Shearer Appointment Gets Enthusiastic Backing From LMA Chief

The League Managers Association (LMA) chief executive Richard Bevan, has expressed both his support and excitement at the news today, that Alan Shearer has accepted the position to manage Newcastle United through the end of the season.

alan-shearer-45

Alan Shearer – classic shot of the striker

Newcastle are expected to confirm later today that Shearer is indeed to take charge of the club for the final eight games of the season, but there is nothing on the Newcastle web-site at the time of writing.

Ashley and Llambias may want to tie up some loose ends before making the announcement, which has already been greeted with passion and excitement by the Newcastle faithful, who have endured one of the worst seasons on Tyneside in living memory.

And we expect Director Of Football, Dennis Wise, who is meeting Ashley in Newcastle today, to be very likely leaving the club immediately.

LMA Chief Executive Bevan believes Shearer’s appointment will lift spirits on Tyneside, and Bevan told Sky Sports News..

“I am delighted,” “We have the G20 leaders round the corner from here trying to boost the economy and Alan’s appointment up in Newcastle will have a similar motivating effect.”

“I am sure the Newcastle fans will be ecstatic.” “Alan went to Newcastle back in 1996,” “303 games and 206 goals for Newcastle, he knows exactly what the fans need up there.”

“Alan has his B licence and his A licence and is in communication with the FA over his pro license so there are no problems at all there.”

“It is a very difficult place to manage and I am sure he will be supporting the existing management team there.”

And as Richard says this not good news for Newcastle fans, but very good for the English game in general, to have one of England’s great players take on managing his home town club, where he scored 206 goals, just 6 more than the fabulous one and only – Jackie Milburn.

My mother and father took me to a game in 1949 at St. James’ Park, and in those days the old Newcastle Brewery was across Barrack Road from the ground, and you could often smell the fumes of the hops from the brewery.

No wonder the lads played in such inspiring form in those days.

At my very first game iback in 1949, t was my mother who was pointing out the great Jackie Milburn, number 9, to me, and in those days the numbers were in red with the old fashioned real shirts, with button up collars, like the dress shirts today.

And when Jackie ran, his shirt blew out behind him, and that made him look like he was going even faster than he was – and he certainly had lightning speed.

That’s a fond memory of Jackie Milburn that I have held with me ever since – and Alan Shearer is on a par with Wor Jackie in terms of being a legend on Tyneside.

And today may be the dawn of a new era at Newcastle – let’s hope it is. 😀

• Isaac Hunt

Apr 1, 2009 at 3:21 PM

That’s enough Ed. Let’s wait for tomorrow.

• Steve_48

Apr 1, 2009 at 3:22 PM

Yeah, getting a bit sick of this sh*te now, even though it’s potentially good news, let’s wait for confirmation

• NotAGhostToon

Apr 1, 2009 at 3:25 PM

To be fair Isaac Hunt when did we last get good news, lets just baskkk in the glory

• Alex

Apr 1, 2009 at 3:28 PM

This is the best appointment Ashley could have made , Shearer will have the team 100%motivated by his presence alone . I don’t think its too late to save our premier league status either . We will win games under AS . I cant wait for Saturday . I am coming over from Holland with two dutch mates and they have never been to Newcastle before , I have a feeling they are going to be a bit surprised by the noise the Toon Army make . 🙂

• ObaMartins

Apr 1, 2009 at 3:30 PM

Great News at “Mr Newcastle United” as manager…not that it will change my OPINION of Fat Ashley

• Isaac Hunt

Apr 1, 2009 at 3:33 PM

NotA: As that Irish bloke says on the telly “It’s a good answer, but it’s not what I was looking for.”

• Isaac Hunt

Apr 1, 2009 at 3:38 PM

Wise and JFK leaving. Now that’s that’s what I call music!

• Zangwill_Ho

Apr 1, 2009 at 3:38 PM

Good news!

• Penalty-Spot

Apr 1, 2009 at 3:43 PM

Too late I’m affraid. If we do go down lets hope Ashley lets him stay on so he can dig us out of the Championship.

