Newcastle Relegation Watch – Blackburn Win

There was only one Premier League game last night but the result saw Blackburn move above Newcastle in the Premier League table.

nufc-crest4

Blackburn were at Craven Cottage last night, where another relegation side, this Saturday’s Newcastle opponents Hull City, won with a last minute goal last weekend to get their first win since December 6th, when they beat Middlesbrough.

And almost the same thing happened again last night, although Fulham had taken the lead through the American Clint Dempsey after just 2 minutes.

But then on 69 minutes there was a controversial equaliser from El-Hadji Diouf, the fomrer Liverpool, Bolton and Sunderland winger, who appeared to be clearly offside. Somehow this law will need to be changed, because there is just too much interpretation allowed of when a player is involved in play.

The player seemed clearly offside, but was not flagged.  The goal was allowed to stand, and then of course just 5 minutes from time, Jason Roberts got the all important winner to capture Blackburn a vital 3 points.

This result means that Blackburn have taken 7 points from their last 3 games, and have gained 6 points in that time on Newcastle, and are now 2 points ahead of the Magpies, who are in 4th bottom place.

Portsmouth are level on points with Newcastle but have an inferior goal difference, but they also have a game in hand, which fortunately is against Manchester United, but a draw in that game could take them above the Magpies and Newcastle will then be 3rd bottom, with all teams having played 28 games.

So it wasn’t a good result for Newcastle last night, in fact the worst possible, and Fulham are not safe yet either, although they have 34 points, a full 6 points more than Newcastle.

Newcastle need to put together a string of wins to move up the table, otherwise relegation is going to become an even bigger threat as time goes on, and hardly good for the health or nerves of Newcastle supporters.   🙁

We need to start saving ourselves and not be dependent on the results of other clubs down in the relegation quagmire with us.

• Ed Harrison

Mar 12, 2009 at 9:55 AM

Good news doughnufc – I needed cheering up 😀

• Stuart79

Mar 12, 2009 at 9:58 AM

We need to win 50% of our remaining 10 games to be sure of staying up.

We have Arsenal, Chelsea and Villa to play also. Does anyone think we’ll get much from tese games?

So that’s 5 wins from 7 games in reality (I know it’s never as simple as that).

We haven’t won a home game all year and have won only 2 away games all season!

Our record in the last 25 games is 4 wins!

I’ve said it for months, we will be relegated!

Not knee jerk reaction (stardust) I’ve held this few for a long time.

Will it stop me supporting the club? Not a chance!

• Zangwill_Ho

Mar 12, 2009 at 9:58 AM

So poor Newcastle……..

• Stuart79

Mar 12, 2009 at 9:58 AM

View not few

• Stuart79

Mar 12, 2009 at 9:59 AM

Nice to see the club are communicating well again!

• Dan4Toon

Mar 12, 2009 at 10:00 AM

good news Doug, but its not on our official website so i am confused!

• komfort

Mar 12, 2009 at 10:02 AM

ed , we could have done without that result for sure.

• Graeme

Mar 12, 2009 at 10:03 AM

At least Andy Carroll has some faith, having signed his new contract on Monday – according to Sky that is.

Worst possible result for us, but we have no one to blame but our illustrious leader who failed to invest in the first team, to strengthen a very weak unit.

Didnt stop him making another healthy profit during the window though!!!! He needs to change his priority from profit to Premier League survival!!!! Might be too late now, sadly.

• Zangwill_Ho

Mar 12, 2009 at 10:06 AM

If we lose/draw on this Sat, we get a big chance say good bye to Premier League game

• DJG

Mar 12, 2009 at 10:07 AM

#from dead thread#

Even our reserves could only manage 1-1 at Hull.

Why do I feel we will all be biting our nails on Sat.

Hate to say it but I just can’t see us winning but another draw wouldn’t be enough with the matches we have coming up.

Owen and Harper will have to play out of their skin and neither are on good form.

• Stuart79

Mar 12, 2009 at 10:10 AM

I won’t be watching the Hull game, I just couldn’t.

