Lovenkrands Must Play On Saturday

We think that if Peter Lovenkrands had played last Saturday against Hull City, we could well have had the win we needed so much.

peter-lovenkrands-3200

Peter Lovenkrands – goal scoring should see him get more playing time

Peter has that ability to put easy chances intop the back of the net and we had chances like that last Saturday, which fell to Martins and Gutierrez, but both failed to land the ball in the back of the net.

Peter has revealed today that he is keen to win back his place in Newcastle United’s starting line-up for Saturday night’s game with Arsenal, and he must be given a chance to prove that is worth a longer term contract at the club.

Surely we’ll not make the mistake of playing this lad on one of the wings if only because of his goal scoring prowess, which neither Gutierrez  now Duff possess.

The Dane lost his place against Hull City – despite scoring his second Newcastle goal against Manchester United in the 2-1 defeat, when he was in the exact right place at the right time, as natural goalscorers tend to be.

The former Rangers player is now back to full match fitness and has looked sharp when he’s played for Newcastle and in fact against the Red Devils he looked great alongside Oba Martins, as they two seemed to complement each other.

Peter said today:

“I have had a lot of games and I am feeling good.” ” I feel like I am back to the fitness I should be.”

“I will just try and help wherever I can, and whenever I am needed I will play.”

“I just need to keep going, and hopefully I will able to play more games.”

Lovenkrands has played both in attack and out wide for Newcastle, and even though he prefers to play up front, he will play anywhere to help Newcastle United in the run-in to the season, as he also tries to win a new contract in the summer.

Ryan is a versatile player and can play up front or on either wing, so he can be used in a number of ways at Newcastle in the final 9 games of the season, as we look to get the goals needed to keep us in the Premier league.

Peter added:

“I am a striker more than anything, but I have been put on the left wing because I am quick.”

“Everyone assumes I am a winger, but up front has always been the position in which I have wanted to play.”

We’d like Peter to start against Arsenal but if not, this lad must be used as a substitute.

Seeing Jonas Gutierrez hopelessly miss that golden opportunity on Saturday after 60 minutes, made us think that Peter could have put the ball straight into the back of the net, and it would have looked an easy goal, just like the one he scored against Manchester United.

It’s only when players miss those “wide open” opportunities that you realize they are not as easy as they sometimes look.

Finally, Chris will need to use his substitutes wisely on Saturday if we are to get a good result against the in-form Gunners side.

• Nobby_Long

Mar 18, 2009 at 1:32 PM

Ed,

I think you are getting a bit carried away by Lovenkrands. The midfield was the problem – no desire to get forward , no pace and no creativity.

Can’t see Lovenkrands getting the goals to keep us up, but his pace could help to cause problems and space for others.

• Ed Harrison

Mar 18, 2009 at 1:35 PM

Nobby – you could be right – but he has two goals right now – and we need more goal scoring in the side.

• cosmicMini95

Mar 18, 2009 at 1:37 PM

Hopefully we start like this against Aresnal:

————Harper—————
    -Beye–Taylor—-Bassong-Enrique-
    ——–Guthrie—-Nolan———
    –LuaLua——————Jonas–
    ——-Lovenkrands—————
    ————–Martins————

Dont think it will happen though! To be fair Lovenkrands has missed a sitter or two already aswell.

• Graeme

Mar 18, 2009 at 1:40 PM

I think we should be allowed to play 4 – 4 – 3 against Arse Nil. At least we might have a fighting chance of getting a result!!!! lol

• stevep

Mar 18, 2009 at 1:41 PM

Hughton can’t pick a team for toffee, he’ll always pick the old guard.
    We’re going to need some speed in the team against both Arsenal and Chelsea, Smith, Geremi and Ryan Taylor are squad players at best IMO.
    Physioroom shows Beye, Guthrie and Xisco back this weekend – Beye and Guthrie must start against Arsenal if anywhere near match fitness

• Nobby_Long

Mar 18, 2009 at 1:42 PM

Ed – no argument there. ….. 🙂

• Johno Toon

Mar 18, 2009 at 1:43 PM

think lovenkrands is a good player and with his pace he will always casue defenses problems, could be used as an impact sub and should be here next season

• AndyNUFC

Mar 18, 2009 at 1:45 PM

Ed, you’ve actually avoided saying directly what you’re saying in the article. You wanted to say “Martins and Lovekrands looked good against Man Utd, so Lovekrands deserved to start against Hull, instead of Owen”.

