Ashley May Have No Class, But Neither Does Dave Whelan

We have to admit to being a little surprised and even disappointed, at Dave Whelan’s almost out-of-control rant against Mike Ashley, in The Sun yesterday.

mike-ashley-9876

Mike Ashley – he has no class says Whelan – as he shows no class himself

We know the two don’t get on, and that is to put it mildly, but for Dave to come out and question the ethics and literally just smash the character of Mike Ashley yesterday in true The Sun fashion – hardly reflected well on Dave’s own character or motives.

Some would say that Whelan was displaying exactly what he was accusing Mike of – having no class at all. We hardly think his tirade reflected well on Wigan Athletic Football Club, where he is the Chairman.

One of Ashley’s friends told The Sun today:

“I suspect Whelan is commenting on the Newcastle business because those guys are about to re-enter competition on sports retailing. I just think Mike will laugh it off.”

And some of Mike Ashley’s friends are now rallying around the Newcastle United owner, and an unnamed Ashley ally (it’s that phantom spokesman again) has today told the Daily Star today:

“Mike has saved the club financially but, clearly, sorting out the football side is taking longer to do.”

“It would be interesting to consider what would have happened if he had not bought it, because the business side of it was clearly in financial difficulties.”

“Mike went in there to sort out Newcastle. It was in a bad way when he bought it.” “I think Mike feels that wearing a shirt and tie to matches is something that should be confined to the last century.”

“He certainly won’t be taking those comments seriously.” “They are old sparring partners. Dave Whelan used to own JJB and is the main competitor of Sports Direct, which has been a lot more successful over the last 10 years.”

“So he might be feeling a bit bruised because of that.” “It is no coincidence that the timing of his comments about Mike have reminded everyone he is back in the sports retailing ring.”

We are not going to defend Mike Ashley at Newcastle, and he would do well to keep mum about Dave’s personal attack on him.

There’s no doubt that Mike has made more than his share of almost fatal errors of  judgement at the Tyneside club, but it’s also fair to say that Dave Whelan has gone down a notch in our view, because of  his completely unprofessional outburst yesterday.

You cannot come out and just blast somebody in public, like Dave did yesterday, and not have some  readers question the character of Dave Whelan himself.

In business you have to hold your dignity, and not let emotions get in the way of  decisions or statements, and once you do that you are going down a very slippery slope indeed.

We know of which we speak.

• lesh

Mar 27, 2009 at 11:19 AM

Come on Stardust, here’s a chance to show your objectivity at its best!

• shearerbliss

Mar 27, 2009 at 11:20 AM

I think when Steve Bruce leaves wigan in the next few weeks, to work with Ashley it would show that Dave is just reacting to the obvious. We are a better equiped club than Wigan!

As for defending Ashley I would because as the insider said what would the club be like finacially if he did not arrive. The football side not really his problem but keeping us finacially afloat is!
    I would rather play in the champ with money in the bank giving us a chance to come back then play in the champ broke. FFS would have done the latter. Our decline was way before mike came in and I would always belive that!

• RememberShearer

Mar 27, 2009 at 11:26 AM

I LOVE THIS CLUB I REALLY DO!!! BUT MY GRANDFATHER WAS A MACKEM SUPPORTER AND WITH ASHLEY,WISE AND CO IN CHARGE I MIGHT HAVE TO SUPPORT SUNDERLAND!! Espeacially if we go down!

• RememberShearer

Mar 27, 2009 at 11:28 AM

JUST KIDDING!!! BUT I WANT ASHLEY WISE AND CO GONE NOW!!!!!!!!!!!
    OUR SEASON IS SCREWED AND WE ARE GOING TO BE A CHAMPIONSHIP TEAM NEXT SEASON SO SELL NOW ASHLEY!!! P ISS OFF ASHLEY!!!

• shearerbliss

Mar 27, 2009 at 11:29 AM

Come on things are bad but you are surly taking the piss!
    You have to support through thick and thin. To support the scum is boarderline ridiculous

• Kash

Mar 27, 2009 at 11:29 AM

Personally, Ashley is a better businessman and Whelan is a better club owner. Whats the difference between the 2?

Whelan is a football man, as he was a former player, and well, Ashley doesn’t look like he’s ever played a sport!

• sahota

Mar 27, 2009 at 11:30 AM

Whether anyone agrees or not, its pretty clear we would have been in a FINANCIAL MESS if MA wouldn’t have bought us. But now we in another MESS on football field. I back MA for what he done financially but at same time he could have done MUCH MUCH better on football side of things also. Even JAN transfer window was not treated as it should have been. He pocketed money instead of spending.

I personally think he need some adviser on football side of things, and that should be a person who is local lad and knows about football. That was he will be having a link who is acceptable to fans and also he can look towards him for football side of things.

Everyone is worried about relegation, and I believe MA is not. We should seriously rebuild our whole squad irrespective of we survive or not in PL.

