Joe Kinnear As Positive As Ever – Plus Health Update

A good interview with Joe Kinnear in The Sun today, and an update on how the Newcastle manager is doing in his recovery from serious triple bypass surgery.

joe-kinnear-342

Joe Kinnear – recovering well – and as positive as ever

The 62-year-old Dublin-born Newcastle manager suffered a heart attack that forced him to quit as Wimbledon manager back in 1999, and felt unwell just before Newcastle game at WBA, which Newcastle went onto win 3-2 – but that unfortunately was Newcastle’s last win.

Of course Joe was kept in the hospital and operated on the following Friday, and he’s been laid up ever since, recovering from the major operation.

Kinnear told The Sun today:

“It was a serious operation. It has not been easy coming back but I am getting stronger on my feet every day.”

“I’ve still got 80 stitches inside my chest so they have to come out before I can get back to work. Oh, and an amazing scar that goes from my neck down to my toes.”

“They had to saw into my chest, take arteries out of one of my legs and deflate and reflate my lungs.”

“But I don’t feel bitter – just annoyed and frustrated I am sat here watching endless tapes of matches when I would rather be out there helping my club.”

“The doctors say you should have 10 weeks’ rest after the operation and I’ve had to be patient and started with 10-minute walks. But now I’m bombing around the park for half an hour at a time.

‘If all goes to plan and I continue to make the same progress, I’m assuming the specialist will give me the okay and it will be all-clear for the Tottenham game on April 18.”

But Newcastle have unfortunately failed to pull away from the bottom of the Premier League table, and that’s hardly good news for Joe. Wouldn’t it have been better if  Newcastle were now near mid-table and Joe could relax a little more, and not be forced to rush himself back this season.

We don’t think Joe will rush back because the doctors will just not allow it, but Joe’s the type of guy who will be wanting to come back tomorrow – if he was allowed to.

Joe will also be well advised to take more care of himself from now on, and losing a little bit of weight would be a good first step. But the Irishman is as confident as ever, and he thinks Newcastle can still survive this season, and he is hoping to be the manager on Tyneside come next season.

Joe continued:

“We’ll be safe if we win our home games. It looks like a big name could go down but it’s in our hands.”

Joe can still sign a contract that’s in place for him over the next two seasons, but before he signs, he has to keep himself a lot fitter, with a good diet and an excercise program in place.

If he can do that, that would be great for him, and he could carry on at the club – but we think he has to get fitter physically – because managing Newcastle United is just never easy – and that’s an understatement. Joe certainly has the mental toughness to be Newcastle manager, there’s little doubt about that, since he’s a fighter, and always has been.

Referring to the possibility of signing the new contract in the summer, Joe added:

“The big decision time will be in the summer. First I need to keep Newcastle up and know I am going to be fit enough for the job going forward.”

We (this blog) wishes Joe all the best and once he’s fit again we will welcome him back to the club.

Whatever you think of Joe as a manager, and Newcastle fans have very differing views, the man’s given everything he has (and more) for the Newcastle cause, in one of our worst periods ever, when nobody else was willing to take on the job, and you can hardly ask for anything more than that.

As we said, we wish Joe all the very best.

Comments very welcome.

• Stuart79

Mar 20, 2009 at 10:52 AM

He ain’t gonna be fit to do the job in the summer. No way!

Ashley and Llambias are gonna look a right pair of t1ts when their blind loyalty blows up in their faces and their left looking for a new manager!

Could have all been done 1 month ago!

• spiderpig

Mar 20, 2009 at 10:53 AM

gotta love his enthusiasm.its infectious.just dont know how far that gets you in the best league in the world.

• lesh

Mar 20, 2009 at 10:54 AM

Good article Ed….. didn’t know you were a fitness consultant too!

Anyway, what’s got to be first and foremost in everybodys’ minds is the health and life of Joe and I’m sure everyone appreciates that it’s not the time to be slagging him off!

Get well and more importantly, stay well Joe – NUFC’s not worth your life!!

• hitman

Mar 20, 2009 at 10:57 AM

i couldnt give a toss about JFKs health,i care about newcastles health first and fore most.

• overseasTOON

Mar 20, 2009 at 11:02 AM

All the best to him and his recovery but I’m very reluctant to see him back at the helm of Newcastle next season.

The club has to sever ties with the current management set up of Kinner, Hughton and Calderwood at the end of this season.

They are simply not good enough to move the club forward in the future regardless of what division we play in 2009/10…

• Toon Graeme

Mar 20, 2009 at 11:04 AM

Lesh – your last sentence is so spot on in every sense of the word!!!!

No job is worth your health – as I keep telling my mother – stubborn woman that she is!

Anyway – Ive got grave concerns about JFK and our future and agree or disagree with me but I think we need fresh and new in the summer.

My realism head says that wont happen.

JFK – concentrate on your health – not the club.

• BT9MAG

Mar 20, 2009 at 11:10 AM

Lesh – spot on.

Even if you look at it in the most inhumane, business like manner possible, Joe’s health is still an issue…Can you imagine the press/WUMs having a field day if our manager were to die on the job!

• Stuart79

Mar 20, 2009 at 11:11 AM

Toon Greame

We will have a new manager in the summer. Whether it’s one were happy with is another matter.

I know a couple of people who have had triple heart by passes and they reckon there is just no way he could do the job full time.

The pressure is just gonna be too much for him at his age in particular. Also lets be honest do you really think his wife will be saying ‘go on Joe give it a go!’

