Newcastle’s Tim Krul Is One For The Future

Now that Shay Given is playing his football elsewhere, our two outstanding young goalkeepers, Tim Krul and Fraser Forster, have been getting more attention at the club, and right now they are rotating in being the substitute goalkeeper to Steve Harper.

Great shot of Tim Krul – our Dutch Under-21 goalkeeper

We signed Tim from ADO Den Haag, his home town club, in the summer of 2005, when Graeme Souness was still manager at Newcastle, so he was signed long before Mike Ashley put a much greater emphasis on bringing young players, from all over the world, though the Newcastle United Academy.

Tim talked to the Newcastle Evening Chronicle today:

“I know at any second I could be pitched into a relegation battle.” “At the moment I am training with such high intensity levels.”

“You know you could in there at any point.” “I just need to keep focused. It doesn’t matter who it’s against.”

“Even if it happens against Arsenal in the last five minutes, you’ve got to be ready for it. It’s hard, but we’ll see what happens.”

Krul’s loan experiences at Carlisle this season, and Falkirk last season, have helped the young keeper enormously in his football development. He played 22 times for Falkirk and 9 times for Carlisle, and in both cases, the reports had him playing very indeed, and the youngster has already represented Holland 3 times at the Under-21 level.

Krul, who will turn 21 in early April, has played just once for Newcastle, and made his debut in the UEFA Cup game on November 2, 2006, away to Palermo. He was the man of the match in the 0-0 draw on that night in Sicily, and he got rave reviews for his performance, from both reporters and then Newcastle manager Glenn Roeder.

But the 6’2″ tall Tim has not played since, except for some pre-season friendly games, with both Shay and Steve Harper in his way, but he could now become Newcastle’s number two, and he believes he has that chance at Newcastle.

Tim does play for Newcastle Reserves, and he played in our 2-1 win against Everton Reserves on Monday night at Whitley Park, but the crowds at those games hardly compare with the games he played at Falkirk and Carlisle, or on that night in Sicily, back in 2006.

Tim added:

“It’s a lot different playing reserve-team football compared to League One.” “But the reserve team is still a good standard.”  “The young lads are coming through now, there are a lot of third years and 17 to 18-year-olds who have made progress.”

“When I was 18 I loved playing reserve-team football.” “It’s a good level and when you look at the fact we have been playing on a difficult pitch, we’re doing a good job.” “I’m rotating each match with Fraser Forster in the reserves and on the bench in the first team.” “I’m just waiting for my chance.”

“If something happens I have to be ready.” “I’m patient, patient and even more patient at the moment.”  “I have had a mixed season, reserve team, at Carlisle United and on the bench for the first team.” “But it’s part of the game.”

“I am frequently reminded of my UEFA Cup appearance against Palermo some seasons ago.” “I just can’t describe the deafening noise that the fans in the stands created.”  “It was painful to the ears.” “It’s about time to turn the page and begin a new chapter of success.” “I’m ready to get to work.”

There’s not much to choose between our two young goalkeepers right now, but we think most fans would probably side for Tim as the number two right now, should Steve Harper be injured.

But it’s very close, and Fraser Forster also played fantastically well at Stockport County in his loan spell earlier this season, and many Stockport County fans commented on this site, they would have loved to have kept Fraser there for the season.

Both lads seem great professionals, and Tim surprised a lot of  Newcastle fans last summer, when he was linked with Feyenoord, by saying he just loved playing at Newcastle United, and didn’t want to leave.

We like lads like Tim. 😀

• RyanToon

Mar 18, 2009 at 2:30 PM

i remember his amazing performance in palermo, great times! 1-0 win with a certain albert luque scoring 😉

• geordie jock

Mar 18, 2009 at 2:38 PM

Great lad and should be in the 1st team imo, Harper does not give me any confidence that he is the answer between the sticks.

• RyanToon

Mar 18, 2009 at 2:45 PM

geordie

sort of agree with you there, harper is a good keeper but one thing he DOESNT do enough off for me is coming of his line to get the ball

• dougnufc

Mar 18, 2009 at 2:45 PM

We should not let them play for at least three years unless Harper gets injured. Harper has waited for 12 long years and we should respect his loyalty and give him his chances for his remaining time in football.

I’d say we will loan Krul or Forster out to gain experience.

• shearerbliss

Mar 18, 2009 at 2:54 PM

I have a bet on that Harper would start in goal for England at the world cup, so my faith in him is high! As for tim I think he would be a fantastic number two but one of them should go out on loan to a champ/prem team for experance.

• GEORDIE69

Mar 18, 2009 at 2:54 PM

Id start with Krul and keep there. He has the potential to become world class and he has already shown he is confident and good enough.

• Jan Stavik

Mar 18, 2009 at 3:02 PM

I’d play Krul, he has the ability to be the next van der Sar. Harper has the ability to play in the CCC, so for me this is a easy call.

Play Krul, Harper doesn’t save anything else than what he HAS to, he just don’t have that little extra we need now. Imagine if Krul gets in and plays well, we’ll have a classy goalie for 15 years to come!

