Habib Beye Ready For Arsenal Tomorrow

Senegal defender Habib Beye will be in the Newcastle squad for tomorrow’s home game againsth Arsenal, after suffering ankle ligament damage at Wigan on Boxing Day.

habib-beye-410

Habib Beye – ready after 3 months out with ankle ligament damage

After a full three months out of action, Beye returned to full training a week ago today, and is now fully ready to take his place in the starting line-up, if selected, for tomorrow’s game.

Habib talked to the Newcastle United official site today:

“I feel really good because three months was a long time,” “It was a bad injury and we thought it would be four months out.”   “But it’s great to be able to play now because we have nine games to go.”

“I feared I would miss the rest of the season so it is a great relief to be back and be able to play my part.”   “We have nine games and 27 points to play for.”

“It doesn’t matter who we play, be it Arsenal or Chelsea, we must try to get points from every game to save the club because that is all that’s important.”

“That is why we need to do everything we can to keep the club up and that starts against Arsenal.” “When you are a professional footballer you want to play every game and it is a big game at home,”

“But I think the manager will decide if I’m ready after some more training and we’ll see if I’m on the bench or need more training.”

The team has certainly missed Habib’s experience and leadership at the back, and it will be good to get Habib back into the side.

However, we doubt if Habib will start tomorrow for a couple of reasons – one is that Steven Taylor was Man of the Match last weekend at Hull, and scored a great goal, and will likely keep his place.

The  second reason is that our next game is at home to Chelsea, in a couple of weeks time, and Habib will be able to get in extra training before then, and be ready to start that game.

He may of course be used tomorrow as a substitute, depending on the state of the game – but if he does come on – we hope it’s to maintain our lead – as tomorrow afternoon we desperately need all 3 points against an in-form Arsenal side.

But how many times have you heard that over the last couple of months?

• King-Habib

Mar 20, 2009 at 7:09 PM

YEEEEEEEEEEEEES!

• heavyhittas

Mar 20, 2009 at 7:18 PM

Great to see Habib back and though I dont rate Taylor he will be good cover on the bench for the rest of the season.

• Toon_Factor

Mar 20, 2009 at 7:24 PM

_____________Harper_____________

Beye____S.Taylor____Bassong___Enrique

____________Coloccini______________

____R.Taylor___________Gutierrez_____

______________Nolan_______________

__________Owen_____Martins_________

• Obafan

Mar 20, 2009 at 7:28 PM

Sunday Maonday Habib Beye
    Tuesday Wednesday …

We need him so desperatly. I wonder if Hughton will show the guts to let him start tomorrow (if Owen can start immediately then Beye should do the same).

I cannot wait for him to play together with Guti again down the right; they started to form a good duo.

• Robby Bobson

Mar 20, 2009 at 7:39 PM

Taylor has to be the one dropped, but knowing Hughton he will drop Bassong or Oba Martins or do something ridiculous.

If i remeber correctly last time Beye was out injured he was caught out once or twice, but he is a player of such quality he should come straight back into the team.

Defensively he is sound, but Taylor isnt drastically bad at right back, so where we will benefit from Beye is in their half of the field. I think Keegan said it last season, but is there a better right back in the league? i really dont think so.

• Robby Bobson

Mar 20, 2009 at 7:44 PM

….For the Arsneal game as Nolan will be back to cover Butt when he goes missing, Beye returning, Bassong being awesome, Enrique finding form and Colocinni being strongest and shows class when people run at him, Arsenal may find it hard to play it through us.

• always geordie

Mar 20, 2009 at 8:04 PM

Its all very well saying beye guthrie and nolan are back. hughton will not play any of them he will trot out butt geremi and s taylor.
    Look at the man and you can see he has no flair or panache.
    The fans want a team that will do the right things and please tomorrow I do not want to see aimless hoofs up the field. Oba and MO want the ball to feet or in behind defenders for them to run on. Pass and move must be the way and with that no more butt geremi or smith cause they can do niether.
    With the right team I am hopeful for tomorrow. The evening kick off will have the toon army well up for it and we can get about these southern shandy drinking wankers

• TonyGreenSupreme

Mar 20, 2009 at 8:06 PM

Great news,
    Must be accomodated, drop Coloccini, play Taylor alongside Bassong and recall Beye.
    I bet this upsets one or two…………….

• Mag 48

Mar 20, 2009 at 8:24 PM

How about:
    Harper
    Beye__coloccini__Bassong__Enrique
    Nolan
    R Taylor/Duff Gutierrez
    Owen
    S Taylor_____Martins
    I recon Steve would do really well up front!

• Toon Graeme

Mar 20, 2009 at 8:49 PM

Cattermole is a bastard!

I dont discount the lack of match fitness or sharpness – look at oba and MO.

Dont get me wrong – I would love Habib back and miss the guy but is he ready?

• Toon Graeme

Mar 20, 2009 at 8:51 PM

Beye – good link. 4 5 1 – Im gonna faint.

• spiderpig

Mar 20, 2009 at 10:44 PM

theres no way after 3 months out and one weeks training beye can be anything like match fit.he will be crucified by arsenal if he plays and thats if he doesnt injure himself.give him another week and a practice match i reckon.woulod sooner have a fully fit beye for 8 games

• spiderpig

Mar 20, 2009 at 10:51 PM

plus.duff needs to be on the left and jonas on the right.jonas has been woeful on the left the last few games.
    harper

taylor colo bass enriq

nolan butt smith

oba owen carroll

go route one up to the big lad .we cant play thru midfield anyway especially against arsenal.

• Sav

Mar 21, 2009 at 1:07 AM

Welcome back, Habib.
    Harsh to drop Taylor after getting us a point last week. More than that, he is always a real threat from set pieces and our best scoring defender for some time. But great to have HB back and hopefully to get a run out before the end.
    I’d be glad to see this guy made captain. Its ridiculous to continue with Owen when he has ignored his contract offer and speaks openly about possibility of a future elsewhere. Nowt personal but he shouldn’t be El Capitano.

• Tom_Toon

Mar 21, 2009 at 1:15 AM

Agree, Beye for captain.

Personally, when Habib is fully match fit, I’d drop Coloccini and play Beye at CB and keep Taylor at RB.

• Premiership Manager

Mar 21, 2009 at 9:32 AM

I can’t understand why so many people want Taylor to be dropped. Beye is a good player however if I had to drop anybody it would be Colo who is far to slow and hasn’t had a good game for ages. Although Taylor does get a slagging it’s often unwarrented.

Yes he does make mistakes but how many goals has he scored and how many times has he been awarded MoM. The only other defender who’s won MoM is Bassong. Colo regardless of what some people think is not worth the 10M we paid.

Tom Toons suggestion isn’t a bad one either .

Personally I’d go for Jonas and Lovenkrands on the wings with Nolan and Butt in midfield.

I’d start Carrol up front with Martins

• heavyhittas

Mar 21, 2009 at 12:34 PM

Surely if Beye is fit he has to play. If Steven Taylor MUST play I would play him in front of the CB’s in a holding role in midfield where he can kick, foul and shirt pull all day long and have Basong and Colo to sweep up for him. Actually as much as I dislike Taylor as a person and a player I would play him in midfield ahead of most of the midfield rubbish we have and feel he would do a better job.