Michael Owen So Sensible About England Exclusion

Michael Owen has talked sensibly today about his exclusion from the England Squad for the World Cup qualifier tonight against the Ukraine at Wembley.

michael-owen-33

Michael Owen – hey – Shearer is the new manager!

Michael talked to the Newcastle Journal this morning, before the tremendous Alan Shearer news broke  the news desks wide open – Michael said:

“When I’m not in a squad it’s big news,” “But if you look at how many squads I’ve been left out of, I think it’s only three or four when I’ve been playing for Newcastle and they have come when I’ve only just returned from an injury and I haven’t been completely fit.”

“With me, if I get an injury, it’s on the back page and it’s brought to everyone’s attention. I think that’s part of the reason people think I’m injury prone because it gets highlighted. It’s the same with England.”

“One or two games for your club before an international isn’t enough and that is what the manager has said. But people don’t want to write that, they want to turn it into ‘Owen snubbed again.’ We’ll let them have their fun and we’ll see if I can get back into the squad.”

Michael is so accurate in the way the news is reported in the gossip press, and most readers know we don’t think too much of it.

Owen is right to be philosophical about being left out of the England squad, but he is also hurt by it at the same time, because Michael is very proud to represent his country.

Owen  has a wonderful record for England since breaking onto the squad in early 1998, having scored 40 times in 89 appearances for his country.

But Owen also has a job to do for Newcastle United, in our attempts to stay in the Premier League, with Alan Shearer coming in to attempt to rescue the club.

Michael continued:

“I don’t ever feel as though the door has been shut on me,” “You’d have to ask the manager though. It is a concern of mine because I love playing for my country, but it doesn’t keep me up at night.”

“I know for a fact, if I do well for Newcastle, playing well and scoring goals, then, without sounding too big headed, I know I’m one of the best strikers in the country. People can write good or bad things, but if I’m playing well my international career should take care of itself.”

Michael is a very rich young man, and loves horse racing, but his fortune has done little to quell his commitment to football.

Michael added:

“That drives me on to keep performing. If I wasn’t bothered when I haven’t been picked, or when someone had criticized me, then I would have to question myself. If that was happening when I looked in the mirror I’d have to wonder why I was playing football anymore.”

“It does wind me up in a way, but only because I force myself because then I know that still means I’m fiercely competitive, which is something I’ve always been and will continue to be.”

We suspect Michael will be over the moon to hear this morning that his friend and former team-mate Alan Shearer, is to become the Newcastle manager, at least through the end of the season.

We suspect Michael may be a new player on Saturday – but we’ll need to wait and see on that one – but we still need something out of the Chelsea game, to fire the lads up to start winning future games.

A win on Saturday would also be just fabulous, it’s as simple as that.

• cashley_out

Apr 1, 2009 at 2:12 PM

1rst i dont care if he plays for england i only care if he is fit

• BT9MAG

Apr 1, 2009 at 2:21 PM

Same here cashley, but to be fair, the two run in tandom, with a fit/on form Owen Newcastle and England do well, it raises Newcastle’s profile and adds an element of class to our squad!

• Ashley Hole

Apr 1, 2009 at 2:22 PM

i like chocolate

• BT9MAG

Apr 1, 2009 at 2:24 PM

I love lamp

• Monster

Apr 1, 2009 at 2:27 PM

I read somewhere their periods attract bears. Bears can smell the menstruation.

• cashley_out

Apr 1, 2009 at 2:36 PM

ur write bt9 if he playes in the england squad hell become better and to classy

• Johno Toon

Apr 1, 2009 at 2:37 PM

bt9mag are you just saying you love random things?

Great line!

• Turkish Magpie

Apr 1, 2009 at 3:00 PM

dont care what now

Our bets for relegation have gone down considerably!

Cumonnnnnn!

Out here in Turkey we’re 2 hours ahead, me dads a massive NUFC fan living in England, He works in PC world if you’d like to give him a hi from me. Anyway, my fone starts ringing at 1:30 am this morning, i answer

“Hello(merhaba)”
    “Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaarrrrrrrreeeeerrrrrr!”
    “what?”
    “its Alan Shearer son, the dreams come true”
    “WHAT, GEEEEEETIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

My day just gets better!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cisse arrested!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    No more being favourites for the job!!!!!!!!!!!
    The legend’s returned!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Ian Dowie possible number 2!!!!!!!!!!!
    Injury’s returning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Turkey going to beat Spain tonight!!!!!!!!!!!(joke)
    And me personally, PROMOTION!!!!!!

