Joe Enrique Made Of The Right Stuff

Jose Enrique has come out today and said some truthful things about where the Newcastle club is right now, and he wants Newcastle United to step up their intensity levels in order to pull away from the relegation zone, where Newcastle are currently joint 3rd bottom.

jose-enrqiue-erere

Jose Enrique – Newcastle must step up to the plate

The Spaniard admitted like many other Newcastle players on Saturday, his performance in the first half was just not good enough, and that the draw has done little to convince Tyneside fans that Newcastle are capable this season of avoiding the drop.

Relegation would be a complete and utter disaster this season for the Newcastle club – and we don’t believe, like some Newcastle fans, there’s anything good that would come out of it.

We now have Arsenal and Chelsea coming up, and the likelihood is that we will suffer two defeats in those games. Certainly if we play like we did last Saturday, there’s no question about that.

The former La Liga star told the Evening Chronicle today:

“The only thing that will get us out of it is 100% intensity, and that includes training.

“There are games coming up that we have to win.”

And when asked of his assessment of the poor 1-1 draw with Hull City, Enrique said:

“I think in the first half we did nothing.”  “In the second half we played a little bit better.”

“I felt I needed to play better personally, much better.”  “In the first half we didn’t defend very well and we lost the ball too much.”

“The only thing we did was equalise when Steven Taylor scored.”

With all the lead-in to the game and that it was a must-win game for Newcastle, we just don’t understand why the players didn’t even turn up until after 30 minutes, and by then Newcastle were 1-0 down – it just wasn’t good enough.

But with results working in Newcastle’s favour  on Saturday, this will likely camouflage just how badly Newcastle missed an opportunity to get all 3 points.

We shouldn’t be looking at other teams right now, but we should be trying to win every single game.  To say we move up a place in the league, when we are joint 3rd bottom, is not something we should be talking about.

Jose Enrique admits there was little comfort that Newcastle nudged up to 16th place in the league as the Spaniard said:

“This is the one positive. A point is better than nothing, but we needed to win because we now have a very difficult game at home to Arsenal.”

“One point is not so bad, but this situation is no good. We needed three points.”

“With this team I thought we could win – we didn’t and we must move forward, now we can’t do anything about Hull.”

We like Enrique’s character and fighting temperament, and he’s put in a number of more than decent performances of late.

That’s what we need from our bigger stars, otherwise the unthinkable may just happen, and we’ll be relegated, and we’ll deserve it That’s not being negative, but facing up to the reality of what could happen if the lads don’t wake up soon.

• sirjasontoon

Mar 16, 2009 at 1:42 PM

Like Enrique,good attitude and would probably come on leaps and bounds in a decent side..same with Milner,N’Zogbia who have improved since leaving our Club.

I can’t see the following players here next season:
    Martins,Enrique,Owen,Bassong,Collo,S.Taylor,Harper,Duffer,Beye,Jonas to name a few..dread to imagine next seasons starting 11.

• Toon Graeme

Mar 16, 2009 at 1:42 PM

Dont get me wrong but have we not heard this all before – were into the final stretch of the season now and issues like this should have been nipped in the bud months before now.

I like Enrique aka ‘The Bull’ and he teams up well with Jonas – he makes a few blunders, but who doesnt eh?

• RyanToon

Mar 16, 2009 at 1:55 PM

IM SORRY BUT IM GETTING HACKED OFF WITH OUR PLAYERS TALKING A GOOD GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO AND DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Bosck

Mar 16, 2009 at 1:58 PM

To be fair Graeme, we havent actually heard this before. all the other players have tried to put a good spin on it. enrique has been honest and said they werent good enough 1st half and were only slightly better 2nd, the only bright poin of the game being taylors goal. refreshing attitude really rather than trying to find false positives

• sirjasontoon

Mar 16, 2009 at 2:17 PM

There are no positives at the moment no matter how dig you deep or how much spin the players decide to spout before games.

“Hull is a hard place to get a result” C Houghton.

WTF !!

• sirjasontoon

Mar 16, 2009 at 2:20 PM

I suppose we are still “moving forwards together in 09” M Ashley..let’s rephrase that.

“Moving downwards Together in 09”

Jokers.

• Rodzilla

Mar 16, 2009 at 2:20 PM

Correction SJT. There are a FEW positives – we’re still in the Premiership, and almost have a full squad back for selection. I admit it’s pretty sh1te but we ain’t down and out yet mate.

• sirjasontoon

Mar 16, 2009 at 2:27 PM

Rodzilla..Being in the premiership (at the moment)does not amount to a few positives.

The current side being in the premiership has nothing to do with what has happened in recent years that groundwork was done many years ago and has slowly been ran into the ground..at the moment we are lucky to still be in the premiership after seasons of flirting with danger.

I fail to see any real positives right now,the appointment of JK,Calderwood and Houghton is a total insult to Newcastle supporters and the football that we are being fed is nowhere near premiership quality.

• clinta

Mar 16, 2009 at 2:30 PM

To be honest while the team is not in any form and has had a really poor season it’s not a huge surprise.