• valle

Mar 12, 2009 at 10:12 AM

Fulham arent doing us any favours, thats for sure. Loosing to Hull at home and now Blackburn… All this relegation stuff is nervy

• komfort

Mar 12, 2009 at 10:21 AM

its crucial the destiny of our season remains in our own hands , if we lose this the fight for survival will be all but over (barring freak results and a large dollip of lady luck) of course ..here’s hoping & praying.

• Toonmadtom

Mar 12, 2009 at 10:24 AM

we will win at hull mark my words.im putting a bet on for 2-0 jonas to score first

• bennytoon

Mar 12, 2009 at 10:25 AM

Delighted for blackburn.

• komfort

Mar 12, 2009 at 10:30 AM

sniff sniff , ah hello benny thought that was you .

• Macas35

Mar 12, 2009 at 10:47 AM

Looking at the upcoming fixtures (Hill, Arsenal, Chelsea, Stoke and Spurs) we need to claim about 7 points I reckon to give us 35 points.
    Then we have 3 home games left against teams around us to try and salvage enough to survive.
    I’m just not sure we are capable of getting those 6 or 7 points in the next 5 games, but I hope I’m proved wrong.
    Nolan’s stupidity cost cost us dearly, we could have done with 11 men against Everton and maybe snatch a win, and he missed Bolton and misses Hull, 2 games you woulf have said were winnable.

• bennytoon

Mar 12, 2009 at 10:53 AM

You might get 3 points against stoke but i think you will be bottom by then.

• stevep

Mar 12, 2009 at 10:56 AM

it aint looking good for us – based on current form

hull (a) draw
    arsenal (h) defeat
    chelsea (h) defeat
    stoke (a) draw
    spuds (a) defeat
    portsmouth (h) win
    liverpool (a) defeat
    boro (h) win
    fulham (h) win
    villa (a) defeat

That will gives us 11 points so we’ll end up on 39 – it’s going to be very very close – if portsmouth turns into a draw or defeat then we’re def down

• bennytoon

Mar 12, 2009 at 11:04 AM

i think your biggest problem is you arent playing against mid table teams who have nothing to play for. Everyone of those teams is either fighting to get into europe or against relegation.

• Whumpie

Mar 12, 2009 at 11:07 AM

3 things on this one:

1. Ed: Benny’s wumming again – please have a word.

2. Stuart79, post 3: “Will it stop me supporting the club? Not a chance!”
    Stuart79, post 12: “I won’t be watching the Hull game, I just couldn’t.I’m going to NCL races, getting p1ssed and trying to put all these troubles behind me!”
    … make yer mind up, mate.

3. Does anyone else see the silver lining here? Fulham are going down at this rate! One more place filled..

4-1 against Hull. Gerrin!

• stevep

Mar 12, 2009 at 11:11 AM

bennytoon – unfortunately I agree 🙁

• Whumpie

Mar 12, 2009 at 11:13 AM

Dammit, yes – Benny’s made a good point. Benny – stick to that stuff and drop the wumming, will you?

• Macas35

Mar 12, 2009 at 11:44 AM

Whumpie – I disagree about Fulham, they will be fine and are already a long way ahead of us.

• clinta

Mar 12, 2009 at 11:57 AM

If one of pompey, blackburn and newcastle need to go down my heart says pompey… but my head says it very well could be newcastle due to our difficult run in.

• sahota

Mar 12, 2009 at 12:23 PM

I think it was just me who was overly nervous about our SAT game, but looks like everyone is as much worried and nervous as I am. Guys just hold the nerve, Its big big game and if we win it still struggle will not be over but will be big step forward. If we lose then u know what …

Is this match coming live on SKY or Setanta ???

• THE MAGPIE

Mar 12, 2009 at 12:44 PM

If we win i think we will stay up, if we lose i think its Championship for us.

• coyote

Mar 12, 2009 at 12:51 PM

I still think we’ll finish 4th bottom and avoid relegation but I also think it’ll be very close probably only 1 point in it and it’ll get worse before it gets better
    lets hope saturday goes our way!!!!!!!!!
    UP THE TOON

• Stuart79

Mar 12, 2009 at 1:22 PM

Whumpie

Think you’ll find that by supporting the club I mean keeping my season ticket and buying merchandise.

I don’t have to watch every single game to show the support they need!

Think about what ya saying MATE!