Owen Tries To Defend Terrible Injury Record at Newcastle

Michael Owen has talked again to the Newcastle Journal this morning, and he has rather surprisingly tried to defend his terrible injury record on Tyneside, but why, we’re not too sure.

michael-owen-8597

Michael Owen – tries to defend injury record on Tyneside

Michael’s injury record has been terrible at Newcastle and after almost 4 seasons on Tyneside, he has started just 60 games, with an additional 11 substitute appearances,  and has scored 30 goals.

Michael said this morning:

“There is no hiding from the fact injuries have been the bane of my time at Newcastle. It is frustrating, however, and people will probably laugh, but I know I’m not injury-prone.”

“If you look at my time at Newcastle, the problems started when Paul Robinson landed on my foot against Tottenham just after Christmas. Loads of people get metatarsal injuries, but they are normally not as bad as mine. Nobody’s foot would not have broken in that situation.”

“I’ve then rushed my preparations for the World Cup. I played half-a-game for Newcastle. After being in plaster for so long my leg was de-conditioned and with hindsight, I should never have gone to Germany with England.”

“It’s easy to say that now, but if I had my time again I would still have gone because it was a World Cup. I’m not thinking what could have been, but with hindsight my leg was half as strong as it should have been.”

“Muscles support limbs and I twisted my knee awkwardly and that was it. All that came from someone landing on my foot, so I don’t think it’s my fault.”

Michael was criticized a lot in 2006, for looking to be more interested in making that World Cup for England, than anything else, but it’s hard to blame the lad for wanting to represent his country.

However, Owen just wasn’t strong enough to play, and that showed up quickly in the tournament, with his terrible knee injury, which kept him out of the Newcastle side almost a full season.

The knee injury was suffered in the first half of England’s 2-2 draw with Sweden in the final game of the group stage.  Michael’s first two seasons at Newcastle were just completely wrecked by injury, and he appeared just 14 times, but still managed 7 goals.

In the last two seasons things have improved from then, but how could they not do, and he’s appeared 33 times, with 13 goals last season, and 24 times so far this season, with 10 goals.

Of course Newcastle fans are all hoping he can score a few more goals in the final 9 games to help Newcastle survive in the Premier league.

It’s hard to argue that Michael has been value for money over the last four seasons, and it doesn’t really matter who’s fault it is – it’s one of those things, but it’s still been a poor deal for the Tyneside club.

Michael continued:

“I know I’ve had valid reasons for why I’ve picked up injuries. I had a reputation for being injury-prone because I’d had a few hamstring problems at Liverpool.”   “At Real Madrid people said I was on the bench the whole time, but I started more games than I was a substitute.”

“Then came the foot and knee injuries. Since then I’ve had hernia surgery – which is very common – and I was playing again and scoring nine days later against Everton."   "This season I twisted my ankle, which was another freak thing because I landed on the foot of the defender and that caused the problem.”

“I can understand people saying I should have played more because nobody wants to play more than me, but it does frustrate me when people say I’m injury-prone.” “There is no way I go on to the pitch and I am more fragile than anyone else. The injuries I’ve had could have happened to anyone in those circumstances.”

One thing that is not in Michael’s favor, is that as you age your body nasturally  become more prone to injuries, and therefore the future for him, in terms of niggling injuries doesn’t look that bright.

You just have to look at Mark Viduka, who’s body seems to be completely finished, and just cannot take the rigors of playing full time professional football any more. Mark has started one game for the club this season, and is out injured again, but we still pay the Aussie around £60K/week.

Michael added:

“Hopefully the injuries haven’t detracted from me as a player. I’ve adapted my game as I’ve got older and my body has dictated that to an extent. When I was 18 and 19 I was flying down the wings like a greyhound, beating players and crossing the ball.”

“Alan Shearer was the same, he changed his game and became more of a target man towards the end, but he still got the goals.” “Clever players will always manage to adapt, they will always find a way of prevailing even if their bodies change.”

“The one thing I’ve got a history of is taking one or two games to get into my stride again, but we haven’t got time for me to do that. Hopefully my eye is in straight away and I start knocking the goals in again immediately.”

Of course the only thing Newcastle fans are thinking right now is that Michael can fire in the goals that will allow the club to get away from the relegation zone, and survive this season in the Premier league.

If he can do that, Newcastle fans will likely be very satisfied with Michael, at least for this season.

But we wonder why he has chosen this time to come our and defend his injury record, and try to say he’s not really injury prone.  It’s hard not to think he’s selling himself for a high salary, either at  Newcastle or at some other club.

Whether Michael stays or leaves Tyneside will be his choice, if  Newcastle United remain in the Premier league, as the club will offer him a good new deal to stay.

We really have no idea what he will finally decide on his future, but we would hope he’ll stay with the club, and do that as soon as we are safe from relegation.

What do you think about this?

Let us know – comments always welcome.

• Monster

Mar 19, 2009 at 10:06 AM

Time for another MO debate!

