Oba Martins – I’m Proud To Play For Newcastle

Newcastle United striker Obafemi Martins has said once again that one reason he is very happy at Newcastle, is because of the legendary Newcastle fans.

oba-martins-2312

Martins – this is what scoring for Newcastle means to him

Martins talked about those fans to BBC Sport yesterday:

“For the fact that they love me, I have to share the love as well, I have to love them back. They love me for the job I’m doing,”

“No matter how Newcastle’s doing you have to still love the team, you have to try and help.”

“I’m happy here and I’m proud that I’m playing for Newcastle.”

With the club now only above the bottom three only becasue of  goal difference, Martins has been urged by his compatriots to move to a more successful club.

“A lot of my fans in Nigeria say ‘you have to go to Arsenal’ or this or that,”

“I understand what they feel, because Newcastle’s not doing good, but for me, I’m happy here and I need to play football.”

“I always say that they’re among the best fans ever, people in Newcastle are really good people.”

This is not the first time Oba has said things like this about Newcastle, the fans and the people of Newcastle, and there’s a special relationship between Oba and the Newcastle fans, there’s no doubt about that.

And our hearts went out to Oba last August when the mother he loved so much, was killed in a tragic fire back in Lagos. That helped to pull Oba through the tragedy, and it was almost like he had his own family on Tyneside, at the time.

We just hope the club is successful in surviving in the Premier League by May, and then maybe the club can rebuild the squad to something a lot better and more fitting to the tremendous fan support the team gets week in and week out.

But how many times, in the last four years, have we said that?

Oba’s made to measure for Newcastle United, because of his skills, goal scoring ability and not to mention the 100% effort he puts in for every game.

All we need now is for Oba to score a couple of goals on Saturday, in a win against Arsenal, and we’ll all be ecstatic.

• Stuart79

Mar 18, 2009 at 9:38 AM

Any chance of playing like it then Oba?

• TheToonKing

Mar 18, 2009 at 9:46 AM

Any chance of playing like it Newcastle United ?

• TheToonKing

Mar 18, 2009 at 9:47 AM

*then ….ops left that one out…

• Toon Graeme

Mar 18, 2009 at 9:49 AM

Oba is a fans favourite.

Lets hope he can find his shooting boots for Saturday.

• Stuart79

Mar 18, 2009 at 9:50 AM

Toon Greame

Gutierrez is also a fans favorite. Any idea why?

Doesn’t score goals and dosn’t create any!

Oba flatters to decieve like the rest of the over paid prima donnas in the squad!

• Ericles

Mar 18, 2009 at 9:54 AM

Come on Oba. We really need you. Remember – YOU are our number 9 – nobody else. Let’s hope you get the service from other players that is needed. That mate requires some pace. Over to you Hughton – are you going to speed up the midfield?

• Dragonera

Mar 18, 2009 at 9:56 AM

Oba is class and would only get better if he had a proper midfield behind him. Year in, year out our midfield kills us both defensively and offensively.

• batty

Mar 18, 2009 at 9:57 AM

well i think we will get at least a point of arsenal and allso i think oba is due to score

• ronaldeano

Mar 18, 2009 at 10:02 AM

We need an attacking midfielder to feed the ball thru to Oba.

That is an important area we needed to strenghthen in the transfer market, that dident happen

• batty

Mar 18, 2009 at 10:05 AM

7 Dragonera you right m8 weve got no one that can run down the wings and cross a good ball in weve got so many similar midfeilders so called battlers i say so called because they havent done much battleing lately

• batty

Mar 18, 2009 at 10:06 AM

that 12 mill we got for millner dusent look that good now doe,s it

• Stuart79

Mar 18, 2009 at 10:07 AM

batty

Ya livng in cloud cucko land mate! Look at the facts.

Ronaldeano

KK said that when he arrived over twelve months ago. What did he get? A overpriced defender and a water carrying Liverpool reject!

• batty

Mar 18, 2009 at 10:13 AM

Stuart79 like ive said before we sold emre millner and even zog and look who we got to replace them ffs nolan r taylor and guttey ffs they coudnt put a cross in between them

• batty

Mar 18, 2009 at 10:17 AM

stardust keeps on aboot plugging holes but whats the use in trying to fix the enginge room if the bow has got a hole in it because surley the ship wiil sink and fck the engine up again

• Stuart79

Mar 18, 2009 at 10:18 AM

Gutierrez is like a vampire!

My patience has snapped now.

It’s time we all woke up and smelt the coffee.

We have sold good players and brought in worse.

We’ve been left with a p1ss poor squad and we are where we are because of that.

I still believe another, better qualified manager wouldget more out of them though

• Dragonera

Mar 18, 2009 at 10:21 AM

stuart

All you ever do is come on here and moan like a woman. you’re boring mate.

• ronaldeano

Mar 18, 2009 at 10:22 AM

Even the AM we got on loan hasent played hardly!

