Alan Suddick Dies Of Cancer At 64

Sad news this morning that former Newcastle United player, Alan Suddick, has passed away at the age of 64, after a brave fight against cancer.

alan-suddick-3

Alan Suddick this is how we remember him

I personally remember Alan Suddick very well as a youngster at the Newcastle United club, because we played in the same Newcastle United Junior side back in 1961. In those days the team was known as the Newcastle “N”s.

Suddick used to be known in those days as “Sooty”, and of course he made his Newcastle United debut at the age of 17 years and 158 days in 1961, and at the time was the youngest player ever to play for the side.

And his play was little less than sensational, after he made his debut, and he quickly made a name for himself. I always remember being a little surprised that a player we had played with in the Juniors, was such a phenomenal success for the first team at the time, but Sooty certainly had skills galore.

Suddick was born in Chester-le-Street in 1944, and was a left winger who had sublime skills, and was a real character off the field, and was always ready for a laugh. It was hard to be serious around Sooty, because he always made you laugh.

Alan played a total of 144 games for Newcastle and scored 41 goals, before joining Blackpool in 1966 for a then record fee of £60K.

Suddick went on to score 76 goals in 348 games for the Seasiders, and became a legend there.

We offer our sincere sympathies to Alan’s family and friends – he was a great guy and a wonderful footballer.

• Martin

Mar 16, 2009 at 4:30 PM

I probably saw every home game Alan played in, as well as a few away and I remember him display great skills. However the most outstanding memory was his novel way of dealing with a defensive wall. We had been awarded a free kick just outside the opposing penalty box with the wall refusing to retreat the required 10 yards, so Alan ran behind the wall and pulled down the shorts of the defender in question, much to the amusment of the crowd. A very effective tactic.

• murvar

Mar 16, 2009 at 4:47 PM

I watched many of his games at Blackpool where I lives as a kid. I remember his debut, especially for a cushioned header he directed down the line for the winger to run onto from a bullet clearance by a desperate defender. He went on for years and was indeed a legend there even though it didn’t take much to be a legend at Blackpool after Alan Ball left. There was a flurry of transfer activity between the clubs around that time: Tony Green went to St James’s and Keith Dyson followed Alan to Bloomfield Road.

• sirjasontoon

Mar 16, 2009 at 4:49 PM

RIP Alan.

• workyticket

Mar 16, 2009 at 4:51 PM

Martin // Mar 16, 2009 at 4:30 PM

“We had been awarded a free kick just outside the opposing penalty box with the wall refusing to retreat the required 10 yards, so Alan ran behind the wall and pulled down the shorts of the defender in question, much to the amusment of the crowd.”

Oh aye, it was him! I heard about that one. I wasn’t old enough to see him playing for Newcastle sadly, but I can just remember him playing for Blackpool (I was about eleven or twelve). He seemed to be a bit of a hero there too.

RIP Alan.

• sirjasontoon

Mar 16, 2009 at 4:59 PM

Great stories Lads..well before my time.
    Sounds like a right character !

• geordie jock

Mar 16, 2009 at 5:22 PM

The players in the present side couldn’t lace Alan’s boots. Sirjason your’e right he was a right character and he also played in a team that wouldn’t lie down and die like today and he did it all for a pittance.
    Alan Suddick RIP

• nolantoon

Mar 16, 2009 at 5:24 PM

hi lads , new to all this , so take it easy on me, i agree great stories but a bit before my time too, i have been reading this blog for a while now and have decided to let my voice be heard to, especially after the shambles on saturday. mid field waslike a jigsaw, …… in bits

• Geordiedoonsooth

Mar 16, 2009 at 6:17 PM

Martin we were playing Bury when Suddick pulled down the defenders shorts at a freekick. Bury were defending the Leazes end goal & I was there with my mates the whole end burst out laughing. He was a great player so sad, 64 isn’t old these days

• batty

Mar 16, 2009 at 6:20 PM

nolantoon ithink the problem is most of our midfeild is made up ov the same sort ov players a lot ov so called battlers and no decent attacking midfeilders and i say so called because they are not doing much battleing at the moment

• jimiley

Mar 16, 2009 at 6:30 PM

I saw a lot of Alan’s games and he was avery good player. It is a great shame he has died so young.
    Probably watching our midfield muppets playing brought it on. He was a much better player than any of them.
    And now for the good news. That well known intelliegnt owner MA will persevere with avery sick manager and the chuckle brothers because he has every confidence in them. That sort of comment just fills you with a warm glow doesn’t it, content in the knowledge that the club is in sound hands. Shame I won’t be watching the chuckles and filling MAs coffers next season.