• knottsy82

Apr 1, 2009 at 3:49 PM

i don’t think we’ll go down i honestly did’nt even before shearer i think we have made a lot of mistakes this season but this is defenitly good news lets wait and see shearers geordie through and through so he’ll defenitly give %110

• Isaac Hunt

Apr 1, 2009 at 3:50 PM

I want to see my Experian credit report because: “I need two more season tickets”

• shearerwonderland.

Apr 1, 2009 at 3:54 PM

im thinking announcement at 5?
    half 5?

what yous thinkin?

• BlacknWhite Barmy

Apr 1, 2009 at 3:54 PM

Has it been confirmed or is this hte sickest April fool in history??

Why cant the club make an announcment – the silence is deafening and is one of hte reasons that Ashley and his cronies get such a rough ride. This is the only the second thing Ashley has done right (the other appointing KK) and we all know how the former went – lets hope mad ashers does not press the self destruct button again !!

• catchy in norway

Apr 1, 2009 at 3:58 PM

can anyone els hear the music from rocky or is it just me

good move thumbs up 🙂

• BlacknWhite Barmy

Apr 1, 2009 at 3:58 PM

Dowie as a No2 ???? Whats the connection – I would of thought King Les or Rob Lee would be a better match

• geordie jock

Apr 1, 2009 at 3:58 PM

BlacknWhite Barmy
    Ashley still doesn’t give a toss about the fans even after all the previous fiascos. I wish he would sell the club and just F**k off.

• Wigaz

Apr 1, 2009 at 3:59 PM

Ed i share in your excitment mate. This is the best news we’ve had in a while. Even players of the quality chelsea have got will be intimedated with 52,000 geordies singing “Alan Shearer’s Black & White Army!” at the top of their lungs. If these players cant get motivated under shearer & that atmosphere then none of them are fit to wear the shirt. Comon Al you can do it!!!!

• shearerwonderland.

Apr 1, 2009 at 4:02 PM

watch it be that little runt (wise) holding up the announcement

• Dragonera

Apr 1, 2009 at 4:05 PM

The hatred towards Wise is unwarranted and pathetic. Where is the proof of his “interference”?

• shearerwonderland.

Apr 1, 2009 at 4:07 PM

im not saying he has caused something
    im saying he has done NOTHING
    absolutely NOTHING
    jeff vetere has made the good quality signings
    so what is the point in him being there?

• Geordie Matriarch

Apr 1, 2009 at 4:10 PM

Yes, Ed, I remember Wor Jackie as well. Shearer is in same league as far as present Newcastle fans are concerned. He is our last hope of pulling things round and dragging us out of the relegation zone. I just hope it is not too late. Howay Wor Alan, and aal the other bonnie lads!

• Dragonera

Apr 1, 2009 at 4:11 PM

Different assumption, same ignorance. Where is your proof? You guys should take more of an objective stance. Especially when it comes to directing hatred.

• Waldo P. Barnstormer

Apr 1, 2009 at 4:14 PM

Still cant see how we will survive but I have a little more optomisum now. When I first heard this was a letter from a neighbour which our lass brought upto me in bed and still cant believe its not a wind up. I see that we need 10 points from 24 to be some where near. We have 3 at home and 2 maybe 3 away that are winable. Stoke will be the Acid test.

• Dragonera

Apr 1, 2009 at 4:17 PM

I thought we would survive regardless of Alan’s arrival, but the lift he will give the crowd will certainly help the cause.

• Rorschach is a Geordie

Apr 1, 2009 at 4:19 PM

I’m going to suckle every last drop of goodness from this morsel of positivity that’s been given to us today. Aye we’re still 2 points adrift from safety, but we’ve been given the ultimate Uma Thurman adrenaline shot. Shearer day shall be long remembered!

• Toon_Factor

Apr 1, 2009 at 4:24 PM

The appointment of Dowie is a smart move

• BlacknWhite Barmy

Apr 1, 2009 at 4:34 PM

Just a Q TF – on what basis is it a smart move – hes hardly set the world alight and he not exactly talked up anywhere?