WTF is happening to our club!

• Whumpie

Mar 18, 2009 at 10:26 AM

Dragonera – so true about the midfield being the constant weakness. Also, we do seem doomed to accumulate good ‘battlers’ with no clear, 1st-choice creative genius to make it all gel.

BUT we do have Nolan, Barton and Guthrie – all of whom have been sorely missed. I’d trade all 3 for one Deco type, mind.

Back to Oba – with Nolan back in, I fancy the attack to be quite effective on Saturday, and Oba is just the kind of player to give their defence a tough time. Gawd knows we need it to work, because I can’t see us keeping the Arse out for 90 minutes.

• Stuart79

Mar 18, 2009 at 10:28 AM

Dragonera

Yet another supporter with his head in the sand!

Open ya eyes you fool.

We will never go forward unless we admit where we are and tell it as it is. Thinking everything is rosey for the last 5 years has seen us go backwards!

I would love to come on here and wax lyricle about the club but can you tell me what is good at the moment?

I agree it is boring talking about the depressing state of the club, but until I see something positive to comment on I will continue to do my duty as a proper fan and tell it how it is and be realistic.

Give it a go if you dare!

• Whumpie

Mar 18, 2009 at 10:29 AM

By the way – and admittedly off topic: does anyone else feel that if Torres or Rooney had scored the goal wor Tayls did on Saturday, they’d still be showing replays of it on BBC1 now?

I think it was an absolutely sublime goal worthy of the best strikers in the world – but because it was NUFC, and because it was a defender, it hardly got a mention on MOTD.

…and because it’s Steven Taylor, I’ve not heard much about it from the Toon side either. Praps it’s just because the match result was such a disappointment, but I feel a bit sorry for Tayls, who should be up for goal of the month with that one.

• Dragonera

Mar 18, 2009 at 10:30 AM

Whumpie

Getting something from an Arsenal game is all about discipline. Blackburn conceded early, lost their gameplan and got smashed 4-0.

We need to frustrate them in the first 30mins(regardless of what the fans want) and then operate solely on the counter-attack from then on wards.

• Dragonera

Mar 18, 2009 at 10:32 AM

Stuart

Moaning like a woman on a blog doesn’t make you a “proper fan”, mate. I reckon around 75% of bloggers on here just overlook your comments regardless of whether they agree with you or not, it’s boring.

• Stuart79

Mar 18, 2009 at 10:36 AM

I prefer to call them consistant. Which is more than can be said for you.

Which side of the fence are you sat on today?

It’s poor and I’m commenting on that very fact. Sorry for having an opinion though!

• Whumpie

Mar 18, 2009 at 10:39 AM

I do get fed up with all the negative stuff, and I’ve had a go at a few people for it when it just gets too repetitive.

I think the problem is that the only good stuff about the club at the moment is hidden (i.e. you only appreciate the foundations being sound if someone builds something decent on them), and also because it all means nowt if we go down this year.

So while I sympathise with the “every silver lining has a cloud” brigade, I would like it if they tried a bit harder to find some nice stuff – even if it’s just conjecture.

For example: we’ve got almost a full squad to pick from! Yay! Oba Martins is doing the opposite to N’Zogbewhiner! Yay!

Ok, pretty desperate examples. Must do better.

Come on – there may be no good solid stuff to be happy about, but there’s plenty of reason to believe we could have a decent run-in and a good season next year. And yes, this year it IS different, because the club’s underpinning gubbins has been changed. We could be stuffed, but we could also be at the lowest point before a sustainable march back up to where we should be.

C’maaaaaaaaaaaan!!

• Toon Graeme

Mar 18, 2009 at 10:40 AM

Whumpie – I bet it doesnt even get a look in for goal of the month on MOTD – considering some of the dross thats usually up for contention.

Dragonera – agreed we need to frustrate arsenal to begin with and if we can get to 45 on 0 – 0 I will be happy with that.

Its gonna be no easy game but if we can show one glimpse of what we did to manure in the first 15 mins and maintain that I think we could get at least a point.

We need to concentrate and focus on our football. Arsenal have not been firing on all cylinders of late and have just started to find some form again.

That aside – we are in relagation mire and have no option now but to get 1 point or (i pray) 3.

Its hard to stay positive – especially at the moment.

Keep the faith!

• Stardust

Mar 18, 2009 at 10:41 AM

Stuart

Being a critic of everything and everyone for everything they do simply highlights the weakness of your own character and standing – nothing else.

If “supporting” a club brings you so much pain please feel free to stop at any time – you wont be missed, in fact the more like you who leave the better.

• batty

Mar 18, 2009 at 10:42 AM

Stuart79 as for wakeing up and smelling the coffee i did that a long time a go m8 i wont be happy untill fat ash and co leave but just because i think we will get at least a point out of the arsenal game dusent mean iam liveing in cloud coo coo land

• Dragonera

Mar 18, 2009 at 10:42 AM

I’m sat on whatever side you are opposite because quite frankly i couldn’t bare to be associated with a fan like you. On here everyday moaning and bitching. Quite frankly, you are an embarrassment. Haven’t you anything better to do?