Personally, I think he’s got a lot to offer us. I’d be very surprised if he was still here next season tho. I think the only way that will happen will be if he gets injured again.

• RichY

Mar 19, 2009 at 10:08 AM

1st
    and he is definitely trying to tell other clubs he has no problems and that he is available.

• Monster

Mar 19, 2009 at 10:09 AM

unlucky matey

• Purely Belter

Mar 19, 2009 at 10:12 AM

owen must have had a few too many on st pattys…

he is like dyer

i wouldnt cry if he leaves

• komfort

Mar 19, 2009 at 10:19 AM

he must think we’ve just come up the tyne in a biscuit tin!!!..now stay fit for your final 9 games and bang the goals in to keep us up.

• shearerbliss

Mar 19, 2009 at 10:21 AM

Best if he leaves! The team is not stucture to play to MO strengths. It accually weakens the team when he plays. We dont have the creativity to get the best out of our pacey players or intelgaent ones. I would like to see the back of him even though some may not like to hear that. I want hungry strikers with a bit of pace.
    The most upsetting thing is that if say AVFC get MO he will be a star injury free. NUFC have been riped off by MO and build his horse empire for part time player.

• Stuart79

Mar 19, 2009 at 10:22 AM

I think it’s fair to say he hasn’t really deserved the wages he is on.

He’ll end up at Man City next season without a doubt. Their the only ones who will be desperate enough to pay his wages.

• Monster

Mar 19, 2009 at 10:29 AM

@shearerbliss

“The team is not stucture to play to MO strengths”

I’m not too sure about that. I think we’ve got the players to put together a team that would happily accommodate MO. The problem is that it would require playing him behind a front 2 and that’s just not going to happen.

• brownrob

Mar 19, 2009 at 10:34 AM

I reckon he is trying to soften the blow when he leaves in the summer

“sorry lads, im off but i would have played more if i hadnt been injured!

• Sav

Mar 19, 2009 at 10:40 AM

Still a class act in front of goal, but when you think of what he has cost and what we’ve had in return. And to think we’ll get nothing at all if he walks away in June.
    As RichY says, its just the opening gambit of his next career move – probably to ManCity where the cache of having St. Mick may be worth as much as what he delivers – much as it was for FFS when he signed Owen for us – get your trophies before the season kicks off, its always a good move.

• shearerbliss

Mar 19, 2009 at 10:43 AM

Monster I have to disagree. What does MO bring to NUFC? Most of the goals that he has scored is through luck and being in the right place at the right time.
    As for england and why he is dropped is because player like beckam,owen and crouch bring a one dimensional style of play which is easily read by the opposition team.
    In my opion to play to MO strengths we MUST have a creative pacey midfielder to lay on such chances that would allow MO to get behind the opposition’s defence. He does NOT make his own goals therefore as a team we would need a sacrifical big man (Ducks or Hesky) and an energetic midfield (barton gerad) to get the best out of him. Sadly our players are just injuried to much.

• TheToonKing

Mar 19, 2009 at 10:44 AM

I’m still saying our most important player for the future is Barton but Owen is still a proven goalscorer and i would love the see him retire from Newcastle….hope he stays.

• Sav

Mar 19, 2009 at 10:47 AM

Ideally, would see some of his whacking wage-packet going to fund someone like Kevin Doyle (if he doesn’t pass us on the stairs, as it were) to make an intelligent, hard-running partner for Oba who will chip in his fair share f goals and will play 95% of games. We’d get far better value out of both players than we do now playing Owen and Martins together.

• Bill F

Mar 19, 2009 at 10:51 AM

Sorry Michael but these debates about you just make me sl slee———- zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• sirjasontoon

Mar 19, 2009 at 11:17 AM

Yawn..simple question I would ask him.

Michael do you honestly feel in your heart of hearts you have been good value for money at newcastle?

Enjoy Man City.

• roscoe

Mar 19, 2009 at 11:32 AM

Hes selling himself to other clubs already??

Nice one MO! real professional that.

bring on sat!!

TOONTOON!!

• LoonyToon @ graft

Mar 19, 2009 at 11:52 AM

Personally I would like to see him stay however if he does go, then I would love to see us go after Darren Bent….pacey, quick, strong and scores goals….Oba and Bent would be an outstanding partnership who would compliment each other perfectly…..

Would also like to see young Ranger brought into the fold in the summer and given a right good run out in the pre season games….

Seen the lad play a few times this season and he also is strong, pacey and scores a few…..

• evildick

Mar 19, 2009 at 11:54 AM

boring.

• RyanToon

Mar 19, 2009 at 11:59 AM

some of you make me laugh you slag owen off.

remind me how many games have we won WITHOUT him in the team??? this season???

• shearerbliss

Mar 19, 2009 at 12:10 PM

RT if you go back to my point earlier we can not build a team around an injured player. So it is not slaging him off it is only facts. How many teams break the bank to buy a worldclass player that never playes. So to answer your questions we would have won more games without him obviously if he has only played a few games over four years!
    He has been MISSING for four seasons! So do the maths, are you saying his goals have kept us up for those seasons. I think NOT!

