Peter Beardsley Fully Backs Mike Ashley At Newcastle

Peter Beardsley has come out today in support of Newcastle owner Mike Ashley, which he also did in late December, just before Mike announced he was in fact not selling the club.

mike-ashley-with-llambias1

Derek Llambias with Mike Ashley at a game

Today Peter says his opinion is his own, and was formed after talking to key players at the club, and some members in the Newcastle boardroom, including Mike Ashley, Derek Llambias and Dennis Wise.

Peter played with fire today, as he made his opinions very clear, which of course is his right:

“I am entitled to my opinion,” “The fans know where I’m coming from – they know this has been my club all of my life.”

“If in five to 10 years’ time Mike Ashley’s not here, I will still be a Newcastle fan. I’m lucky, I’ve had conversations with Mike Ashley, so I know how positive he is towards the future.”

“I’ve also had conversations with Derek Lambias, Dennis Wise and Richard Money, and the club has a positive future.” “We all know it hinges on the first team being successful – but if they survive, I don’t see us being in a relegation battle ever again.”

“While Mike Ashley is at the club, I don’t see us ever being in this situation again. Circumstances have put us in this position – injuries to key players like Martins, Owen and Viduka have had a massive impact.”

“That would decimate any team – just look how Arsenal struggled this season without their top players.”

Like most things on Tyneside, the view on Mike Ashley is black or white.

What we mean by that, are  the opinions of the fans on the man are either completely one way – or the opposite.

In general, either Newcastle fans think Mike is only trying to do his best at the club, and he has run into some problems, probably because of his inexperience in running a football club, but he’s  learning and has admitted the mistakes, which he says he will not make again.

Other fans think he’s the very worst thing to happen to Newcastle, and he’s only in it for the money.

Whatever you think, we will have Ashley running the club for the next few seasons in all likelihood, and we would hope that after this terrible season, Mike will assist Joe Kinnear and the staff,  in recruiting some great players and youngsters to the club, so that come September our squad will be both bigger and much better than last season.

If he can do that then Mike can start showing by his actions, that he really does have the good of Newcastle United at heart.

Comments welcome – but please keep them decent – thanks.

• RyanToon

Mar 19, 2009 at 12:11 PM

ill always support newcastle but im not happy with ashley owning the club but i suppose thats tough luck

• Toon Graeme

Mar 19, 2009 at 12:20 PM

Ryan – I agree with you about always supporting the toon.

I still think our club in cursed and have never stopped thinking that. Even more so this season.

I just hope that we can pull it out the bag on Saturday. We (the crowd) need to get behind the lads through the good and any bad that may occur, we score – we raise the roof – they score we raise the roof to get behind the lads and spur them on.

Im on countdown til sat now.

HOWAY THE LADS

• THE MAGPIE

Mar 19, 2009 at 12:23 PM

There is no reason that we will not be in a relegation battle again next season.

• Magpie Neil

Mar 19, 2009 at 12:24 PM

Ed please stop talking about a Joe Kinnear future its depressing!

If we are going to go forward we need Kinnear and his back room staff out of this club.

Kinnears record speaks for itself, he needs to make way for a younger more technically competent manager.

• Toon Graeme

Mar 19, 2009 at 12:29 PM

Will Beye go straight back into the first team?

A question I have been wondering about all week.

My gut says he will warm the bench.

• ToonTinka

Mar 19, 2009 at 12:36 PM

That’s Beardo keeping his job safe as an ambassador, nothing else to me.

He will know we have gone back since MA’s leadership.

• sirjasontoon

Mar 19, 2009 at 12:41 PM

Hot Air,sorry Peter you are a Legend but you are talking turd buddy.

• Johno Toon

Mar 19, 2009 at 12:57 PM

Find it very funny that a man who would know more about football than anyone who comes on here put together is been slated for giving his honest opinion about how this football club is run

• sirjasontoon

Mar 19, 2009 at 1:11 PM

It is not an honest opinion..regardless of his legendary status he is on the Ashley payroll.

