Good Arsenal Result Could Be Newcastle SpringBoard To Safety

Coach Chris Hughton is well aware that the next two games for Newcastle will be very tough.

chris-hughton-colin-calderwood

Chris Hughton with Colin Calderwood at WBA game

And that’s because we face Arsenal, currently 4th in the league, and then Chelsea, currently second in the Premier League, in our next two home games, starting this coming Saturday.

We face Arsenal this Saturday, but then it is two weeks before we face Chelsea in our next game, so let’s hope we can get a result against the Gunners. Another defeat will be really hard to take for the next two weeks if that happens.

Newcastle coach Chris Hughton believes that a positive result on Saturday could well kick-start our quest for safety, as he said today:

“The next two will be very tough, no doubt about it,”   “But we can look at them in another way and say that a positive result could act as a springboard for the last seven or eight games.”

“We showed against Man United what we can do to teams at St.James’ Park, regardless of the opposition.”

“That game gave us a lot of belief and we must take that into the next two matches.”   “Every point counts and we must view every game as a chance to get three points.”

“It’s also important to remember there is still almost a quarter of the season left to play and a lot of points to play for.”

We expect Newcastle to put in a strong performance against Arsenal, but whether we can get anything out of the game is dubious right now. One key to winning the game is to be able to convert any half chances we get, which we were unable to do last Saturday.

There’s no doubt that a result against Arsenal, and especially a win, will do Newcastle fans a a power of good, because we’ve then got two weeks before our next game at home to Chelsea.

We can at least bask in the glory of a win, which is rare these days. Newcastle have just one win in the last 13 games played, so we’re due one, that’s for sure.

The two weeks until the Chelsea game will also give time for some of our injured players, especially Joey Barton, to get closer to full fitness, for the final run-in to the season. Joey, Mark Viduka (yes, he’s injured yet again), and Ignacio Gonzalez (remember him), are all 3 weeks away from returning, according to Physioroom.com.

So we’ll soon have Joey and Ignacio to swell our central midfield ranks, although we have brought Kevin Nolan in during January, because of the injury Joey picked up in the game at at Manchester City.

Uruguayan International Ignacio Gonzalez, who is more than a decent player, has been injured since early September, so he hasn’t been much use to Newcastle this season, having appeared only twice. And we cannot help but think we should have let him return to Valencia in January.

But perhaps in the last few games of the season, he could make a positive impact for Newcastle, and if he can do that and help us survive, then his loan spell will have been worth it – in retrospect.

Certainly our Uruguayan readers seem to be very keen on the player.

• magforlife

Mar 17, 2009 at 5:20 PM

It wouldnt be as tough if Hughton had made the most of the Hull game but he blew it with his bewildering tactics and substitiutions

• Stuart79

Mar 17, 2009 at 5:23 PM

That’s what Hughton is at the club for- He must make Ashley laugh, cos he sure cracks me up

• danuneek

Mar 17, 2009 at 5:32 PM

If we beat Arsenal I’ll eat my arm.

• SpartanChris

Mar 17, 2009 at 5:42 PM

We’ve had some good performances against Arsenal – howay the lads.

• sirjasontoon

Mar 17, 2009 at 5:44 PM

See who can come up with the best caption.

Claderwood “Chris do you know what you are doing?”

Chris “Does it look like it?”

• sirjasontoon

Mar 17, 2009 at 5:45 PM

“That game gave us a lot of belief and we must take that into the next two matches.” ”Every point counts and we must view every game as a chance to get three points.”

Why didn’t you take it into the Hull match Chris?
    Did you leave it on the coach?

Muppet!

• komfort

Mar 17, 2009 at 5:46 PM

danuneek , if we cant beat hull were not gonna beat the arsenal….arms remain intact.

Mar 17, 2009 at 5:47 PM

”But we can look at them in another way and say that a positive result blah blah blah blah games.”

“We showed against Man United what we can do blah blah blah”

…must admit, I’m getting a bit bored with it all now. If all this talk actually made a difference fair enough – but it didn’t against Bolton or Hull.

BTW, does anyone else think Hughton looks like a man on Death Row in that pic? I only hope his facial expression isn’t one of clairvoyance.

(danuneek, would you like fries with that?)

• batty

Mar 17, 2009 at 5:48 PM

well like i sed before i cant see us loseing 3 home games in a row

• komfort

Mar 17, 2009 at 5:51 PM

rodzilla , he looks like he’s shitting himself..sad really.

• batty

Mar 17, 2009 at 5:51 PM

and surley oba is due to score

Mar 17, 2009 at 5:55 PM

…not the best body language in the world for players of a relegation-threatened team komfort.

