Nile Ranger Absolutely Loving It At Newcastle

Nile Ranger was signed by Newcastle from Southampton in the summer, and is enjoying a very successful first season at the club, having just won the “Wor Jackie” award, given to the most outstanding youngster, after scoring 21 goals so far this season.

niles-ranger

Nile Ranger – big success in first season

The 17-year-old youngster was almost unnoticed when he was on the Newcastle bench for the game against Arsenal at the Emirates Stadium on Saturday, August 30th, in what would become Kevin Keegan’s last game in charge.

The following Monday was when all hell was let loose at the club, and Kevin finally left the club the following Friday.

Nile already stands 6ft 2in tall, and is likely still growing, and the lad has already showed just what he can do in the Under-18s side with 14 goals, and in the Reserves side with 7 goals.

It was likely he would have been given a game in the first team this season, but with relegation worries, it’s hardly appropriate to have an inexperienced youngster in the side right now.

However, if we can claw our way to safety before the end of the season, don’t be surprised if Joe Kinnear gives him his debut in the first team, before the season ends.

The Newcastle Evening Chronicle has today interviewed the youngster, and this is what Nile said:

“I am absolutely loving it up here.” “I didn’t expect to score this many, but I’m glad that I have.”

“The team is on a roll at the moment and long may it continue.” “The lads have all worked hard and we’re second in the reserve league.”

“That’s really good for the lads and good for the club generally.” “The coaching staff have done a good job, we have the momentum and everything is really good.”

“I will just keep my feet on the ground and work hard. That’s all I can do.”

It seems that Nile didn’t know too much about the great Jackie Milburn, before he won the award, which is not really surprising for the London-born youngster, who will turn 18 years old in April.

Ranger is definitely one for the future, but he may be pushing for a first team squad position faster than most people realize, having done brilliantly in his first season on Tyneside.

And having recently won the Wor Jackie award, we’re pleased to say that he now knows a lot more about the great history of the Newcastle United club, as he continued:

“I was delighted to win the Wor Jackie award.” “I’ll be honest, I didn’t know much about Jackie Milburn before the award.”

“But Jimmy Nelson at the Academy told me all about it and I have been studying the history of the club.”

“I have read a few things and I know that he is such a legend and there is such a massive history to this club.”

“It is a real honor for me to win it, especially in my first season.”

We can be sure that Nile knows all about Jackie Milburn now, and he may follow in the footsteps of Jackie and a certain Alan Shearer, who between them scored 406 goals for the Tyneside club. 😀

All Nile Ranger needs to do is keep his head down, take notice of what coach Richard Money tells him, work hard, and his chance will come at Newcastle United.  It’s really that easy,  because this lad seems to be blessed with considerable talent.

The lad is already an exciting prospect at the Newcastle club, who has certainly caught the imagination of  Newcastle fans everywhere.

• Johno Toon

Mar 18, 2009 at 5:47 PM

hopefull we secure our premiership status sooner rather than later and he gets a run out before end of the season

• Rodzilla

Mar 18, 2009 at 5:56 PM

At least someone is.

• toooooonfan

Mar 18, 2009 at 5:57 PM

he’ll still play
    owen martins shola viduka smith lovern and carrol before him so we will end up loosing him for a pittance because of our incompetent coaching.

• big boomer

Mar 18, 2009 at 6:28 PM

He will soon get pissed off like all the other young players. When do they get a chance never. We would rather play overpaid overwuight oldies

• jimiley

Mar 18, 2009 at 6:42 PM

When was the last time we coached a youngster into a really top player.
    We always play the oldies and the youngsters get disllusioned. He’ll soon get cheesed off waiting behind the bartender.
    How can he be enjoying it. Doesn’t he care about our league position?

• Turkish Magpie

Mar 18, 2009 at 6:48 PM

Why Not match Arsenal at their own youngtsers game? The Youngsters ill go all out against othere youngsters, with a bit of experience inbetween so important players get a rest

My Youngest Possible team

——————————Krul————————-

—-Staylor——Bassong—–Tozer—–Enrique—-

————-LuaLua——-Guthrie——RTaylor—–

————-Ranger——-Martins——Krands——-

The 2 Taylors are ????? there are much younger players but i’m talking about good players younger than 24!

