Michael Owen – Newcastle Is A Special Club

Michael Owen has given a long interview today in the Newcastle Journal and he explains how living in Newcastle and playing for the club, have made him become attached to the Newcastle United club.

joe-kinnear-and-michael

Joe Kinnear with captain Michael Owen

Michael Owen said today:

“I think there is a lot of rubbish that goes on in football with players kissing their badge the whole time, doing this and doing that to appease the fans.”

“The bottom line is we are all human. When I signed for Real Madrid I didn’t love the club, I thought it was a great club to play for and a good career move.”

“It has been said I don’t have an affection for Newcastle. It is also an accusation thrown at foreign players when they come over – that they don’t know what a derby is and so on.”

“To a certain extent it’s true, they haven’t come for the sunshine have they? They’ve come because it’s a good career move and that is the same for me.”

“I was an Everton fan when I was a kid and only wanted to play for Everton until I was about 12, but when you play football for a number of years you fall in love with another team.”

“I wasn’t a Newcastle supporter as a kid and there is no point pretending otherwise.” “But the more you are at a club, the more you know the area, the staff, the supporters and everything about it.”

“You develop an affection for the club and certainly, when I retire, there are two clubs whose results I will look out for and that’s Liverpool and Newcastle.” “It is only when you play for Newcastle and live up here that you realise what a special club it is.”

“The two clubs I’ve played for before, Liverpool and Real Madrid, both had a lot of history and expectations that went with it. But with this being a one-club city, everyone wants you to do well and they are either behind you, or they feel letdown by what they have seen.”

“You can either shrink under the pressure of it or you can use it to your advantage.” “Over the years, even in the four I’ve been here, you’ve seen both edges of that sword.”

“It has been too much for some people who have come up here with big reputations, but the flipside is, if you get it right and you do well, then the supporters will support you.”

“When they are like that, when you have earned that sort of support, God knows where it can take you.”

The rather obvious question that comes out of this part of the interview, is whether Michael will stay at the club beyound the summer, when his contract runs out.   But those questions were off limits during the interview, which is hardly surpising.

We think if Newcastle can put a streak together and get away from the relegation zone, then Michael could surprise a lot of people, and elect to stay on Tyneside.

If he does that, we’ll just have to hope that his injury record in the next four years is a lot better than it’s been, since he signed from Real Madrid in August, 2005.

If he did elect to stay, it would be a huge boost to the Newcastle club, the fans and manager Joe Kinnear.

• Hugh de Payen

Mar 14, 2009 at 9:58 AM

I don’t think he’ll stay but you never know – stranger things have happened.

• JonnyNufc

Mar 14, 2009 at 9:58 AM

Nice to read that, actually comes across as honesty.

Hopefully he’ll prove this is true end of the season…..and keep us up in the process !

• AussieToon

Mar 14, 2009 at 10:22 AM

He should have talked like this a long time ago, is really good to hear this from Michael.

I have never got the impression he felt like Newcastle was his club, and thought he never respected the club and was here because of circumstances and the money….

At least now I don’t have those impressions and really after reading those quotes have a sense that Michael Owen is a Newcastle player and really has lifted my spirits about him.

Good read, and common Newcastle, we need to win tonight!!!

• Wiser_than_wise

Mar 14, 2009 at 10:31 AM

I DON’T WANNA BE RELEGATED NO WAY 🙁 I HAD A NIGHTMARE YESTERDAY THAT WE DID, AND WE WERE CALLED THE 1ST TEAM TO GO DOWN NOT BY POOR PLAYERS OR MONEY BUT BY INCOMPETANCE UPSTAIRS

• Jan Stavik

Mar 14, 2009 at 10:37 AM

He’s off anyway guys, he’s ready to do a Given and head off for City and a much larger pay check then he’d get in Newcastle.

Money talks, loyalty is not so common in todays football.

• komfort

Mar 14, 2009 at 10:40 AM

nice one mo , anyway best of luck to the lads today whoever plays & hope other results go in our favour…feels a bit like cup final day.

• Soren

Mar 14, 2009 at 10:41 AM

Not surprised by Owen here. He hasn’t said otherwise the time he’s been here, and all the stuff about being illoyal have been made up, by the fact that he hasn’t said anything. I think we will stay up, and I really hope/think Owen will stay and move forward with the club. But matches like today is a must win, and staying up will keep the likes of Owen, Martins and such at the club. If do not win today, we are in a heep of trouble, as Arsenal and Chelsea are teams you want to play when you’re confidence is high, and a blow today might spell big trouble.
    But I think we will win today and hope to see Owen and Martins score.
    Howay the Lads!!!

• AndyNUFC

Mar 14, 2009 at 10:45 AM

The only reason he would stay is because there’s not really another team in the premier league that he could play for which are better than us. Man City etc all have better strikers, except possibly Everton, but I don’t particularly rate Owen.

No way should he start today. Sub at 60mins.

• Stardust

Mar 14, 2009 at 11:12 AM

I agree with his comments 100% but therein I see a weakness. Its up to the supporters to support all of the time – not just when its going right. When in the ground every mistake is greeted with an “Arrrggghhh” en mass – that has to change for us to get back tot he top.

Time for us all to support, support , support.

• sirjasontoon

Mar 14, 2009 at 11:22 AM

Nervous today,less waffle boys and 3 points,Toon!

• clinta

Mar 14, 2009 at 1:34 PM

i’m not really concerned if he stays or goes to b honest, as long as we can get someone in as a replacement.

I’d rather see some young hungry player on a fraction of his wages.