We’ve got to be due some goals batty, been dry for far too long. I just hope we stop hoofing the ball up to the dwarven strikers, or put a big lad there who can get on the end and hold it up (S. Taylor anyone? 😉

Mar 17, 2009 at 5:56 PM

…is Viduka still fkd?

Mar 17, 2009 at 6:01 PM

BTW, I just mentioned on a previous post that there’s no Fabregas, Rosicky and doubts over Almunia, Adebayor, Eduardo AND more importantly Arshavin.

We’ve got nearly a full squad back now and we’re a VERY wounded animal. I’m definately not writing us off at 5/1 shots – and danuneek, I’d keep the ketchup handy 😉

…be interesting to see who Arse in Vinegar plays against Hull tonight as well, although I’m sure it’ll be the ‘kids’, and they’ll walk all over them.

Mar 17, 2009 at 6:05 PM

…fk me sideways – Hull are 11/1 to beat Arsenal tonight! Although I still think they’ll lose.

…cup game though (?)

• JP...from The Rock

Mar 17, 2009 at 6:06 PM

Hughton shut up please!!

Your tactics are worse than Souness’s and that’s saying something!!

This guy had better stick to coaching and leave the manager’s role to someone who knows a thing or two about football. It makes me wonder if this guy is just as bad with his coaching drills.

How on earth could he pick Owen with no match practice ahead of an inform Lovenkrands who has been looking really sharp since he arrived. He was also starting to get an understanding with Martins in our attack which looked good.

Not only did he do that but Hughton bringing in Ameobi later on in the match was extremely infuriating and WTF was Carroll on the bench for?? He surely didn’t intend to use them both, if so I would still pick Lovenkrands first everytime.

And what about that pathetic midfield choice. Smith, Butt and Geremi all on at the same time!! This guy surely doesn’t know what he’s doing. The longer he stays in charge the more sleepless nights I have. Mike Ashley u ignorant prick get a manager with knowledge and a wealth of experience to help sort out the mess you made.

I respect Joe Kinnear for sticking his neck out for the club at this time of crisis but he won’t be back soon and we need someone in now not in April!!! We also have to have stability at the club and a long term manager should be seriously considered NOW, Joe Kinnear I thank you for at least trying to help but get well soon and goodbye.

This season has been a drain to every Newcastle fan out there and the amount of stupid decisions made by these idiots that run the club make me sick and worse by the day. It’s unbearable and I am really worried to see were the club is and the way were playing. It just doesn’t help the cause when these fools can’t even pick the appropriate team to do the business.

Are we fans the only ones that can see that Butt, Smith, Ameobi, Geremi and possibly Carroll are squad players at best meaning…
    EMERGENCY ONLY!! WHEN OUR BEST PLAYERS ARE NOT AVAILABLE ONLY!!!

I would even try sticking in Lua Lua in midfield to see him create something if he can, at least with that kid you know he’s going to try and has the legs to do it. Instead of Ameobi and Carroll I would try Nile Ranger on the bench who has been explosive for the reserves this season.

We should really try to run the club…us fans need to but this club in a way and take control of things ourselves as I see that being the only way because this disgraceful board is clueless and is embarrassing for the club and us fans..DAMN I HATE THIS SEASON AFTER ALL THE HIGH HOPES!!! LET DOWN AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!!!

• Robby Bobson

Mar 17, 2009 at 6:11 PM

Hughton doesnt have a clue. ITs not really is fault as he is not a manager, but still thrown into a relegation battle. The midfield was so shockig against Hull, especially Geremi over Ryan Taylor. Taylor is not the best player in the world, but it is hard to find a better set peice taker (for crossing) in the league.

Also Lovenkrands should have played over Owen. We need players who will cause problems by themselves as we have no creativity, and Owen will not do that.

Hopefuly Arshavin is out as there is no doubt that he WILL destroy us.

Sounds wierd, but i think a high money cheeky approach for Roeder to get us out of the relegation fight may be in order until the end of the season. He did it forus the first time, then did it for Norwich in his first seasons. Just make sure he leaves at the end of the season.

• Widowmaker

Mar 17, 2009 at 6:17 PM

I am just hoping Sir Bobby would come back managing us until the end of the season!

Mar 17, 2009 at 6:22 PM

Robby, I agree Roeder coming in would certainly be better than the two we currently have, although when he helped us out I’m sure he also had Shearer beside him. I honestly think all the ‘new manager’ hopes are just that though – hopes. It looks to me like the ONLY thing that’s gona help us survive is the 11 (debatable) men on the pitch, and of course the 12th in the crowd should have a positive impact.

• Dragonera

Mar 17, 2009 at 6:22 PM

Hopefully Arshavin plays today and aggrevates his foot injury.