First we have a poor manager whose not up to the job, and the other main reason is that we simple have a lot of very AVERAGE players at the club, including a lot signed recently that everyone raves about.

Okay we have a handful of really talented players but the likes of guthrie, barton, nolan, r taylor, jonas and lovenblahblah are simply AVERAGE.

People on here and at the club big them up but proof of a player is how they perform and these guys don’t.

It’s proof of how far we’ve fallen being chuffed over getting nolan and r. taylor through the door this window.

that said were wasting our time if we don’t first try and get a decent manager, ed you talk about sticking with JK and stability, yeah well consistently average foe years to come is stable i guess?.!

• sirjasontoon

Mar 16, 2009 at 2:34 PM

The appointments of the managerial staff has been a huge mistake these are not the right managers to organise,develop and produce watchable premiership football…so what does Mike do supposedly offer them all new contacts and JK a million pound bonus if we survive…you couldn’t make that up could you?

• clinta

Mar 16, 2009 at 2:38 PM

To be far though SJT theres only been a handful of decent football matches played by our lot since Sir Bobby left, it’s not just a new trend, more a gradual annual slide.

• sirjasontoon

Mar 16, 2009 at 2:40 PM

I am just being realistic..these players and so called hero’s will desert us once we are relagated and trust me the championship is a tuff division to climb back out of..you have 90% of teams that believe they can win the divison and 10% that will battle to survive…playing our kids next season (as most of the senior players will be offski) in the championship they will be in for a rude awakening!

• sirjasontoon

Mar 16, 2009 at 2:42 PM

Clinta..a few decent matches in how many seasons?
    How many times this season have we travelled well?Hammered a team?Played great for a full match?Killed a team off?Played a team off the park?Showed some consistency?

• sirjasontoon

Mar 16, 2009 at 2:46 PM

Clinta totally agree with the average signings as well..squad players at best..even Jonas hasn’t impressed me apart from a decent work rate..he doesnt seem to have the craft to change a game.

Nolan had not had a decent game in 18 months when we signed him and R.Taylor apart from scoring against us a few times I am not really sure of his ability or if he is any good.

• clinta

Mar 16, 2009 at 2:47 PM

I also wonder how great our new youth are. I’m all for emphasis on youth just wondering if all these guys we ‘managed to capture’ are any good or just a lot of lads no one else where ever really in for.

time will tell on that one i guess?

I’m flying back over to London in a few weeks and was thinking of popping up to SJP for a game while there, don’t think i’ll bother this time though like, hardly worth the money.

That said they’ve never lost a game I’ve watched live so perhaps i’m that lucky charm they need- only ever seen the toon 4 times, 3 at SJP, once at fulham.

• Johno Toon

Mar 16, 2009 at 2:55 PM

Sirjasontoon how many games have you seen Nolan in to know he has not had a decent game in 18 months?

• Rodzilla

Mar 16, 2009 at 3:01 PM

sirjasontoon // Mar 16, 2009 at 2:34 PM

“If you are in doubt look at the premiership table..scroll down…almost all the way down get a ruler and follow the stats across it makes for difficult reading.”

…no need to be patronising SJT – I’m more than fully aware of the performances and remaining fixtures of us and the teams around us. I understand you have a lot of gripes – so do I, but as clinta says, we’ve been pretty poor for the last 5 years. I can’t make any impact on what happens with our fate so I’ll just continue to cross my fingers until the end of May. If we get relegated I won’t be queuing up for the cat-o-nine-tails either because I demonstrated optimism and we still went down.

• sirjasontoon

Mar 16, 2009 at 3:39 PM

Sorry Rodzilla..that wasn’t meant to be patronising to you and sorry if it came across that way..it was unintentional fella.

• Rodzilla

Mar 16, 2009 at 3:51 PM

OK mate, no worries 😀

• Rodzilla

Mar 16, 2009 at 3:57 PM

I’ve been keeping an eye on all the remaining fixtures of the bottom 6 (ish) for a month or so now, I admit we do look even dicier now than ever. Stoke play the smoggies this weekend as well, could do with a draw there really – and Everton to win at Pompey. I think a draw against Arsenal is possible, but more likely we’ll get one against Chelsea I reckon.

….gona be a nail-biting end to the season that’s for sure.

• sirjasontoon

Mar 16, 2009 at 5:06 PM

Cool Mate…wouldn’t come on here and rile up fellow fans Rodzilla not my bag..part from Stardust (only messin fella).

The players may spring us a few surprises…looking at the way they played at Hull I am not holding my breath.

I have a gut feeling we will be too much in the thick of it after the chelsea game.

• Waldo P. Barnstormer

Mar 16, 2009 at 5:58 PM

I watched the Man U game and could not belive what I was watching.

Saw Hull Reserves game last tuesday and saw some good kids with bad managers issuing bad instructions (where was Richard Money?). And trying long ball pish. There is so much rotten in the way we play at all levels its unreal.

