Newcastle Will Take Good Care Of Sebastien Bassong

Sebastien Bassong has today been asked again about what his contract situation is at Newcastle.

sebastien-bassong-90909

Sebastien Basssong – wants to concentrate on playing right now

Bassong has confirmed that Newcastle United want to sign  him to a new and improved long-term contract, but this is probably not the most important thing to concentrate on right now, with Newcastle being in such a precarious position in the league.

Bassong told the Daily Star this morning:

“Newcastle’s management want me to sign a contract extension, but nothing has been agreed,”

“There has been talk of a lot of players leaving during the summer. It’s not my responsibility, but I’ll obviously follow the situation closely.”

“It is down to me to weigh up the pros and cons and I will take my time to make up my mind. I’ve heard about Arsenal, but this is not the time to talk about it.”

“I have stepped up a level since joining Newcastle, but I am still serving my apprenticeship and have lots more to learn.”

“For the time being I can say I’ve made a good choice, though a lot of water has gone under the bridge since my trial last summer and I have earned my place in the first-team.”

We would expect Sebastien to sing a long term deal at the club, whether Newcastle survive in the Premier league or not, as Seb would be more than outstanding in helping Newcastle come straight back up from the Championship.

The fact that Arsenal are interested will help the lad get a good deal at Newcastle, but he has already earned that by his displays on Tyneside, and we think the current regime will ensure the offer made to Seb will be a very good one, that he would find hard to turn down.

While the club have made too many dubious decisions in the past, on some contract negotiations with players, this lad is worth the money, and Newcastle will ensure he gets a good deal, so he will stay on Tyneside, and help Newcastle in their attempts to get  back to greatness.

Or that’s what we are hoping, in any case. 😀

• Dan4Toon

Mar 19, 2009 at 11:35 AM

i think he will stay if we stay up !!! bottom line

• Stuart79

Mar 19, 2009 at 11:41 AM

It will be difficult to keep him if Arsenal come in for him I think.

He’s better than any Arsenal defender so I believe their interest is real.

If we can’t keep Given what chance of keeping Bassong?

• RyanToon

Mar 19, 2009 at 11:48 AM

top player but IMO he wont be with us next season. shame

• Widowmaker

Mar 19, 2009 at 11:48 AM

Well, it sounds he is really interested in playing for Arsenal, but who wouldn’t? Zog even asked to leave us for WIGAN!!?? Many things need to be done in the summer or next season will just be another nightmare …no matter which league we will be playing in.

• sirjasontoon

Mar 19, 2009 at 11:54 AM

Arsenal.
    Ticks all the Wenger boxes..nice knowing you Seb.

• lesh

Mar 19, 2009 at 11:55 AM

Ed…. ‘We would expect Sebastien to sing a long term deal at the club’ ?? We’d hope’d be more appropriate don’t you think?

What lenghth contract’s he on and why don’t the club build in substatial increments subject to performance? That way, young players can see some incentive to stick around but despite that, what happened to the days when a contract was a contract and binding?

• WELSHMAG

Mar 19, 2009 at 11:58 AM

This guy could become one of the best prem defenders in a few years. It’s talent like this that we must make sure we keep! if it takes 25-30k a week to keep then so be it, he’s worth the money. I just hope he keeps his head on the ground and keeps playing as all this fuss can cause problems and we don’t want another n’zogbia on our hands. Watch him put in an amazing display at Arsenal, wenger will be creaming his pants and he’ll offer 12 million in the summer! I’m dreading it.

So what’s the deal with Collocini? he’s having a really bad run at the moment, he looks slow and hasn’t really settled in the prem. He’s also been dropped for the Argentina squad which will piss him off big time. Perhaps he might be looking for a way-out this summer? I hope he sticks with us as I believe he can settle in the prem, it’ll just take a little while. It’s a shame though when players come to Newcastle thinking it’ll be a good move for them and they end up getting dropped and in a relegation battle.

• Whumpie

Mar 19, 2009 at 12:05 PM

I’m not all that confident of keeping him, and these quotes don’t help. But I have some hope that if we do put together a good recovery run now – and I think we will – then he’ll put pen to paper.

If we go down or just scrape through, though – I think he may well be gone.

• Toon Graeme

Mar 19, 2009 at 12:12 PM

Bassong was been instrumental in our back four this season.

The last thing I want is to start worrying about players leaving – ontop of everything else at NUFC – but its a reality I think we need to prepare for.

• Whumpie

Mar 19, 2009 at 12:15 PM

I think we have to be realistic and accept that some of our best players may have had enough and want to leave – especially the younger, more recent arrivals who didn’t sign up for the kind of season they’ve just endured.

Shame, but you can’t blame them.

• Toon Graeme

Mar 19, 2009 at 12:23 PM

Whumpie –

You could say its a learning experience for them in many ways!

Managerless – crap injuries – duff tactics – draws – losses – excellent reserve team.

Another year in the life of the toon.

A couple of pints of liquid nerve settler needed on Saturday afternoon me thinks.

I would love 3 points – Its not inconcieable that we couldnt pull it off. Only time will tell.

• Toon Graeme

Mar 19, 2009 at 12:24 PM

My spelling today is pants!

• NorthernPaul

Mar 19, 2009 at 12:26 PM

I think he’ll leave regardless of our league status.

This is exactly what Ashley wants: buy in youth for pennies, sell them for a nice profit.

• valle

Mar 19, 2009 at 1:03 PM

Im freakin sick and tired of players talking up a move in the media, this could lead the way to a new Zog kind of situation and im starting to hope that we stay well clear of french players in general in the future. I know im bitter, but this is not the freakin time for him to state things like that to the media, we are fighting relegation ffs!!!. Both the club and allot of fans seem to accept this disrrespect for the club and its weak and pathetic… rant over.