• Stuart79

Mar 18, 2009 at 10:43 AM

Whumpie

I would love some good news!

But can you give me some proper good news? Something with substance?

The die has been cast. That’s not a great situation

• Whumpie

Mar 18, 2009 at 10:44 AM

Stuart – IMHO (and of course that can be utter bowl lox at times) a consistent tone across all arguments tends to show that someone’s not considering the facts, whereas if you can’t predict what someone’s going to think about a particular subject, that usually means that they tend to take each point on its merits.

Having said that, I also know that several years of rubbish and disappointment tends to lead to the former outlook.

Dontcha just hate fence-sitters? 🙂

• Dragonera

Mar 18, 2009 at 10:48 AM

Whumpie

“a consistent tone across all arguments tends to show that someone’s not considering the facts, whereas if you can’t predict what someone’s going to think about a particular subject, that usually means that they tend to take each point on its merits.”

Mate, you just summed up my exact thoughts. I would have posted something similar, but my verbose writing style would have had me typing for a good 10 minutes 😀

• Stuart79

Mar 18, 2009 at 10:48 AM

Well,well well.

Stardust- the ultimate head in sand fan!

How can you guys castergate a supporter for having an opinion?

Whatever my opinion I’m entitled to it. I don’t see anything good at the club at the minute and I’m saying that.

I’m as much of a fan as you guys, just because I have a different opinion that you lot doesn’t make me any less a fan.

I support the club ever game, I’ve been a season ticket holder for years. I do my bit and coming on here moaning about the way the club is isn’t going to bring any worse performances than were currenty getting.

To that end I will have my opinion and stick to it. I would like you to respect that please like I respect yours.

Not that I agree with your opinion you understand but I respect it!

• Sav

Mar 18, 2009 at 10:48 AM

Oba and Owen is not a great combo. Against The Arse I’d like to see Hughton play MO farther back like KK did. Kinnear dismissed that tactic – but apart from ‘lump it’ he hasn’t come up with much to replace it. Speed merchants of Oba and LoverMan up front will keep the occupied as it did against ManU.
    If Hughton is determined to accommodate Owen, fair enough, but that’s how he should do it.

• Stardust

Mar 18, 2009 at 10:51 AM

Stuart

Difference is our opinions do not undermine the club or players.

You will state neither do yours but we lost the 12th man years ago because of “supporters” like you.

• Whumpie

Mar 18, 2009 at 10:53 AM

Stuart – I agree that we’ve got little that’s already happened that we can be positive about. All we have got is reasons to be positive about what’s coming.

What I think people are getting on your back about (and a bit too personally if you ask me – back off lads!) is that even your conjecture is negative.

To be honest, I think we’ll be lucky to get a point out of the next two games, but I thought we’d get absolutely dry-humped by Manure, and we were awesome.

BUT I also think that once those games are out of the way, we’ll have almost all our best players back, plus JFK returning, and all of that will lead to a good run-in and survival by the crud that clings to the poo of the bugs that live on the skin of our teeth.

At least it’s not dull, eh. Pass the drugs.

• Stardust

Mar 18, 2009 at 10:53 AM

Whumpie

One tone that should be encouraged to be consitent is “objectivity” a view point so often missed.

• Stuart79

Mar 18, 2009 at 10:53 AM

Also Dragonera I came on here last week and praised the team for the performance against Man Utd.

That was one of the very few positive things to happen to the club this season and I apprecieted that.

So I don’t just spout the same crap. It’s just that that’s all I’m seeing

• batty

Mar 18, 2009 at 10:56 AM

Stardust // Mar 18, 2009 at 10:51 AM

Stuart

Difference is our opinions do not undermine the club or players.

dont think ive ever agreed with you before but your spot on for once i was argueing this yesterday ive never booed one ov our players you have only got to look at stoke fans they never stop singing even if they are 2 down we no longer have a 12th man FACT

• Stuart79

Mar 18, 2009 at 10:58 AM

Stardust // Mar 18, 2009 at 10:51 AM

Stuart

Difference is our opinions do not undermine the club or players.

Can you prove that comment?

I’ll quote you ‘ I deal in only facts’ You have NO evidence that ‘I’ am a supporter like that’

I sing my heart out every home game, even when were crap (often) lol I have never and will never boo one of our own players nd didn’t get involved in the demo so don’t ever accuse me of that!

• Dragonera

Mar 18, 2009 at 11:00 AM

I don’t think it’s a case of not having a 12th man, it’s just that the 12th man only seems to turn up to away games nowadays. I have to commend the fans that travel week in, week out and out-sing the opposition 9 times out of 10.