Nicky Butt Furious With Newcastle’s Situation

Nicky Butt is nothing if not brutally honest, and he also has the reaction to Newcastle dismal position that we’d like to see from a lot more Newcastle players – shame and embarrassment.

nicky-butt-_1203165c1

Nicky Butt – furious at the situation on Tyneside

One of Newcastle’s most experienced players, who came to Newcastle after experiencing so much success at Manchester United, Newcastle’s Nicky Butt has talked today about the collective responsibility the Newcastle players must now take for their 3rd bottom position in the Premier League.

Nicky spoke to the News Of The World today:

“I am a player. I am part of why we are where we are,” “It’s p****d me off. We have 20- odd lads who are p****d off. We will all have different reasons as to why it has gone wrong.”

“It’s definitely in our heads. We think we’re too good to be working as hard as a Hull or a Bolton. We HAVE to work as hard as them and then our ability will kick in.”

“Maybe we think we don’t need to do that, that we’re too good. We think: ‘We’ve got Michael Owen, we’ve got Oba Martins, we’ve got Gutierrez, we’ve got Damien Duff – we’ve got all these great players, so we don’t need to work as hard. But the fact is we do.”

“I’m part of it. We’re all in it together. We’re going out for games and we have the thing in our head that we are much better than him, the person we’re playing against.”

“We think: ‘I’m a much better player and I can take it easy today.’ Everyone is part of that and we have to get rid of it.”

“It’s not work ethic, to be fair. They are all good lads who work hard in training and give their all. It’s something inside your head. I’m no different. You think: ‘I’m playing against this lad today, and I’m better.’ You might think once or twice a season: ‘I can take it a bit easy today’ – but you can’t.”

Newcastle are now even likely to be relegated, if anything, given the team has just 7 points from the last 36 points we’ve competed for. That’s not a misprint – Newcastle have just one win and 4 draws in our last 12 league games, and if that’s not pathetic, we don’t know what is.

There was the whole Kevin Keegan business, whoever was responsible for that debacle, that got the season off on the wrong foot, and the team has never really recovered from that initial shock of losing Kevin.

Nicky continued:

“It was all a bit of a distraction but it’s not an excuse for the players. It’s easy to blame the situation or someone else. Sooner or later you have to look at yourself in the mirror.”

“You have to say: ‘Hold on, mate. It’s not his fault. It’s me who’s not performing.”

“We all have to do that and try to turn it around for the last eight games. I hope the players are coming round to that way of thinking.”

We have said that we don’t really expect much out of the Chelsea game, and that’s because the lads have let us down so much this season, and last season, and the season before that.

They’ve let the fans down ever since the great Bobby Robson was sacked – yes sacked – which is really pathetic, given where we’ve been since Bobby left the club.

We need a spirited and gutsy performance against Chelsea, and we’d like only Newcastle players who have those qualities to bother turning up for the game.

• Purely Belter

Mar 29, 2009 at 10:27 AM

good to hear nicky say it, but why couldnt he tell the lads 4 months ago?!

• RyanToon

Mar 29, 2009 at 10:34 AM

shut up butt!!!!!

gutierrez is our BIGGEST WORKER

i really hope butt gets dropped for guthrie against chelsea he is a poor player IMO

• Shanghaitoon

Mar 29, 2009 at 10:41 AM

Here in Shanghai, Star sports sometimes show old FA cup games. I switched on my TV this morning and what should be on but Newcastle Vs Chelsea in the 2000 FA Cup Semi-Final at Wembly. I watched the likes of Alan Shearer, Dyer, Fergusson, Warren Barton, Gary speed, Nobby Solano, etc give their all for Sir Bobby Robson. They battled to get back level at 1:1 but lost it late on to a second goal from Gus Poyet. We lost the game, but that Newcastle team had pride, they had speed, skill, and ternacity and they pushed Chelsea to the very last whistle. They played Chelsea off the park for the most of the second half… I look at the dross we are churning out every weekend now and compared to that team, we are pathetic. Where has the pride and the love of playing for Newcastle United gone..? I enjoyed all over again watching nobby run rings round the Chelsea defence and hung my head remembering just what we are doing on the pitch these days.