Forget the young guns, its the young Mags

• It Could Be Worse...We Could Be Spurs -DC-

Mar 18, 2009 at 7:19 PM

Nile Ranger is a G, keep bangin’

Turkish… Loverboy is like 42…doesn’t really fit

• magpie6699

Mar 18, 2009 at 7:44 PM

Hang on – if we’re talking about Arsenal and Wenger with young players, he makes a point of NOT throwing them in too early! How long did Theo Walcott learn his trade before getting into the team? Unfortunately, unlike Arsenal, we don’t have many cup competitions we’re not that interested in – nor do we usually have that many cup-ties full stop!
    The step up from Juniors and Reserves to the Premiership is huge and (sorry guys) I have no idea where all the drooling about Lua Lua’s “performance” came from when he came on for a few minutes the other week. I saw a couple of OK passes and one badly mishit pass – not enough to judge him on, but nothing to write home about.
    Sure – in the unlikely event of us achieving safety it would be good to give them 20 minutes – but at the moment it would be a gamble which could go horribly wrong – for them as well as the team.
    Nile will hopefully keep his feet on the ground and if he has any sense he is not going to rush off (to where?) because he hasn’t played first team football – what other club is going to push him straight into their team?Remember we’ve had prolific junior scorers before – Chopra, Coppinger, (Shola) anyone? Let’s just be grateful we seem to have so many promising youngsters and hope we might get a chance to give some a taste of top-level football before too long.

• Rodzilla

Mar 18, 2009 at 8:17 PM

batty // Mar 18, 2009 at 6:08 PM ——Post 4

…batty, was that sarcasm mate? I’m just so used to people on these forums saying how useless Xisco is. I can remember him looking sharp for Spain U21s and he doesn’t seem to have done too badly at Deportivo. At 22 he does seemingly have enough experience as well.

At 6ft 2 I’d certainly play him up there with one of our dwarves – got to be better than Bambi, Carrol or sicknote.

Although nobody at NUFC seems to rate him for some reason. F*k knows what all that’s about – 5th choice 6M striker and all that.

• Rodzilla

Mar 18, 2009 at 8:18 PM

…(speaking of youngsters not being used)

• MickMack

Mar 18, 2009 at 8:21 PM

Good story Ed again. Always good to hear about the young prospects.
    On another note – do alot of people in America say ‘the Newcastle United club’ – just its been put on every article a few times each. Not having a go or anything, just picked up on it, thats all, not wanting to argue …. just saying, thats all. Sorry, thats all. I do like the article, just saying, thats all.

• MickMack

Mar 18, 2009 at 8:25 PM

Im glad Nile likes it at ‘the Newcastle United club’.

• Toon Graeme

Mar 18, 2009 at 8:48 PM

As much I am itching for ranger to get in the 1st team – no chance. Kinnear wont do it or Hughton or who ever is in charge.

He is in good hands with Richard Money.

Until we ditch the over paid sicknote dwellers, our young talent can sit back and watch we gan to sh*t on the pitch.

• Toon Graeme

Mar 18, 2009 at 8:48 PM

– like the rest of we.

• sirjasontoon

Mar 18, 2009 at 9:13 PM

Never heard of Jackie Milburn…good to hear he is looking at the clubs history..it should be compulsory though at any club so you understand it and the fans better.

• Toon Graeme

Mar 18, 2009 at 9:24 PM

Evening SJT.

Was beginning to think I was the only one around….

• Toon Graeme

Mar 18, 2009 at 9:48 PM

Catch everyone tomorrow.

• Doocey

Mar 18, 2009 at 10:02 PM

I’m here haha
    Updating my site 🙂

Can’t wait for the Nal’ game 😀

• Cooper

Mar 18, 2009 at 10:16 PM

Hellaw lads.

Reckon the arsenal game will be a sell out?

• batty

Mar 18, 2009 at 10:37 PM

54 Dragonera // Mar 18, 2009 at 1:16 PM

Well, based on Owen’s record against the top four, i would say Martins or Lovenkrands
    <<<<dragonera why do you keep saying owen cant score against the big 4 he has scored 6 against man u and 5 each against chelsea and arsenal makeing it 16 against 3 teams shearer has scored 21 against the top for teams so i would say he is on par with wor alan

• Rodzilla

Mar 18, 2009 at 10:54 PM

…oops, wrong thread batty eh?

Good argument to the comments I was reading in the other one though 🙂

• batty

Mar 18, 2009 at 10:59 PM

rodzilla but it is true m8

• LoonyToon

Mar 18, 2009 at 11:01 PM

Nile could turn out to be the answer for us next season. He could be great in the Championship.

No I’m not being sarcastic. Nor do I think we are going down (or staying up for that matter) but if everyone ships out and we are looking at saving some pennies on wages, he could suddenly be in the first team. Maybe as first choice once he starts scoring. Then he would be our hero if he helps us to promotion.

Hopefully he’ll be coming on as a sub for us next season in the PREMIER LEAGUE.
    Come on lads get your fingers out.