He is hardly going to come out and say “Mike is destroying Newcastle “, I don’t think that would go down well with his Master.

• big boomer

Mar 19, 2009 at 1:13 PM

Pedro one of the toon modern day greats but he reaaly shouldn’t be coming out with that sort of talk. I can forgive him though.

• big boomer

Mar 19, 2009 at 1:15 PM

Steven Tayls despite his better than average performance could lose out this week. What with Whitley fit again and namesake Ryan looking better positional right back. there is no way Ryan can be considered for midfield now we have players back

• Toon Graeme

Mar 19, 2009 at 1:25 PM

Pedro quoted in the chronicle saying how Shola has provided 50 goals for we and we should cut him some slack (laymans terms).

For me with Shola its his visable attitude – he looks three steps behind, slow, doesnt run in for the ball – cant be buffed to go on.

• coyote

Mar 19, 2009 at 1:33 PM

toon graeme
    agree with you about bambi – if he appeared to be busting a gut for the toon some of his failings could be excused but when he doesn’t appear to put the effort in it infuriates me
    he needs someone like big john mcnamee behind him to fighten the life out of him when he appears not to be trying(defence could do withhim too)

• Toon Graeme

Mar 19, 2009 at 1:37 PM

Coyote – I can see where Peter is coming from in his article too.

With Shola its a case of frustration with me. He had a good few games and seemed to pull himself around and then he nosed dived back to his ‘usual’.

• magforlife

Mar 19, 2009 at 1:48 PM

To be a premier league player with wages to go with it, surely you must have at least one skill you excel at, someone please name me any one Amadonkey has because i cant see anything whatsoever.

• LoonyToon @ graft

Mar 19, 2009 at 2:42 PM

Cannot see Peter lowering himself to come out and say stuff like just to keep the owner happy….

he aint a yes man….he is his own man….

Read some posts about Shola….The ability to be a good premiership striker has always been there…anyone who witnessed the Champions League games against Barca in the Nou Camp (He was outstanding) and Leverkusen away would be blind not to notice the lad has ability….

Its his application that lets him down alongside the lack of mental strength to go out there, when the chips are down and people are on his case and prove his doubters wrong by putting in performances worthy of a regular place in the side….

Shame really as the lad has strength, a bit of pace, decent touch and is skillful on the ball…

If, 5/6 years ago, he had his rough edges ironed out then we could have had a right player on our hands….

It is time for the lad to move on….for his own sake….

• sirjasontoon

Mar 19, 2009 at 3:16 PM

Waffle.
    Shola is shocking and his new contract baffled the hell out of me.

• Stuart79

Mar 19, 2009 at 3:23 PM

He i on the pay roll, lets not forget that.

A turkey wouldn’t vote for Christmas would it now!

• Ross

Mar 19, 2009 at 3:23 PM

Graeme-I agree RE shola…i feel sorry for him if im honest. Fans have been on his back for years and im sure he tries hard like, but there are times where it doesnt look like it at all. He seems to jog everywhere, looks uninterested at times. If you watch him at set pieces aswell he is always standing offside, always. At first i thought “right, thats his game, he’ll step back onside when the ball is played into the box”, but nah. He just waits in an offside position for the ball to come into the box, and stays there.
    Like i said i feel sorry for him and since Kinnear came he has seemed to improve a little…but still nothing spectacular. However he’s got a few goals for us, scored the penalty against the scum etc-which you cant fault him for.

• Stuart79

Mar 19, 2009 at 3:28 PM

Peter give ya head a shake man!

The clubs future is bright? How bright can it be with the best youngsters in the Fizzy league?

I’m putting his comments down to presription drugs!

• Toon Graeme

Mar 19, 2009 at 3:33 PM

Ross,

We have picked up the same things re Shola – so Im not going mad and thinking its just me then.

As I said earlier what annoys me was his run of form which improved and he was scoring and then u-turn back.

