Newcastle Find It Hard To Attract Rangers’ Bougherra

It seems that Newcastle are continuing their transfer thrust since news today that one of their  targets at Rangers, isn’t too keen to make the switch to Newcastle United, even though he could double his wages.

madjid-bougherra-1291557c

Madjid Bougherra – doesn’t want to join Newcastle

Rangers center-back Madjid Bougherra seems like he’s less than interested in joining Newcastle United despite claiming he could double his money with the Tyneside club.

The Algerian was linked with Newcastle in the January transfer window, and it looks he is still on Newcastle’s radar screen. Rangers are not too well off for cash these days and may need to unload some of their players this summer.

But Bougherra insists he does not want to move from a championship-challenging side to Newcastle, who are struggling once again, against relegation.

Bougherra told Sky Sports today:

“I could make twice as much money at Newcastle,” “Rangers don’t pay me much more than I was on at Charlton.” “I am not among their best-paid players, I am someone who has joined them from a Championship club.”

“But in sporting terms, I am at a big club and I am happy with what I have, as it enables me to live well and look after my family.” “My heart is with Rangers and I want another season at the very least here. I’ve climbed the ladder from Gueugnon and Crewe.”

“It would be illogical to leave Rangers for a club struggling to stay up knowing I could play Champions League football next season or at worst be in the Europa League.”

“People recognise me whenever I go to the shops and, during the last transfer window, the Rangers fans pleaded with me not to leave,” “I was surprised they begged me to stay, as I had only been at the club for five months.”

“But they said they loved me as I had replaced a player they considered irreplaceable in Cuellar.” “Carlos had been voted player of the year last season but was then transferred to Aston Villa.”

“The fans were unhappy, he was their idol and they didn’t think anyone could replace them.”

The fact that Madjid Bougherra says  “It would be illogical to leave Rangers for a club struggling to stay up”   just about sums up how far Newcastle have fallen in esteem, since Bobby Robson was sacked from the club in late August, 2004.

It’s sad to see that Newcastle have fallen so far, but we’ll need to get the best players we can come the summer, and try to get back up that league.

But because the club is indeed struggling to avoid relegation, it will not be easy to attract the top players in the summer, and that will need to wait until we are up there challenging again near the top of the league.

But just how many seasons that will take is an open question, and the very fact that Madjid doesn’t want to leave Rangers, even though he could double his wages at Newcastle, is even more reason the player has what it takes, and would be very popular on Tyneside.

Of course something that both Rangers and Celtic can offer a player that Newcastle cannot is European competition every season, and that’s a big attraction for players, even if the Scottish Premier league is not too high a standard of play.

In England, it’s kind of hard to qualify for Europe these days, although the great Bobby Robson had us in the European Champions League of course.

The English Premier league has all of  its 4 teams into the last 8 of the European Champions League, and it’s now over two seasons since an English side was last beaten in the competition by a team other than another Premier League side – such is the mounting dominance of the English Premier league in Europe these days.

And there’s little doubt that the English domination will become a mounting concern for UEFA, if it continues, but exactly what solution UEFA comes up with is a good question.

But getting back to the impressive Bougherra, the 26 year-old 6’3″ Rangers’ center-back, it does seem that money isn’t everything with at least some players – but probably not too many.

• Toon Sweden77

Mar 13, 2009 at 11:39 AM

Thats OK, dont want another Rangers defender after the last one we had in our side.

• Yellow Belly

Mar 13, 2009 at 11:44 AM

Why are we always linked with centre backs? The partnership of Bassong and Coloccini is the best we have seen in years. What we need is world class defensive midfielder to protect them and take the pressure off. We also have Taylor and Edgar as backups for the above two. The money could be spent in better areas !

• ronaldeano

Mar 13, 2009 at 12:08 PM

Hes crap anyway, dont want him

• Stardust

Mar 13, 2009 at 12:23 PM

YB – Totally agree re bassong Collo – prob because the latter two you name long run arent good enough?

• Prince Bassong

Mar 13, 2009 at 12:25 PM

I don’t understand why we’re linked with these players either. Mark Beevers is younger, taller, stronger, better aerially, almost certainly quicker and cheaper than many players we’ve been linked with.

• Stuart79

Mar 13, 2009 at 12:30 PM

Stardust and Yellow belly

Didyou both really type that Collocini and Bassong are the best partnership in years????

Good god men!

Collocini is massively overpiced at 10m, he makes mistakes every game and if it wasn’t for Bassong them mistakes would cost us even more than they do.

He might bebetter in time but at the moment he’s poor!

• Macas35

Mar 13, 2009 at 1:10 PM

Have to agree with Stuart there. Colocinni still has a lot to do to convince me of his quality. He’s had his good games but has made plenty of mistakes as well. Bit like Steven Taylor really, except he doesn’t get the stick because he’s a more ‘cultured’ player.

• Yellow Belly

Mar 13, 2009 at 2:19 PM

Stuart and Macas35

I disagree, you can see Coloccini is class, but yes he has made the odd mistake but what do you expect with constant bombardment are defence has received this season with the lack of possession in each game. If you put Vidic and Terry in the heart of our defence they would end up making mistakes too. I still unquestionably think Bassong and Coloccini are world class it is just the rest of the f.…ers bar a few.
    If we get a good DM to replace Butt the whole team will step up a level, we would be able to pass and keep possession, if we keep possession it takes the pressure of the defence and they make less mistakes, Sorted! Every great team has a great DM

• Macas35

Mar 13, 2009 at 2:32 PM

A good DM will help but does’nt alter the fact that Colocinni has little pace and is weak in the air.

• Stuart79

Mar 13, 2009 at 2:37 PM

Yellow belly

World class???????

Are they perscription drugs you’re on?

Bassong might be but not yet and Collocini will never be!

• bennytoon

Mar 13, 2009 at 2:55 PM

Champions league or league 1? Hard decision for the lad.

• Shot Bru

Mar 13, 2009 at 3:54 PM

Bougherra is pants.

• sirjasontoon

Mar 13, 2009 at 4:23 PM

Spurs will sign him now..Muppets.

• Tom_Toon

Mar 13, 2009 at 4:59 PM

Did someone mention John Terry.

Probably the most overrated defender in the history of mankind, he looks lost without the best defender in the prem, Carvalho.

• Tom_Toon

Mar 13, 2009 at 5:00 PM

As for Bougherra, thank god he didn’t join, we’d be in a worse position than we are now.

• Brutooon

Mar 14, 2009 at 5:43 AM

Collocini mistake is because we got a crap defensive midfield in the world (nicky butt).

because of nicky butt ageing factor, collocini was usually out of position to stop the attack.

nicky butt is our problem

• Yellow Belly

Mar 14, 2009 at 10:35 AM

Brutooon

Spot on mate, to easy to blame defenders

• Tom_Toon