Nile Ranger Pleased With England U-19 International Debut

Newcastle’s Nile Ranger made his debut for the England Under-19 side earlier this week at Walsall, against the Czech Republic, after the 17 year-old got a late call-up last Saturday, following the withdrawal of Manchester City’s Kieran Trippier.

nile-ranger-2

Nile Ranger – almost the hero when he hit the post with 5 minutes to go

Nile must have impressed the England officials in training because he was brought on in the second half for Spurs’ Jon Obika, and paired up front with Aston Villa striker Nathan Delfouneso, as England dominated the game, but just couldn’t score.

Nile told nufc.co.uk today:

“I felt a bit of pressure when I first went on, but as soon as I got my first touch of the ball I was fine and felt confident,” “Overall I was pleased with my performance.”

“The call came out of the blue for me on Saturday after the Academy game against Everton and I had to travel on Sunday morning to team up with the England squad.”

“I’d never played at any level for England before and didn’t expect this, so it’s the icing on the cake in a great first season for me at Newcastle.”

And speaking of almost being the hero on his debut, when he hit the post with just 5 minutes to go Nile added:

“Dan Gosling crossed and it was just too high as I jumped for it, but the ball came back to me from Nathan and from ten yards I got a quick shot in but unfortunately it hit the bottom of the left post.”

“It would have been great had it gone in, but sometimes they do and sometimes they don’t.”

It’s interesting that Nile had never represented England at any level before this, and he will be a good advertisement for other youngsters, that if they join Newcastle, they will get the requisite exposure that can bring them Youth International honors.

Nile certainly seems to be delighted with his very first season on Tyneside, and so he should be, because he’s kept his head down and performed brilliantly.

There’s no doubt this lad in an exciting prospect, to say the least, and it wouldn’t surprise us too much, if he makes a breakthrough to the first team, as early as next season. Nile’s that good.

• Toon Graeme

Mar 27, 2009 at 11:44 AM

Aye, one for the future is Mr Ranger.

Shame you cant look into a crystal ball to see if NUFC’s premiership fate.

Im sure we will be safe. Call it blind faith if you will.

• BT9MAG

Mar 27, 2009 at 12:00 PM

I think it’s amazing how he has come to such prominence at Newcastle – let go for free by Southampton and now getting capped for England and hitting 20+ a season…What is he eating that the first team isn’t?

• sirjasontoon

Mar 27, 2009 at 12:04 PM

The only positivity this season has been from the reserves and the bright youngsters.

Hopefully Mike will be able to sell this talent off as well as he continues to shaft the club,the fans and the geordie nation.

This man has no shame and should be shot at high noon on the tyne bridge.

• Kash

Mar 27, 2009 at 12:23 PM

Whats only interesting is that 2 players, Rodwell and Gosling, have both appeared on many occassions for Everton in the EPL, yet many of our players have not!

• BT9MAG

Mar 27, 2009 at 12:26 PM

sirjasontoon – your very negative today aren’t you!

Although, I must be honest, the cynical side to me is equally worried that that’s what he’s planning to do…

Doesn’t make any financial sense really though, I mean, sell 5 players for 10x their original price and we’ll make 20-30m, get them playing together well to get us back into europe and challenging for domestic trophies and we’ll make that and more!

• Kash

Mar 27, 2009 at 12:35 PM

Are there any business owners commenting or reading on this blog?

• RyanToon

Mar 27, 2009 at 12:49 PM

i just wish that we could see nile in the 1st team he seems like a great prospect

• Tom_Toon

Mar 27, 2009 at 5:09 PM

He should get a few first team minutes.