Alan Smith Epitomizes The Newcastle Spirit

Alan Smith has today tried to calm Newcastle fans’ fears on the relegation threat.

alan-smith-_ap

Alan Smith – you tell them Alan!

Alan told the Evening Chronicle today:

“We showed against Man United that we can to go to Hull and get a performance and result.”  “It showed against Man United that everybody is going the right direction.”

“There was a great togetherness and a great belief.”  “There is no reason why we can’t go to Hull and play similarly. They are on a bad run as well.”

“Yes, they won against Fulham, but we have to be positive.”  “It’s an old cliche but it’s true – we’ve got 10 cup finals left.”

The Evening Chronicle is reporting that anxiety is still present on the streets of Newcastle right now, and we’re not surprised.  The Newcastle games aren’t exactly easy to watch these days, especially since the results hardly ever seem to go our way of late.

In fact watching the Manchester United – Inter Milan game last night, Newcastle played as well, if not better than Inter played, when we met the Red Devils last Wednesday night at St. James’ Park. In fact we tore them apart – almost – in the first 20 minutes.     😀

But the difference between Inter-Milan and Newcastle is Inter actually beat teams that are not as good as them, unlike Newcastle.  That’s one of our big problem, and we can start changing that on Saturday.

Alan Smith is just the type of character we’d like to see start the game on Saturday too, and he believes that despite the defeat against his former club, the fans should take some encouragement from the performance against Manchester United.

Alan continued:

“I think that we gave them some belief.”  “It was probably a shock to everybody the way that we started.”

“I have spoken to some of the Manchester United players since and they said that the Newcastle game was one of the most difficult games they’ve had for a long, long time.”

Smith was also able to take some solace from the pep talk by his former Man U team-mates:

“It gave me a boost. We’re a team that haven’t had what we deserved at times.”

“We just need a little bit of luck to go our way.”  “Even at Bolton there wasn’t much in it – we conceded a poor goal and lost 1-0.”

“Against Man United, if you can keep them at bay for as long as we did and restrict them to limited opportunities, you are doing the right things.”

“Even the goals we conceded, one came via a deflection that Steve Harper would normally save and the other came from a mistake we can eradicate.”

“We have to look forward, go to Hull and take the positives out of Man United.”  “We can go there full of confidence.”

We’ve blasted Alan in the past, probably too much,  for his lack of form at the club, but we’ve never doubted his character ever.  If Smith can now start to play like we know he can for the Tyneside club, he’ll fast become a favorite with the Newcastle fans, because his attitude epitomizes the Newcastle spirit – now he just has to keep up the good form he showed against Manchester United.

We think Alan can do exactly that.

Howay The Lads!!

• gonufc

Mar 12, 2009 at 3:42 PM

I saw the headline and just thought- “uh oh, that’s not good”

• DJM TOON

Mar 12, 2009 at 3:53 PM

yeah, he epitomizes the toon spirit and also their ability to play this season

dreadful

for all his efforts to run around lots, he’s a non starter

• catchy in norway

Mar 12, 2009 at 3:56 PM

we need ten more like him

• catchy in norway

Mar 12, 2009 at 3:57 PM

to leave the club,,

then we might move on

Mar 12, 2009 at 4:06 PM

Catchy-Well Funny made me spit my coffee out laughing.

Smith has to be one of the worst newcastle buys in recent seasons…awful.

Mar 12, 2009 at 4:10 PM

We need to clear out the Smiths,Dukes,Duffers,Ameobis,Butts etc They offer very little.

• Micky Toon

Mar 12, 2009 at 4:12 PM

When we signed him I was hoping he would be another Gary Speed. At the time I thought Speed (Gary not Ed) was a poor buy, but he proved me wrong. Smith just lived down to everyones expectations.
    I liked him at Leeds, gutsy fella, but he went to ManU and came out the other side a poorer player!

• workyticket

Mar 12, 2009 at 4:15 PM

Making bad tackles, then shouting and pointing the blame at everyone else empitomises the Newcastle spirit?

Sounds about right! 🙂

Mar 12, 2009 at 4:17 PM

I was well excited when we signed him and have hoped he would show flashes of him getting back to his former self a real fighter on the park and a decent goalscorer.

But non of this has materialised and he is nothing but a goal shy yellow card magnet and does not warrant 60k a week more like 3k max.(sounds like a retail outlet).

Mar 12, 2009 at 4:18 PM

Haha he looks realy commanding when he points and grits his teeth.

Do you think he will ever score for us?

• komfort

Mar 12, 2009 at 4:20 PM

workyticket , sounds like a match made in heaven that…..score us a goal smithy.