Frustrating – he wears the black & white – what can you do!?

• coyote

Mar 19, 2009 at 3:35 PM

Bamb I thought when Kinnear first came he applied himself better(it couldn’t get worse) then as soon as he got new contract back to his old ways
    I’m sure everyone wants him to succeed but he’s got to show he wants to
    all the ability nothing in the head would sum him up

• shearerbliss

Mar 19, 2009 at 3:47 PM

Useless is what comes in my head when shola name comes up! I can not belive he was awarded a new contract before the end of the season. I slightly agree with pedro on the board. They did not buy to intend to fail! But time will tell! I hope we could sell him to a championship team but when stoke turns you down you really are pants!

• Partizan

Mar 19, 2009 at 4:05 PM

A total reconstruction is needed in our team,,i’d say at least 6 players must be released in the Summer.

But first thing’s first…..we need a new manager in the Summer,,someone who has the courage to play our top youngsters:Ranger,Vuckic,Godsmark by promoting them in the first team and buy 4 more top players.

I’ve been absent for a while from the blog and i have no idea what is going on at the club,,but seems to me i haven’t missed that much at all.

Same old same old 🙂

• Stuart79

Mar 19, 2009 at 4:10 PM

Partizan // Mar 19, 2009 at 4:05 PM

The people running the club don’t have an idea what’s going on at the bloody club!

• Partizan

Mar 19, 2009 at 4:19 PM

Stuart79….I’ll tell you something,,these people would even relegate Birmingham to Divizion 1 if they get the chance.

A bunch of superclass morons running our great club.

• Stuart79

Mar 19, 2009 at 4:22 PM

Hope ya don’t mind me asking Partizan but what’s Birmingham gotta do with the price of fish?

• Partizan

Mar 19, 2009 at 4:25 PM

Nothing mate…i just put them as an example cos they’re a perfect promotion team but with these people for sure they’d make them a relegation material.

• batty

Mar 19, 2009 at 4:34 PM

Stuart79 i said hope before cos iam on one of me down days m8 but if iam truthfull we havent got a hope in hells chance ov staying up m8

• sirjasontoon

Mar 19, 2009 at 5:13 PM

Agree with Batty…fizzy pop fest nest season.
    Shola is Gash..proper donkey ehhhhhhhh awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww !

I actually hate Shola..best get used to him..3 year contract WTF where they thinking !!

• Paul141726

Mar 19, 2009 at 5:54 PM

Beardsley states that injuries have decimated other teams this year too and gives us Arsenal as an example!!! I’m sure we would love to be “decimated” like that and still be in their position. WE JUST AREN”T GOOD ENOUGH!

• Waldo P. Barnstormer

Mar 19, 2009 at 7:39 PM

Listening to talk sport this afternoon while waiting to pick the boy up from school. Wrighty and the ginger winger Adrian Durham were discussing the plans for a three tier with 20 teams in each, european super leage.

Theses plans are to be put in front of a UEFA panel and that they where wanted it to be in place by the 2012/13 season.

But the thing that really made me snigger a little, well actually quite a lot was the fact that five teams from the premier league were in place to resign from the PL. Obviously you had the top/SKY 4 are in the teams willing to quit the PL.

BUT

Who was the 5th team, was it Villa or Everton who have pushed for a place in the CL. NO. It is us the Toon, we are the fifth team in this list. Not surprisingly they had thier fun on the show along with anyone else who could text or call in.

The reason I’ve wrte this is to see what the Toon faithful thought on this proposal.

• Stardust

Mar 20, 2009 at 11:02 AM

sirjasontoon // Mar 19, 2009 at 12:41 PM

Hot Air,sorry Peter you are a Legend but you are talking turd buddy.

and Stuart.

You still maintain yourposition in light of the absence of evidence and facts.

A Newcastle legend speaks to the men concerned, he knows what is going on and supports them entirely. And you choose to know better from and armchair. Hideous and disgusting.

• Tom_Toon