They want to be getting some of those old dvds of games when the players actually wanted to play in the famous B&W stripes … and learn what good attacking play was all about…

It makes me so sad to to think where we could have been had we been able to hanf onto Sir Bobby or even if KK hadn’t kept spitting his dummy…

• batty

Mar 29, 2009 at 10:48 AM

Shanghaitoon looks like kk is being proven right

• Toon_Factor

Mar 29, 2009 at 10:56 AM

I too hope Butt gets Dropped for Guthrie, Butt slows down play to much and often does something stupid and looses us the game. But he has the right attitude though, he tells it like it is.

• JP...from The Rock

Mar 29, 2009 at 11:01 AM

Nicky Butt speaks from the heart. To be fair to him he did say it months ago and has been one of the few that really try to play decent football. I never really liked Butt but I have to admit he is showing his true colours now in this crisis we’re in. He has hit the nail in this last statement about the mindset of our players and the performances show that he’s right. We tend to think we will be fine in the so called ‘easy games’. We let them slip within our grasp and then buckle down hard against the top 4 teams which only cause our players to lose confidence, when we eventually lose and get more injuries. We desperately need our players to give it their all for EVERY MATCH no matter the opposition. They should go out there thinking we will score as many as we can against Hull for example and not think it will be an easy win at the end of the 90mins. It is like a cup final as they say but it’s about time they show it starting with Stoke which really is a 6 pointer and Chelsea is usually a no pointer so we could even go for a draw (it’s better than nothing). I too fear for the team more than ever and it is good Butt is being honest and said what I have been thinking for ages. Let’s see if it does the trick and we start winning!!

• will die for the toon army

Mar 29, 2009 at 11:04 AM

I dont care who is dropped or not but Buut is right. Him and Taylor are the only ones that are showing that care. He is the only leader we have through this campaign. Owen is a captain by example but Butt is the one who talks and he knows he will ve to stick with us while Owen doesnt. Butt misses the old Newcastle the one he signed for.

• JP...from The Rock

Mar 29, 2009 at 11:05 AM

I would love a win at Chelsea though. But Stoke is THE MUST WIN MATCH! The others around us have to lose also so we can make some ground. I believe that if we win at Stoke we will be safe at the end, but I fear that if we somehow lose we will go down and stay down for years.

• workyticket

Mar 29, 2009 at 11:08 AM

Toon_Factor // Mar 29, 2009 at 10:56 AM

“I too hope Butt gets Dropped for Guthrie”

So who would you use as a defensive presence in midfield Toon_Factor?

• will die for the toon army

Mar 29, 2009 at 11:15 AM

Am fed up of people saying Owen is going to save us from relegation its nonsense.

Oba and Loverboy all the way.

• geordie jock

Mar 29, 2009 at 11:19 AM

If the players minds aren’t right you have to look at Hughton after all he is supposed to be in charge. He has done a lot of talking lately perhaps he should try talking to the players more instead of the media

• JP...from The Rock

Mar 29, 2009 at 11:22 AM

It’s a shame Lua Lua has been shipped out on loan because we could really do with fresh young talent and creativity these days. He was a kid that could open a few gaps in opposition defenses. I guess his loan will help him develop but the club needs all the players we can get. I would go with this line up…

——————Harper—————–

Beye——-Bassong——-Coloccini——–Enrique

Gutierrez———–Nolan————Duff

——–Owen———

———–Martins———–Loverkrands———-

Maybe swap Coloccini with Taylor but I think that’s the best we can do.

• JP...from The Rock

Mar 29, 2009 at 11:27 AM

I like the looks of Loverkrands with Martins up front as they form a good understanding. Lovenkrands also is taller than Michael Owen and hold the ball better. He also knows where the goal is and how to get into those dangerous positions unmarked. He has been a good signing for us and if we could use him beside Owen and Martins then we will score goals fun I think. Similar to what we did under KK with Viduka last season but Loverkrands is quicker than Viduka and he is in form.

• Mags

Mar 29, 2009 at 11:52 AM

I know a lot of my fellow bloggers do not rate Butt, however I disagree. He is Mr 100% for every match.