• bennytoon

Mar 27, 2009 at 11:31 AM

Anyone watching the England game tomorrow or do you feel the same as me in not giving a toss about the national team anymore.

• Johnny Knobsock

Mar 27, 2009 at 11:34 AM

sahota writes “Everyone is worried about relegation, and I believe MA is not. ”

that is because Mike Ashley is planning to take Newcastle united into administration.

He is going to bleed the club and the Tyneside public dry.
    YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

• Toon Graeme

Mar 27, 2009 at 11:35 AM

Bennytoon – I agree with you on that one.

• Kash

Mar 27, 2009 at 11:36 AM

@Benny – I’ll be watching mate, I stopped going to matches a while back, but still watch on the box.

If I was to remain in London, then I would probably start going to games again. Plus I know the wife isn’t too hot on a South African holiday either, so no point of going to games if I can’t make the tournament either.

I’ll be back in Newcastle in a few weeks, so i’ll see if I can grab a cheap ticket while we’re in the fizzy pop next season!

• shearerbliss

Mar 27, 2009 at 11:38 AM

sohota, good point you have raised, but must disagree that someone who put more money than we can imaginge into a club and would not care about losing it!
    That is the problem to many opinons that are far from the truth.
    And in Jan how did he pocket money. Even if say he took 10mill he has put in 250mill crazy realy to belive he is BOTHERED about taken chump change from a few sales.
    Your arguments dont add up!
    I agree he does need some one on the football side but that is why DW is there. More trophies than anyone connected at the moment to the club, so if dont know football and how to build a long term future who do you sudgest?

• Dragonera

Mar 27, 2009 at 11:39 AM

Benny

My thoughts exactly regarding international week.

When the domestic league resumes i will be hoping Spurs put 6 past Blackburn though.

• hitman

Mar 27, 2009 at 11:41 AM

nicky butt has more trophies than wise shearerbliss

• shearerbliss

Mar 27, 2009 at 11:45 AM

agreed hitman but he is a player and does not advise the owner. But good call!

• bennytoon

Mar 27, 2009 at 11:51 AM

regards england. I cant get behind players like terry,cole gerrard , lampard and beckham when i despise them so much. Highlight of my morning so far is reading about terry’s light fingered mother. Italia 90 and the euros held in england were great because we had players like gazza, beardsley, pearce, teddy and barnes who i genuinly liked and felt they tried there best for the country.

• BT9MAG

Mar 27, 2009 at 11:57 AM

Shearerbliss, I agree with you there…It simply doesn’t add up which ever way you look at it – If Ashley is only after the money then surely keeping the club in the Premiership is the way forward! He isn’t a Spurs spy trying to wreck our club on purpose, that is ridiculous. The man is not stupid, nor are his financial advisors!

He HAS made mistakes, but he HAS done good things aswell – to be fair though, one thing that will split the fans down the middle is who is the bigger villain this season – Ashley for allowing the situation with Keegan to get so bad he felt the need to walk away, or Keegan for trying to bleed Ashley (and therefore the club) for everything he can get his hands on?

• BT9MAG

Mar 27, 2009 at 11:58 AM

bennytoon – leaving Shearer out of that list?

Would it have been different if he was player of the tournament AND on the winning side in 96?

• bennytoon

Mar 27, 2009 at 12:10 PM

bt9mag- you can add all the players involved to that list , even the gooners.

• Stardust

Mar 27, 2009 at 12:14 PM

I thought it was only us up here Benny that werent bothered about England.

Stopped watching years ago when David Beckham became more important than football.

• Kash

Mar 27, 2009 at 12:14 PM

@Benny – I can see what you’re saying, but that team of players you were talking about had this amazing charm about them. I’m not sure if it was the players or the fact that Bobby managed them for Italia. For Euro 96, it was the buzz of the country, the song that went with it and the fact that Shearer was banging them in! I loved both those teams, and I was so upset when we went out on penalties both times.

I don’t think that we’ll ever have such a buzz around the England team again.

• Stardust

Mar 27, 2009 at 12:16 PM

BT9 – no prizes for guessing which coward i bame lol

• Stardust

Mar 27, 2009 at 12:17 PM

Kash – it wasnt charm – it was pride – it was fight – it was skill – it was passion. All you have now is method footballer getting megabucks for appearing in Hello magazine.

• Kash

Mar 27, 2009 at 12:18 PM

However, out of the new players or current squad, I still have belief in players like Gerrard, Joe Cole (when fit), Rooney and Ferdinand. All have been quality players for us.

I can understand how people feel, because footballers only got such press when they played internationals, and thats when they were in the spot light. However, nowadays, with the way media is, they’re in the spotlight every day. Sort of takes the shine of things.

• Kash

Mar 27, 2009 at 12:20 PM

Uurrrm, actually Stardust, those teams had alot of charm, thats why they were so endeared by the nation. gazza with the tits, the dentist chair celebrations, the songs, the pop videos etc etc

• Kash

Mar 27, 2009 at 12:21 PM

And please don’t try to shoot me down again, some of your comments I appreciate, but your provardo from time to time is bordering arrogance!

