Nicky Butt Tells It Like It Is – Good For Him

One thing we’ve always liked about  Nicky Butt,  is that he is a straight talker and tells it like it is.

nicky-butt-_1203165c1

Nicky Butt – tells it like it is – good for him

Butt will hope to be starting at the KC stadium following his knee injury, and he talked today to the Evening Chronicle today about the upcoming Hull City game:

“These games are going to be battles.”  “It’s been a bad season, we know that. There is no point feeling sorry for ourselves.”

“All we can do is concentrate on getting as many points as we can.”  “We can’t worry about how bad it is or how other teams do, we just need to get as many points as we can.”

“Our last away game at Bolton was not a good performance.”   “It was scrappy and games like that are always going to be.”

“We need to start taking our chances in away games.”  “Bolton had one shot on goal and scored – we had a few and didn’t. It was a bad performance for us.”

“We are better than that, we know we are.”  “But it’s getting desperate now and we need to start picking up points.”

Newcastle fans were not too happy by the team’s performance  during the last away game at the Reebok Stadium, when we sent down meekly by 1-0. And why we keep our best performances only for the top teams just has to change, otherwise we will be relegated.

We also need to start winning away from home more often, since we’ve only got two such wins this season, at Portsmouth and at WBA.

But there’s little doubt that Newcastle fans are becoming more aware that our plight right now is worse than last season, and with Blackburn winning last night, we are 4th bottom of the league, and far too close to the relegation drop zone. In fact even if we win on Saturday we’ll not appreciably move much higher in the table.

Butt is well aware of the fans’ disappointment at some of our recent performances, and he seems to undertaand it’s just not good enough, as the vice-captain continued:

“I can fully understand it.”  “I think the fans had thought we’d turned the corner and they were up for it again.”

“They were singing and getting behind us. Then after a couple of results they are sickened again.”

“It’s a sickener for us, too, and the staff. But we need the players, fans and staff all together if we are to turn the corner.”

It may be a sickener for the players, but it’s the players who can (and must) turn this thing around. We have to hope they go into battle on Saturday as though their lives depended on winning the game.

That may even do the trick and bring only our second win in our last 13 games.

• tommy_trouble

Mar 12, 2009 at 2:55 PM

as long as we stop playing ameobi full stop and give a couple of the kids a chance to impress we have a chance. a manager would be an idea as well, maybe someone from the lower leagues would come in, just not steve bruce please.

• Toon Sweden77

Mar 12, 2009 at 3:00 PM

We already has JFK and Calderwood from the lower leagues

• tommy_trouble

Mar 12, 2009 at 3:04 PM

someone who has been vaguely successful or shown some potential in the last decade I meant! i don’t know much about calderwood’s management career to be honest, doesnt seem to be setting the place alight with us

• BT9MAG

Mar 12, 2009 at 3:09 PM

Tommy, can’t see anyone coming in this season, Whether we stay up or not, I’d love to see Temuri Ketsbiah come in – look what he’s done at Anorthosis Famagusta, beating Olympiacos and Pathinaicos and then drawing with Werder Bremen and Inter! I don’t think Newcastle’s current squad could do that and he’s had pittance to spend!

He’s already said he’d love to manage us, and had a bit of a bust up with his current club when their president was forced to resign – he’s popular enough with the fans to be given time, he’s proven he can get teams to perform at the top level nd he’s still young enough to be tempted into managing our car-crash of a club!

Win/Win IMO

• sirjasontoon

Mar 12, 2009 at 3:15 PM

I would take a punt on Temuri defiantly and if we are relegated the whole deck should be cleared and the youngsters given a chance.

I just think the players are uninspired by the current set up.

• sirjasontoon

Mar 12, 2009 at 3:16 PM

No to Steve Bruce,Dull,1 dimensional.

• Whumpie

Mar 12, 2009 at 3:17 PM

I honestly think – despite so much experience to the contrary – that we’re going to spank Hull on Saturday. Dunno – just a feeling.

With Owen, Martins, Loverboy, Duff, Jonas possibly all on the pitch at the same time – with Butt and Smith battling for the ball and distributing from the middle – surely there’s goals in there??

Look at the squad we’re up against: yes, they’ve done brilliantly early in the season, but the gloss has now gone and they are plummetting. There for the taking, I reckon, and the fixture is perfect timing for us.

• Whumpie

Mar 12, 2009 at 3:18 PM

er… why are you lot discussing managers?

• sirjasontoon

Mar 12, 2009 at 3:19 PM

Discussing Managers is more interesting than chatting about Nicky Butt. : )

• Whumpie

Mar 12, 2009 at 3:20 PM

We know who’s managing the team, and we know it’s not going to change until at least the summer. What the hell is the point in speculating about who’s just had a bust-up with whom and may do what with our team?

• sirjasontoon

Mar 12, 2009 at 3:22 PM

I think a draw at Hull..possibly defeat,just taking Stats into consideration we struggled against Hull reserves twice in the cup and our away for has been shocking all season.