• sirjasontoon

Mar 19, 2009 at 1:20 PM

He has been putting himself in the window a while,hardly blame him as he will have no chance of a french call up playing in the championship next season.

• bennytoon

Mar 19, 2009 at 1:20 PM

So even if you do stay up your 2 best players(owen and bassong) are leaving. Its going to cost a fortune to replace them and your ageing players like butt, viduka and duff. And thats without spending on the weak areas of your team. Its gonna cost ashley a fortune without any money coming in for players like owen and viduka. I can see you struggling again next season if you stay up.

It ight be a blessing if you go down as you will have the partachute payments and you can bring in the youngsters while hopefully having the strongest squad in the division.

• Darling27

Mar 19, 2009 at 1:21 PM

I hope some how we can keep this lad.

• Mag 48

Mar 19, 2009 at 1:29 PM

Points to look at.
    Keegan attracted him here and that soon went belly up.
    The season has been a disaster and gets worse by the day.
    The future for next season looks bleak and with this management team it won’t matter what division we’re in
    In Bassongs shoe’s what would you do be honest?

• Ericles

Mar 19, 2009 at 1:43 PM

Northern Paul is right. Ashley sees NUFC as nothing but a business, a personal pocket liner. He sees players, regardless of who they are, as mere saleable commodities. All Ashley wants to do is make a profitable killing and using NUFC as a means to do it. The trouble is he does not care about killing NUFC to achieve his aim. That is why Bassong will go south. He may as well. The clowns of NUFC are “going west” as far as I can make out. Up to us fans to stop that happening. Am I right but are these young French players somewhat temperamental? One sentence in a press rag and they turn into a bunch of prima donna divas. They used to call them cissies.

• It Could Be Worse...We Could Be Spurs -DC-

Mar 19, 2009 at 1:57 PM

he’s off then…

• workyticket

Mar 19, 2009 at 2:07 PM

Mag 48 // Mar 19, 2009 at 1:29 PM

“Points to look at.
    Keegan attracted him here and that soon went belly up.”

Metz’s relegation attracted him here. That’s why he was offered to the club.

• workyticket

Mar 19, 2009 at 2:17 PM

Ericles // Mar 19, 2009 at 1:43 PM

“All Ashley wants to do is make a profitable killing and using NUFC as a means to do it. The trouble is he does not care about killing NUFC to achieve his aim. ”

Ericles, that doesn’t make any sense at all. Could you please explain how he will recoup his investment in the club by killing it?

• LoonyToon @ graft

Mar 19, 2009 at 2:31 PM

dont normally copy and paste articles but he is a different angle on the Bassong situation…makes a nice change to the negative spin

SEBASTIEN Bassong has reaffirmed his commitment to Newcastle United in the wake of reports he is eyeing a move away from St James’s Park.
    The defender has been a revelation since joining from French club Metz in a cut-price deal last summer.

And Newcastle are keen to agree a new long-term deal with Bassong, despite the 22-year-old being under contract at St James’s Park until 2011.

Arsenal have been credited with an interest in him, and while the centre-half will most likely wait until the club’s Premier League fate is known before deciding whether to sign a fresh deal, he is keen to emphasise his commitment to the cause.

“I hope the situation will be better for the team and the club, but for myself I’m very happy to be here,” Bassong said.

“I’m in a new country and it’s a new challenge for me, so I’m enjoying it – everything is good.

“I’m enjoying it because I’m playing. When you play, it’s the best thing.”

The speed at which Bassong – who has established himself as a first-choice centre-half alongside Fabricio Coloccini – has settled in England has taken most by surprise, but the Paris-born player insists he was always confident he would adapt to the Premier League.

He went on: “Myself, I’m not surprised. I was ready in my head when I knew I was coming to England.

“I was ready with my family and friends. I knew the English spirit.

“I’m not surprised, but I think people can be surprised.”

• Ericles

Mar 19, 2009 at 3:17 PM

Workyticket: He will not destroy NUFC in a business sense. What I was trying to convey is that Ashley does not give a hoot for the history of NUFC, the heritage and history of the fans, the heritage and history of Tyneside. Ashley does not see NUFC as the Geordies and their families, their ancestors do. He has no feeling or understanding of what it means to be part of the Toon Army. He never will. The fans and the club to Ashley are just a means to an end – fat profits in his fat hands!

• workyticket

Mar 19, 2009 at 4:04 PM

Ericles // Mar 19, 2009 at 3:17 PM

“What I was trying to convey is that Ashley does not give a hoot for the history of NUFC, the heritage and history of the fans, the heritage and history of Tyneside. ”

Do you think our last owners did then Ericles?

• Paul141726

Mar 19, 2009 at 5:36 PM

To answer Ed’s statement headline–no we won’t!!! We go down and he’s definately gone. Stay up and it will still be touch-and-go. Shame really.

• Tom_Toon

Mar 19, 2009 at 5:54 PM

Ed – What the hell bru! You think think he’ll stay with us if we go down?!?!? I doubt he will even if we stay up! He is one of the best young defenders and would start in most teams outside the top 4 and some in the top 4 (Arsenal).

• sahota

Mar 20, 2009 at 9:37 AM

Ed ….. PLEASEEEEEEEE don’t talk about going down. It is very painful to even think about that. We should not think about it now. Lets just be behind team and give it a go. We should be bit positive at this moment. Thats need of hour. If we start talking about going down and who will be with us when we play in championship, I think we are running ahead of time. Also this creates more scare for everyone 🙂

• Stardust

Mar 20, 2009 at 10:56 AM

Ericles “Northern Paul is right. Ashley sees NUFC as nothing but a business, a personal pocket liner”

A disgusting line when in light of the known facts and auditted accounts is shown and proven to be an absolute LIE.

Shame on you.