Saw the Hull match on Satda and was amazed at

1 the selection of Butt in the middle and Geremi on the right. This will upset a few people but we have played better the last few weeks with him in the middle (the end at Bolton and Man U).

2 the selection of Owen the bloke was not firing before his injury and with no match practice in the reserves or anywhere else for that matter. And boy did he look out of it.

3 The subs where poorly thought out and badly timed.

4 playing 4-4-1-1, We didnt even try to go for the win and to be fair never even looked like we’d get it.

I cant see us getting enough points to stay up as we will need, I think 3 wins. and we have only won 6 all season.

Keeping faith in the chuckle brothers till the end of the season will prove disasterous and to keep on with Kinnear next year we will not come close to coming back up.

• sirjasontoon

Mar 16, 2009 at 7:11 PM

All good points.

• Jan Stavik

Mar 16, 2009 at 8:15 PM

We’ll go down, and we deserve to.

The club has been run terribly bad the last decade, we’re playing bad football with overpaid cr@p players on awfully high wages. We’ve got no set style of play, we’re not creating chances and we’re conceding sloppy goals.

There are a few teams that are even worse than NUFC these days, that the only reason NUFC might stay up.

• Tom_Toon

Mar 16, 2009 at 8:48 PM

I like Enrique, he has talent and actually gives a toss.

He looked mightly p***ed off after the Hull game.

Agree with above, Nolan has been poor and Ryan Taylor has been 3x worse. Lovenkrands has been decent upfront but rubbish on the wing.

• Jan Stavik

Mar 16, 2009 at 9:29 PM

Nolan poor? He had a good game against the dirty mackems.

Enrique has improved a lot lately, fine player who will go back to Spain if we go down. At least we’ll get some money to buy some new cr@ppy players then. Or money to pay silly wages to Smith, Viduka, Owen, Geremi, Butt etc…

• Tom_Toon

Mar 16, 2009 at 9:32 PM

Yes, Nolan is poor compared to Barton and Guthrie and has not been the same player for 2 years.

• Rodzilla

Mar 16, 2009 at 10:36 PM

Nolan played best (more attacking) for Bolton when he had Ivan Campo to back him up at the base of midfield. He isn’t any worse a player, just been playing in a different formation. I’ll be glad to have him back anyway. How about this formation?

—————-Harper—————–

Beye——-Colo—Bassong—Enrique

—————-S Taylor—————-

Martins—Bart/Guth—–Nolan—-Spidey

—————–Owen——————

• Tom_Toon

Mar 16, 2009 at 10:48 PM

Martins hates the wing and Barton and Guthrie should be the central midfield. Steven Taylor has never play DM and I bet he wont be able to, his reaidng of the game is his worse trait and that is the trait you need to have most to be a great DM.

• Rodzilla

Mar 16, 2009 at 11:22 PM

I couldn’t give a monkey’s what Martins likes, just thought it was an idea to accommodate Taylor, that was different to my Taylor as centre forward suggestion on a previous post. Who would you play against Arsenal then Tom_Toon? Despite my more adventurous suggestions, I’d probably go…

——————-Harper—————–

Beye———Colo-—Bassong—-Enrique

Spidey—Guthrie—–Nolan—-Loving grans

——–Owen————Martins——

(I’ve switched Spidey back over to the right in the hope that he’d be able to cross better with his right foot) I don’t expect you to agree with anything I say though TT 🙂

• Tom_Toon

Mar 16, 2009 at 11:25 PM

Lovenkrands looks like a lost puppy on the wing. He is simply horrendous there.

Harper
    Saylor-Colo-Bassong-Enrique
    Lualua-Butt-Nolan-Jonas
    Owen-Martins

Give Beye, Guthrie and Duff time in order to put a fully MATCH FIT line-up v Chelsea of:

Harper
    Beye-Taylor-Bassong-Enrique
    Lualua/Duff-Guthrie-Nolan/Butt-Jonas
    Owen-Martins

• Tom_Toon

Mar 16, 2009 at 11:26 PM

Actually, I may be tempted to play Lovenkands just off Martins in either game instead of Owen.

• Rodzilla

Mar 16, 2009 at 11:54 PM

…see you’ve lost faith in Coloccini (dropping him for Taylor). Is that your ideal back four then? I’d be reluctant to break up the Coloccini-Bassong partnership as they’ve been together for a while now.

Also I’ve never watched the reserves but I’ve heard Lua Lua is pretty effective in that position – from what I’ve heard he sounds more of a threat than Duff, who I’ve seen have one (maybe 2) good games this season.

• Tom_Toon

Mar 16, 2009 at 11:57 PM

Mr Dilly Dally Coloccini, yes, I’d drop him, I dont even want Taylor at CB, I’d play Kadar if he was fit but he aint, unfortunately.

Duff flatters to deceive, his whole game is: Run forward 10 yrds, dribble in a circle, pass back, repeat for 90 mins.

• Rodzilla

Mar 17, 2009 at 12:12 AM

hahaha, yes, that’s Duff. If only he could re-gain his Blackburn form. Anyway I’m off, night……………