Mar 12, 2009 at 4:20 PM

The blog title Should read

Alan Smith Epitomizes Waste of Space.

Mar 12, 2009 at 4:21 PM

He couldn’t score on pro evo Smithy.

• TORONTOON

Mar 12, 2009 at 4:25 PM

at this point, we need to get off our players backs…all of them. what good will it do to insult them? it’ll only make them play worst. does everyone here want us to go down? positive thinking creats positive energy; like looking up instead of down. COME ON SMITH SCORE ONE FOR US

Mar 12, 2009 at 4:26 PM

I would love Smith to score…not going to happen though,he has more chance of getting sent off.

• Micky Toon

Mar 12, 2009 at 4:27 PM

Don’t get me wrong TOTONTOON on a match day I am 110% behind whoever is on the pitch for us, but before or after that I will tell it like it is.

• Marty-Toon

Mar 12, 2009 at 4:31 PM

SMUDGE alongside NOLAN should give us some bite…..
    leave Butt on the side-lines when we get players back.
    Keep shola off the team sheet and we might stay up

• TORONTOON

Mar 12, 2009 at 4:32 PM

it’s just that we need every ounce of fight we have in our players…

if you tell a child that he’s sh#te long enough, he’ll start to believe you.

• Stardust

Mar 12, 2009 at 4:34 PM

John Dahl Tommasen – Even Albert Luque is playing great this year.

He is back, he is fit, get behind him he shown the quality in the past (albeit for man U) the only difference is confidence – we need to find it for him.

Thought his interview as a great uplift – especially re the Manu U player bit.

On to Hull – Come On!

• TORONTOON

Mar 12, 2009 at 4:38 PM

agree w/stardust

he stood up against the tampons midfield and fought for every ball. we need this kind of fight for the rest of our games

• Whumpie

Mar 12, 2009 at 4:48 PM

tampons… funny…

I’m with Stardust and Torontoon (gotta love a Canuck) and I hate all this negative sh1te.

SJT: can you name anyone in the club – player or otherwise – who you don’t want sacked? Can you say anything positive about NUFC at all?

And the rest of you need to do your homework: Smith’s had a terrible season, and definitely not earned his money. But all you lot judge on is goals. How many times has he been played as a striker? 3?

He kept us from getting spanked last Wednesday, and I strongly suspect that he’s a big part of why the team spirit was so high that day.

Get off his back; he’s what we need right now.

Mar 12, 2009 at 5:06 PM

There are some at newcastle I would sack yes indeed whumpie…this would include Smith.

He is meant to be a great lad in the changing rooms on the park that is a different ball game.

If you think he has justified his transfer fee which I think was 6m and 60k a week for how many weeks then we will agree to disagree.

• Whumpie

Mar 12, 2009 at 5:16 PM

Would I rather be without him right now? Nope. He’s got bottle and he showed last week how he can make life very difficult for opposition when he plays midfield. If he gets a goal one day, that’s a bonus – but it’s not what we need from him right now.

I think I’ve heard you call for the heads of Ashley, Llambias, Wise, JFK, Hughton, Calderwood, Geremi, Butt, Smith, Owen, Shola, Duff, Viduka, Taylor, Carroll, Edgar, Enrique, Cacapa….

I’m sure there are more. It leaves you with a starting line-up of…

A load of kids.

How about this: try to get through a day with only positive postings. Really – I bet you can’t.

Mar 12, 2009 at 5:18 PM

Never said a bad word about several of those personnel whumpie please feel free to back up your statement with hard facts.

I would never knock Geremi he is our set piece magician.

• Whumpie

Mar 12, 2009 at 5:22 PM

Seriously? I can’t actually tell if you’re being sarcastic. I like Geremi’s ability to steady a midfield and protect the defence, but I can’t remember a spot-kick going well from him since, um… ever.

Still, if I have wronged you, I apologise. It just seems that a lot of posters right now want to cure every fault by sacking and replacing – which is exactly how we’ve avoided silverware for all these years.

• Whumpie

Mar 12, 2009 at 5:24 PM

Go on – make me feel better by listing some people you’d like to see here next season. Honestly – I need a dose of positivity!

• Widowmaker

Mar 12, 2009 at 5:29 PM

John Dahl Tommasen was not good enough to play as lone striker at the time.

It is a shame that he could not make it with us but it was not any fan’s fault that he had failed. He had his chances. He only made it with AC Milan 4 years later and it is asking too much for any EPL team to give a player 4 years to be ready.

No offense to Feyenoord, but NUFC was a lot bigger at the time.