Owen was just coming back from injury and has nowhere near the pace or drive Lovenkrands does. Let Owen bloody leave this summer, we’ll save millions in wages. I’d honestly rather have Lovenkrands upfront.

• Bill F

Mar 18, 2009 at 1:56 PM

I’m afraid you are probably correct Andy, it has been impossible to form a settled team around Michael. The injuries are obviously not his own fault but they always seem to happen just as he is getting back to his best form. I think most of us would like to see a fully (permanently) fit MO playin for us and repeating last seasons end of season form but I feel most of us aren’t too hopefull of that happening. Probably more hope of avoiding the drop with Lovenkrands partnering Oba up front.

• Dan4Toon

Mar 18, 2009 at 2:04 PM

i agree he should start, and a great interview from Nolan today on Nufc.tv if anyone wants a listen like !! 🙂

• Premiership Manager

Mar 18, 2009 at 2:12 PM

The problem we have is that Owen, Lovenknands and Martins don’t compliment each other as they are too similar.

We have needed a big powerful comanding CF since Shearer left to lay off the ball and create space for players like Owen, Martins and Lovenkrands. You certainly wouldn’t play with three Nicky Butts or three Damien Duffs so why do it with the forwards?

Carrol, (he’s not perfect but far more effective than Shola), causes all sorts of problems and doesn’t miss anything in the air and this is what we are missing.

He isn’t frightened of being physical, he doesn’t shirk and defenders have to double up on him on long balls and that creates space for players like Owen or Martins.

The team on Saturday should be:

Harper
    S. Taylor or Beye Colo or Taylor, Bassong Enrique
    Duff or Lovenkrands, Nolan, Guthrie, Jonas
    Carrol
    Martins

Instead of the team sitting back waiting to see what happens, (I couldn’t believe that in the S. Taylor interview, if that’s the coaching attitude they might as well pack their bags), they need to attack and make things happen because if they wait, it will be to late as we’ll be behind and then it’s game over.

Be positive and go for it. We should have enough quality on the bench for three players to run themselves to death in the first half, so my message to the coaching staff is point them in the right direction and make sure that they aren’t running in circles.

• RyanToon

Mar 18, 2009 at 2:23 PM

my team for the arsenal

harper

s.taylor coloccini bassong enrique

r.taylor nolan butt jonas

owen martins

subs: krul,edgar,guthrie,smith,duff,carroll,lovenkrands

• RyanToon

Mar 18, 2009 at 2:29 PM

bit of the subject but

luka modric might be leaving spurs for 22.3m! my god footballs gone mad 😉

• LoonyToon @ graft

Mar 18, 2009 at 2:32 PM

Thought Loven was a tad unlucky to lose his place last weekend after a good performance v Manure….personally I would pop him wide right as his pace can cause no end of problems..

We might only get one chance on Saturday….

I would prefer that chance to fall to Owen…hence why he would be in my team

• AndyNUFC

Mar 18, 2009 at 2:36 PM

Unlucky isn’t the word Loony, more “favouritism” or perhaps “cowardice” on Hughton’s behalf. Needs to pick Owen thinking for some crazy reason he might stay. Not fair one bit on Lovenkrands.

• coyote

Mar 18, 2009 at 2:37 PM

If Chis is true to form I don’t believe for 1 minute that he’ll use his substitutes wisely
    but lets hope they go for it and we’ll be the 12th man
    up the TOON

• RyanToon

Mar 18, 2009 at 2:40 PM

• Bosck

Mar 18, 2009 at 2:54 PM

i know a lot of people dont think owen should play but for me team against arsenal should be:

=============Harper==============

Beye====Collocini=====Bassong====Enrique

==============Nolan==============

Taylor========================Jonas

==============Owen==============

======Martins===========Lovenkrads==

• Toon Graeme

Mar 18, 2009 at 3:00 PM

Hull proved our midfield was not quick enough and as for the hoof the ball up in the air forward. Does my nut in.

I got a feeling he will field same team as Hull

• Toon Graeme

Mar 18, 2009 at 3:01 PM

Forgot to mention:

Signed on a free from germany you know! 🙂

Sorry couldnt resist.

• Stuart79

Mar 18, 2009 at 3:06 PM

Can’t believe he was dropped for the Hull game.

I though him, oba and Jonas’ pace frightened Man U half to death!

• Robbanufc

Mar 18, 2009 at 3:11 PM

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=64136173974&ref=ts – Close to 200 members!

Lovenkrands was a good free signing! Lets hope he gets some more playing time!