• RyanToon

Mar 19, 2009 at 12:15 PM

shearerbliss

owen kept us up last season fact

• shearerbliss

Mar 19, 2009 at 12:26 PM

I dont think so, if I remeber correctly majority of our points was won under BS where owen played a small part in. I agree once the formation KK put together clicked we ammased enough to be safe. But making out it was a one man show I cant agree. There was a 3 prong attack which with oba and duke kept defenders busy for owen to strike, but all contributed to that sucsses.
    That only worked because as I said before owen up front is to one dimensional. If he drops deep it is hard to mark him BUT puts more onus on the midfield. Which if you read eailer post we need if owen is to be a sucsess on NUFC.

• ToonTinka

Mar 19, 2009 at 12:30 PM

For me it’s a case of him trying to send a message out to other clubs for the summer, that he is not the fragile little front man he is, fact is he is.

His record is shocking to say the least.

• shearerbliss

Mar 19, 2009 at 12:35 PM

Other clubs know this tinka, he is not fooling anyone! If any club takes a risk on him it would be under a pay cut or pay as you play contract.
    His best deal is what NUFC has on the table and I agree with the board take it or leave it!
    Dont get me wrong I like the guy but on £400,000+ a month I would EXPECT a better return an that is not including the 17m paid for the guy. Worse signing than Boumsong in my opinon!

• TORONTOON

Mar 19, 2009 at 1:02 PM

he’s a high milage car and parts are starting to fall apart permanently. sure when he plays he’s 1 in2, but there is no way he can play even half a season. the only way i’d keep him is a pay-per-play basis like saha is on.

xisco and martins is the future. viduka and owen is the past; and these two will free up 170k/week on wages…

• TORONTOON

Mar 19, 2009 at 1:13 PM

by the way that money should be used to tie bassong down; MUST BE A PRIORITY!!!

• Darling27

Mar 19, 2009 at 1:17 PM

Talk about trying to put yourself in the shop window.

• clinta

Mar 19, 2009 at 2:12 PM

I’m not that bothered either way and won’t be too sorry or worried to see him leave. His best years are well past him, I’d prefer it if (and it’s a big if!) we got a couple of good young hungry strikers in from somewhere.

Then again we’ve always got SHOLA who we can count on 🙂

• Nick 69

Mar 19, 2009 at 2:28 PM

shearerbliss // Mar 19, 2009 at 10:43 AM

are you really that dumb to think that its luck that hes in the right place at the right time, hes made his career out of doing that, that is the thing he brings to the team, he knows how to anticipate where the ball will go and positions himself accordingly which is why hes always in the right place!! its goals that win you games and being their to put the ball in the net is the most important thing for us right now and he is the ONLY player we have in the squad with the ability to do that.

• shearer9

Mar 19, 2009 at 2:53 PM

Nick 69, i do agree with you that he is the only player right now that is capable of doing that. BUT, he most likely won’t be around next season (unless he is still injured) as he will sign for other clubs that are willing to pay him more… He should be grateful for what we have done for him and how we have supported him. He should show his loyalty by staying…..

What we are missing is the man himself… Alan the main man Shearer…. We need someone of his capability.. someone of his stature.. someone of his class and finishing… Would the rightful number 9 consider coming back? I think he would still be able to score more goals that any of the current strikers….

• Robbanufc

Mar 19, 2009 at 3:11 PM

Lets be honest with ourselves guys.. MO has played as much as he could have, and even a bit more then that for us. He’s played when he just came back from long term injuries, so I would rather blame the management for playing him. Players who just come back from injuries are more likely to get injured again.. fact.

If MO stays fit for the rest of the season, I think he will fire us to safety. He’s got a incredible goal scoring record, and he has been a world class striker, and we cant do anything but to hope he will find that form again. Having MO in our squad boosts the youngsters, and he will attract more young talent to the club.

I want him to stay, but I wouldnt mind him taking a lower wage, because he’s too much injured.

• shearerbliss

Mar 19, 2009 at 3:13 PM

Nick 69 i now what you are saying mate but I think you lost my point! Over the last 4 seasons how many goals have MO made his self? I play football as problaly you. How many players have you seen that could poke the ball in the back of the net standing here or standing there. Does that make them the BEST player on the team. I think not! Now I have seen nothing from him to say he is a stand out 17 mill + striker I am sorry. Edaduo is a more accomplished finisher for less than 5mil! So I dont buy this. As I said you need a certain type of team to play to his strengths so he could get these lucky goals sometimes, that is why he will not be playing for England in the near future.
    Nick do you think it is a coincedence England is playing good without there top striker. Or do you see that Englands game plan is for ALL players to work hard for the team FIRST then the goals could be spread out. Not just give owen easy tap ins.
    Here a poll for a 10mill + striker would you expect him to make there own goals or be set up by others?

• Tom_Toon