• JP...from The Rock

Mar 17, 2009 at 6:24 PM

Widowmaker- I would wet my pants if Sir Bobby came back to rescue us this season 😀

Mar 17, 2009 at 6:25 PM

JP – I would soil mine

Mar 17, 2009 at 6:27 PM

*(as a mark of respect, obviously)

• Widowmaker

Mar 17, 2009 at 6:28 PM

I am dead desperate now. 🙁

• JP...from The Rock

Mar 17, 2009 at 6:30 PM

I am going to head down to church now and light up a candle with a prayer to Sir Bobby coming back to save us 😛

• Widowmaker

Mar 17, 2009 at 6:32 PM

I will become a buddhist if that helps. 🙂

Mar 17, 2009 at 6:34 PM

Widowmaker , yeah we all are mate. It looks like we’re stuck with CH, CC and JK to get us out of this mess though. I’m sure if Ashley considered bringing someone else in it would’ve happened before the Everton game, not 2-3 weeks before JK is back from his op. Unfortunately. As much as I respect JK I would’ve loved to see a new manager in at that point – Slaven Bilic woud’ve been my choice, we can but dream………

• Wiser_than_wise

Mar 17, 2009 at 6:37 PM

Wishfull thinking theres no way we are gonna pick up anything from arsenal and chelsea games, there is simply NO-ONE in NUFC that can stop the likes of arshavin,nasri,ESSIEN,lampard.

• Dragonera

Mar 17, 2009 at 6:39 PM

“nolan barton guthrie and butt the best midfielders we got have had their arses kicked by those top players for over 3years now so i don’t see how thats gonna change anytime soon”

LOL! Hilarious…but true 🙁

• Widowmaker

Mar 17, 2009 at 6:43 PM

Rodzilla, I am with you. Bilic would be nice, but anyone with a positive tactic would do for me as I don’t see Bilic risks his promising future career with MA.

• Kevin

Mar 17, 2009 at 6:46 PM

Any more “Best Captions” out there lads?
    Here’s one:

Calderwood: “Is it just me, or is Shola confused as to which goal we’re attacking?”

Hughton: “Mmmmm, Aye…”

Mar 17, 2009 at 6:47 PM

…well, not true actually. Arshavin is playing his 2nd Premiership game for them and Nasri is in his first season.

…I get your point though WTW

We kicked Arsenal’s ass at Highbury 7 years ago when it wasn’t this important – why not now?

OK, fair enough, I am playing devil’s advocate, but I honestly believe we can beat them.

• It Could Be Worse...We Could Be Spurs -DC-

Mar 17, 2009 at 7:03 PM

What was that exactly? Pack 10 men behind the ball, score a fluky rebound goal, slowly but surely give the game to the opposition, gift them the winner.

Oh yea we’re gonna have our way with Arsenal and Chelsea, it’s not like either of them are hitting form right now!

Mar 17, 2009 at 7:15 PM

Kevin, how about…

Hughton: I don’t feel comfortable with West Brom breathing down our necks.

Calderwood: Don’t worry, that’s just Tony Mowbray, he’s sat behind you.

OR…..

Calderwood: Chris, we’re 2 nil down and not looking much of a threat, what do you reckon?

Hughton: …errr, take off Geremi and Ameobi in the 87th minute for Smith and Andy Carrol?

OR…..

Calderwood: ..to me, to you, to me

Hughton: …to you, to me, to you

I apologise in advance, they were bad. But at least I tried 😀

• ginkoh

Mar 17, 2009 at 7:20 PM

How dare they think they can lead us to get some points in next 2 games. Even Westbrom we have to need luck to win them.

• Toon Graeme

Mar 17, 2009 at 7:24 PM

Its alwasy good to get our boys off their sick notes and god knows there should be a regional medical board investigation into how many we have issued this season (joke).

Seriously – the problem we have had this season is CONSISTANCY. Our lads have not had the chance to work as a team and read each other in and out without a thought.

Due to injuries and suspensions its practically changed every week.

Yet again we see the change from the Man U team to Hull and it was like why? Just cause MO and Butt were back.

I think we can all put this season down to a complete disaster in more ways than one and look forward united to support the team at SJP.

Keep the faith lads.

HOWAY THE LADS!

Mar 17, 2009 at 7:35 PM

Arshavin and Van Persie start against Hull tonight.
    I’d never wish any injury on a player……….

• Toon Graeme

Mar 17, 2009 at 7:40 PM

Rodzilla – I was thinking that earlier today. How about a nice hamstring!

• Doocey

Mar 17, 2009 at 7:44 PM

We’l beat Arsenal, i have a good feeling about it 😀

• Toon Graeme

Mar 17, 2009 at 7:49 PM

Doocey,

I thought that about Hull mate.

Im sure we will make it hard for them!