• BT9MAG

Mar 27, 2009 at 12:22 PM

Kash, yeah I was only primary school age in 96 but I remember it all vividly; had the song on cassette, had the computer game, got the mother to paint my face for every match – absaloutely loved it. During the 08 euros they showed classic clips on BBC, that 96 tournament was immense, we had such a good squad and played stunning football – I still watch the matches now because I like to watch football, although I live in Belfast now, so there’s a severe lack of enthusiasm surrounding the team!

• Ross

Mar 27, 2009 at 12:31 PM

I still try my best to take pride in the national squad if im honest, even if there’s nowt to shout about. Being up in Edinburgh (and Glasgow alot), the scots adore their national team and despise ours, so i try my best. There are only a handful of the players i actually like. However, should we make it to the world cup final and Ashley Cole pop up and stick in the winner…i’d have to celebrate and thats saying something because i think everybody hates the fella!

• Kash

Mar 27, 2009 at 12:34 PM

Are there any business owners commenting or reading on this blog?

• Sal

Mar 27, 2009 at 12:50 PM

KK left ages ago.

If you hadnt noticed it is JFK & his moron gang that are in charge now, well JFK of course isnt medically capable of course, but you know what I mean.

Before the Ashley payroll syndicate respond with no one would take the job except JFK – There is a reason for that, and it isnt KK.

They are buffoons, games such as Stoke at home should be an eye opener for folks, but hey ho, maybe relegation followed by another relegation under these prats is what it will take before all can see how inept they really are.

• The_Lip

Mar 27, 2009 at 12:50 PM

1) Whelan vs Ashley? Just take a look at the league table. Who cares what Whelan says in the press, I’d rather have him as an owner than this buffoon Ashley.

2) I’m a Geordie – who gives a **** about England. Beloved of southerners, Sun readers and pathetic little Englanders. More’s to the point they are as crap as my club – why have two sets of heartache!

• Stardust

Mar 27, 2009 at 12:54 PM

26 Kash // Mar 27, 2009 at 12:21 PM

Lighten up fella ! dont worry wont comment to you again – looks like the season for hissy fits

• geordie jock

Mar 27, 2009 at 12:58 PM

Why the hell are we still talking about Dave Whelan cos personally i don’t give a toss about any other club. The only thing to bother about is our club NUFC and the complete shambles we find ourselves in all due to the Tosser that is Mike Ashley. How any true Newcastle fan can back this waste of space astounds me as he has personally destroyed the club.

• Stardust

Mar 27, 2009 at 1:02 PM

Geordie Jock

“How any true Newcastle fan can back this waste of space astounds me as he has personally destroyed the club.”

Why – quite easy as we deal in fact and reality – we dont think in knee jerks

• BT9MAG

Mar 27, 2009 at 1:06 PM

Geordie Jock

I think there’s a very blurred line between backing the club and backing the owner (in many ways they’re much of the same thing) and IMO ‘any true Newcastle fan’ backs the club regardless.

• UTD111

Mar 27, 2009 at 1:18 PM

I see Stardust is doing his multi-account thing again today…..create a crowd without even leaving your PC lol

By the way mate – only girls and (ahem) a certain type of boy talk about “hissy fits”…….

• shearerbliss

Mar 27, 2009 at 1:19 PM

I think geordie that there is a diffrence in supporting the team and the owner. In saying that just say IF we supported the owner a bit diffrently accept jumping on every story in the paper and rumours of top signings I think the lad should be given the benifit of the douht.
    I know it is not a popular stance but I would rather look to support the regime than let other supporters mock us.
    I like all fans hope we survive this year and kick on, but if we dont I would not blame the board for our demise, it has been coming over the years scince sounesss left!

• UTD111

Mar 27, 2009 at 1:19 PM

BTW Stardust – whats a “provardo”?

• geordie jock

Mar 27, 2009 at 1:23 PM

BT9MAG

I have backed and always will back the club but that does not mean i have to back Mike Ashley. I am absolutely sick of watching him tear the club apart and fans actually backing him for what he has done. Every true supporter knows he did not strengthen the squad when it was essential and now we find ourselves in deep deep trouble and almost sure to go down.

Stardust

Fact and reality, We are in the shit thanks to Mike Ashley.

• shearerbliss

Mar 27, 2009 at 1:38 PM

Agreed geordie but WHO would you have got to strengthen the team.
    I think he has tried, I know as fans we think EVERYONE wants to play for us but it is not that simple.
    From the beginning MA set out not to be riped off or held to ransom by any player even owen.
    I agree with this stance. So if the players we want (modric) decide they will come for x money we have to hold our ground and say no!
    I find it hard to back a team but not the owner who has put million of his own fortune in it.
    As said before he has MORE to lose than any of us if we went down.
    Every time he has tried fans complain. At the beginning colo was all the rage now he is a 10mil flop? It can be but only in Newcastle!