D Day Is April 6th For Joe Kinnear

Joe Kinnear has talked to the local Evening Chronicle today, and says that he fully expects Newcastle to stay up this season, and he also mentioned that April 6th, (two weeks come Monday), is when he has lots of tests, the results of which will determine just when he can return at Newcastle.

joe-kinnear-46576

Joe Kinnear – confident Newcastle will stay up this season

Kinnear told the Evening Chronicle today:

“We’ve got the five home games, starting with Arsenal tonight.” “And then Chelsea, Portsmouth, Boro and Fulham – if we do OK in them we’ll be fine.”

“If we get nine or 10 points from those five games, I am sure we will not be relegated.” “Away from home we can pick points up too.”

“I think if we get 38 or 39 points we’ll be safe, but we can get more.” “But it’s down to the key players being back.”

“I’d back us against any team when everybody is back and match fit. It would be a massive boost and give us more optimism.”

The thing that worries us is that Joe is still a good few weeks from returning full time, and we have games against Arsenal, Chelsea and Stoke before that.  If we continue our awful form of late, we could be in big trouble, and it’s asking a bit much of  Joe to come in and rescue the side.

It’s hard to think the doctors will be too happy with Joe going right back into the thick of things at Newcastle, especially if we become even worse off than we are now.

But one thing we’ve always liked about Joe is his ability to motivate players, and his Irish fighting character seems to rub off on them.   However, when he’s not around, like last week as just one example, the lads don’t seem have enough fight, when it matters.

Joe has said he is on schedule to return, as expected, at either Stoke or Tottenham.

He continued:

“I might not be on the sidelines at Stoke but I hope to be at Tottenham.” “I didn’t have a setback – I went for a routine check.”

“D-day for me will be on April 6. I’m going back to Birmingham for various tests that that will take about four hours.”

“If I pass all the tests, then I will be OK. I will have the green light.” “I am feeling very positive. I am always positive about life, as I am in football.”

“I’m just desperate to get back – it’s been so frustrating, especially when you look at the position we’re in.”

Monday, April 6th will be 7 weeks and 3 days since Joe had his open heart surgery, so by then presumably the doctors will know if everything looks OK.

We don’t question Joe Kinnear’s spirit one little bit, and that’s what he can offer, but we don’t seem to have too much of that with Chris and Colin right now.

But of course, the players have to take their fair share of criticism too, and there’s not too many players who that can be proud of their displays of late – maybe only the back four have played well these last few games.

We need some wins, and quickly, before the games start to run out.

• Toronto_Toon

Mar 21, 2009 at 1:48 PM

They should have sought a replacement immediately. I just hope we stay up, but a terrible gamble by MA and company.

Howay the lads!

• Stuart79

Mar 21, 2009 at 1:51 PM

It’s an absolute disgrace that the club have put us in this position ie managerless!

They have done this without even knowing if Kinnear will be able to come back to work!

The should have had assurances before putting us in this perilous state!

Permanant manager NOW!!!!!

• Danish_Magpie

Mar 21, 2009 at 2:21 PM

Pompey 2-1.. :-/

• Stuart79

Mar 21, 2009 at 2:22 PM

Bottem three come kick off- gaurenteed

• Bill F

Mar 21, 2009 at 2:27 PM

Bottom line is that we have to get the results from our own efforts and not rely on others losing. Regardless of who is in charge.

• Danish_Magpie

Mar 21, 2009 at 2:40 PM

I am almost certain that 3/4 these four will go down:

WBA
    Boro
    Newcastle
    Stoke

We just have to pray that we are the ones that escape.

• Danish_Magpie

Mar 21, 2009 at 2:47 PM

Btw I just thought of a Crouch and Oba partnership up front and wet myself.

• Nick D

Mar 21, 2009 at 2:52 PM

testing

• Dragonera

Mar 21, 2009 at 2:53 PM

I personally am happy we will be in the bottom three by the time our match comes around. Hopefully it will get the message across to the players that they now need to fight for OUR survival.

• TonyGreenSupreme

Mar 21, 2009 at 2:54 PM

Whilst I wish JFK all the very best in his recovery, I do not want him back as manager.
    He is CRAP……………………

• Sav

Mar 21, 2009 at 2:54 PM

We need an interim manager for the interim manager.
    Not really. But we need the right man to go forward over the next 5 years and more. Joe, with his health issues is not the man to do it. He’s not the worst by any means but neither is he going to surprise everybody by taking Newcastle into Europe and building a whole new side around Bassong, Taylor, Enrique and Oba Martins

• Johno Toon

Mar 21, 2009 at 2:58 PM

I would love Crouch to sign for us danish magpie , think he is top class.

I think we will stay up, Dont think we could of really sacked a man who just had a heart attack im sure there is laws against that sort of thing and yet another manager would not work at this stage of the season , think we will beat ( well prey prob a better word ) stoke pompey boro and fulham and prob pick up a draw or two before end of the season

• Dragonera

Mar 21, 2009 at 3:01 PM

This has been my forecast for the past week or so

arse – 0
    chels – 0
    stoke – 1
    fulh – 3
    pomp – 3
    boro – 3
    spurs -1
    villa – 0
    liver- 0

• sirjasontoon

Mar 21, 2009 at 3:22 PM

ANY LINKS FELLAS?

• jim

Mar 21, 2009 at 3:26 PM

sav-dont u mean build a team round beye and bassong?-martins and enrique and the rest wouldnt get in a man u or chelsea startin 11 guaranteed would they?-so why have them in?-martins is good but not top four definate start material-nor is owen hes got a couple of seasons left if hes lucky but no one wants him-

• Dragonera

Mar 21, 2009 at 3:29 PM

jim

get a grip, the gulf in quality is massive between United and us. Just because they couldn’t get into a Man U starting 11 doesn’t mean they aren’t worth building a team around

Also, anyone watching the Fulham game? They are absolutely killing United. It should be 2 or 3 -0

• jim

Mar 21, 2009 at 3:45 PM

no i meant in an ideal world if we had a mass clearout-and whos to say Martins wont leave? but yes i see your point-i was on about back to the drawing board-back to scratch-i cant understand why Nile Ranger and Doninger cant be given 15/20 mins at the end of games we are losing anyway-

• jim

Mar 21, 2009 at 3:50 PM

the whole team cant pass the ball without giving it away-spiderman has no balance and cant stay vertical for more than 3 seconds-owen and martins regularly miss the target-smith and ameobi are a waste of space-geremi, butt and co are clueless in seattle-at least the young uns like andy carrol have some fight- loven-grands looks more likely to score than owen and martins at the minute ide say

• jim

Mar 21, 2009 at 3:52 PM

comon! make me eat my words ya black n white bar stuarts! would love to get even a draw today, but how optimistic are we in truth? lol

• BT9MAG

Mar 21, 2009 at 5:07 PM

that’s my sister’s birthday – what are you all getting her?