Newcastle Is Now Truly United – So Watch Out!

It seems like it didn’t take Iain Dowie long to decide to join Alan Sharer for the remaining 8 games of the season on Tyneside, as he drove up to Newcastle immediately after Alan had telephoned him, and signed an agreement immediately upon arriving at the club.

iain-dowie-michael-owen

Iain Dowie with Michael Owen – go score some goals!

Iain told the Newcastle TV today:

“Alan rang me and he said ‘Listen, they want me to take the club for eight games and eight games only and I’d like you to come and look after the coaching side of it for me.”

“I couldn’t get here quick enough.” “I drove up that night and the deal was done in minutes for me.” “It’s a fantastic club and I believe it’s one of the big six clubs in this country, I really do.”

“It’s always been one of my favorite places to play, it’s a magnificent stadium.” “I’m absolutely thrilled to be here, it’s fantastic.”

“I spent Thursday morning coaching the first team squad and it just makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up because it’s what I love to do – I enjoy it better than when I played.”

It’s good to hear people enthuse so much about the club, because we’ve had so much stuff to put up with this season as fans, it has diminished the image of Newcastle United.

But that image can be shining bright again, if Alan and Iain can get the team on a good winning run, before the end of the season.

And now is certainly not the time to worry about whether Alan is staying past the summer, or not – now is the time to support the side big time, which we all know will happen in every single game through the end of the season, starting tomorrow against the mighty Chelsea and Guus Hiddink.

Newcastle is right now truly United, which will not be welcomed too much by other relegation sides. Every home game will be a sell-out and the fabulous Newcastle fans can truly be Newcastle’s 12th man, as Alan has already requested.

Then come the summer everybody will realize that with Alan Shearer the manager long term at Newcastle, we could keep Michael Owen, and also attract some very big players to the club.

But that should all wait until the end of May.

Until then – Howay The Lads!!

• bowdeni

Apr 3, 2009 at 10:14 AM

It’s been reported that Owen is likely to sign a new contract if Shearer remains manager after the eight games. Still, the source is only a ‘close friend’, but at least it isn’t the daily mail.

• sirjasontoon

Apr 3, 2009 at 10:23 AM

I would love the idea of us being totally united Ed believe me i would.

We are still very much fragmented and this will not be healed in 8 games it is just not possible after what has been happening at the club.

• UTD111

Apr 3, 2009 at 10:27 AM

I think Wise going has defused the situation for many fans, as he was seen as the major factor in Sir Kevin leaving.
    Things will be a bit deflated however if Alan does well but then Kinnear comes back in the summer – lets hope Alan stays on and Kinnear is given a job “upstairs”.
    But thats all the future and we can’t predict it.
    I’ve got a feeling something special might just happen tomorrow!

• Sav

Apr 3, 2009 at 10:55 AM

Lets be honest, its unthinkable that Shearer would eave in the summer if he keeps the club afloat and gets any positive response from the players.
    Whatever patching up his relations with the fans Ashley has achieved by appointing Al would be undone if he could not persuade him to stay – and that will mean Shearer will call the shots and get some real financial backing.
    As for Wise, it was the owner’s fault for creating that structure and backing Wise. He has done a reasonable job as scout. His sacking is emblematic.
    As for JFK. Give him his million if we stay up, but there’s a credit crunch on and we need the best people for every job. If he isn’t the man we need, that’s a golden handshake most of us would be more than happy to get.

• RyanToon

Apr 3, 2009 at 11:01 AM

owen looks happy

although so would i on 100k a week 😉

• Stardust

Apr 3, 2009 at 11:32 AM

Just watched the interview – it was excellent and just what you wanted to hear – genuinely positive

• Toonmania

Apr 3, 2009 at 11:32 AM

i haven’t seen owen looking that happy since, he scored his first goal in the 98′ world cup

• Montagu

Apr 3, 2009 at 11:47 AM

I hope people don’t mind but I started a blog myself just a few days ago and it coincided with this great news, so i will add my first post here to as it is to do with this topic. The fact that NUFC is now United and that it should stay that way for some time to come- the only way for success.

Today Shearer, Alan Shearer to the few who don’t know, was appointed Newcastle Manager and for the first time in some time things look more positive for Newcastle United Football Club.

The one thing that is usually easy to identify in a successful team is stability; people who are experts in their field working for long periods of time in the same place. That expertise may ofcourse not always be there at the beginning, but the basis for it must be. Arsene Wenger and the people he has around him at Arsenal are the prime example, they are a collection of talented people who have worked together now for many years, producing not just, in this case, a football team but a club. Mourinho is a good example of keeping the right people around him but he is yet to build a club. Why I actually feel so optimistic about Shearer’s appointment is not because I think he will save us from relegation, though he might, but because, unlike Keegan, I think he will build the whole club up around him, kicking off by getting in Dowie and Paul Ferris to support him.

We are now very near the bottom, not just in terms of league position, and maybe just like this present financial crisis, it may still get worse before it gets better. However, atleast now for a Newcastle fan there is a little hope that the future will be a little brighter. I wish the same could be said for those effected by the failing economies around the world.

The Geordie people are, too many, a nation and accordingly, with their love of club and football, have the potential to rival the great Barcelona in terms of the passion and fervor of their support. What they need is some of the Barcelona success. But, we need this club to be built up over many years, maintaining continuity in the bad as well as good times. Ancelloti is a great model for Shearer and this Newcastle management team, he is old-school Milan and has brought in numerous people around him steeped in Milanese history, but he has also applied the most modern of sports science techniques to ground the club. What though has been of equal importance has been the owner’s decision to leave him in his post when things weren’t or aren’t going so well. These are the lessons that we must now learn.

We have a guy in Shearer who is Newcastle United Football Club, he should still be in his position 15-20 years from now. Maybe, the time is now right for him and us. His ability in the bad times should be measured by where we are now, that should help balance the negativity and criticism that will come at some point. This will allow a storm to be ridden and success and progress to once again stampede into Toon. We will see, but one things for sure, I bl__dy wish I was going to be at St. James’s on Saturday.