• Nick D

Mar 18, 2009 at 3:02 PM

Why is it you older guys always say one for the future Ed?

Krul is ready now. I have a lot of tme for Harper apart from his hit and hope kicking, but Krul is the real deal and if he keeps getting told he is ”one for the future” he’ll leave, sure as eggs is eggs.

Same with Lua Lua and Ranger. We musn’t waste this talent a tthe expense of the likes of geremi, Butt and Smith etc. We all know their limitations.

• Toon Graeme

Mar 18, 2009 at 3:04 PM

Saw him in action on Monday at the ressies.

I have not seen enough of him in action to base an opinion Im afraid.

Between him and Forster (from what I have seen) – Forster is more vocal to his back four.

• vivadavidkelly

Mar 18, 2009 at 3:12 PM

By the way it was 1-0 against Palermo and not 0-0. anyhow. now really isnt the time to blood Krul for obvious reasons but i would defo use him next year. i dont think Steve Harper is as good as people make out. never have done. he was a good number 2 but haper good enough for england was a myth in my eyes

• GEORDIE69

Mar 18, 2009 at 3:42 PM

Our best team in my opinion would be

GK Krul

SUB Guthrie
    SUB Lovenkrands
    SUB Carroll

Out = Harper,Cacapa,Edgar,Geremi,Butt,Smith,Duff,Viduka,Shola,Owen,Xisco,

• Toon Graeme

Mar 18, 2009 at 4:10 PM

Excellent news – well that debatable but I bet it got your interest:

We are no longer top of physio room – get in – were second 🙂

• Toon_Factor

Mar 18, 2009 at 4:30 PM

GEORDIE69

Are Best team? thats destined for relegation

• Joint second Toon Graeme 😉

• NUFCDavid

Mar 18, 2009 at 4:45 PM

dont get me wrong i rate krul highly, but at the moment i think we need to repay stevie harpers loyalty, and in relegation scraps we need his experience at the back.

• Jan Stavik

Mar 18, 2009 at 5:03 PM

Repay his loyalty?! The lad never had an option, if he had he’d be gone. No other PL-club ever wanted Harper, I’m quite sure of that.

His loyalty is paid 30k a week, that’s more than enough in my eyes.

• sirjasontoon

Mar 18, 2009 at 5:33 PM

Krul..top lad,seems level headed,loads of potential can’t wait to see him step up to the plate.
    Loads of time for Harper as well.

• big boomer

Mar 18, 2009 at 6:26 PM

This lad is a class act. However he is another victim of our youth policy we piss them off in the reserves giving them no consideration and wonder then why they don’t develop further.
    Only Glenda had the faith to trust young players
    Souness, Fat Sam KK and Joking Near not a chance

• Bill F

Mar 18, 2009 at 6:56 PM

Not if he signs for Feynoord in the Summer as suggested on the Eredivisie game today.

I agree with Nick D why are they always players for the future. I would like to see them replacing some of our players from the past (we all know who I mean) now.

• MarkO

Mar 18, 2009 at 8:15 PM

I think we should stick him in now because tbh he is better than Harper. I do feel sorry for Harper, but he just isn’t very good.

My Newcastle team next season IF(and thats a big IF) were in the prem would be:

———————–Krul——————–
    Glen Johnson–Colo–Bassong–Enrique

Barnetta—Barton—Veloso—Jonas—–

—————-Oba——-Lopez————–

• Brutooon

Mar 18, 2009 at 11:26 PM

krul need to move to arsenal to seem first team football

• DJG

Mar 19, 2009 at 12:15 AM

I think Harper has struggled for form since Shay left but he is not as bad as people are making out on here and when on top form should definatly be considered for England from James, Green ect.

It is very sad but there just isn’t any trully class England goal keepers anymore which is worrying and something this country has been blessed with in the past.

Out of Krul and Forster I wouldn’t say Krul was better but I havn’t seen much of them.

Harper = 6’2
    Krul = 6’2
    Forster = 6’5

People are saying Krul will be the next Van der Sar. I think Fraser Forster could be the next David Seaman. Why do we overlook homegrown talent and prefer forigners? Maby this is why the England team is in the mess it is.

• Nick D

Mar 19, 2009 at 7:31 AM

DJG – it’s because usually English youngsters are so stupidly over priced.

Geordie 69 – that’s an excellent team mate, don’t know what Toon factor is going on about. I think that’s far and away the best team we could put out right now.

Pace and youth as well, instead of the pedestrian (putting it kindly) midfield of
    Butt, smith & Geremi. You know it’ll never happen cos Hughton & Kinnear don’t have the bottle or the imagination.

Mark O quite like the look of that team as well.

• GEORDIE69

Mar 19, 2009 at 7:56 AM

Yeah Nick D

Could you imagine the pace in our team as well as the experience and grit. Shame we didn’t have a managment with bottle. Just curious Toon Factor what would you consider to be our best team?

• Tom_Toon