• sirjasontoon

Mar 12, 2009 at 3:22 PM

+Form

• sirjasontoon

Mar 12, 2009 at 3:23 PM

I think its called clutching at Straws fella and the straw draw is running on empty.

• sirjasontoon

Mar 12, 2009 at 3:25 PM

On the subject of managers if I had 300m invested in something and the manager was on sick leave and the next in charge had already shown he wasn’t capable I would have bust the bank to get a manager in to save the investment.

• vivadavidkelly

Mar 12, 2009 at 3:32 PM

if we did get relagated, what do you think our starting xi would be next year?

Harper

Tozer Taylor Edgar LB????

RM???? Butt Guthrie Lua Lua

Shola Carroll

• Dan4Toon

Mar 12, 2009 at 3:32 PM

I think we will stay up ( just ) but if we do go down then i reckon shearer will be our manager, because yes all the fans say he might not prove it in the prem but surely with a few of our players staying i.e Guthrie, Beye, Taylor and also Ranger and LuaLua coming through i think we would come straight back up and then we could start fresh, with shearer but i do think we will stay up !

• vivadavidkelly

Mar 12, 2009 at 3:37 PM

i cant call it, i really cant. things will be alot clearer after the stoke game i reckon

• Whumpie

Mar 12, 2009 at 3:45 PM

I don’t see why the reserves matches have any bearing on this – it’s two different teams.

Admittedly, if you look at our form across the season it doesn’t look good. But if you look at the situation we have right now – the most recent performance, the players available and the opposition’s consistent decline – I think we’re going to hump them.

As for managers, I do get what you’re saying about the £300m investment and loyalty to a bloke who doesn’t even buy green bananas in case he dies before they’re ready to eat – but it’s clear that Hughton and Calderwood are it for the next 10 games. End of.

Anyone got any radical ideas on a line-up for Saturday?

• Stardust

Mar 12, 2009 at 3:53 PM

Whumpie – If Owens fit I would bring him in, drop S Taylor to the bench – Loven and Jonas on the wings – other than that same players as Man U.

With our players back we will be fine. We are a good team. We have had a hideous season luck wise, ans stability wise. If we get through it – I expect we will – I believe this season will be the making of our future – a bright stable future at last.

• Whumpie

Mar 12, 2009 at 4:00 PM

Ta for the ‘upper’ Stardust – I hope you’re right.
    So I take it you mean putting Ryan Taylor at RB?

I have no better ideas. I was hoping the two Taylors would show a real understanding in the way Enrique and Jonas have done – but it’s not materialised yet.

Good news on Duff, too – he could be a useful sub for the wings.

• sirjasontoon

Mar 12, 2009 at 4:03 PM

I think if we go down Stardust they deck will be cleared and it will be a chance to rebuild with sensible investment over the coming seasons,It will be a sad day and 1 that I dread but I just don’t think at this moment in time we have enough to stay up.

• Whumpie

Mar 12, 2009 at 4:14 PM

It’s like having a conversation in the pub with Eyore and Timmy Mallett…

Sorry guys – no offence. But the contrast in posts it is quite marked!

I’m in between. If I had to put my dosh on it, I’d bet on us staying up. That’s because I can think of more than 2 teams that look more likely to go down than us. I think the bottom will end up as:

15 Newcastle
    16 Portsmouth
    17 Fulham
    18 Hull
    19 Stoke
    20 West Brom

That’s the optimistic version, mind – you could drop us down below Fulham for the pessimistic one..

• Micky Toon

Mar 12, 2009 at 4:16 PM

We do have enough to stay up. The current bottom 3 will be the 3 that are relegated. The only team that I can see putting a run together is boro because they have a better squad than the other two.
    It’s all about confidence.

• Micky Toon

Mar 12, 2009 at 4:17 PM

Whumpie – Really? The three promoted teams getting relegated? Where’s boro in your prediction?

• Stardust

Mar 12, 2009 at 4:22 PM

Yeah I do Whumpie (RT) – I think that team would have far too much quality and pace over 90 for Hull.

Totally agree re Duff, unlike Owen you couldnt bring him straight back in – but as Owen tires, I would put Loven up front with Oba and Duff with fresh legs on the wing.

I actually wouldnt be suprised to see owne drop a tiny bit deeper on Sat – to form a 4 2 31 formation – it would terrrify Hull. Jonas and Loven pushing forwards and back attacking but covering and ball passing from midfield. Owen to arrive late in the holes.

I am upbeat – the ultmate optimist.

I agreed with you earlier – a few of the one line of rubbish brigade have being ruining the blog – it stops people posting as theres nothing to get involved with. As soon a decent thread gets going it heads straight up past 100 entries.

• Alex

Mar 12, 2009 at 4:24 PM

I think this weekend will decide our fate , if we win (and i think we will) we will go on to save ourselves . loose and i think the players will start to think its over . Boro play Pompey this week , so i am hoping for a win for us and a draw in that game , then we will have a tiny bit of breathing space . I also think a win will inspire us to get something from the next 2 home games (2 draws ) then we have a run of games where we can play with a bit of confidence .