During his career he has never sought the limelight, and just got on with his job to the best of his ability. So if he feels it necessary to come out in public and say these things, then it is a sad reflection on the majority of his teammates.

We have to stick together, players and fans alike and just pray we can escape relegation.

• Hobs

Mar 29, 2009 at 11:53 AM

YES! More talking about how it SHOULD have been!
    How many times has club officials and players gone out to the media and told everyone that they really SHOULD start to play well now?

The boy scouts should all shut their mouths and concentrate on their play.

What difference does it make if a player goes public about his intensions, when they all should have been made perfectly clear in the dressing room a long time ago.

It’s time to put words into action guys!

• batty

Mar 29, 2009 at 12:01 PM

mags agree m8

• Ross

Mar 29, 2009 at 12:16 PM

an incredibly frank and honest interview from Butt like, which i fully respect him for. You wont find many other footballers being as brutally honest about himself and his team mates as he has there. Its just a shame alot of it seems to go in one ear and out the other. As the old saying goes, actions speak louder than words.

• murvar

Mar 29, 2009 at 2:25 PM

The good thing about Nicky Butt is that he does not go missing on the pitch. He is honest and is always willing to take responsibility. He would be a much better player if the others around him we doing as much as him to sort things out when they are going wrong. That’s why I get fed up with people who criticise him.

• Rodzilla

Mar 29, 2009 at 3:53 PM

….hhmm, mixed emotions about this little number.

I agree that it’s very noble of Nicky Butt to come out with what us fans have always known for years. But in the same breath I am utterly disgusted that what we’ve always seen on the pitch has actually been ADMITTED! And he’s obviously no angel himself either with his…

“You think: ‘I’m playing against this lad today, and I’m better.’ You might think once or twice a season: ‘I can take it a bit easy today’ – but you can’t.”

…comment. How on earth any professional football player, earning such exorbitant wages could adopt this arrogant, half-ar5ed skive attitude is beyond me. And the crazed logic involved in thinking you need to play with less vigor and determination against a team you’re more likely to get 3 points from really beggars belief.

It’s a bloody disgrace. If we play like our lives depend on it against Chelsea, get nothing, then re-adopt the pipe and slippers approach against Stoke, I will personally pop my own eyeballs out with red hot teaspoons as a precautionary measure to never have to watch such tripe again. (well, maybe not that extreme).

As much as I’m sick of hearing these false rally calls from the players, it really is time for the players to pull their heads out of their @rses and start earning their wages. As ‘Hobs’ and ‘Ross’ have stated before me…

PUT YOUR WORDS TO ACTION THEN!

FFS

• NicoGF

Mar 29, 2009 at 7:15 PM

I would like:

——————Harper—————–

Beye——-Bassong——-S. Taylor——–Enrique

———–————–—–Nolan—————–————–

Gutierrez–——–—–Gonzalez——–—–—Duff

———–Martins———–Loverkrands———-

The thing is…Bass, S. Taylor & Duff have no return date. but Guthrie, Barton & Nacho come fit for that game (according to Physioroom).
    I just don’t want to see Butt.. that’s my dream..

Jonas imo must be forced to the right wing, he will play good football any way. Due to the fact that Duff is reasonably good and he can only play on the left side. Yes, I would like to use both of them, they add something..

• ObaMartins

Mar 29, 2009 at 8:34 PM

butt gives his all when playing, alot more than can be said about others…

• valle

Mar 29, 2009 at 11:04 PM

well, Butt has to take that long hard look in the mirror he talks about like the rest of them, because his level of play has been just as bad as the rest of the team over the season.

• Sav

Mar 30, 2009 at 1:02 AM

I think he said that, Valle. That was his point.
    At least he has had the guts to say so and like some others on here, I reckon we’d be worse without him and too often he’s had to do the work of two to cover for others. And at his age, over 90 minutes, he can’t be expected to do that regularly.
    Owen should have the captain’s band withdrawn while he plays a wait & see game over his contract. Give it to Butt.

Shanghaitoon, Keegan was Shanghaied.