Toon toon, black n white army…………

PS.
    I hope MA starts spending some real money and gets some level of support back from the majority (in my opinion) so I can start buying my club gear again.
    PPS.
    I understand the catch 22 situation that if we don’t spend on the club then MA will have less cash to spend. My excuse is he has to gain my trust in order to get my money. I’ve never felt this way in the past and I’ve always backed the club before anyone but in this case my money stays in my pocket until I feel MA isn’t just running it as a business for profit.
    PPPS.
    Phew my letter P is wearing out. Also, when people say we would have went bust if it wasn’t for MA where does this info come from? Where did we first hear it? (I know about the extra cash MA payed, but going bust ???) Do you believe anything you are told in the press? Remember these are real business people who know what to say to pacify the masses. I mean, do you believe everything you read in the papers. If it’s true I have to say thank you to MA. If it’s true. Who’s to say we would have went bust. It’s easy for a good accountant to juggle figures to make things look good (possibly what FFS did) and it’s easy to juggle figures to make them look bad (possibly what MA has done).
    Has the acountant changed under MA???
    If it’s the same one he must be one big smart 4rse.

If I’m talking out my 4rse then fair enough. Just put me in my place 🙂

• LoonyToon

Mar 18, 2009 at 11:04 PM

PPPPS.

I am now a father (1st one). My little angel was born yesterday and I’m absolutely buzzing.

Just thought I’d tell the world.

• Brutooon

Mar 18, 2009 at 11:06 PM

this year he will be 18 years old…if next year he hasnt play for the first team then its better for nile ranger to move to arsenal – place where youngsters was given a chance

• LoonyToon

Mar 18, 2009 at 11:07 PM

What an amazing feeling.

• Rodzilla

Mar 18, 2009 at 11:10 PM

LoonyToon // Mar 18, 2009 at 11:01 PM

…you need to look through past posts at verbal battles between mortal enemies ‘Stardust’ and ‘Stuart79’ or ‘sirjasontoon’ if you want arguments for and against Ashley mate 😉

They make interesting reading. If I shout STARDUST loud enough maybe he’ll appear – I’m sure he’d LOVE your comment 😉

• Rodzilla

Mar 18, 2009 at 11:11 PM

LoonyToon,

CONGRATULATIONS mate 😀

• LoonyToon

Mar 18, 2009 at 11:11 PM

It certainly put’s everything into perspective and makes you realise what’s really important in life.

I can sense you all thinking “ar nar, shut up man. I get it you’ve got a baby”.

I’ll be back to reality soon.

• LoonyToon

Mar 18, 2009 at 11:22 PM

Cheers Rod. It’s amazing. I recommend it to everyone.

My comment was really based on knowing the truth. Nothing else. What I mean is we believe things we are told instead of findind out for ourselves. That’s why politicians and big businesses can play the public. Our only source of information is what we are told. If the information we are given is for an agenda then it’s not reliable.

I’m not saying I’m right about anything. I’m just saying we should question EVERYTHING we are told instead of being so staunch with beliefs built on what we are told. Only when we are FULLY informed can we make our own correct decisions based on OUR beliefs.

• LoonyToon

Mar 18, 2009 at 11:27 PM

Oops. Typo above:-

“What I mean is we believe things we are told instead of findind out”

Should have read “finding out” for anyone who feels the urge to attack my grammer/intelect.

Some people are fickle 😉

• LooneyToon

Mar 18, 2009 at 11:39 PM

Mint….sumone with the same username as the original Looney….

this could get interesting

Loony without the e…..ffs divvent say anything out of order incase they get muddled with the true Loon…good lad 😉

• LooneyToon

Mar 18, 2009 at 11:46 PM

LoonyToon

Just readback through your posts….think u need to change ur username…..

room for one Loon on this site…..

• LooneyToon

Mar 18, 2009 at 11:50 PM

back to the thread….

good player….ton of potential…seen him play a few times this season and he is defo one for the future…..pace, power good touch and a canny finisher……all there if he wants it……

just gotta make sure he keeps his feet on the ground, continues to work hard and doesnt get carried away…his time will come sooner rather than later…

• Dragonera

Mar 19, 2009 at 12:02 AM

batty

I am talking about scoring against the top four whilst playing for Newcastle.

• RyanToon

Mar 19, 2009 at 12:23 AM

gordon linked with us!!! oh no!!!

• DJG

Mar 19, 2009 at 12:29 AM

I thought Xisco and Ranger looked a good pairing for the ressies, and we should play them because they can’t be worse than Bambi, headless chicken, Go-wen and sicknote.

• RyanToon

Mar 19, 2009 at 12:31 AM

• DJG

Mar 19, 2009 at 12:33 AM

They both have height, skill and are even quite pacy. Why not give them a chance because at least they will look interested and chase the scraps our midfielders create.

Owen just doesn’t look fit enough for 6-7 games after injury, (which for him now is every game).