• Micky Toon

Mar 12, 2009 at 4:25 PM

Off topic, but I think that ed sometimes posts too many topics. I often think that two of three of his articles could easily be put into one. It seems that you just get some decent banter going and then everyone sods off to the newest blog entry. For me that disrupts the flow more than bennytool or any one line specials.

• Stardust

Mar 12, 2009 at 4:26 PM

I will gladly settle for

15 Fulham
    16 Newcastle
    17 Hull
    18 Portsmouth
    19 Stoke
    20 West Brom

• Stardust

Mar 12, 2009 at 4:27 PM

Good point Micky – youre right – sometimes int he same day an article is spread over 3 posts what could be said in 1 – but we dont know if Ed has to do that to keep the blog quicker for mobile users? Just a thought.

• Whumpie

Mar 12, 2009 at 4:30 PM

I have a horrible feeling that Boro are going to steadily claw their way up now. Just a feeling, really.

Looking at it again, you have a point – not very imaginative, is it? Still, that’s my bet.

• Micky Toon

Mar 12, 2009 at 4:30 PM

Am I missing a trick here? Do you lot know something about boro that I don’t? Do you really think they will finish above 15th?

• Alex

Mar 12, 2009 at 4:35 PM

Why does everyone think Fulham will sink so low ? They have too many decent players and a manager that knows what he is doing for them to sink so far , in my opinion

• sirjasontoon

Mar 12, 2009 at 4:42 PM

Agree with Alex,Fulham will stay up-hodgson has been there and done it before.

• Macedonia toon

Mar 12, 2009 at 4:56 PM

Butt should give some good football, not just talking how bad we are.

• komfort

Mar 12, 2009 at 5:22 PM

• workyticket

Mar 12, 2009 at 7:37 PM

komfort // Mar 12, 2009 at 5:22 PM

“stardust , you should stop it with the sly digs and trying to act the big time charlie you race from thread to thread wrapping knuckles of anyone who dare to disagree with you ,(today apart ) you rarely debate with people just chastise them. to me i view you as a figure of fun and treat you accordinally , as far as i’m aware theres no treatment for small man syndrome , so once again stop trying to act the big time charlie…be happy.”

Hmmm, you berate Stardust with the words “you rarely debate with people just chastise them”. Then you add; “to me i view you as a figure of fun and treat you accordinally , as far as i’m aware theres no treatment for small man syndrome , so once again stop trying to act the big time charlie”.

I think you’re missing the irony there perhaps?

Sadly, there’s no cure for ‘stupid man syndrome’ either komfort! 😉

• chuck

Mar 12, 2009 at 7:53 PM

STARDUST, We are a good team and had a hideous season luck wise?
    NO we are a shit team and getting worse, with our bargain basement replacements for decent players.
    If, and it looks likely, we are relegated, put it down to a parsimonious owner and a management group who are still “on the job training”
    Not talking about JFK he did as well as expected, talking about Llambias and the board.
    I can understand Ashley buying the club, who would`nt want such a toy for a rich man.
    But what does running a gambling casino have to do with football and why would you hire someone who obviously doesnt have a clue.
    A bad gamble who`s results could be devastating for both club and ownership, stupid! stupid! stupid!

• Rodzilla

Mar 12, 2009 at 8:21 PM

komfort // Mar 12, 2009 at 5:22 PM —-Post 35
    …and
    workyticket // Mar 12, 2009 at 7:37 PM –Post 36

Re: Stardust

“I agreed with you earlier – a few of the one line of rubbish brigade have being ruining the blog – it stops people posting as theres nothing to get involved with.”

Worky, I think you’re missing the point that komfort made. I read Stardust’s posts and often find them interesting, however the irony of his statement above should be noted. I personally (and I’m sure many others) have neglected to get involved in a discussion due to the condescending and often vitriolic tone used by Stardust. This blog is here for all NUFC fans to use, whatever opinion they have. A blogger’s views are not automatically ‘better’ if they have higher educational qualifications or a better command of English.

…anyway, regarding Nicky Butt’s comments:

Yes Nicky, you should be worrying. And…..

“Our last away game at Bolton was not a good performance.” “It was scrappy and games like that are always going to be.”

….no Nicky, they shouldn’t ALWAYS have to be like that if you play well enough.

3 points at Hull please. 0 and we’re guaranteed 18th. Kick some @ss lads and go into Arsenal and Chelsea with yer heeds held high!!!!

(and yeah Chuck, it is a very large gamble – I’m just praying it comes off as I believe next season will be a stark contrast – IF we stay up.)

• Stuart79

Mar 12, 2009 at 8:24 PM

Fred Carno’s!

• Rodzilla

Mar 12, 2009 at 8:35 PM

We’re not that bad Stuart79.

…yet.