Albert Luque was not given enough chances and I am sure many fans would agree with this. I may be wrong, but my impression was that most fans would have liked him been given more chances.

Mar 12, 2009 at 5:30 PM

Owen,Duke (1 more season)
    R Taylor,K.Nolan,Harper,Beye,Smith(If he does some positive things in the remaining games),Barton,Enrique (Getting Better)Bassong,KrulJonas,Collocini(1 more season to prove himself),Duff(Again 1 more season) there’s quite a few..and I rate many of the youngsters who should have played both games against Hull in the cup.

Mar 12, 2009 at 5:32 PM

Tommasson was like 12 years old an chucked in on his own too early.

I liked Luque and could see his frustration and would have gave him a bit more time.

Mar 12, 2009 at 5:34 PM

Maybe it is not the management maybe these players are just not made to compliment eachother…sometimes you can have great names like spurs but produce crap mostly like spurs.

• sohica17

Mar 12, 2009 at 5:36 PM

come alan u have showed the attitude, now give us some goals to convince us

• workyticket

Mar 12, 2009 at 6:27 PM

Stardust // Mar 12, 2009 at 4:34 PM

“Thought all things considering he played well against Man U. Trouble is at Newcastle the fans are sometimes their own worst enemy.”

Aye Stardust, in fairness he wasn’t too bad the other night, not great but very good considering. It’s funny you should mention the fans though because he reminds me of some of us sometimes. He’ll play badly, create a godawful mess that gets the team in big trouble, then shout at the other players as if it’s their fault. He is then mistakenly praised for being being “passionate” and “committed”. Fair play to him though, he was ok against Man U.

• Nick D

Mar 12, 2009 at 7:35 PM

Whumpie the kids haven’t got us in the dreadful situation we are now. I’d have more faith in the likes of Lua and Ranger.

Smith epitomises a lot of poor newcastle players largely signed by Allardyce, who in no particular order are sick notes, over paid, past their sell by and can’t pass a ball to save their lives.

• Rodzilla

Mar 12, 2009 at 9:13 PM

Whumpie post 21

…well said mate. I’d definately keep Smith in centre midfield until Barton’s back – he’s a real battler and has exactly the steel we need to put up a decent fight. Although I think these qualities are what we need at the moment I do have a concern over his temperament and tendancy to mis-time a tackle – watching Smith against manure was quite hairy at times. I just hope he can stay on the pitch.

• Brutooon

Mar 12, 2009 at 11:28 PM

Alan Smith got a spirit of a die hard FAN….NOT a player.

• jimiley

Mar 12, 2009 at 11:37 PM

Alan Smith is a total plonker. It shows how far we have fallen if we try to justify his place in the team.
    A forward who has not scored for 4 years.
    How about a midfielder who creates nothing.
    OK then, how about a midfielder who runs about like headless chicken, fouls a lot because he is too slow and gets yellow carded. Smudger is not good enough for a pub team. I can give commitment and effort for 60k a week. I can break aleg as well if it came to it. I’m a crap player. So is Smudger.

• jimiley

Mar 12, 2009 at 11:46 PM

The author of this blog is surely being paid by MA or trying to provoke debate. Ed harrison cannot surely believe the rubbish he has been writing in the last few weeks. He sounds like the last desperate throw of the dice by a fully paid up member of the NUFC board when everything black and white cannot be challenged. Ed, you are losing your credibility. It’s one thing being a supported of the club, but an entirely differnent thing being so biased that you cannot see the wood for the trees. MA for Pope Ed?

• Rodzilla

Mar 13, 2009 at 12:37 AM

jmiley,

Ed is hardly gona write stories with headlines like:

“3 Points Needed at the KC or We’re F*kd – says Coloccini”

or……

“NUFC Board, Players and Fans are Sh1tting Themselves”

….until good things start happening to us he can’t write much else mate. Although the reality of the situation ain’t smelling of roses, I’m all for a bit of optimism.

• workyticket

Mar 13, 2009 at 1:04 AM

jimiley // Mar 12, 2009 at 11:46 PM

“The author of this blog is surely being paid by MA or trying to provoke debate.”

Trying to provoke debate is one of the main reasons for a ‘blog jimiley. If you disagree with someone in a debate, it is best to point out why you think they’re wrong, not throw out libellous personal accusations. With all due respect, it just make your argument look completely bankrupt.

• Rodzilla

Mar 13, 2009 at 1:18 AM

…b0ll0cks, I missed the:

“author of this blog is surely…..trying to provoke debate.” …bit.

Well spotted worky 🙂 lol

right, I’m never gona get up for work, off……….