• marshy

Mar 16, 2009 at 7:48 PM

a great player indeed which of course is why newcastle sold him.my thoughts are with his family.

• Rodzilla

Mar 16, 2009 at 8:01 PM

RIP Alan. I’m too young to remember him playing too, but can remember knocking about with his sons Frazer and Jarrod in Appletree Gardens in West Monkseaton – around 77-81, I seem to remember he had a younger daughter as well, Keeley. Long time ago now. My thoughts go out to his family in this difficult time.

• beyethegreat

Mar 16, 2009 at 8:39 PM

before my time sounds a great player

rip alan

• nolantoon

Mar 16, 2009 at 9:06 PM

batty; i agree,all talk no action, i have said for a long time we need a forward thinking mid fielder, what we have are slow or old or cannot pass to save their lives, i think we need some fresh legs in there, maybe lua lua is the answer.

RIP Alan

• Toon Graeme

Mar 16, 2009 at 9:37 PM

RIP Alan

Just got back from ressies and kicked evertons bside 2-1

• batty

Mar 16, 2009 at 9:50 PM

Toon Graeme did lua lua play m8

• Doocey

Mar 16, 2009 at 9:52 PM

What a footballer.
    RIP

• Toon Graeme

Mar 16, 2009 at 10:00 PM

Batty – soz for reply – eating toast.

Aye mate 90 mins. We were getting beat in the first half. DOnt know what Richard Money said at half time but is was like battle time 101 on the pitch. Unlike Hughtons on Saturday!!

Saw Jonas in the crowd – small bloke like. Then again Im six foot odd so thats easy. He was smilling, cheering on and signing autos and getting pics taken. Made some kids nights meeting him – which is good.

Mark Donninger and Ranger the scorers.

Lua Lua had a good night. I also like Baheng and Danquar.

• batty

Mar 16, 2009 at 10:06 PM

Toon Graeme just wonderd like because weve got nowt to lose by playing him in the first team at least he might get some crosses in like the only attacking midfeilder we got is duff and he runs round in circles sometimes all the other midfielders are very similar

• Toon Graeme

Mar 16, 2009 at 10:35 PM

Batty – I know what you mean mate and what adds to my already heightened sense of pi$$ed offness to the NUFC league position is how our reserves can do so well! I know there is a HUGE difference between the two but al least we can celebrate victories and not just losses and draws!

Howay the lads on the Saturday.

So wanted to break into song for Gutierrez – but would have looked like a right tool.

• batty

Mar 16, 2009 at 10:39 PM

Toon Graeme weve got nowt to lose by giveing some of them a go m8

• batty

Mar 16, 2009 at 10:40 PM

think we should play 10 up front and rush goaly against arsenal ha

• dougnufc

Mar 16, 2009 at 10:44 PM

RIP

• Toon Graeme

Mar 16, 2009 at 10:46 PM

A player with ambition is more dangerous that a regular starter. He got some skills to improve on – but time and experience will hopefully bear fruit. Defo one for the future.

No doubt I will be up at 4 again stressing about the toon.

Take it easy Batty.

• kizza

Mar 16, 2009 at 10:50 PM

this may sound stupid but i need to know if im crazy or not….

Does anyone else think steven taylor could be a brilliant striker. he has the build to keep position and out-muscle players to the ball, he has passion and an eye for goal. he scores. he heads the ball well (comes from being a defender).

I also remember him saying he started off as a striker.

and his goals always earns the points. hull, everton, arsenal last season…i think.

Am i crazy?

• jimiley

Mar 16, 2009 at 11:34 PM

Not good that ther are only 26 posts about Alan Suddick. Too many juvenile know alls on this blog who will no doubt be asking for “patience”…… until we get relegated. I’ve seen a few NUFC relegation teams and this one and its manager are right up there.

• IrishMan

Mar 16, 2009 at 11:54 PM

kizza,

You have a good point there. May be much better using Taylor up front instead of Ameobi, once we have good cover at the back. I wonder, if you excluded penalties, how the goals per game ratio compared between Ameobi and Taylor. One would expect that it should be AT LEAST three times as good for striker in any normal team.

