Sebastien Bassong Happy To Be At Newcastle

With Sebastien Bassong a likely target of Arsenal in the summer, it’s not surprising the 22 year-old French youngster, who cost Newcastle a meager £500K in the summer from Metz, is getting some publicity before Newcastle’s titanic game against Arsenal late tomorrow afternoon.

Sebastien Bassong – happy to be at Newcastle United

Yet Bassong, who appears to be a first class professional, is only focused on the crucial game with Arsenal, and told the Evening Chronicle today:

“I came here to play in the big games.” “For me it’s a new country and a new league to play in – everything is good.”

“I’m enjoying it here at Newcastle because I’m playing.” “When you play football it’s the best gift you can have in life. So I’m enjoying it.”

“I hope that everything will be fine in the dressing room for the future.” “But for myself I am happy to be here.”

Bassong’s progress has been little short of unbelievable since he joined Newcastle in August, but when he did play early in the season, like against Coventry in the Carling Cup, he played very well indeed and was solid at the back.

He did get his place at left back for a while early in the season, before finally being moved to his favorite position of center-back for the game at Chelsea, after Steve Taylor was injured.

That Chelsea game was on 22nd November, and Sebastien played magnificently, and he’s been a starter ever since, and has also probably been Newcastle’s best player in this, his very first season, in the English Premier league.

Bassong contined:

“For myself, I’m not surprised. I was ready in my head to play in the Premier League.” “Once I knew I was coming to England to play for Newcastle, I was ready. I told that to my family and friends.”

“I knew all about the English spirit, and I knew that I am the type of player who can deal with it.” “I’m not surprised I’ve slotted in so well.”

Sebastien has an almost perfect temperament to be a top-class player, becasue he’s very confident in his own abilities, but takes nothing for granted and is down to earth, and seems ready for every single game.

Newcastle fans are hoping a couple of things – the first is that we can indeed survive in the English top league this year, and the second is that Bassong will sign an improved contract at the club, that will keep him on Tyneside, for say the next five years. 😀

Then most of us can then be happy in the summer, and look forward to the club improving the size and quality of the side –  big time. The very last thing we want is have to go through is another season like this one.

• Monster

Mar 20, 2009 at 12:41 PM

Gotta hope we can keep hold of him.

• RyanToon

Mar 20, 2009 at 12:43 PM

seba song song song

he is better than boumsong

seba song song song

he is better than boumsong

to the left

to the right

do the frogs legs dance tonight

his the man

he is key

and he

shi** on bellamy

• Toon Graeme

Mar 20, 2009 at 12:48 PM

Ryan – quality mate.

• RyanToon

Mar 20, 2009 at 12:54 PM

toongraeme 😉 i attempted to sing it at bolton but noone joined in lol, its abit of a tongue twister 😉

• Ericles

Mar 20, 2009 at 12:54 PM

Good to hear this Seb. Show Arse and All and the Sun on Saturday just why the Toon Army loves you.

• beyethegreat

Mar 20, 2009 at 12:58 PM

lol ryan any more for any other players

btw did any 1 see barclays prem world this would be s taylors 5 a side team

harper
    bass
    colo
    r taylor
    owen

i guess he isnt going in to management then

• RyanToon

Mar 20, 2009 at 12:59 PM

ANYONE know, what the new england kit looks like???

• RyanToon

Mar 20, 2009 at 1:01 PM

beyethegreat

no mate just the oh gutierrez one 😉

yh i saw it mate on premier league world, i think its safe to say he wont go into managment 😉

my 5 a side toon team

harper
    beye
    bassong
    jonas
    martins

• ACD

Mar 20, 2009 at 1:04 PM

best defender we’ve had since woodgate, and may even be better IF we can keep hold of him. I will actually cry if we sold him this summer!

he’s been the best player this season by a mile. I dont know how anyone can say jonas has been better, he couldnt cross a bridge! works hard but no end product, bring in benayoun!

• beyethegreat

Mar 20, 2009 at 1:04 PM

ryan yours is much better about the england kiti seen a pic of it somewhere(i cant remember where) butt the fa claimed that the real 1 looked nothing like the one that i seen

• beyethegreat

Mar 20, 2009 at 1:05 PM

acd

bassong imo is better than woodgate

• RyanToon

Mar 20, 2009 at 1:06 PM

ok beyethegreat

i was thinking of getting it

• beyethegreat

Mar 20, 2009 at 1:07 PM

• ACD

Mar 20, 2009 at 1:08 PM

He’s not better than what woodgate was just yet. Just imagine if we could have them both playing together now!