God’s with us lads!!!

• Monster

Apr 1, 2009 at 3:00 PM

I love scotch. Scotchy, scotch, scotch. Here it goes down, down into my belly…

• BT9MAG

Apr 1, 2009 at 3:07 PM

“I’m in a glass case of emotion”

Anyone who likes Anchorman needs to watch Hot Rod, it’s produced by Will Ferrel and has all the lads from Saturday Night Live in it (i.e. Jizz in my pants/On A Boat/D@ck in a Box) … One of the funniest films I’ve ever seen!

• Monster

Apr 1, 2009 at 3:10 PM

BT9MAG I’ll have to keep an eye oot for that’n!

I’m gonna punch you in the ovary, that’s what I’m gonna do. A straight shot. Right to the babymaker.

• NotAGhostToon

Apr 1, 2009 at 3:19 PM

Bt9MAG, people missed my subtle quote yesterday “I DON’T KNOW WHY WERE SHOUTING!!”
    my mate was in a toilet once and he said ‘its so hot’ (in the anchorman accent) and someone in the cubicle shouted ‘milk was a baddd choice’ how class is that, ahh anchorman

• Whumpie

Apr 1, 2009 at 3:37 PM

Typical. I always turn up at the party when all the best drugs have been taken…

Turkish Magpie – your post made me smile. Not that I’ve done much else today. I think others on my train this morning (in Devon, so I’m the only Toon, I suspect) thought I was a ‘care in the community’ job.

AAAHHHHNYWAY. Back on thread: yep, reasonable stuff from Owen about the press. But he also needs to look at this season’s stats and realise that he IS injury-prone. Yes, we judge him a lot on that sequence of injuries around the last world cup, but just look at this season and it ain’t good.

He takes some stick, but I think he deserves better from us. I also think he’ll score a bucket-load against Stoke, the Smogs, Fulham, Portsmouth…

• Turkish Magpie

Apr 1, 2009 at 6:57 PM

Good to know Whumpie

• sirjasontoon

Apr 1, 2009 at 10:26 PM

Your England Career is over Mr Owen,Your fitness is a liability at club and international level,you can’t run properly and I hope you go to man city and get your £120,000 a week.

Massive wages no end product.

PS Ian Wright summed you up..Horses 1st,Football 2nd.

• DJG

Apr 1, 2009 at 10:56 PM

sirjasontoon

Bit harsh,

Horses 1st, England 2nd, Newcastle 3rd.

Thats better. 😉

• Premiership Manager

Apr 2, 2009 at 12:33 AM

Owen is a model professional however his statement, “I think that’s part of the reason people think I’m injury prone because it gets highlighted,” is a defensive one.

At £120,000 a week as SJT has highlighted he does not offer value for money and a further contract, would be a poor investment by the club based on his fitness and goal returns at SJP.

I for one hope the club are sensible enough to either let Owen go or offer him a Pay as you play contract.

£120,000 a week would pay the wages of two good up and coming strikers who would be fit to play in 90% of games and given the wage restrictions and business ethics of the club this is the way they should preceed.

If Shearer stays he will need a 30M minimum to replace the players leaving and add new players to the squad. At a guess we will need 8 players during the window if we stay up to bolster the squad, however it remains to be seen if MA has the funds or vision to realise this and move the club forward.

Signing Shearer is the first positive move the board have made since appointing KK when MA took over the reigns at SJP. lets hope he has learned by his lessons and we can start moving in the right direction.

• Tom_Toon

Apr 2, 2009 at 1:37 AM

• sirjasontoon

Apr 2, 2009 at 7:57 AM

Well said DJG made me : )

True though Mr Owen has never really lived upto expectations and his best days are now well behind him.

I wanted him to go in January as the Owen saga is just a pain in the backside and he is not captain material either.

• Tom_Toon