• Mag 48

Mar 18, 2009 at 3:13 PM

Bosck
    Agree good team
    But it will never happen with these muppets!!
    running things

• Ericles

Mar 18, 2009 at 3:15 PM

I do not see Lovenkrands as a front man in the side. I see him in a midfield and pacy role. Certainly I prefer him to the beached whales Butt and Smith.
    We have got to inject some pace as well as passion against Arsenal and get the crosses and passes to the strikers. I would have Nolan in for sure and Guthrie if he is ready. We need Beye soon too. ARE YOU LISTENING ABOUT THE MIDFIELD HUGHTON?

• vivadavidkelly

Mar 18, 2009 at 3:16 PM

lovenkrands missed the siter of the season against everton. duff is a better bet

• Toon Graeme

Mar 18, 2009 at 3:27 PM

Vivadk –

I remember that sitter he missed like. Was like slow motion in action.

He wont be the first or last to do it though.

• boater

Mar 18, 2009 at 3:32 PM

Forget systems, players being too similar and this ‘n’ that… play your best players… which means DROPPING BLOODY JONAS… who looks good running at defenses but – face it – costs us points each match now.

• sahota

Mar 18, 2009 at 3:52 PM

You are remembering the sitter he missed. But just see he also scored 2 goals. He just need run of few games, I think he will score more than 4 goals till end of season if he is given chance in every game.

• TORONTOON

Mar 18, 2009 at 4:14 PM

should start, then bring sub owen in at 60min.

you start strikers that scored your last goal.

• TORONTOON

Mar 18, 2009 at 4:16 PM

by the way is loverboy a left or right-foot? i think jonas need a rest too

• Johno Toon

Mar 18, 2009 at 5:20 PM

think he is left footed torontoon

• Turkish Magpie

Mar 18, 2009 at 6:47 PM

Why Not match Arsenal at their own youngtsers game? The Youngsters ill go all out against othere youngsters, with a bit of experience inbetween so important players get a rest

My Youngest Possible team

——————————Krul————————-

—-Staylor——Bassong—–Tozer—–Enrique—-

————-LuaLua——-Guthrie——RTaylor—–

————-Ranger——-Martins——Krands——-

The 2 Taylors are ????? there are much younger players but i’m talking about good players younger than 24!

Forget the young guns, its the young Mags 😉

• ToonTinka

Mar 18, 2009 at 7:11 PM

I agree we should find him a slot, we are lacking pace. Im not counting on him scoring goals for us because I don’t rate him at all as a goalscorer.

But no creativity or pace in the midfield is a recipe for disaster in my eyes, we need to start opening teams up. It’s the reason I think where so stale in the middle of the park and going forward.

• Paul141726

Mar 18, 2009 at 10:59 PM

Bosck has a good line-up. It’s one I would like to see sometime but I don’t think it will be this week. Beye might be a week away yet, Lua Lua can’t seem to get any time (tragic) and Guthrie is for me only a squad player at the moment. I would like to see
    Harper
    S. Taylor Colo Bassong Enrique
    Lovenkrands Nolan Butt/ Lua Lua Jonas
    Oba Owen
    Does anyone think a 4-3-3 will be used at all the rest of the year? Personnaly I would like to see it, just not in the next two games.

• Brutooon

Mar 18, 2009 at 11:02 PM

when we still keep playing geremi and smith then we would get r.e.l.e.g.a.t.e.dddddd

Play best eleven….those second best settle for the bench and if some player dont play well, change them !

• NUFC HOPE

Mar 19, 2009 at 3:59 AM

I think Lovenkrands is an asset we must use. Perhaps Owen, at this point in his recovery would be better suited as an impact sub instead of lovenkrands. Although lovenkrands is not being played as a striker this will enable us to work around other positions.

For those saying LuaLua would be a good start against arsenal i could not disagree more. His inexperience against an Arsenal side that is back at full form after their FA cup win against Hull could prove fatal.

What we need is the solid defense of taylor,colo,bassong,and JoseE coupled with the creative play of Jonas and R.Taylor. This with the veteran leadership of Butt/Duff could work very well in my opinion. Oba up front, maybe he will find form and start capatlising on his brilliant opportunities that since his return have been just short of stellar

Either way a win against arse would do a great deal to help our cause against chelsea in the upcoming week.

Howaday The Lads!

• NUFC HOPE

Mar 19, 2009 at 4:02 AM

obviously the butt/duff would be an option and the other midi would be peter lovenkrands

• Tom_Toon