• beyethegreat

Mar 20, 2009 at 1:10 PM

ryan

i am the same i always get the england strips home and away since 98 no matter what it looks like and i always get the toon home strip i have had every toon home strip since the broon ale 1

• beyethegreat

Mar 20, 2009 at 1:12 PM

brown ale lol

acd

i think he is so far this season i can think of maybe2 mistakes he has made 1 was last week against hull the other was against wigan when he pulled heskey NEAR the box

• RyanToon

Mar 20, 2009 at 1:12 PM

beyethegreat

if thats the england one then i dont really like the red and white (if ya know what i mean 😉

yh iget every toon shirt. home away and third (if there is one) for the last 10 years mate

• beyethegreat

Mar 20, 2009 at 1:16 PM

ryan

that is impressive i usually dont get the 3rd or aaway kit coz the odd time when i go to a match i want to be as black n white as possable

• ACD

Mar 20, 2009 at 1:16 PM

beye

yeah he’s been excellent all season i agree, and i think our defence will improve when s taylor is dropped and beye is brought back in….he’s a class act!

i just pray to god we dont cash in on bassong, but then again, we’ve got to stay up first or we can kiss goodbye to most of our players! haha

bassong has been our shining light through depressing times

• RyanToon

Mar 20, 2009 at 1:17 PM

yh beyethegreat ive got the silver one this season but weve wore it once (coventry away) and it cost 40 quid bit of a rip off really but still i wear it

• lesh

Mar 20, 2009 at 1:17 PM

beyethegreat ….. you on commission or summit?

Agree with you though, the England strips are K….. R…… A…….. P!

Anyway, back to the NUFC blog eh? Although we live in a ‘democracy’ where we have free speech…… well er…., hm,there must be some way of managers and agents feeding unsettling rubbish to the press!

Ah, I know how we can stop it, have bassong’s name changed to Barclays (tax evasasion etc)

• beyethegreat

Mar 20, 2009 at 1:22 PM

acd i dont think taylor has been bad at rb but i know what you mean

ryan

yeah tell me about it did u nt get ur free valencia ticket with it though

lesh

yeah i hate it when 1 of our players are linked with a move away and when it is false i hate it when players are linked to us

• RyanToon

Mar 20, 2009 at 1:26 PM

no beye that was the purple one mate

• beyethegreat

Mar 20, 2009 at 1:28 PM

ryan are you surei am sure they unveilleed the silver 1 at valencia

• LoonyToon @ graft

Mar 20, 2009 at 2:22 PM

Vital we hang onto him in the summer…We can build a side around this lad….he is that good….

It was mentioned above that he is the best centre half since Woodgate…..totally agree….

Another big test for him 2moz against an excellent Arsenal side….

then next week against Chelsea…..if I was him I would be rubbing my hands at the prospect of showing how good I was….

once we have secured our place in the prem next year, contract will be offerred and I am more than confident he will sign it….

top player

• chuck

Mar 20, 2009 at 3:12 PM

We plucked him from obscurity, gave him an opportunity, gave him a bigger stage on which to perform, whats not to be happy about.
    In truth he took his opportunity and has done well, but once a top team calls he is off.
    No decent player is going to hang around a disfunctional team in the provinces when they could be at a glamerous London club.

• heavyhittas

Mar 20, 2009 at 7:24 PM

Bassong is a good PROSPECT at the moment but he seems to be getting ideas above his station. For a Frenchman who cannot speak much English he has a lot to say of late in the Chronicle. If he gets the chance to go to Arsenal though, well, who could blame him?

• Tom_Toon

Mar 20, 2009 at 9:54 PM

Bassong speak perfect English.

He has done since the day he joined, as shown on interviews on nufcTV.

• Tom_Toon

Mar 20, 2009 at 9:55 PM

This inteview is slightly more reassuring if we stay up.

• Tom_Toon

Mar 20, 2009 at 10:03 PM

• Sav

Mar 21, 2009 at 1:27 AM

Ed, they’ve said how much they are going to spend in the summer and it isn’t much. And its made less by the ridiculous insistence to pay upfront for purchases and take rain checks on payment for outgoing players.

Great.