She won’t want him to take the risk.

There is a reason why he hasn’t signed his two year contract!

• Corinthian

Mar 20, 2009 at 11:12 AM

JFK should be told NOW that the club can not possibly contemplate bringing him back with the risks to his health that would entail. It just seems to me crazy and irresponsible that the club can realistically consider his returning to management. It is also an insult to the intelligence of the supporters, most of whom know better than this.

• Corinthian

Mar 20, 2009 at 11:13 AM

I’m not a doctor, its just common sense man!

• komfort

Mar 20, 2009 at 11:15 AM

bt9mag , yes and the blame would lead all the way back to the board room..not the terraces.

• Corinthian

Mar 20, 2009 at 11:16 AM

BT9 & Stuart –spot on

• Stuart79

Mar 20, 2009 at 11:17 AM

Corinthian

When you are scared stiff your mind does funny things. It doesn’t think rationally.

This is the only excuse I can think of for the current regime at the club.

Their obviously not thinking straight!

• WELSHMAG

Mar 20, 2009 at 11:22 AM

There’s a very good possibility we’ll be 19th at the end of the weekend.

That’s Second from bottom!!! The board like a good gamble don’t they?! I bet this is the most they’ve had on stake for a long time!

• Toon Graeme

Mar 20, 2009 at 11:33 AM

JFK would have known his health was failing before the incident that led him to hospital – tel tale signs would have showed up first – I would assume anyway.

Cardiotherasics (or however you spell it) aint my strong point – but i do know if you put vicks vapour rub on an infected toe nail – it kills the infection I sh*t you not!!

• RyanToon

Mar 20, 2009 at 11:36 AM

personally i loved joe from day one when he put the media in there place. i wouldnt be against him staying next season but i DONT think hell stay IF he keeps us up but if we go down i feel he will want to get us back up to the prem

• 51times

Mar 20, 2009 at 11:38 AM

Toon Graeme – Does that really work? I’ve heard white vinegar is good.

• Toon Graeme

Mar 20, 2009 at 11:40 AM

51times – Aye mate – gospel.

• boater

Mar 20, 2009 at 11:43 AM

Will Ashley face manslaughter charges if JK comes back, has a heart attack and dies on the pitch-side?

• 51times

Mar 20, 2009 at 11:49 AM

Hm, well my infection is already dead I think…just takes a while for them to look healthy again. Anyway this is offtopic and slightly gross.

• Toon Graeme

Mar 20, 2009 at 12:02 PM

51 times – 🙂

• Newckie

Mar 20, 2009 at 12:15 PM

Ed, your last paragraph says it all!

Good article mate.

Totally agree -I for one respect the man enormously for having the guts to fight the fight at both personal at wor lot of overpaid underachievers (and loopy fans.)

Personally I would love Joe back in the dugout! We desperately need that fire in the belly he has (and heaps of it) He’s a tough old bird. I admire that too. You can’t do any more than put your life on the line…Howay!!!!!

• Stuart79

Mar 20, 2009 at 12:17 PM

RyanToon // Mar 20, 2009 at 11:36 AM

If we went down I would actually be quite happy if Kinnear did stay as he hasa very good record at getting teams promoted.

I just think in the top division his ideas are dated.

• murvar

Mar 20, 2009 at 12:45 PM

Does anyone know the phone number of Kinnear’s doctor? I would offer him money to tell Joe to stay away or better still resign. He’s useless. And worse still, he’s at risk in a job like this. Come on Mrs Kinnear – put your foot down. (Unless she prefers life when he’s up here and she’s down ther in London or wherever they hang out.)

Newkie – come on! Joe was in the wilderness when we approached him; it wasn’t brave to take the job it was the act of a desperate man! We threw him a lifebely but he’s still in the water, the weather’s rough and there are sharks circling!

• Whumpie

Mar 20, 2009 at 1:09 PM

murvar – that’s unfair. It did take guts, and he’s done ok…ish with the situation he walked in to.

I think we’ve missed his motivational abilities (less so his tactical ones) and I’m fully prepared for starting our recovery run when he gets back. Probably from 19th place.

BUT I don’t think he’ll be manager next year – from what he’s said he’s already considering walking away for the good of his health. Good move all round if he does.

• Nick D

Mar 20, 2009 at 1:27 PM

Ryan toon he didn’t put the media in their place. The media had a field day with his ranting and raving – it was desperate stuff – only funny to a few adolescents.

Could you imagine a Wenger, KK, Benitez or O’Neil telling someone to F…off 51 times!! Kinnear made us an absolute laughing stock. We lost all credibility with his appointment.

Kinnear was never going to turn down 50k a week when he was unemployable by every other club, having played a large part in getting Forest & Luton relegated.

Kinnear is the clown who put on an extra defender at home when we were 2-0 up at half time against Stoke. Kinnear is a tactical pygmy and his record is very very poor, just made slightly more bearable by Hughton’s total lack of anything at all.

WE DESERVE SO MUCH MUCH BETTER.

• batty

Mar 20, 2009 at 1:32 PM

Whumpie hows he done ok m8?

• Slam Dunc

Mar 20, 2009 at 1:43 PM

A good article Ed and a scary description of the surgery Joe Kinnear has had.

Kinnear needs to put his health first and everyone wishes him well. However I can’t think of any reason why we should be asking him to come back.

Join the campaign to install a committed ex player who is an up and coming manager managing in the Champions League, Temuri Ketsbai

He can then bring on our young, up and coming players !!

• Tom_Toon