• JP...from The Rock

Apr 1, 2009 at 4:38 PM

The Best News for Ages! (since KK was appointed only for it to turn sour) This is even better than KK’s appointment because Shearer has always been looking at matches since he hanged up his boots. He has been looking at players on match days and he knows who is doing what unlike KK when he was re-appointed. Also Shearer has more patience than KK from what I see and will be more professional about the whole thing. He really is the signing of the Decade for us. Sir Alan is back home to save us. His precensence alone will demand respect in the dressing room and around the world. Imagine if he stays long term (I personally think he will) the respect and admiration he will get from targeted polayers that are in negotiations with us. We would have players half way in the bag just at the mention of Shearer being The Manager 🙂 I had to rub my eyes last night when I saw the news I thought I was dreaming. For all the doubters THIS IS REAL AND IT IS NO APRIL FOOLS JOKE- CONFIRMATION BY THE CLUB TOMMOROW 😀

Ps.. It really makes me wonder what really happened with the KK saga because Shearer is no fool and wouldn’t accept Ashley’s terms if they weren’t right for him nor the club.

• geist

Apr 1, 2009 at 4:38 PM

has anybody got a link to sky sports news live? because im at my uni residence righ tnow

• BigLish

Apr 1, 2009 at 4:43 PM

Right – sorry to be the boring, down to earth one here but…………

This is only a good move IF we somehow manage to stay in the premier league. It is only a win win situation for Alan Shearer – no-one else.

I reached the conclusion after the Hull game that we were a gonna – and until we see what happens on Saturday thats what i’m still thinking.

I’m not Shearers biggest fan (as a person) but I wish him and the lads all the luck in the world – thy’re gonna need it!

• Widowmaker

Apr 1, 2009 at 4:48 PM

This could be a great boost for the players and fans. However, I think there are still things to be worried. Don’t get me wrong, I think Shearer was a great player and a great leader for us, but I am not so sure if he is ready for the challenge of this scale.

For MA, this is also the final trick for him to win back fans.

I am not saying he is winning us back by simply appointing Shearer, but MA must back Shearer if he stays after the season or the backslash would definately be greater than the one he had.

• JP...from The Rock

Apr 1, 2009 at 5:02 PM

At least Fat ASHley has done the right thing and acted before it became too late. He has appointed Mr Newcastle to manage his beloved club. I personally think it is a great move by Fat Ash and by Shearer as he has nothing to lose. I also think that Shearer should be here permanent regardless of what happens. Now if Fat Ash thinks he can play around with Shearer, the club and us fans again he has another thing coming. He HAS TO back Shearer up financially or else all hell will break loose and will make this season look like a stroll in the park.

• toonarmyuk

Apr 1, 2009 at 5:05 PM

Still no official announcement then!?

• There is apparently a press conference tomorrow toonarmyuk so we will find one way or another.

• find out*

• Girth

Apr 1, 2009 at 5:14 PM

Ed
    I live next to St james and yeah i grew up with the Hopps smell all the time, its a smell ill never forget, dont know if you know but its just been knocked down, make way for a science city for Newc Uni, as well as others such as the NHS, saw the plans, looks good!

• Hilly

Apr 1, 2009 at 5:24 PM

Is Wise really out? If so, that’s kind of disappointing. He was a a decent youth scout. I don’t understand why, with only 8 games left, wholesale changes would be made. Just bring in Shearer and an Assistant until we’re safe. Then they have the whole summer to regroup.

• Widowmaker

Apr 1, 2009 at 5:29 PM

Wise works with Shearer? I am not sure.

• Joey Barton 666

Apr 1, 2009 at 5:31 PM

well were has this kinnear is out business come from?

• magforlife

Apr 1, 2009 at 5:31 PM

Dragonera – have you had a mental block or what, KK tasked him to sign a left back to placate the fans after Milner was sold and was promised this but he was given a forward and a midfielder. If you were sent to the shops by your mam for a loaf and came back with a packet of crisps you would get your legs slapped and thats what Wise deserves, his arrogance was the trigger for the dispute and demise of our club, sorry for the lengthy post but if Wise had been deservedly sacked for his piss poor performance we wouldnt be chewing lumps out of each other.

1 2 3 8