

• Stuart79

Mar 11, 2009 at 3:19 PM

I wouldn’t sign for a club with no ambition either!

• Bill F

Mar 11, 2009 at 3:22 PM

Very good BT that is amusing. 🙂

• vivadavidkelly

Mar 11, 2009 at 3:29 PM

dont think i will be losing any sleep. i personally think he s a championship player at best. he is lasy, no pace and his 2nd touch is always a tackle

• lesh

Mar 11, 2009 at 3:57 PM

“put contract talks one side to focus on helping Newcastle United stay in the Premier League” …. what cobblers!

He’s keeping his powder dry and will consider his position when Prem status is defined. Go down, and you can bet your boots that loyalty flies out of the window!!

• sirjasontoon

Mar 11, 2009 at 4:03 PM

ZZZZZZ
    Library closes soon Benny.

• Toon_Factor

Mar 11, 2009 at 4:17 PM

Still unsure about him, havn’t been impressed so far

• Whumpie

Mar 11, 2009 at 4:42 PM

SJT – bit mean. Raised a smile, that post from Benny.

My gut feel on Carroll is that he’s a bit of an arrogant muppet, to be honest. BUT isn’t that the defining characteristic of a successful striker in the modern game?

Dunno – if he thinks he’s getting in ahead of Martins, Loverboy and Owen he’s got another thing coming. His main competition is Shola.. so perhaps he should stay.

• sohica17