• mcvicar

Mar 17, 2009 at 12:12 AM

im to young to remember alan but how sad that the last nufc team etc hes seen is the 1 thats taking us down him and others deserve much better

• Ross

Mar 17, 2009 at 12:16 AM

Toon Graeme-you sure Jonas wasnt just sitting down mate? haha. You must be a canny size because i’m sure he’s over the 6ft mark!
    Glad to hear the reserves played well though-as per usual when we’ve got the youths in there. Richard Money seems to be doing a fine job with them. Can only hope for the fighting performance we saw against Man Utd for the chelski and arsenal games. Infuriating that we wont do the same against the likes of Hull though. I think we’re catching Arsenal at a bad time aswell, they seem to be on a decent run of form league wise. Eduardo returning and banging them in quickly, Walcott returning, Arshavin looking incredibly impressive too. Had it been a few weeks ago and should the newcastle united that we saw against manure have turned up, i’d have fancied us to get something from that game, now i dunno. Chelsea also the same, new manager in and they’re going through that “new burst of life” phase. Think we have to prepare ourselves for the fact that we could be in an incredibly awkward position by the time the stoke game rolls round-most probably bottom 3.

• Ross

Mar 17, 2009 at 12:19 AM

I’ll also try and rectify my somewhat ignorant behaviour by mentioning Alan Suddick after my first post on this story. Like alot of others i’m far too young to have seen him play, but if the free kick story martin told was a description of his personality in general then it seems like a real character has been sadly lost. RIP.

• Bill F

Mar 17, 2009 at 12:30 AM

Kizza I have been saying much the same for some time , at least give him a go as an attacking mf, can’t be any worse than Butt, Geremi or Smith.
    I was an ardent fan when Alan was playing but can’t remember the shorts incident, could be down to senility though. I do remember he was a class act for us. I do remember speaking to one of the fans of one of his subsequent clubs asking how he was doing an getting a negative answer, which rather me annoyed at the time. It must have been after his blackpool days. I have to agree that 64 is more like middle age now and one should be looking for quite a few good years yet. I have to say that I am attending too many funerals of people younger than this at the moment, not pleasant.

• workyticket

Mar 17, 2009 at 1:36 AM

An excellent little piece about “The Durham Daddler” in Toonarama.

• ronaldeano

Mar 17, 2009 at 8:05 AM

RIP Alan

• Ericles

Mar 17, 2009 at 8:48 AM

RIP Alan. Oh how I wish we still had your skills at NUFC. I watched you play and felt a bond because we were the same age. You could enchant the crowd with your ball play and intelligence and are sadly missed. There was a great disappointment on Tyneside when you departed for Blackpool. As I said – I wish we still had the likes of Geordies like you playing in the stripes. Condolences to Alan’s family.
    Howay the lads, we will come again for sure.

• Ericles

Mar 17, 2009 at 9:10 AM

I agree with jimiley’s sentiments wholeheartedly. Alan was hopefully the replacement for George Eastham’s skills (another whose head was turned by the beckoning lights of Arsenal and London). It is not just at NUFC that footballing skills are in decline. It is right throughout the game. That is why so many young fans actually believe that Gerrard is (according to equally misinformed media pundits) the best player in the world. I would put the quality of Allchurch, Mitchell, Shackleton, Jimmy McIlroy (Burnley) and Bobby Robson up against him any day. I would certainly put Alan Suddick up alongside Gazza, Waddle and Beardsley too. We need more than memories now considering the forgettables we have got to rely on in a relegation fight.

• Pons Aelius

Mar 17, 2009 at 9:15 AM

It’s very interesting to see the comments of those who watched Alan play. He was before my time, but to see him rated alongside the players I have seen (Waddle, Gazza, Beardsley etc) means he must have been fantastic.

RIP Alan.

• Ericles

Mar 17, 2009 at 9:28 AM

You might be right Kizza. Why not try Steven up front as a striker? He has the build and obvious appetite for it. I bet Hughton has not thought about it though! Perhaps his goals will get us promoted from the Coca Cola – after all Owen won’t be here.

• coyote

Mar 17, 2009 at 10:00 AM

RIP Alan

I was at the game with the shorts incident and I’m pleased someone remembered who the opposition was cos I couldn’t it must be old age setting in
    It made headlines that weekend and certainly showed his character – we could do with 11 like him now thats for sure

• harry861

Mar 17, 2009 at 10:02 AM

I remember Alan very good player & his heart was in Newcastle more than I can say about most of players in to day team. My Condolences go with Alan’s Family may God go with you Alan.

Changing the subject
    I have advocated that Steven Taylor should been given a trial as a Striker weeks ago. My wife is better than Amoebi & she’s & 76 years old, well that’s what I think about him !!